Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2015, 14:45   #61
BHPian

Re: Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective

Congratulations AutoIndian. TUV certainly looks solid and reliable. Excellent review with photos. Looking forward for more write ups on long journeys with the Tank !
KiranPatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 19:47   #62
BHPian

AutoIndian - Congrats on you purchase and the vehicle is very good. I have seen the vehicle in person, It looks really tough and Mahindra has done a commendable job on building this vehicle. I have not test driven it and would love to do that. Review is very detail and thanks for posting the pictures. Have a great miles ahead and enjoy the ride.
engine_charan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 20:15   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Congratulations! Auto Indian
Your ride looks brilliant and although I am not usually drawn to Orange cars, this particular colour looks good. The car has some design elements borrowed from the Range rover Evoke, i suspect.
A very comprehensive review of the TUV. I loved your enthusiasm and the attention to detail in your descriptions.
Cheers man!, wishing you miles and miles of pleasure with your new ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiranPatil View Post
Congratulations AutoIndian. TUV certainly looks solid and reliable. Excellent review with photos. Looking forward for more write ups on long journeys with the Tank !
Thank you alphadog and KiranPatil for your wishes and compliments. Yes the TUV has a close resemblance to the Range rover Evoque and I was thinking on those lines of blackening all the pillars and the roof. However I restrained myself and thought of getting all the basic stuff in place and then look for the add ons. Most important for me now is to get the registration number and number plates and then mud flaps.

Today I had been to RTO to renew my license. Its been 20 years since I got my first ever driving license. After submitting the forms and necessary fees I went to my dealer to collect the Tax Receipt. At least now I can take a sigh of relief. If ever the cops pull me and ask why I am driving a car without registration number, I can show them the evidence of registration tax paid (a week back) and it is due to the RTO lethargy that I did not get the registration number till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine_charan View Post
AutoIndian - Congrats on you purchase and the vehicle is very good. I have seen the vehicle in person, It looks really tough and Mahindra has done a commendable job on building this vehicle. I have not test driven it and would love to do that. Review is very detail and thanks for posting the pictures. Have a great miles ahead and enjoy the ride.
Thank you engine_charan. Seems your first post on TBHP, so welcome to the community. I am sure you are going to have a great time here. Weird looks, three potter under powered car, lousy interiors all these myths about the TUV were shattered in the very first test drive that I took of this car. One has to drive it to believe it. So hurry up and grab the first opportunity of test driving it.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 26th November 2015 at 20:17.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 21:02   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
What did I learn today @ my TUV? #2, 10-Nov-2015:
When I did the tankful on Saturday, the DTE was showing 692kms, Monday it showed me 775kms and now it is showing me 815kms. I think the ECU is adapting to my driving style. The actual FE figures will be known only when I do a tankful again after reaching the half way mark.
I had the same thing in my Bolero. The way it works as mentioned in the manual was, the DTE always calculates the average efficiency for the last 30 kilometers. Its a funny incident I learnt this. The 3rd day of buying my Bolero I went on a long drive. before the long drive I was mostly driving in city and heavy traffic which would have accommodated for 30 kilometers. Once I started slowly moving towards Highway and into the highway itself, I started seeing the DTE started increasing and also the average FE went up to 22 Km/Ltr(I was mostly maintaining the speed at 75 Km/hr), I was so happy, I took a photo and shot it to my Wife Later I realized that I was not getting so much when I did a full tank once I reached my destination. This is when I searched the manual and got the last 30 kms average DTE part. Maybe this has an advanced calculation in TUV300 with a new technology than my 2014 model Bolero. If you see anything different, let me know.
karthikd21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 21:14   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikd21 View Post
I had the same thing in my Bolero. The way it works as mentioned in the manual was, the DTE always calculates the average efficiency for the last 30 kilometers. Its a funny incident I learnt this. The 3rd day of buying my Bolero I went on a long drive. before the long drive I was mostly driving in city and heavy traffic which would have accommodated for 30 kilometers. Once I started slowly moving towards Highway and into the highway itself, I started seeing the DTE started increasing and also the average FE went up to 22 Km/Ltr(I was mostly maintaining the speed at 75 Km/hr), I was so happy, I took a photo and shot it to my Wife Later I realized that I was not getting so much when I did a full tank once I reached my destination. This is when I searched the manual and got the last 30 kms average DTE part. Maybe this has an advanced calculation in TUV300 with a new technology than my 2014 model Bolero. If you see anything different, let me know.
Thanks for sharing that info karthikd21. Strange the Bolero gets the average FE whereas the TUV doesn't, it only gets the DTE.
Old 27th November 2015, 23:21   #66
Team-BHP Support

Amazingly detailed ownership report Very few ownership reports have this kind of detail.

And nice choice of car & color.

Please keep updating the thread regularly.

Quote:
The Scorpio offers additional space in the jump seats and has a bigger engine, good top end.

Believe me reaching to the tonne mark brings a wide grin on your face, such is the pulling power of this beast. I have driven the Scorpio, Innova, Lodgy, Mobilio and Ertiga. When each of these cars are driven with full load, the TUV will simply surge ahead of each one of these to the tonne mark, may not be a match for the XUV though.
I really do not know as to how much have you driven the Ertiga or the Scorpio but till 100, an Ertiga [be it petrol or diesel] and the Scorpio [in M-Hawk avatar, not DI] will be effortlessly faster, everywhere.

The power to weight ratio of both, Ertiga as well as Scorpio M-Hawk are considerably higher.

For Scorpio, it is 48 BHP per metric/tonne
For TUV 300 it is 38 BHP per metric/tonne
For Ertiga it is 71 BHP per metric/tonne.

And in reality as well, Ertiga is faster than any Scorpio. Yes, be it 0-100 sprint.

Quote:
[*]You give the beans to this engine and it will cry and howl. This is no tarmac scorcher.[*]The three potter will show its nature if you try to exploit it
Outright power is not that great, definitely not in the league of its bigger sibblings, the Scorpio and XUV.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 15:04   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Amazingly detailed ownership report Very few ownership reports have this kind of detail. And nice choice of car & color.
Please keep updating the thread regularly.
Thank you Sheel for your wishes and compliments. The car was of my choice, but colour was chosen by my Dad and I am glad that it was the best choice . As I keep gaining experience with my TUV, I will definitely share it over here.

Quote:
I really do not know as to how much have you driven the Ertiga or the Scorpio but till 100, an Ertiga [be it petrol or diesel] and the Scorpio [in M-Hawk avatar, not DI] will be effortlessly faster, everywhere.
You could be right, but I felt the TUV more sprightly under full load conditions and lower revs. on highways the Ertiga and Scorpio would perform far better, but in city's stop-go traffic the TUV is a breeze to drive compared to the other two.

Quote:
The power to weight ratio of both, Ertiga as well as Scorpio M-Hawk are considerably higher.

For Scorpio, it is 48 BHP per metric/tonne
For TUV 300 it is 38 BHP per metric/tonne
For Ertiga it is 71 BHP per metric/tonne.

And in reality as well, Ertiga is faster than any Scorpio. Yes, be it 0-100 sprint.
Let us talk here only about the diesels as there is no petrol offering either in the Scorpio or the TUV. Not sure the source of the above figures of BHP/ ton, however quoting from official TBHP reviews and company brochures I have tabulated the specs below:

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-spec-comparo-ertigascorpiotuv.jpg

So on paper, the TUV figures are definitely a tad lower than the Ertiga and the Scorpio as far as the BHP/ Ton and Nm/ Ton are concerned. However what the specs don't reveal is from what rpm onwards the peak torque is available. The TUV peak torque is available right from 1500 rpm, whereas in the Scorpio it comes @ 1800rpm and in the Ertiga @ 1750rpm. In TUV the 187Nm torque is available at an rpm as low as 1100rpm, which is just above the idling rpm. What does this mean in real world situation?
  • The TUV pulls right from the word go
  • You don't have to do frequent gear changes in the TUV to stay in the power band
  • There is almost zero turbo lag in TUV (courtesy to the two stage turbo)
I have test driven the Ertiga for 25kms and the Scorpio for 15kms. Although these are very short test drives to pass any judgement, I will still stick to my opinion that the TUV feels faster from 0-60kmph mark. From 60-100kmph and beyond the Ertiga and Scorpio would be faster. Hence I said that on highways the Ertiga and Scorpio would perform better than the TUV, but it is the city driving where the TUV outshines the other two and 80% of my driving is within the city
Old 28th November 2015, 15:58   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Let us talk here only about the diesels as there is no petrol offering either in the Scorpio or the TUV. Not sure the source of the above figures of BHP/ ton, however quoting from official TBHP reviews and company brochures I have tabulated the specs below:

So on paper, the TUV figures are definitely a tad lower than the Ertiga and the Scorpio as far as the BHP/ Ton and Nm/ Ton are concerned. However what the specs don't reveal is from what rpm onwards the peak torque is available. The TUV peak torque is available right from 1500 rpm, whereas in the Scorpio it comes @ 1800rpm and in the Ertiga @ 1750rpm. In TUV the 187Nm torque is available at an rpm as low as 1100rpm, which is just above the idling rpm. What does this mean in real world situation?
  • The TUV pulls right from the word go
  • You don't have to do frequent gear changes in the TUV to stay in the power band
  • There is almost zero turbo lag in TUV (courtesy to the two stage turbo)
I have test driven the Ertiga for 25kms and the Scorpio for 15kms. Although these are very short test drives to pass any judgement, I will still stick to my opinion that the TUV feels faster from 0-60kmph mark. From 60-100kmph and beyond the Ertiga and Scorpio would be faster. Hence I said that on highways the Ertiga and Scorpio would perform better than the TUV, but it is the city driving where the TUV outshines the other two and 80% of my driving is within the city
Now, you are saying that from 0-60, a TUV should be faster, but earlier you were saying that a TUV will be faster till 100, have a look.

I have taken diesel car's power & BHP figures from their respective official websites. You too can calculate & see yourself.

How much time do you think it takes for the rev needle to reach 1,500 revs or 1,750 revs?

And if I am going to whip the car, why would I let the revs fall below 2,000 rpm in all gear shifts?

Sometimes, seat of the pants feel do not reveal the truth.

Please, I am not trying to put the TUV down, but these are facts
Quote:
Believe me reaching to the tonne mark brings a wide grin on your face, such is the pulling power of this beast. I have driven the Scorpio, Innova, Lodgy, Mobilio and Ertiga. When each of these cars are driven with full load, the TUV will simply surge ahead of each one of these to the tonne mark, may not be a match for the XUV though. That said beyond 100kmph, it won't be able to catch up with most of the above cars. I am OK with that for my kind of driving requirements.
Old 28th November 2015, 18:04   #69
BHPian

Amazing ownership review AutoIndian. The details shared are just awesome. Congratulations on the purchase and wish you lots of safe miles in this tank.
Are you considering any visual modification in near future like blackening the pillars etc.?
Aakarsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 18:56   #70
BHPian

I quiet agree with Sheel. Figures on paper don't always necessary translate to a better driving experience.

BTW Autoindia, since you are comparing the 3 vehicles and have test driven all 3, can you tell us which has the most plush ride quality in terms of pothole gobbling and bumps ironing out capacity with the least body roll ?

Last edited by TaurusAl : 28th November 2015 at 18:58.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 21:41   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Please, I am not trying to put the TUV down, but these are facts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I quiet agree with Sheel. Figures on paper don't always necessary translate to a better driving experience.
Agree with the points made but in real world scenarios, how much of a difference will 1 second make as long as you plan your overtakes in advance? Apart from the 60-120 kmph test in 5th gear, I dont see a jaw dropping difference between the two cars. I would assume that the figures for the Ertiga would be closer to what the Ecosport managed given their similar power to weight ratios.
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-3rd.png
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-4th.png
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-5th.png
Quote:
which has the most plush ride quality in terms of pothole gobbling and bumps ironing out capacity with the least body roll ?
Least body roll, best bad road handling would go to the Duster followed by the S Cross. I dont think anyone here is claiming that the TUV checks all boxes and one should not look beyond it. Personally for me, It checks all the boxes and hence my desire to own one
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 22:42   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your new buy, autoindian.

So finally an end to your mega search . I used to follow your updates on XUV500, Ertiga, Pre-Owned Innova etc. Initially I thought you will end up with XUV500, then Ertiga, then Mobilio but it was a big surprise that you fell for TUV300.

Thanks for sharing this very comprehensive review on TUV300. I don't remember coming across such a detailed and long review. Have loads of fun and happy miles with your new machine.

By the way, it was sad to hear about your experience with the pre-owned innova. Before buying my Linea even I was checking out pre-owned cars but it was strictly within my close circle. Nothing clicked and then I went ahead with Linea. We need to be extra cautious when we look at the pre-owned market.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 00:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
Amazing ownership review AutoIndian. The details shared are just awesome. Congratulations on the purchase and wish you lots of safe miles in this tank.
Are you considering any visual modification in near future like blackening the pillars etc.?
Thank you for your wishes Aakarsh. Initially I had thought of blackening the "C" pillar, but then shelved it. Thought I would use the car in stock condition for some time and when I get bored with its looks I will think about the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
BTW Autoindia, since you are comparing the 3 vehicles and have test driven all 3, can you tell us which has the most plush ride quality in terms of pothole gobbling and bumps ironing out capacity with the least body roll ?
The ladder on frame cars iron out the bumps quite effectively and are meant for rough road usage, however body roll is inherent in them. As procrj has suggested above Duster is a car, which can give you best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Agree with the points made but in real world scenarios, how much of a difference will 1 second make as long as you plan your overtakes in advance? Apart from the 60-120 kmph test in 5th gear, I dont see a jaw dropping difference between the two cars. I would assume that the figures for the Ertiga would be closer to what the Ecosport managed given their similar power to weight ratios.
Thanks mate for sharing those figures.

Quote:
Least body roll, best bad road handling would go to the Duster followed by the S Cross. I dont think anyone here is claiming that the TUV checks all boxes and one should not look beyond it. Personally for me, It checks all the boxes and hence my desire to own one
Same was the case with me and hence the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Congratulations on your new buy, autoindian.

So finally an end to your mega search . I used to follow your updates on XUV500, Ertiga, Pre-Owned Innova etc. Initially I thought you will end up with XUV500, then Ertiga, then Mobilio but it was a big surprise that you fell for TUV300.
Even I am myself surprised with my choice, call it love at first sight (rather love at first test drive). There was no better package than the TUV for my requirements.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this very comprehensive review on TUV300. I don't remember coming across such a detailed and long review. Have loads of fun and happy miles with your new machine.
Thank you for your wishes arun_josie. Cars are my passion and that has come out in my review. I enjoyed penning it down as much as you enjoyed reading it.

Quote:
By the way, it was sad to hear about your experience with the pre-owned innova. Before buying my Linea even I was checking out pre-owned cars but it was strictly within my close circle. Nothing clicked and then I went ahead with Linea. We need to be extra cautious when we look at the pre-owned market.
Yes, the pre-owned innova was the biggest mistake that I ever did. However I have overcome it without loosing much.

Today I had gone out with my family and while returning home the odo reached the four digit mark, yes it has now crossed 1000kms, exactly in three weeks. Sharing some pics of the odo and the central facia taken at night.

1000kms on the odo
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-39637.jpeg

The tacho and speedo as seen at night
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-39636.jpeg

The instrument cluster as seen through the steering wheel
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-39639.jpeg

The central facia
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-39642.jpeg

The illuminated glove box

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-39640.jpeg
Old 29th November 2015, 01:55   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your wishes Aakarsh. Initially I had thought of blackening the "C" pillar, but then shelved it. Thought I would use the car in stock condition for some time and when I get bored with its looks I will think about the mods.

That' good
By the way one more query please.
I haven't seen this color in flesh, neither in TUV 3OO nor in XUV 5OO. Does it looks as it is in pictures when seen in flesh or slightly different from the pictures ?
1000kms on the odo
Attachment 1444799

The tacho and speedo as seen at night
Attachment 1444800

The instrument cluster as seen through the steering wheel
Attachment 1444801

The central facia
Attachment 1444802

The illuminated glove box

Attachment 1444803
The cockpit absolutely looks superb when illuminated. The orange backlit goes well with the exteriors too.
Aakarsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 09:18   #75
BHPian

Dear AutoIndian,

Superb review ! Period. I will surely follow your thread for times to come to see how the Tough car takes care of you and your lovely family.

I just felt every part of the TUV and the search throughout your post. In the past have read many posts but your touching post deserves a big pat on the back. The TUV is a very good product from Mahindra and ticks the right boxes offering something unique in styling which was a gap in the current market. In fact motivated by your post, I went to the Infinity Autolinks (Vikhroli (W)) showroom to take a TD of the TUV T8 and boy oh boy does it have a awesome pulling power or what. While I am no one to question timing stats quoted by other friends above, but the TUV does push you right back into the seat and feels like it delivers a kick in the backside (maybe thats because its rear wheel drive compared to FWD of the other competitors)

If your ownership of the Indica is anything to go by, we are hopeful that the new addition to your family serves you well for many more Smiles.

Cheers and keep posting
xsrahul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks