Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2006, 16:06   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Verna Review!

Verna CRDI Just Seen!!!!

Just seen the Verna CRDI White .. There was no mention of the trim level except, CRDI at the back. But one thing that struck me on the white car was the distinct long sticker running the length of the car on the side door panels that said "Power of 100 horses" with graphics of galloping horses. This said it all.. Ford TDCi has a very serious terminator if hyundai prices this beast properly. In this review I would be comparing the Verna dimensions with its predecessor Accent and also its competitor the Fiesta. The sales person was not able to explain about any specific tech spec (like dog bar, etc on the fiesta) since there is no official communication yet on the car from hyundai.

Exterior
-------

Not the sort that excites you or makes you swooon... this is known fact from the images we have been seeing on the net.. The front hood is broad and bonnet slopes down towards the grill which looks a little awkward, but the fog lamps are rectangular and probably the best feature of the front of the car. (looks are very very subjective so this is my perspective). On the contrarry the side profile of the car is quite good with a nice ground clearance and a tall stance with a short stubby boot.. The pull-out style door handles with the high breastline do add some class. As we go to the back the tail light cluster is quite attractive though it looks much like the optra.The car doesnot have too much of a flare on the wheel arch but has quite a curvy shape on the whole. The tyres are the standard 175/70 R14 without alloys.
The short stubby boot deceives you, she is really spacious and take in lots, defnitely bigger than the fiesta.

Interior
-------

As I step into the driver's seat I'm greeted by some good seats (stiffer than accent but the same dimensions). My biggest grouch against the fiesta was its rather very uncomfortable tiny seats less in length and in breadth.. that is no more a complaint here though.. The seats are at a higher level than the accent. There is dual tone black and beige with black dashboard and area lower than it in beige. The door panels are half black and beige. the quality of plastics are much better than the fiesta and any lower priced hyundai. The steering looks to be the same from the accent though with tilt. The controls on the steering are the same as with any Hyundai. The gear box is a 5 speed forward with 1 reverse with the reverse shift on the left (like GM) with a pull out lever to engage the reverse. I did not like the gear shift much especially after having driven the fiesta, might be good if one takes the car out for a spin. The instrument cluster has two equal sized dials, one for the speedo with engine temp and the other with tacho and (!!) i forgot seperated by a whole lot of warning lamps like door ajar, hand brake etc.. It also contains a digital trip and digital odo.. But no DTE like the fiesta. The cluster looks modern and sufficient. Coming to the center console. This car did not contain any music system ,not sure if this was because it was a demo car or it doesnot come with one at all. The two din slots at the eye line level at the top of the console. The A/c is manual and the controls are similar to what is seen on the international models, the quality of the knobs and switches seems very very good. The A/c is very powerful and comparable to the fiesta. No hint of chrome anywhere on the inside unlike the ford. The center console is tilted towards the driver for easy operability like in the FIAT Palio. No center armrest though but a nice compact passenger glove box and the usual cup holders with a slot on the door too.
I could settle into a good driving position quite soon in the seats, (not much lumbar thought) , the road view is ok and the cabin is airy and spacious I feel it is the same dimensions in the front as the accent but defnitely feels bigger than the fiesta.Since I could not take the vehicle out I could only turn on the ignition and believe me the engine is quiet unlike other diesel i have been in absolutely no vibrations anywhere and no indication of the engine turned on. I could only rev her on neutral and could feel her power under the bonnet cant wait to take her out for a spin( Oh man i never wanted a diesel but she is irresistable!!). The other controls like power windows are all typical hyundai.
Coming to the rear, there is a handrest with the leg space better than the accent and the fiesta, just be just less than the city. The seats are quite comfortable with decent lumbar much bettter than the awkward position of the current accent.

No ABS and airbags are on offer maybe an add-on.

This was my first impression of her. In all though she doesnot have killer looks she does seem to be quite a complete package. The build quality is very impressive, the thud of the door gives you that reassurance. It is over to hyundai to price her properly.

Last edited by superamerica : 18th September 2006 at 16:26.
Old 18th September 2006, 16:21   #2
BHPian

Wow Superamerica,

Hot off the ovens.. The Team-bhp forum is beating the magazines for local review of new launches.

Kudos to you , the Verna and team-bhp.
Old 18th September 2006, 16:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Great review there!
Hyundai may be a disaster in luxury segment, but they are the kings in midsize and small car space. 100bhp common rail! When the accent came it took the market by storm, I guess the verna is going to repeat the story. Too bad they are not discontinuing with the accent
Old 18th September 2006, 16:25   #4
BHPian

Looks promising .
Esp with with the engine refinement being good and all
Old 18th September 2006, 16:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Cool. Looks like an exiting machine.
Old 18th September 2006, 17:18   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, Superamerica! How on earth did you manage that? Superb first impressions. How come you didnt get to drive her?

The Fiesta 1.4 is going to be slaughtered because I know Hyundai will price this one right.
Old 18th September 2006, 17:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Man, Superamerica! How on earth did you manage that? Superb first impressions. How come you didnt get to drive her?

The Fiesta 1.4 is going to be slaughtered because I know Hyundai will price this one right.
I could not drive her since she is to be launched nationwide "officially" on sept 25 and this vehicle was not there on display but in the service section of the showroom. so it was a "sneak" preview.
Old 18th September 2006, 18:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow! that was fast! maybe the first review on an Indian site!
Old 18th September 2006, 18:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Great job there - you've probably given the first insight to a new launch! Way to go!
Old 18th September 2006, 19:08   #10
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Amazing!! first impression... thanks...

Till now its been all Fiesta... though I am curious.. would this be a threat to the NHC!
Old 18th September 2006, 19:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

The local ford dealer here was telling me that the Ford 1.6 TDCI might be expected soon.
Looked up the net and found that the ford 1.6 diesel produces only 90 bhp compared to the Verna crdi.So if Verna is priced right we may see less number of fiestas on the road.
Old 18th September 2006, 19:58   #12
BHPian

I read in some recent magazine that the verna crdi would be 110bhp...but if u have seen 100...its still good enough !! i mean the present accent crdi with 82bhp is exciting to drive... surely this beast is gonna be one heck of a ride...

IMO fiesta 1.4 TDCi cannot stand in competitioin with the verna....its only when they launch the 1.6 tht we can compare the two....
Old 18th September 2006, 20:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

nice first hand review there. Some body told me its 110 bhp..I want that extra 10 horses and boost it with Pete's box. I won't mind the price then. Might change decision to buy OHC vtec to this one..
Old 18th September 2006, 20:59   #14
BHPian

Awesome man, great write up. This Hyundai looks to be a winner.
Old 18th September 2006, 21:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee
nice first hand review there. Some body told me its 110 bhp..I want that extra 10 horses and boost it with Pete's box. I won't mind the price then. Might change decision to buy OHC vtec to this one..
22k for 10bhp? Wont be worth I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks