Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2017, 18:14   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
I am also hoping Hexa 4x4 automatic variant also comes out by then. If it does, it definetely would be my next SUV.
Fingers crossed.
That variant AFAIK should be launched by year end.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 20:08   #92
BHPian

Re: Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
That variant AFAIK should be launched by year end.
That would be great. Any specific inputs on this?
Old 24th July 2017, 23:19   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
That would be great. Any specific inputs on this?
Nope, nothing specific. Just speculations.
Old 24th August 2017, 21:01   #94
BHPian

Quick update: the rear right wheel had gone flat when my dad had taken it to office. Called the TATA emergency number and the personnel reached the spot in an hour and helped change wheels.
Also, since it was due for second service, asked Prerana Motors to pick up the car and also to look into repairing the puncture.
Later today, received a call from them regarding the puncture: a nail had pierced through which was not a problem. But there were cracks around the hole. So even if it was repaired, the cracks would pose a problem in future, (air leaks mostly).
So they said MRF had agreed to replace the tyre and I had to pay a depreciation amount of 1600.

I got the car delivered just now and as usual, zero labour and consumable charges though I don't have an AMC.
Overall, satisfied with TASS.

Would also like to share a link of the TPMS ordered via Ali Express. Costed 2800 approx (42$). Prices have increased to 56$ now.
http://s.aliexpress.com/uu63mQzu
Old 25th August 2017, 09:04   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Had been on a trip to Chikkamangaluru and Kudremukha last weekend ...

Also, the headlights of the car is pathetic. Low beam does its job. However, a major part of the high beam is focused towards the left. I know that it is by design, so as to not effect oncoming traffic. But looks like TATA has kept the opposing traffic's safety in mind than ours! ...
Been following your reviews. They're really very nice!

Just one request though: Kindly *avoid* high beam, unless its foggy or rainy weather that results in poor visibility to you/others even when driving at *reasonable* speeds.

High beam, the way it is used in India (atleast in Karnataka), is a menace on our roads! It blinds oncoming traffic. If an oncoming vehicle has its high beam on, it blinds you, your visibility of pedestrians crossing in *front* of you is hampered, and also visibility of traffic *behind* you in your ORVM is reduced (even worse, when traffic behind you don't have their headlights on!) thereby endangering lane-changes, etc.

In non-rainy/non-foggy weather, if you feel that visibility is poor, then pls *slow* down, rather than drive fast by relying on high beam's intended increased throw.

Safe and happy driving!
Old 25th August 2017, 11:14   #96
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post

Just one request though: Kindly *avoid* high beam, unless its foggy or rainy weather that results in poor visibility to you/others even when driving at *reasonable* speeds.

In non-rainy/non-foggy weather, if you feel that visibility is poor, then pls *slow* down, rather than drive fast by relying on high beam's intended increased throw.

Safe and happy driving!
Adding to vharihar's point, never use high beams in the foggy weather. Fog particles reflect the light back onto you which makes for poorer visibility. That is the reason fog lights are placed lower and focussed towards the ground so that the light does not reflect back or scatter and can penetrate for longer distances since fog is less dense closer to the road.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 11:28   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Been following your reviews. They're really very nice!

Safe and happy driving!
Hi, glad to know you like the reviews!
With regards to the headlights, I am a person who doesn't mind getting down in traffic and reminding the driver behind me to switch to low beams. I rarely use high beams. However, the scenario i was talking about was on a 4-lane/6-lane highway with bushes on the divider which was very useful in blocking off opposing beams. Also it was a night journey with very few vehicles. And i used to switch to low whenever i saw cars ahead of me. With no street lamps, it was very difficult to do even 80-90kmph using high beams. If this is so, what is their purpose then?
Also, i found it impossible to drive in the ghats without high beams, so i had them switched on always in ghats.

However, i really appreciate your advice and also hope people are more sensitive to the effects their high beams may have on other drivers. Very often do people shift to low beams even after repeated flashes. Thanks for the suggestions though, will make a mental note!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
Adding to vharihar's point, never use high beams in the foggy weather. Fog particles reflect the light back onto you which makes for poorer visibility. That is the reason fog lights are placed lower and focussed towards the ground so that the light does not reflect back or scatter and can penetrate for longer distances since fog is less dense closer to the road.
And also, there is a reason fog lamps are yellow! So that they can penetrate the fog effectively as you said.
But it's a shame, looking at people using white lights just for the sake of looks. White lights/HIDs with temperatures above 4300K too are pathetic when it comes to visibility on wet roads.
And yes, even i recommend friends to not use high beams in fog or even in heavy rains.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th August 2017 at 12:13. Reason: merging back to back posts
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 11:56   #98
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, glad to know you like the reviews!
With regards to the headlights, I am a person who doesn't mind getting down in traffic and reminding the driver behind me to switch to low beams. I rarely use high beams. However, the scenario i was talking about was on a 4-lane/6-lane highway with bushes on the divider which was very useful in blocking off opposing beams. Also it was a night journey with very few vehicles. And i used to switch to low whenever i saw cars ahead of me. With no street lamps, it was very difficult to do even 80-90kmph using high beams. If this is so, what is their purpose then?
Also, i found it impossible to drive in the ghats without high beams, so i had them switched on always in ghats.
In such situations, I sometimes (if only absolutely necessary), focus the high beam to the lowermost position using the headlamp leveller. It helps to brighten up the road and also reduces the chances of causing glare to fellow road users but of course turning to low beam if I see anyone ahead of me or coming from the opposite direction.
Old 25th August 2017, 13:41   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
In such situations, I sometimes (if only absolutely necessary), focus the high beam to the lowermost position using the headlamp leveller. It helps to brighten up the road and also reduces the chances of causing glare to fellow road users but of course turning to low beam if I see anyone ahead of me or coming from the opposite direction.
That's what you cannot do in the Hexa. You can obviously lower the beams, but the cutoff of the throw is such that, the moment you lower, nothing is visible dead ahead. Only towards the left. And the SA says there's no lateral movement possible in the beams. Little confused on this as there are alignment screws behind the dome.
Old 29th August 2017, 23:58   #100
BHPian

Hey Abhi, great review of the XT Hexa, even I am planning to go for the manual version. One point I remember reading is that, the steering does cause wobbling at higher speeds (around 120 kmph). Is this something common on Manual Hexa's or just in your instance. If so, has it been rectified by TATA service?
Old 30th August 2017, 10:40   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
Hey Abhi, great review of the XT Hexa, even I am planning to go for the manual version. One point I remember reading is that, the steering does cause wobbling at higher speeds (around 120 kmph). Is this something common on Manual Hexa's or just in your instance. If so, has it been rectified by TATA service?
Hey there! Yes, the wobbling was felt at speeds above 120kmph on the Nice road, Bangalore. It could be due to the uneven concrete roads.
On regular highways, the wobble tunes down to a persistent vibration which is nothing much, but it is there nonetheless. However, on super-smooth highways like the Hassan road, you don't feel much.
Its the road texture that filters in to the steering wheel which we cannot do much about.

However, in the first case of my explanation, on regular highways, the steering does wobble/vibrate. But i guess its common in a few brands as i had similar experiences on the ecosport and XUV. But on the same stretch, cars like the i20 and verna which i drove seemed to be more stable.

I have not yet brought it to TASS's attention as i am planning to install the TPMS and get the wheels balanced and aligned outside. Hoping things will improve after this. But personally, it doesn't bother me much.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 30th August 2017 at 10:45.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 18:45   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Hey there! Yes, the wobbling was felt at speeds above 120kmph on the Nice road, Bangalore. It could be due to the uneven concrete roads.
On regular highways, the wobble tunes down to a persistent vibration which is nothing much, but it is there nonetheless.
However, in the first case of my explanation, on regular highways, the steering does wobble/vibrate.
Thank you Abhi for the details. Just wondering, is it a similar case for Automatic Hexa's. Maybe, some automatic owners can shed light.
Old 30th August 2017, 20:42   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Abhi for the details. Just wondering, is it a similar case for Automatic Hexa's. Maybe, some automatic owners can shed light.
Your queries would be better answered in the official review thread as it attracts more traffic! Now that you have posted there, let's wait..
Old 7th September 2017, 22:31   #104
BHPian

Finally got the TPMS delivered and the build quality looks really good. Yet to test how it works and shall install it before this weekend trip to Kerala. Few pics of the TPMS for now:-
Attached Thumbnails
Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-1504803633077.jpg  

Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-1504803644860.jpg  

Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-1504803659040.jpg  

Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-1504803671730.jpg  

Old 8th September 2017, 00:48   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One point I remember reading is that, the steering does cause wobbling at higher speeds (around 120 kmph). Is this something common on Manual Hexa's or just in your instance. If so, has it been rectified by TATA service?
Quote:
I drive an XTA. Absolutely no wobbling to report of. The car runs true and straight irrespective of speed or load or surface (asphalt/concrete) and is affected only by road camber and strong crosswinds.

If you are facing wobbling problem, get road force balancing done for all 4 wheels. Also, keep your tire pressure in check. Tata's latest update on the TMSC app recommends ridiculously high pressures, which seriously compromise ride comfort and make the vehicle very sensitive to even the smallest of road imperfections. I keep it at 28psi in all 4 tires for normal solo use, and 30psi for when the vehicle is loaded. Works very well.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 8th September 2017 at 00:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks