Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2016, 15:00   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post

In the meantime, my car got hit by a biker and the front bumper is damaged to the point where it will need replacement.

Also, another funny incident occurred. I got an unexpected gift from Nexa RM as a new year gift - a bird cage (pretty useless for me) and that too after a month of new year!
Sad to see the damage to the front bumper. Hope its a straight forward fix.

And the award for the MOST irrelevant gift to a car owner goes to... Who in their right mindset, would gift a bird cage to a car owner??? Nothing gets weirder than this. Did you confirm with Nexa that they actually did send a bird cage to you as a gift?
Old 9th February 2016, 19:02   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I am sure the black portion comes separately. Kindly check the spare parts manual. No need to replace the whole bumper IMO.

Regards,
Shashi
You are absolutely correct Sir. I got the lower part of the bumper replaced. Cost was INR 2541 including labour and parts. Pictures below

Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-img_20160209_115354.jpg

Check the size of the windscreen washer reservoir. I was surprised.

Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-img_20160209_110924.jpg

The location of the intercooler and you can also see that one of the horns is placed inside the left bumper just above the fog lamp.

Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-img_20160209_111058.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Sad to see the damage to the front bumper.

And the award for the MOST irrelevant gift to a car owner goes to... Who in their right mindset, would gift a bird cage to a car owner??? Nothing gets weirder than this. Did you confirm with Nexa that they actually did send a bird cage to you as a gift?
Yes. The package carried the from address as my Nexa RM

About the Maruti Service Experience
  1. I had called in advance and they had already placed an order for the part. Thus I did not have to wait long.
  2. I was attended to immediately despite walking in without scheduled service.
  3. Work was done in under one hour.
  4. Workmanship is excellent.
  5. Rohit and Pratish (Nexa Service Advisor and Works Manager) explained the work done and we had a very pleasant conversation.
  6. I particularly liked the fact that they insisted on checking the front to ensure there were no damages internally rather than just take my word for it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th July 2016 at 17:29. Reason: Replacing image
sudeepg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 00:06   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for all the updates and keep it coming. Hope the bumper repair / replacement is done and your car is back to shape. If people don't perceive Maruti to be a premium manufacturer, it's due to some of the traits you rightly mentioned - rattles, large panel gaps etc etc.

1. Could you request the mods to update the title to include the "remap details on page 4" ? That would help some of us to jump straight into the page rather than going thru all the pages.

2. Could you post some close up pics of your door visor? I read your post on this creating blind spots, I never could imagine this. Would like to see how this hampers the vision. If you can post some pics from the driver's seat, even better. I am big sucker for such items which improve the aesthetics.

3. Any specific reason why you chose Code6 over Tune-O-Tronics for re-mapping. Since you are based in Bangalore, I assume both the service providers are accessible easily.

4. Not sure I missed it, how much did the Code6 tuning cost you?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th February 2016 at 00:09.
Old 14th February 2016, 00:06   #94
BHPian

And one more question, sudeepg. Given that you have mentioned noise/ insulation issues a few times (my observation as well on a TD car), have you given any thought to possible solutions to reduce outside noise?
C'estlavie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 12:37   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Hope the bumper repair / replacement is done and your car is back to shape.
Yes Sir. Please see the pictures in the post just above your post. The black portion was replaced and the fog laps re-attached to it. The fake skid plate didn't have much damage, so re-used it.

Quote:
1. Could you request the mods to update the title to include the "remap details on page 4" ? That would help some of us to jump straight into the page rather than going thru all the pages.
Will do.

Quote:
2. Could you post some close up pics of your door visor? I read your post on this creating blind spots, I never could imagine this. Would like to see how this hampers the vision. If you can post some pics from the driver's seat, even better. I am big sucker for such items which improve the aesthetics.
Here you go. These pictures were taken when I was sitting in the driver seat and holding my cell phone camera at my eye level. Both day and night pictures are taken. In one of the pictures I leaned over to the driver side window to take a snap of the scooter parked across and the next one with my regular driving position. You can see the difference! It's easy to miss him if he were to cross the road and I was moving ahead at the same time! In the third picture below, there is a bike right behind the pillar (between the bike with the number plate visible and the activa) and you can see 80% of it is masked.

Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-img_20160213_192031.jpgJourney from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-img_20160213_192040.jpgJourney from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-img_20160213_192057.jpg

Another common scenario is when you are taking a left or right turn into an adjacent road. The A Pillars are already thick and the added visors only make it worse. Although they are very convenient during rains, I have to take a call on removing them as the glue is very hard and could strip off the paint or leave marks.

Day time pictures
Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-img_20160213_095347.jpgJourney from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-img_20160213_095336.jpg

Quote:
3. Any specific reason why you chose Code6 over Tune-O-Tronics for re-mapping. Since you are based in Bangalore, I assume both the service providers are accessible easily.
The behaviour on my car is exactly the same as Sankar's swift (since it is DDiS 200). See the thread here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-downpipe.html

Also after speaking with Sajan from Code6, I was confident that these guys are very good in what they do. I didn't look further.

Quote:
4. Not sure I missed it, how much did the Code6 tuning cost you?
Please contact code6 for the details. Depending on what you need, they have several options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
And one more question, sudeepg. Given that you have mentioned noise/ insulation issues a few times (my observation as well on a TD car), have you given any thought to possible solutions to reduce outside noise?
I have to look into that but it's not a botheration as long as I am in the city. I need some real good time to figure that out and work has kept me busy for a while now. The other issue I have to sort out is the rear head rest digging into the passenger neck in its lowest position. I tried to use a head reset from swift, but the holding pillars of the swift are too thin and isn't a tight fit in the S-Cross. The upholstery folks are not willing to undertake a small job.
Old 15th February 2016, 14:05   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check the size of the windscreen washer reservoir. I was surprised.

I am guessing the same fluid is supposed to be shared with the headlamp washers (which is available in international model) and hence the bigger size (?)
Mi10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 22:44   #97
BHPian

Quote:
I have to look into that but it's not a botheration as long as I am in the city. I need some real good time to figure that out and work has kept me busy for a while now.............
Ok. It's good that it doesn't bother you. Keep us updated on how your driving experience goes.
Old 21st February 2016, 13:32   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
I am guessing the same fluid is supposed to be shared with the headlamp washers (which is available in international model) and hence the bigger size (?)
Yes, I believe you are correct. I never thought of that though.

Another update to my car.

I had purchased the following from Ali Express and completed a DIY yesterday

a. DashCam - 1080P Full HD Novotek GT300 140 degree wide angle car ($18)
b. Hard Wiring Kit ($8)
c. Fuse Tap ($4)

All of them arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, the power port of the hard wiring kit is not compatible with the DashCam (as you will see in the pics below). The seller had notified this to me and offered refund if the product was not suitable. So I have claimed a refund now.

I went ahead and installed it in a concealed way and is currently using it with the charge port in the front until I find a permanent solution to it. Pics below

About the Camera: The quality is OK but not what I'd call Full HD. I cannot read the number plates of other cars even when in close proximity and in daylight. So it's not really good enough if you wanted to extract finer details from the video footage.

I am using a 16 GB class 10 micro SD card and the recording is pretty good without interrupts. The device supports upto 32 GB cards.

There are tons of options in the camera
a. G Sensor (configurable) based recording.
b. Panic recording.
c. Configurable length of recording. (1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes etc)
d. Motion detection recording
e. Loop Recording.

Format of recording is MOV and it takes quite a bit of space for very short videos. Loop recording is very useful though. The mount is quite good and its very solid. The camera is light weight and the suction is pretty strong on glass surface.

Here are some pictures.

The hard wire kit. Notice that the connector is not compatible.
Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-hardwirekit.jpg

Routing of Wires
Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-siderouting.jpgJourney from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-glovebox.jpg
Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-sidepanel.jpgJourney from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-apillar.jpgJourney from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-headliner.jpgJourney from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-installed.jpgJourney from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-img_20160220_124158.jpg
sudeepg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 17:12   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
a. DashCam - 1080P Full HD Novotek GT300 140 degree wide angle car ($18)
Do post a few videos that you take at night. I did buy the same but was waiting for first service before I hard-wire the dashcam. Has tested it during the night and the video was pretty dark. Need to check if changing exposure settings will make it better.
Old 25th February 2016, 22:20   #100
BHPian

Are the features in Alpha worth the premium over Zeta? Are rain sensing wipers and auto headlights useful?
Old 11th March 2016, 00:25   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
Are the features in Alpha worth the premium over Zeta? Are rain sensing wipers and auto headlights useful?
Rain Sensing wipers - Yes I have left the switch in auto position and it works very well for intermittent showers as well as heavy rains. Auto head lamps are a nuisance IMO. They come on if you are in a shade for a longer period of time or if parked in basement, which is unnecessary for me.
Old 17th March 2016, 18:27   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Major Update : Last week, my S-Cross underwent a major update. It got remapped!!

Some observations:
Torque: Lost after ~3200 RPM and progress was very slow. Now, it is available all the way till ~4500 RPM from ~2000 RPM

Acceleration: in stock map, progress to 60 was quick and then 100 was slow. Now, progress to 100 is much much quicker if you up shift ~4000 or post, due to more power being generated beyond 3000 RPM. You really need to watch out for the RPM and speedo.

Drive hard and the fuel efficiency drops by about .5 KMs[/list]The car is really fun to drive now and I am absolutely enjoying it!!!
Thanks for the updates. A couple of questions since you must now be quite familiar with the remapped engine and the change in characteristics.

1. You already clarified that the acceleration is faster with the engine revving freely all the way up to 4000+ rpm. Does the remap also increase the ability of engine to do higher speeds? (just curious here given the increased BHP)

2. Do you see any change in practical performance, particularly in the 3rd and 4th gear?

3. Did the remap involve any change to the hardware? Meaning, did it involve any soldering on the ECU board? I noticed some wires in the 1.6 remap update.

Is there a RMP-Torque-BHP graph to compare the on-paper stock vs. remap performance? Have they already done a dyno?

Last edited by pannags : 17th March 2016 at 18:45. Reason: Added another important question
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:38   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
1. You already clarified that the acceleration is faster with the engine revving freely all the way up to 4000+ rpm. Does the remap also increase the ability of engine to do higher speeds? (just curious here given the increased BHP)
Yes, definitely an improvement (not by several leaps and bounds) since it delivers more power now. 118 PS compared to stock 89 PS.

Quote:
2. Do you see any change in practical performance, particularly in the 3rd and 4th gear?
The 3rd gear is tall and very usable in the city and highways. The bulk of the action is in 2nd and 3rd gear. 4th and 5th are more or less unchanged.

Quote:
3. Did the remap involve any change to the hardware? Meaning, did it involve any soldering on the ECU board? I noticed some wires in the 1.6 remap update.
Nope, not in my 1.3. It was a straight OBD flash

Quote:
Is there a RMP-Torque-BHP graph to compare the on-paper stock vs. remap performance? Have they already done a dyno?

I didn't dyno test my car yet and don't plan to either.

*** Service Update ***

My car had its 10,000 KM Free Service done last week. Post the service the car feels much quieter and smoother. I am glad that I asked for an oil change at every 5000 KMS. The engine definitely seems to have settled down well. Work done included:
  • a. Engine Oil and Filter replaced.
  • b. Air Filter cleaned.
  • c. Fluids topped up.
  • d. Suspension and bolts retorqued.
  • e. Brakes cleaned.
  • f. Maps updated.

I asked for replacement of the Cabin air filter since it was smelling a lot with the aircon on.

Total Cost of Service: INR 2802

The service experience was very good as usual with Pratham. They took the car in on time and delivered it back in under 5 hours! The car was washed and cleaned well and I have no complaints about the service.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 14:29   #104
BHPian

Just completed a map update for the head unit. Here's the procedure I used.

Required Information

- Name,
- Email,
- Car VIN Number
- Mobile Number
- Head Unit Serial Number (Click the Settings button from Home screen and scroll to end).
- New SD Card over 2 GB (The update will not fit into the current 2 GB SD card because the update is 3.73 GB in size.)
Note: The card can be FAT/FAT32/NTFS.
- Computer with SD card or SD Card reader
  • Visit: http://www.marutisuzuki.com/map_updation.aspx
  • Fill in your Name, Email ID, Mobile Number and Car VIN number (It will be on registration number as the Chassis Number)
  • Enter the captcha and click Submit
  • This will take you to Suzuki Map care update site.
  • Enter the Serial Number of head unit and click Verify.
  • Once it validates your head unit serial number, it takes a while and once the link is ready for download
  • Insert the SD Card (I am using a 32 GB Card in NTFS Format) into SD card slot of computer.
  • Extract the contents of the downloaded file to the SD card.
  • Safely eject the SD card.
  • Switch off the car and remove the old SD card from the head unit
  • Insert the new SD Card into the head unit.
  • Turn on the unit and ensure initialization completes.
  • If you are at this step, safely store the contents of the original card in a backup drive.

Last edited by sudeepg : 30th March 2016 at 14:30. Reason: Adding additional information
sudeepg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 06:46   #105
BHPian

Hey sudeep,
I am having an issue with the remap
It might be part of the tuning. Once I floor the pedal in 4th for overtakes the engine rpm zooms past 2000 to 2500 rpm and that excessively revvs the engine, settling back to 2200 rpm. It is like slipping the clutch even if i am off the clutch, something like a rubberband effect on CVT gear boxes. Have you experienced it.
I have been flooring the car often and this makes me a bit nervous. Have you noticed it ? Should I contact code 6 for better tuning?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks