Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 01:25   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Hi all. Wanted to share how the wiring was concealed for my dashcam as fellow owners too intend to install them. First off, would like to tell that it was a very crudely done job and took just 20 minutes to find places where the wire could be concealed.
I intend to ask the service folks to do a better job of it when i give it to service.
You are powering your dashcam through the middle row 12v power outlet. Why don't you tap a connection straight from the spare point in the fuse box and hardwire it? Your installation will be much cleaner, a lot less cabling will be used and that power outlet will remain available for use. Most importantly, there will never be any complications regarding battery drain.

There is a dedicated thread regarding hardwiring a dash cam straight from the fuse box.
Old 20th April 2017, 07:49   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
You are powering your dashcam through the middle row 12v power outlet. Why don't you tap a connection straight from the spare point in the fuse box and hardwire it? Your installation will be much cleaner, a lot less cabling will be used and that power outlet will remain available for use. Most importantly, there will never be any complications regarding battery drain.

There is a dedicated thread regarding hardwiring a dash cam straight from the fuse box.
And would i be getting constant power from it with ignition off? Because I don't get it at the sockets.
Also, the SA had told me that it might effect the warranty. Will wait for first service and ask him again.
Thanks a lot for the input!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 20th April 2017 at 07:50.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:46   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And would i be getting constant power from it with ignition off? Because I don't get it at the sockets.
Also, the SA had told me that it might effect the warranty. Will wait for first service and ask him again.
Thanks a lot for the input!
The whole point is that power will 100% get cut off the moment you switch off the ignition. There are many instances of these 12v outlets staying on even when the car if off, permanently or for a preset time. Don't know how it is for the Hexa. But having a dashcam plugged into one of these can lead to battery drain. It's just to be safe. Also there is absolutely no reason for a hardwire install to lead to warranty issues. You are not splicing any wires. You are not overloading any electricals. Just installing it exactly the way it should be installed.
Old 20th April 2017, 11:07   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The whole point is that power will 100% get cut off the moment you switch off the ignition. There are many instances of these 12v outlets staying on even when the car if off, permanently or for a preset time. Don't know how it is for the Hexa. But having a dashcam plugged into one of these can lead to battery drain. It's just to be safe. Also there is absolutely no reason for a hardwire install to lead to warranty issues. You are not splicing any wires. You are not overloading any electricals. Just installing it exactly the way it should be installed.
Actually i did think about it in the beginning. But my main requirement was to have the camera running even with ignition off.
With my current setup, i can easily switch sources, from the car socket to my powerbank. So there's no way that the battery would drain!
Old 28th April 2017, 19:51   #65
BHPian

Wish you many a mile on your Hexa!

The car always impressed me from the day I saw the review and read about it. To me it is a proper 6/7 seater with impressive boot space as well unlike the XUV that has nil boot space with the third row up. In my opinion that is a very important criterion when a vehicle is projected as a 7 seater SUV and as far as I know, only the Innova (and the Honda BRV to some extent) provided that. And it is a typical MUV and not an SUV. Even the Crysta has not quite bridged the gap.

Tell us more and more about it as you drive more and more especially with respect to the reliability of the engine, overall durability of the vehicle and the service from Tata .
Old 28th April 2017, 21:26   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

The car always impressed me from the day I saw the review and read about it. To me it is a proper 6/7 seater with impressive boot space as well unlike the XUV that has nil boot space with the third row up. In my opinion that is a very important criterion when a vehicle is projected as a 7 seater SUV and as far as I know, only the Innova (and the Honda BRV to some extent) provided that. And it is a typical MUV and not an SUV. Even the Crysta has not quite bridged the gap.
+1

It is a big deal, having a usable boot to go with the ability to seat 6/7. Mind you, these are healthy, well fed 6/7 adults. The XUV can't do that. It's third row is strictly for kids only. So it's either 5+luggage, or 5+kids. Can't do both. Neither can it accommodate 6 or 7 adults comfortably at a time. That in itself is a basic compromise you have to make with the Mahindra. Only the Hexa and the Innova can pull this off. And while the Innova drives like an appliance, Hexa has some real character about itself. Get her on the highway, and you'll feel like the king of the road.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 28th April 2017 at 21:29.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 22:35   #67
BHPian

Sure will update you folks post tomorrow's trip. Going to MM hills via Mysore with 7 adults. Meaning three in middle row and 2 in the last.
Though i had done a trip with 8 adults with three of them in the last row for about 200kms, tomorrow's trip will help me understand both the comfort and capability of the car on the ghats.
Old 30th April 2017, 20:05   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

Tell us more and more about it as you drive more and more especially with respect to the reliability of the engine, overall durability of the vehicle and the service from Tata .
Post yesterday's trip, I've got more confidence! MM hills has got few hairpin bends and the temperatures were soaring in the noon. It was ice cold in the cabin and we stopped for a while as one of the passengers had motion sickness.
Then suddenly comes the sound of the radiator fan kicking in when i was near the bonnet which I had tried a lot to observe. The heat, both from under the car and tarmac forced us to run back inside the cold igloo!
The car handled the turns very well. With less traffic on the ghats, it was very easy to make the hairpin bends in 3rd gear! Once you get used to the turbo lag, it is pretty easy making the engine go the way you wish. Unlike my dad who finds the lag annoying during overtakes.

Speaking of third row seats, my parents were seated there for almost the entire part of the trip (excluding the 50kms stretch which my dad drove).
My mom said she'd rather be in the third row than the middle as she finds it more comfortable. Hard to believe! Even my dad was happy sitting behind. The boot too was pretty useful.

To summarize, the car impressed us in many aspects and the cabin comfort made sure we had a fun time inside! So much fun, that an impromptu trip towards Kolar was decided for tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-dsc_0009.jpg  

Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-dsc_0005.jpg  

Last edited by abhi7013 : 30th April 2017 at 20:30.
abhi7013 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 01:00   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of third row seats, my parents were seated there for almost the entire part of the trip (excluding the 50kms stretch which my dad drove).
My mom said she'd rather be in the third row than the middle as she finds it more comfortable. Hard to believe! Even my dad was happy sitting behind. The boot too was pretty useful.
My folks are also very happy sitting in the third row. Maybe its something to do with height, shorter people preferring smaller seats. My mum also loves that she can stretch her legs whenever she wants in the space between the middle row captain seats. Kudos to Tata for ensuring proper comfortable seating and providing all amenities(AC vents, side arm rests, charging point, reading lights) back there. The fact that you get a very good view in front of you helps.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 11:18   #70
BHPian

Got my car back yesterday from the first service. Surprisingly gear shifts are much much smoother than before.
One issue however: upon going on bumps at faster speeds, there's a sound of the doors re-locking. The service manager says its the bonnet. The rubber bushes are actually higher than the lock switch. So in bumps, there's a little play where the bonnet switch is released and pressed back by the bonnet, making the car think the bonnet was open. That makes it relock the doors again. He said he'll send a technician in a day or two who knows how to solve it. This issue was reported apparently by many owners.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 23:36   #71
BHPian

Had a long drive to BR hills this weekend. 7 adults, all feeling at home with mild music, occasional rains and power naps.
Am loving the car!
However, mom still not satisfied with it. She liked the looks of the XUV but never sat inside it. Planning to take her for a TD and make her realise what Hexa is worth!
Attached Thumbnails
Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-1494871517547.jpg  

abhi7013 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 21:41   #72
BHPian

Was not satisfied with the interior cleaning when i had given my car for the first service. Took it today with a few more complaints like sound from boot door on bad roads and flickering interior lights. Had the following done:-

1. Replaced middle row lamp as it was flickering.
2. New rubber bushes for the bonnet and boot door.
3. Thorough interior cleaning along with blow-drying the AC vents.
4. Exterior wash.
5. Foam cleaning of the roof fabric which took almost half an hour.
6. Concealing the dash cam wire by directing it inside the panels and floor boards.

And the cost: zero. Do keep in mind that i already had given my car for first service, also at zero cost.

No labour and no consumables billed.

Would obviously like to say that am totally satisfied by the work done!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 11:32   #73
BHPian

There have been few meetings of fellow Hexa owners in Pune and Bangalore where discussions were made regarding the niggles which few owners faced.
Turns out, there were only a few cases like improperly aligned seat belts, issues in installation of side steps and the likes.
Few owners even met with other senior TATA resources and explained the engine gargle. They were informed that it's very much normal and they were working on a way to make it less noticeable.

Overall, owners are really happy and satisfied of having made the right choice and are soaking in the attention that they are getting from the public when on road, sitting comfortably in the cool cabin (literally cool!) of the beast!

Another important point to add is that we all find one thing common with TATA: Their after sales service rocks! Irrespective of the issue, the response time and quality is worth mentioning.
To those of you sceptical of buying the Hexa because of doubts on service, fear not. Service centres of other international brands will be put to shame.

Attaching a few pictures from the meet in Pune-
Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-f12efca66ab082222bbe08c480bb5ac30efddf24970211e3fapimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-61c5b18829f32bfa44c7ad101f2dc68e879e85a120187ad633pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Bangalore:-
Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-b.jpg
Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-b2.jpg
abhi7013 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 20:48   #74
BHPian

Like to congratulate all the proud owners of Hexa. Currently I am thinking to change my Fluence E2 to SUV.

Options in my mind is any automatic Hexa, Crysta , XUV & Isuzu MUX

Hexa has omitted the ESP+Hill Descent, Traction Control and Hydraulic Brake Assist on AT.

In XUV I didn't liked the ride quality and the quality of plastics used in interiors.

Crysta averages out in all the aspects, more inclining towards Crysta.

But like to watch the sales figures and service cost of Isuzu MUX. I feel MUX is value for money at this point in time. Cost is the only plus factor as of now. Will wait for another couple of months and take a call.
Old 19th June 2017, 23:29   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_kk View Post
Like to congratulate all the proud owners of Hexa. Currently I am thinking to change my Fluence E2 to SUV.

Options in my mind is any automatic Hexa, Crysta , XUV & Isuzu MUX

Hexa has omitted the ESP+Hill Descent, Traction Control and Hydraulic Brake Assist on AT.

In XUV I didn't liked the ride quality and the quality of plastics used in interiors.

Crysta averages out in all the aspects, more inclining towards Crysta.

But like to watch the sales figures and service cost of Isuzu MUX. I feel MUX is value for money at this point in time. Cost is the only plus factor as of now. Will wait for another couple of months and take a call.
Would suggest you to look at after sales of all these cars too. Isuzu might be a concern in that department and Crysta, though a great car, has newer pages added every other day to its niggles thread.

As you said, wait for a few more months and try understanding how good the Isuzu is being handled. You may have a better understanding then!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks