Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2016, 13:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant

Please welcome the latest addition to my garage - My Sunshine Ray Celerio ZXi - AMT with safety option.

At 500kms on the Odo in a week,
What I liked:
  • Responsive, peppy, silent and smooth engine
  • Well sorted gear ratios and decent shift quality of AMT, with quick shifts in M mode. M mode gives a closer connect to the Transmission controller and avoids surprise shifts which sometimes happen in D.
  • Brakes with good bite and the right sensitivity, not too much nor too less
  • Superb ride quality and absorption of bumps and potholes
  • Good high speed stability and stiff composure at high speeds keep things calm - No drama
  • Good equipment list and lot of bells and whistles
  • Superb audio system with good connectivity.
  • Decent Fuel economy
  • Chiller of an AC -Does not sap too much power from engine either
  • Good interior quality by Maruti standards - Better than the younger sibilings and WagonR
What I disliked:
  • Personally feel that transmission is too sensitive and just too many upshifts and downshifts in D mode.
  • Lack of some essential equipment like Fog lamps, Driver seat height adjuster which are present in manual variant
  • Blatant cost cutting - Single remote key, non retractable assist grips, no tinted glass
  • Fixed headrests, thin seats are a little not so comfortable and the cushions need to put on weight badly
  • No security system
Since there is already a complete review of the Celerio by the mods, I dont want to repeat everything in this thread. Hence, I will specifically focus on these things:

1. The variant - ZXi(O) AMT whose review or details I could hardly find in TBHP or the web itself, apart from a few walk around videos and pictures, and also pictures of the Sunshine ray ZXI variant which is again difficult to find as the colour is rare.

2. My observations coming from being an ex-owner of a WagonR which is a direct competitor now with the AMT option on both cars.

3. Purchase experience and background.

I think these three aspects are informative enough for any prospective buyer and also I would like to keep this thread live by clarifying any queries put up here. I guess that will build up more information.

Lets start backwards,

My office commute is from South Bangalore to Whitefield, covering really congested areas. A one way distance of 23-26kms with free roads in the morning and around 30% of bumper to bumper traffic in the evening. The WagonR was my daily drive and occasionally in the SX4 when I swapped cars with dad. It used to return an FE of 11kmpl for the whole journey. Had never managed to get more than 12kmpl. This was without AC in the morning and 100% AC in the evening. But overall it was very easy to drive with light controls and except for the low end driveability, the car was a superb city runabout.

Though the Wagonr was in great shape, at 35k kms and four years of age, I was thinking of a Diesel hatchback to cut down my fuel expenses, and also get a car that had better features, dynamics and with better safety kit. The absence of ABS in WagonR made the brakes nervous to use compared to my SX4 and though the bite was good, the outer ring road of Bangalore springs up surprises of bikes jumping the divider, people crossing the road randomly, and so on. Though I used to stop to let people cross the road, there are incidents where people would just run across the road. Hence, I wanted a car with better brakes as well as a better ride composure. Initially I had planned to change the car by end of 2016 or early 2017. An automatic was out of question since the conventional petrol automatics i10, etc would have blown my bank account with fuel bills and I was actually unsure about the AMTs since I was looking for a decent hatchback in the range of the swift, polo etc.

I had earlier got a chance to drive the Alto K10 AMT nearly 6 months back and I did like the comfort in traffic. Apart from this, I have driven all kinds of automatics in Germany but in India this was the first time in the traffic conditions here. But back then, I had never thought about replacing my WagonR and I just happened to drive by the showroom where I knew most of the folks and they were happy to give a test drive right away. But their Celerio had gone out for another TD hence I was given the keys of the Alto. In medium paced traffic, the shifts were never felt except for the momentary pause in acceleration. Only under hard acceleration, the delay would be annoying. However, that was a short 15 minute 4km drive. I forgot this whole thing.

Three months back I wanted to try out the services of Revv and I found that they offered a Celerio AMT in their fleet. It was for a good price of close to 1k for a day and the car was delivered and picked up from my doorstep. This was a Vxi, with 25k kms on the odo. I wanted to see how the car behaves in continuous bumper to bumper traffic and how the transmission is programmed to work in such conditions. In addition to this, I had heard a few instances of transmission overheating in the car under heavy use. This was another concern I had with the AMT since I have a stretch of nearly 3kms of crawling traffic on my way back home in the evening everyday. In this traffic, the last thing you would want is a overheated transmission shutting down in the middle of the road. Another plus point being, the Revv car would have been used and abused by various customers but maintenance would have been just standard, compared to the TD vehicle in the showroom which would have been mechanically tip top.

The experience with the car was very good. The clutch had some judder in second gear but this would be the same with my WagonR too or rather any clutch that has been abused in such a manner. However, shifts were smooth and the car was in good shape without rattles and vibrations, which was a surprise. More on the performance later, but at the end of the day I returned the car with a smile. I had no complaints against the car or the service. Though I was a happy man at the end of the day, I gave a look to my WagonR parked in my basement and it still felt like new. I mean, I never found a reason to sell it.

Another significant development this day was when I pushed my mum to try the car. My mother used to drive our Omni many years back in open roads and traffic free areas. But the increasing traffic and her inability to manage the clutch had put her away from the drivers seat. She used to concentrate on the surroundings and traffic while driving so as to not bump into anyone and in this process forget to keep the car in the right gear and control the clutch well. Hence, she used to stall the car quite often. The moment she got into the celerio and put it into drive, she realised how good the feeling was when the car wouldnt stall. This ensured that her concentration was totally on the road, while the transmission took over the job of keeping the car running. She got so comfortable, that after many years she drove the car for a continuous 40mins, in all sorts of traffic and places without the car stalling.

This sealed the deal completely - I made up my mind over getting the Celerio.

Last edited by audioholic : 22nd August 2016 at 21:33.
audioholic is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 23:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant

Purchase experience and associated stuff:

It was in May that the Celerio test drive happened and in early June, we decided to put up the WagonR for sale and see the response. I had quoted a high price initially. However, demand was huge but somehow the price was never matched. Simultaneously, I went to the Maruti showroom and started the first round of talks. The first thing I noticed with the Celerio was, the price list was just huge. Not the price, but the length of the price list. There are
  • The regular Lxi, Vxi, Zxi, Zxi(Opt) - 4 Variants
  • The Lxi-AMT, Vxi-AMT, Zxi-AMT - 3 Variants
  • The recently introduced safety kit options Lxi(O), Vxi(O), Zxi(O) - 3 Variants
  • The AMTs with Safety kit Lxi(O)-AMT, Vxi(O)-AMT, Zxi(O)-AMT - 3 Variants
Totally, 13 petrol variants And there are 7 unheard unseen diesel variants which total up to 20 damn versions of the car, scattered all over the price range right from 4L to somewhere close to 6.8L bangalore prices. I did not even have the comprehensive ability to grasp so many prices. And neither was I budget specific. To hell with this, I cant even explain what variant of the car I have to anyone who asks me, since by the time I am done with the variant name their concentration window would have expired. Recently I had a colleague asking me about the car:

Colleague: Hey so you got a Celerio eh?
Me: Yup I did.
Colleague: How much was it on road?
Me: Rs 6.4L plus some for the alloys
Colleague: What? My cousin got it for just Rs 5.5 Man, you have not got discount. Which version?
Me: Ummm its the ZXi AMT with Safety option
Colleague: The Zxi costs only 5.7 man
Me: No this is the automatic and safety features add some money
Colleague: <Still not convinced, thinks that I have been fooled to this deal>

I know I am exaggerating, but this is how I feel when I tell what car I have:

Overlooking all these, my mind was narrowed towards the top of the line trim with ABS. So this was to be the ZXi AMT (O). I had to pay an additional 13k for ABS, EBD, Brake assist and a passenger airbag. This was a superb offer and compared to old times, Maruti Suzuki did not charge a premium that would shoo away people from opting for the safety kit. The brakes on the Vxi was good, but it is always good to have something better, especially when you get it at the cost of an entry level audio setup. Its just the foolishness of the buyers that these variants dont get takers and they spend more money in accessory shops.

After an elaborate round of discussions with the SA about why I should just settle for a ZXi AMT and not the safety pack, he finally understood that I am not the regular customer and just made the booking. From what I could understand, these dealership fool many first time customers into going for the mid line variants and rip them off with a huge list of accessories. I was given a lead time of 2 months for the car, and with no additional offers, and the colour choice was the rarest. They did not even know if the colour was still being produced. Why the colour - I am bored of the usual colours from Maruti, no different from car to car. Hence went for this one. My other favourite was Cave black but that was again not in the brochure and website, however, that colour was still being dispatched from factory. I guess that should be old stock and did not go for that option.

Since this variant does not come with alloy wheels, I opted to get the MGA alloys installed. Apart from this, I could not make the accessories guy any more happier. I was presented a huge list of seat covers, chrome add ons, reverse sensors(I showed him my SX4 without a reverse sensor to shut him up), some sticker packs, interior stickers and what not. Shrugged away everything and made the booking with following instructions:
All approximate prices:

On road: ~649000
Less: 10000(offer) = 639000
Less Maruti Insurance: 16000 = 623000
Add preferred insurance with 50% NCB from WagonR: 7750 = 630750
Add MGA alloys(4), side protector and scuff plates: 19500 = 650250

Included in this price was a basic accessory kit(new scam to me) out of which the only thing I would use is the puncture repair kit. Rest is a set of car care items, air freshner and a set of crappy floor mats which I didnt strike off the list as that would send the accessory guy to depression. The cost for this is somewhere in the range of 3500 and I just let it go. I would suggest people to give this a skip. Totally useless.

My wagonR was valued at a pathetic price, and that blew my fuse since I had spent a lot of time and money to keep it in pristine condition. Hence, since I had two months of window to sell the car, I took that task myself. However, as soon as I booked, I got the news that I had to spend a few weeks abroad since I had a critical work package to bring back and I left to Germany immediately. A month passed and there was no news about the new car, and I had not got a confirmed buyer for the WagonR. Hence, I had instructed my dad to give the car to True Value itself if the Celerio arrived any time. To give a rough time line, I booked the car mid june and left abroad end june. Until mid July, there was no progress.

One weekend, I got a call from the SA saying that the car was being dispatched. Hence I had to dispose my car soon. Somehow luckily, a gentleman visited my dad to check out the car and he was impressed with it. He sealed the deal around the same time and the price I got was 20% more than what was quoted by True value.

Last edited by audioholic : 19th August 2016 at 21:31.
audioholic is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 22:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting the car home:

The buyer picked up my WagonR when I was still in Germany, and I couldnt get to see it before it went. This was after my Celerio arrived in the yard outskirts of Bangalore. I arrived two days later and went to the dealer yard immediately from the airport since my dad had spoken to the SA and it was a sunday and we wanted to clear it for registration later that week.

The car surprisingly came with MRF ZVTVs instead of the usual JK Vectras on other variants. I had earlier planned to ditch the Vectras immediately after delivery and I cancelled it after seeing it. The car was fresh out of the factory with a July 2016 make indicating that it was made to order Earlier I had a feeling that the dispatch might push an older car to me.

Since I was pretty tired that day, I couldnt do a detailed inspection, but there was no suspicion on anything since it was not an older car. We paid the full amount of money and planned to take delivery on a festival here not because of auspicious reasons but that was the only day my family was free and the festive mood would be complemented well by the new car.

On the 12th of August, we took deliver of the Sunshine Yellow Celerio ZXi(O) AMT and went to a nearby temple for puja. Since it was a long weekend, I was able to start some customisations right from the next day. But we went on a short trip for the rest of the holidays in the SX4 and the rest of the time the Celerio was lying idle.
audioholic is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 22:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Enough of writing, here is the car in actual: Exterior pictures

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-101.jpg

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-222.jpg

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-111.jpg

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-333.jpg

The main difference in the Zxi is the body coloured mirrors and door handles compared to the black ones in the lower variants. In addition to this, you get turn signals in the ORVM which will devoid the fender of the blinker, making the design more smoother.

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-131.jpg

Same for the rear as well, and there is no keyhole present in the boot lid, which makes the bootlid look much better in conjunction with the body coloured door handle for the boot as well.

Exterior work done:
1. Blackened B pillar with carbon fiber textured vinyl.
2. Euro(German) styled number plates with frame
3. Door beading installed at dealer
4. MGA alloy wheels replacing the steel wheel and caps.

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-121.jpg

Last edited by audioholic : 20th August 2016 at 19:05.
audioholic is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 22:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Coming to the interiors, only the ZXi specific differences are shown here, since the official review has a detailed coverage of the interiors:

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-213.jpg

Coming from the WagonR, the interiors were a real welcome change. The fit and finish is way superior to the WagonR, and the materials used are of better quality. Since part sharing is with the much expensive sibilings, they look and feel better than my WagonR, except for the mirror controls which are the same. Though I dont like the beige in the door panels, I have to compromise, since while driving we get to look at the dashboard rather than the doorpad. The dashboard is of my liking with a good mix of colours and textures.The instrument console:

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-199.jpg

The car has got an elaborate instrument console with a good amount of parameters available via the MID and also the gear position indicator for the AMT. The fit and finish of the console is again good, and better than the wagonR where I could pull out panels with a slight force from my hand. There is some customisation possible for central locking, lane change indicators and display

The brightness of the entire instrument and the central console can be changed by twisting the right knob. This includes the brightness of the steering audio and calling controls too.

The center console:
My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-200.jpg

I am never a fan of the way after market audio fits into the dash. Here, it looks neat and clean. Due to the high placed gear selector lever, cubby holes in the dash are less, but this is good enough to store a wallet or a phone. There is another area below the gear selector, where some more stuff can be stored. The wagonR on the other hand had no storage in this area, except for a lame single cup holder which was tricky to use since it had height limitations and it wouldnt hold phones well.

AC controls are again, much better than the sibilings and they have a rigid operational feel. However the ones on the WagonR used to feel flimsy and especially the direction selector was like moving some old age lock. Here it has a much more uniform and smooth movement and feels sturdy to operate. Technically, the AC is a chiller and does not sap power from the engine like how it used to happen in my WagonR. I usually keep it at position 1 for regular use and 3-4 if the car has heated up in sun.

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-201.jpg

The audio system - A pleasant surprise:

Before I got hold of the car, I had already planned to add an active subwoofer for the car, as the first step in upgrading the audio. But once I heard this system, in simple words, its the best of the Marutis I have had and heard. Except for the Ciaz, S-Cross and Baleno I have heard the rest and my own SX4 too. None of them had anything close to Bass and the rest of the sound quality was just average. I dont want to compare the Celerios audio to a professional after market setup, but this one is definitely packaged with good overall quality and good bass too. It does not overpower the higher tones, but the lowest of notes can be heard at the right intensity. The only issue currently is that the door pad begins vibrating at high volumes, so the first audio upgrade step is some good damping

Connectivity is again full fledged with CD, FM, Aux, USB, Bluetooth options and it connects seamlessly. I prefer listening to files on a USB drive. As long as the phone is connected, irrespective of the source, calls are still handled after muting that source. Controls on the steering wheel make it much easier to do it. There is auto volume control too which varies music volume with speed.

Discovery: You cant setup bluetooth if the car is moving - Nice job!

Coming to the doors, the door pads are thicker and are tight fitted with a good mix of material and switchgear. The only grouse I have is with the colour, which is too light for my liking. Maybe the beige had to be a little more darker to feel better. The doorpad looks soiled here, but it is not. Its the difference in reflection due to the dressing liquid applied at the time of delivery. IT has been smeared randomly which makes it reflect light unevenly.

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-221.jpg

One difference in build quality from my WagonR is that when I used to pull to door to shut it from inside, there would be a lag between the doorpad moving and the door moving. Here it is not. Both the doorpad and the door move in unison and there is no awkward stretching and flimsiness.

But move to the rear door, you will find something annoying. The quicker you spot the annoyance, the better your eye for detail is.

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-225.jpg

Wheres the fabric?

This was something blatantly stupid of whoever did the product design at Maruti. Providing only front power windows is something, but this is just stupid. What will a 100 Rupee piece of cloth do to the price of the car when they sell horrible looking chrome stickers for thousands at their accessory divisions?

Combined legroom is lesser than my WagonR but the extra width of the Celerio makes a good move towards a spacious rear. The boot also is bigger and can fit more than a suitcase.

Last edited by audioholic : 21st August 2016 at 12:22.
audioholic is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 12:12   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

A note on the powertrain, drive and performance:

The moment I started the car, I realised that this was no K10B that I had used for the past few years. Engine wise, the compression ration is increased and the use of a thinner oil means that the response from the engine is way ahead of how my wagonR used to behave. A few quick observations on the engine:
  • Drive by wire instead of the cable in K10. This has made them tweak throttle response to open up wider at low rpms. This has partially caused the increased driveability.
  • Low end is better and the engine is alive from 1.1K rpm below which the transmission doesnt allow it to go. My WagonR was dead below 2k RPM and this was really annoying.
  • Difference in performance with AC is hardly felt compared to my WagonR which on switching off AC felt like a turbo kicked in
  • Engine note in the K-Next is not coarse like in the K10 and noise is hardly heard in the cabin. Good sound insulation
  • The K-Next gets hydraulic mounts in the Celerio compared to Rubber mounts in the WagonR. This has removed vibrations at idle which used come all the way to the rear in the WagonR.
My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-400.jpg

A few observations on the transmission:
  • One shouldnt expect butter smooth or lag free gearshifts from this setup. Its never meant to offer that.
  • Creep control is good and not to jerky. Removed my apprehensions of parking in a tight spot. No problem.
  • Upshifts are really early if we drive with a light foot, and so are downshifts once we push the pedal down.
  • After a few kms of driving, no enthusiast would go for the drive mode. Personally, I use the manual mode at all times since I feel that the D results in excessive gear changes and a lot of lag. Sometimes, we would prefer holding a gear in anticipation of a hump or a turning but the TCM would have pushed it a gear or two ahead. Sometimes, I would prefer accelerating in gear slowly but in D that would make the transmission downshift immediately on pressing the pedal a little bit
  • Had I brought the AMT without an M mode? NO. Enough said. M gives me the decision to shift gears when I want, and reduce unwanted gear changes, thus not wearing out the transmission and clutch faster. In that way, M is excellent in terms of downshifts since it comes down to lower gears as soon as the engine speed reaches around 1K RPM. Hence, its a good thing to just upshift manually and leave the downshifts to the car.
  • The only problem in this setup is in M, if in 2nd gear, the TCM slips the clutch in case the car gets too slow. It wont downshift to 1 unless at standstill. This has to be done manually. In D mode however, downshift to 1 happens as soon as the speed drops below 10kmph or under a hard press of the accelerator
  • In D mode, even 4th and 5th is a problem on highways, with the TCM taking accelerator inputs too seriously and downshifting to 4th every now and then. Hence, its best to use D mode in heavy or moderate traffic and use M in open roads or fast paced traffic, or in residential areas where you dont need to go to third and fourth gear.
Suspension, Braking and handling:
  • Brakes have good bite, and though a little pedal travel is required to get the bite, its confidence inspiring. Havent tested ABS till now but once the brakes set well, I will take it to some open places and check whats the threshold of ABS kicking in. Waited two months for this one:
My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-215.jpg
  • Car is well planted on uneven surfaces and doesnt roll compared to my WagonR which used to dance around on every pothole and speedbreaker.
  • Suspension seems to be stiffer but those 70 profile tyres do a real good job of eating all the uneven surfaces so overall ride quality is superb
  • At high speeds, there is good composure an grip is also good. Cruises without drama and effort.
  • Steering is neither light nor hard and is well weighed. Maybe because I am running slightly lesser tyre pressure but definitely not as light as the Swift or my Wagonr.

Apart from this, I dont know anything else to put up, and I realise that this thread has no orderliness in it either. However, stick to this thread for updates and upgrades since this car will cover miles very quickly.

Currently in progress are
1. Leather steering wheel
2. Paint protection film

3. Detailing and sealant.

Planned activities:
1. Dual horn
2. Fog lamps
3. Door damping

Will update it as and when it happens. Thanks for reading. Do post your queries and comments if you have any. Would love to answer if you are looking out for this car.

Last edited by audioholic : 21st August 2016 at 12:25.
audioholic is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 17:31   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 19:11   #8
BHPian

Hearty congratulations, audioholic. Great buy.
Your comparisons with the WagonR were spot on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
[*]Low end is better and the engine is alive from 1.1K rpm below which the transmission doesnt allow it to go. My WagonR was dead below 2k RPM and this was really annoying.[*]Difference in performance with AC is hardly felt compared to my WagonR which on switching off AC felt like a turbo kicked in
These points have got me thinking to upgrade from a WagonR to Celerio
Wishing you safe and happy miles. Cheers!
satrikon_454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 19:21   #9
BHPian

Congrats for the Celerio. I have seen a very few Celerio specimen in this color in Mumbai atleast. Didnt you consider the AT alternatives like Brio, i10 before finalizing the Celerio?
Coompletely agree with you regarding the WagonR. I had drove the CNG variant which is even worse and requires a generous shove.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 20:01   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats audioholic. Great review. Thanks for sharing. Wish you many miles of Happy Ownership. Glad to hear that you stood firm on your choice of the (O) variant.

Were you on ORR around the kadubeesanahalli area around 4.30 yesterday? ( Or maybe it was on Friday). The color and sticker positioning caught my attention and I now think it may have been you.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 23rd August 2016 at 20:02.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 20:23   #11
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase! Audioholic! Those Alloys look fab!

I own Celerio VXI AMT and I have few problems. Hope you can help me out.
2014 model, done about 12000 kms.

1. Car judders sporadically in 1st and 2nd car. Is my clutch worn out?
2. I find the ride quality of the car to be below average...my air pressure is 28. I am tempted by the news that Kwid is launching AMT and supposedly Kwid has a great ride quality like its elder brothers Duster, Fluence, Logan.
anandkumargb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 20:27   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Congrats audioholic. Great review. Thanks for sharing. Wish you many miles of Happy Ownership. Glad to hear that you stood firm on your choice of the (O) variant.

Were you on ORR around the kadubeesanahalli area around 4.30 yesterday? ( Or maybe it was on Friday). The color and sticker positioning caught my attention and I now think it may have been you.
Thanks a lot. Since you know the ORR, I did feel that my WagonR's brakes were not up to the mark and everytime I took the SX4 to work, the drive used to be more relaxed and the car would hold ground well. I know that the Celerio is nowhere close to the SX4, but definitely ages ahead of the WagonR when it comes to braking and grip.

No prize for guessing that It would have been me, but I havent been regular to work. I had taken the car on last Monday to Wednesday, and Thursday swapped cars with my dad. Friday I was nowhere on the ORR. Again it was today that I was in the ORR at around 445 near Kadubeesanahalli. But given that my colour is too rare, and one with a sticker, it would definitely have been me for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Didnt you consider the AT alternatives like Brio, i10 before finalizing the Celerio?
Coompletely agree with you regarding the WagonR. I had drove the CNG variant which is even worse and requires a generous shove.
Thanks. As I have stated in the posts above, the i10 and Brio with torque converter ATs would have made a huge dent on my pocket. My colleagues grand i10 gives single digit figures in similar conditions and hence took that out of question. The Brio would have been a superb option, but the torque converter and ground clearance issues along with the interiors made me look away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrikon_454 View Post
These points have got me thinking to upgrade from a WagonR to Celerio
Wishing you safe and happy miles. Cheers!
Thanks. If you are looking for a lateral upgrade or just want an automatic without spending too much money, this is the car for you. If not, then I would definitely look for a segment or two above and settle for a DSG maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post

2. I find the ride quality of the car to be below average...my air pressure is 28. I am tempted by the news that Kwid is launching AMT and supposedly Kwid has a great ride quality like its elder brothers Duster, Fluence, Logan.
Thank you!

In first and second gear, especially in manual mode, the TCM slips the clutch if engine speed falls below 1500RPM. In case you are accelerating from a speed breaker, ensure that the car is in first or if in second, dont gun the accelerator pedal. This will eat the clutch. However, in your case I think the judder is because of excessive shifts. The clutch hasnt worn out, but it would have developed unevenness. Either report this to MS and get a new clutch under warranty, or try to be sedate in second gear when speeds are very low. Too much clutch slipping will lead to this kind of unevenness and cause judder. My wagonR clutch developed this issue at 20k kms and SX4 developed at 35k kms. I was advised against changing clutch since as per the SA its a common issue for cars driven in the city.

In other news, the steering got the required makeover:

This happened on Sunday itself, but I was not able to put up details and pictures since I am quite busy with life and work together. I got the steering wheel wrapped with perforated genuine leather at Ceralli near my house. Here is the outcome:

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-1.jpg

I have earlier got the other cars done here and took the Celerio too. Fit and finish was never an issue with these guys. However, my confidence fell when they tried to remove the airbag and it wouldnt come out. Apparently the guy missed a simple trick and couldnt release the airbag module out of the steering. Appreciated his attitude, since he didnt do anything to force it out. This meant that the work had to be done with the steering as it is. Without getting the airbag out, even the audio controls and surround couldnt be removed. For the WagonR and SX4(with airbag) they could completely dismantle the steering and hence fit and finish was of no doubt.

To be frank, I was amazed that they could get the same results without removing the steering as well. Here are some close ups to show how nicely the edges are done:

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-2.jpg

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-3.jpg

My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-4.jpg

This was my first experience with perforated leather since my other cars have regular leather. I initially wanted to go for a mix of both, but there was a small shade difference between the blacks, hence I did not want that to look odd. Went for fully perforated. The gaps between the steering surrounds and the PU part were too close, and it took some precise cuts on the leather and just the right amount of stretching to push it in the gap.

Was present and watched the entire process. Apart from the guy leaving the engine on continuously, I had no other negatives for them. Anyways since it was a sunny day and they couldnt take the steering into their AC work area, I let him sit with AC and engine running.

Also, realised that the steering controls and calling controls are illuminated too, was not aware of this before:
My Maruti Celerio ZXi(O) AMT - A rare variant-5.jpg

Stay tuned!

Last edited by audioholic : 23rd August 2016 at 20:32.
audioholic is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 21:47   #13
BHPian

Oh Ceralli...Even I got my leather steering wrap from them. They do a fine job. But mine was plain leather and they charged me Rs 2000. How much did the perforated leather cost you?
Ceralli...Are you from Banashankari?

Thanks for your advice on the juddering! I mostly drive in the M mode. I usually go to 1st gear when crossing a speed breaker. Even then juddering is there. I think I need to show it to Maruti. Its 2 yr old now and hence out of warranty. Will they do it out of goodwill
anandkumargb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 21:53   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh Ceralli...Even I got my leather steering wrap from them. They do a fine job. But mine was plain leather and they charged me Rs 2000. How much did the perforated leather cost you?
Ceralli...Are you from Banashankari?

Thanks for your advice on the juddering! I mostly drive in the M mode. I usually go to 1st gear when crossing a speed breaker. Even then juddering is there. I think I need to show it to Maruti. Its 2 yr old now and hence out of warranty. Will they do it out of goodwill
Yes I do stay in BSK. I paid 2200 for it. The regular leather was a couple of hundreds lesser.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 22:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats Audioholic. Celerio is definitely a good buy in this segment. I have the same colour and have completed around 30000kms.

Regarding the judder, Please take it to the Maruti service center and get it rectified.
My Celerio also had jerking issues in 3rd and 4th gear. it was sorted out by the changing flywheel.

Air pressure should be 36 in front and 33 at the rear. Celerio has a decent ride quality.

Last edited by rock18 : 23rd August 2016 at 22:28.
rock18 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks