Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2015, 14:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

Did you speak to Nexa guys regarding remap? Doesn't it void the warranty?

Even I'm planning to go for Pete's box. But if it voids warranty then i will live with stock car for a while.
Old 14th November 2015, 09:14   #62
t0m
BHPian

Re: Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

Even I'm planning to go for Pete's box. But if it voids warranty then i will live with stock car for a while.
A remap definitely voids warranty. On the other hand, a tuning box if removed before visiting the service station does not leave any traces, so no warrant issues.

I am planning for the Spider one, heard thats even better than Pete's. No black smoke and quite a few power settings. Still researching. Another option i am mulling is a race chip.
Old 14th November 2015, 12:44   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
It's a no brainer. No one will unless you have a good rapport with the service advisor. My experience so far with Maruti service is that they are not skilled enough to do major work properly, let alone something like this. Further, it is not easy to detect the map in my case, it's very subtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0m View Post
On the other hand, a tuning box if removed before visiting the service station does not leave any traces, so no warrant issues.
The tuning box as far as I understand controls some individual components by itself like the turbo and fuel inlet. If you plan to detach them before servicing, you need to know how exactly to go about it. In one of the threads for RD tuning box, someone blew up the box because it was connected to the wrong sensor. My advice is to ensure you know what you are getting into with each of these options.
Old 16th November 2015, 21:33   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Ceramic paint protection from Ultimate Detailerz
Hi Sudeep - any specific reason for selecting ceramic protection? from their website, I understand that they use CQuartz finest, which is a nano coating. I have been using Optimum Opti Seal, which is also a nano coating and has been very effective. I did do some googling and reading but was unable to find a big difference between CQuartz and other nano products. Do share.
Old 17th November 2015, 08:27   #65
BHPian

Ultimate Detailerz best offering is the CQuartz protection. No other reason. I have had good experiences with them in the past in the way they detailed my car.

You are absolutely right that it is a nano coating. I have heard about opticoat. Is that the same thing?

http://www.steamandshine.in/opticoat.html

All optimum products are good as far as I know and I think Ultimate Detailerz also use those products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Hi Sudeep - any specific reason for selecting ceramic protection? from their website, I understand that they use CQuartz finest, which is a nano coating. I have been using Optimum Opti Seal, which is also a nano coating and has been very effective. I did do some googling and reading but was unable to find a big difference between CQuartz and other nano products. Do share.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 09:33   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ultimate Detailerz best offering is the CQuartz protection. No other reason. I have had good experiences with them in the past in the way they detailed my car.
Good to know that they are good. What is the price that they are quoting for CQuartz and how often does it need to be renewed? Do share some before/after pics if possible.

Quote:
I have heard about opticoat. Is that the same thing?
http://www.steamandshine.in/opticoat.html
Yes they are almost the same thing and benefits are just about the same.
Old 17th November 2015, 14:54   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Good to know that they are good. What is the price that they are quoting for CQuartz and how often does it need to be renewed? Do share some before/after pics if possible.
The price depends on the size of the car. For instance they have different rates for sedans, hatchbacks and SUVs because the surface area to be detailed is more in case of sedans and SUVs. If I recall correctly, the rates for sedan start from 12,000 and upwards.

I was planning for CQuartz treatment but now thinking of opticoat. It's much more expensive and I'll have to plan since I have just finished my remap. Heart is willing to spend, but mind is not due to other priorities.
Old 20th November 2015, 07:57   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was planning for CQuartz treatment but now thinking of opticoat.
Have been doing some reading on Autogeek and watched a few video comparisons of Opticoat vs CQuartz and realized that both are almost on par. If Opticoat is going to cost you a lot more than CQ, you should just stick to CQ IMHO. Couple of other points to note:
1. Anti scratch and Anti swirl protection is good but does not mean that it generates zero of the above
2. Post application, it takes 2-3 months for the nano layer to harden and in this time frame you need to be super careful about how you wash/clean your car
3. Dark cars need more than 2 coats of CQ to prevent spotting
Advantages: apart from obvious advantages of paint protection
1. Minimal swirl & most small scratches are limited to the nano layer once hardened
2. Self cleaning - small dirt and dust particles are gone with the wind
3. Can easily last 2-2.5 years if done right and taken care of

What are you planning for glass surface - specifically the front windshield? I have been using optiseal and beading is brilliant but need to reapply every 3 months or so. Planning to look for something that lasts longer for the tank.

Apologies for hijacking your thread!

Last edited by procrj : 20th November 2015 at 08:00.
Old 23rd November 2015, 23:52   #69
BHPian

No problem mate! I appreciate the information shared, and you are absolutely correct about dark colours needing an extra coat or two. There is no technology that can prevent scratches but there are several (and often painful) ways to avoid it

a. First off, wash the car and use the sponge going in one direction, not going round and round. A pressure washer is a great tool to save water and wash the car, but not practical in apartments.

b. If the car is dirty, try as much as possible not to do a quick wash or in haste.

c. 2 bucket wash method helps a lot, but still a pain in apartments.

The way I maintained the paint on my city (previous car) was by following these methods and also getting it detailed every one or two years.

*** Some Observations of My S-Cross ***

a. One day after hopping out of a super market, the music system wouldn't turn on or boot no matter now much I try. Finally it started on its own after a while. Not sure what happened.

b. Rattles in the window frame are present now. Minor, but still an irritant. My city was dead silent even after 5 years of ownership! :( Honda Quality is better

c. You cannot make a phone call when backing up! Great one. I guess it's the standard in all systems and I just noticed it.

d. If you mute the music or reduce the volume all the way down, the music stops playing automatically. Once it so happened that no matter how much I pressed the play button, the music won't play, unless I turned up the volume! In a way it makes sense - when you are not listening, what is the point in playing the music?

e. Love the voice control feature. It's a good driving aid. Gone are the days of fidgeting with the phone to dial contacts with difficult names. The voice recognition system recognizes regional dialects too! Need to play a specific song? Just say Play <song>. Need to dial a contact? say Call <contact name> Mobile/work. Awesome!

f. A note on the navigation system: Unlike the pioneer system I had in the City, there is only one route that you can save. For instance "Home". You can save the current location as Home and then use voice recognition to "Route to home". I wish I could do this with other places which we frequent often, say Work, Friend's home etc etc. Navigation system definitely needs a good update.

I had sent feedbacks to Maruti and thought it had gone into a black hole. Turns out, they actually read my feedback and I got a courtesy call from Area sales manager for Next South. He was nice to speak with and acknowledged my concerns. Good going Nexa!

Had a few trips with office colleagues. With 4 people on board, the newly formed potholes in Bangalore were dismissed very well. Everyone loved the ride comfort of the S-Cross very much. I guess the Pirellis also make some contributions to the ride comfort. The car does feel sure footed during rains.

There are hardly any S-Cross in Bangalore. Not all notice, some don't even recognize the car and ask what brand/make the car is and how much it costs. Upon hearing the cost, they got a shock!

4 more people asked me why I "downgraded" from a Honda to a Maruti, i.e. until they sat inside the car and got a shock! They were delighted with the interior quality and more specifically the music system.

A guy in my office has bought the Baleno top end. Baleno looks smashing except that I think the head lamps look more or less exactly like Swift.
sudeepg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 08:44   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
b. Rattles in the window frame are present now. Minor, but still an irritant. My city was dead silent even after 5 years of ownership! :( Honda Quality is better
Thanks for sharing these observations. Its difficult to gauge these in a review or a TD. It also helps to set expectations from the product.

Rattles...well most Maruti products do offer rattles as a bonus feature. Can't help much really. But I was hoping that at least S-Cross would be better put up together. Hope this gets resolved during service.
Old 25th November 2015, 19:20   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the current map, I can drive it everyday like a stock map and when I feel like driving spiritedly, then that's possible too.Earlier, the engine was sluggish after 3000 RPM
So am I right in assuming that engine torque over 3000 RPM has changed? Does it behave like the stock map under 3000 RPM?

Quote:
engine is generating about 118 PS/255 Nm of torque.
Was this tested on a Dyno?

Now Ciaz and Ertiga owners will take notice and fly down highways.
Old 25th November 2015, 22:50   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
So am I right in assuming that engine torque over 3000 RPM has changed? Does it behave like the stock map under 3000 RPM?
Yes, I'd say so purely from my driving experiences. I didn't feel the a change of behaviour under 1800 RPM and neither in the mileage. If you keep the Accelerator pedal depressed well, you can easily feel the surge in power when the turbo spools up all the way to 5000 RPM. Earlier it was sluggish beyond 3000 RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Was this tested on a Dyno?
No, but these are figures from the tests done by Code6 engineering guys for the S-Cross. I won't do a dyno test since my application is not to see how much power the car is generating, rather make it more drivable on the highways, which has now been accomplished.
Old 26th November 2015, 17:50   #73
BHPian

Quote:

Hey Sudeep - I was reading your thread as I am considering the S-Cross. First of all congrats on the purchase and wish you good luck.

Actually, I am in a similar boat at yours with the major difference being that I am looking at changing my City (new 2014 model) V-MT petrol sometime next year (after release of YRA).

As you have pointed out in the previous gen, the City's quality was impeccable. However, quality seems to have taken a major backseat in the new version. If you refer to the forum, there are a lot of disgruntled owners who have complained about the new City and few members have already changed their cars (one from City to Creta and the other to a Ciaz)!

Will continue following your updates and when the time comes to take a plunge, will get in touch with you for more specific inputs based on my requirements.

Cheers!
avdhesh15 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 19:24   #74
BHPian

*** Interim Update ***

As always, the car is doing extremely well. I always make an excuse to take the cross out for a spin. I have completed 4700 KMS and the second service is due - well almost. I have a long trip coming up and I am going to get her prepared for the long drive. I will be changing the engine oil and filter for this service and get any loose nuts and bolts tightened along with a check on the status of the air filter. Fluids will also be topped up as needed.
  • I have applied the CR-70 films on the sides. This has further improved the heat insulation. I don't use the AC now up until 11:30 AM in Bangalore winter.
  • There are some rattles from the window even when they are tightly shut. It appears to be the play within the window channel that is playing up.
  • For folks contemplating upgrading to HIDs - my personal opinion is that it's not very useful with street lighting or city lights and even on highways with good traffic. You cannot see much. However, it's definitely very good for empty roads at night.
  • Last week I did a trip to Mysore with my family and a friend and his family. On the way back, the car rolled into an Omni at the traffic signal at Mandya. It was my mistake though. The fake skid plate cladding came off and I could not put it back in there, but was able to re-adjust and put it back in easily. That's when I noticed that the locking clip has very little clearance. This may explain why someone on another thread mentioned that the cladding fell off after he drove through the water at high speed. The clip does not have sufficient teeth to make a very strong hold.
  • Fuel efficiency still over 22 KMPL per litre of diesel - Great!
sudeepg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 13:49   #75
BHPian

For those thinking the S-Cross safety features may not be working as expected, here's a pleasant information from a real life experience.

I was on my way to office today at a speed of about 50 KMs on a main road when a santro guy joined from a side road at good speed without watching who is on the road. I almost slammed the brakes and successfully maneuvered the car to safety and stopped. My sudden instinct was to get out of the car to talk to that guy if he realized what he had just done, but couldn't move an inch. Why?

The seat belt pre-tensioner had done its job!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks