Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2021, 22:55   #151
BHPian

re: Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold

This premature battery failure has not affected me till date. I purchased the Compass in September 2017.

What is the symptom of this premature failure ? Is it sudden ? Because you have the battery charge indicator in the MID . If this is showing that the battery is sufficiently charged, what happens for the battery to fail ?
Old 4th January 2021, 08:11   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
This premature battery failure has not affected me till date. I purchased the Compass in September 2017.

What is the symptom of this premature failure ? Is it sudden ? Because you have the battery charge indicator in the MID . If this is showing that the battery is sufficiently charged, what happens for the battery to fail ?
The battery failure is quite sudden in most cases and can leave you stranded if it is on the verge of failure.
When it fails, many warning lights come on together like : Airbag failure, Abs failure , etc. It is just battery failure and once the battery is changed, it is fine.
Why the battery fails is: there are multiple (6) lead acid cells in the battery which generate the voltage of 12 V+ when in series. If any one of these cells fails, the voltage drops permanently below 10V and the battery becomes useless and cannot start the car. To avoid being stranded, it is better to replace the battery preemptively as it is already three years old.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 15:38   #153
Senior - BHPian

Hi Behemoth. Thanks for the great review. I wanted to check: do the 2017-18 Compass' come with Apple Car play / Android Auto in the 7 inch touchscreen system?

Please do keep us updated about the service costs. Overall, the Compass seems like a reliable car with average service costs ~ 10-15k per year.
Old 4th January 2021, 17:26   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hi Behemoth. Thanks for the great review. I wanted to check: do the 2017-18 Compass' come with Apple Car play / Android Auto in the 7 inch touchscreen system?

Please do keep us updated about the service costs. Overall, the Compass seems like a reliable car with average service costs ~ 10-15k per year.
Yes it does have both Android auto and Apple carplay and it works fine -Though it uses wired connection only.
The service costs so far have been reasonable so far and typically are in the range of 13-15k rupees per service barring the optional extras that they try to push each time (which I politely refuse).
Old 6th January 2021, 00:12   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi,
Congrats on your Compass. To answer your queries:
1) The elegant mats are holding up fine so far and till date there are no tears in the mats, just normal wear and tear. I would recommend them. Other option is the Jeep Original offroad mats - they are also quite good and available at Jeep Dealerships.

2) currently they allow extended warranty to be taken only during the warranty period but you can try pushing them to convince them otherwise

3) I am still on my original Firestone tyres and they are quite hard and noisy. There are some good options available in the stock size, but availability is quite limited due to import restrictions. Falken Wildpeak is ideal for the compass followed by Yokohama Earth 1. Try for either of these options in stock size.
Michelins are not available in stock size and the size available generally is 235/60 R17 and they are really expensive (around 18k when I checked last). The Falkens and the Yokos in stock size are generally available in the range of 10-11k.

4) the door rattling noise can be solved by the duct tape method I mentioned. Also to apply the Silicone spray I shared earlier to the door beadings.

On the auto radio on, IIRC there is a setting somewhere in the menus where you can turn it off. In my case if the radio is off when you switch the car off, it does not switch on automatically when I restart it next

Also if your original battery has not been changed yet, please get it changed asap to Din.74 Amaron or Din 74 Exide as the OE battery is prone to premature failure and lot pf failures have been reported (including mine) within 2 years.

Hope this helps and wish you many years of Happy Motoring
Thanks a ton for the detailed revert.

1. Shall update on the mats decision soon

2. Would try as you mentioned. Have to visit the dealership for HSRP in any case in a few days.

3. Noted.

4. Just got the duct tape. Shall apply over the weekend. Need to order the silicone spray too now.

5. This issue is still persisting. Don't know which setting I need to find. If you get time, do let me know how to switch off this irritating auto radio on.

6. Point noted. Would check with Amaron for a replacement.

Thanks again! Do let me know about the radio bit too
Old 9th January 2021, 01:58   #156
BHPian

Quote:

On the auto radio on, IIRC there is a setting somewhere in the menus where you can turn it off. In my case if the radio is off when you switch the car off, it does not switch on automatically when I restart it next
Still struggling with this
1. How do you switch off the radio? Am not able to figure this out.

2. I am mostly listening to podcasts while driving. So when I switch off the engine, the last thing I was listening to was not radio. Yet when I start the car, it is the radio that starts first.

Do help me out!
Old 9th January 2021, 07:44   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a View Post
Still struggling with this

1. How do you switch off the radio? Am not able to figure this out.

2. I am mostly listening to podcasts while driving. So when I switch off the engine, the last thing I was listening to was not radio. Yet when I start the car, it is the radio that starts first.

Do help me out!

Try Settings> Audio> autoplay> off

Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold-imageuploadedbyteambhp1610158477.066542.jpg
Old 9th January 2021, 11:45   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Try Settings> Audio> autoplay> off

Attachment 2104971
Thanks Arjun. But this setting is already OFF for me. Is it a software issue? As I see that your UI looks a bit different from mine.

The Radio Off with Door setting is also on OFF position.

Suggestions please!
Attached Thumbnails
Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold-20210109_114036.jpg  

Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold-20210109_114320.jpg  

Old 23rd July 2021, 14:02   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
Continuing this post in the above Ownership Thread.
Continued from the Skoda Kushaq post.

I am looking for a fun-to-drive, Petrol, Automatic C-SUV with a budget of 15L - 20L - 22L. Preferably compact in dimensions so that I can use it for city as well.

In my case, I don't want to go with a Diesel because
  • Initial extra cost of approx 3 lac over the equivalent Petrol version.
  • My monthly run is approx 500kms. Except for a long trip once in 2-3 months.
  • Maintenance cost of Diesel is significantly more than that of Petrol.
Hence, the extra EMI + Maintenance cost does not get balanced with the Fuel cost.

So, my current shortlist is
  • Jeep Compass
  • Skoda Kushaq 1.5 TSI DSG
  • VW Taigun 1.5 TSI DSG

The Problem with Jeep Compass is:
  • The variant that matches majority ( not all ) of my Feature Wish List is Compass 80 Anniversary or Limited ( O ) which has an on road price of 27.7L in Gurgaon. If a L&K variant of Skoda Kushaq or GT variant of VW Taigun is launched, it would still range around 22L-23L in Gurgaon which is atlest 5L cheaper than Jeep Compass and still would give me more features + DSG.
  • The infamous Petrol Automatic of Jeep Compass. Almost everyone is a critic of this. I'm not sure if its because its compared with the 2.0 diesel counterpart or in general in the segment. But, I am sure, it will be less fun-to-drive as compared to VAG's 1.5 TSI + DSG.
  • Even if I consider a Jeep Compass Diesel AT, the cheapest one is Compass Limited (O) at 31L. This is completely out of my budget.
Old 24th July 2021, 12:55   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • Jeep Compass
  • Skoda Kushaq 1.5 TSI DSG
  • VW Taigun 1.5 TSI DSG

[*]Even if I consider a Jeep Compass Diesel AT, the cheapest one is Compass Limited (O) at 31L. This is completely out of my budget. [/list]
Hi Raijin,

The petrol automatic on the Jeep Compass is a bit sluggish and not exciting to drive and it gives a mileage of 7-8 in city driving and 10-11 on highway drives. So be prepared mentally for this when considering the car! Also do test drive the diesel manual if you get a chance. The diesel manual is a great engine and also gives great mileage (14-15) in mixed use.

The diesel auto on the Jeep is though very highly priced. If you are really keen on a Petrol Auto, you should also consider the Hector Petrol CVT - it is also a good option in that budget range. We are also considering the Hector Plus (Diesel Manual) to replace our Skoda Laura and it feels in the same segment as the Laura/ Jeep and is built well. It is not crash rated yet, but I believe they have tested it recently and are going to share the results Soon. Apart from the stigma of a Chinese car, it actually offers great space and value for money.

Last edited by Behemoth : 24th July 2021 at 12:57.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 10:03   #161
BHPian

That is the problem with Jeep Compass -
  • Diesel Automatic is too expensive.
  • Petrol Automatic is not fun-to-drive.
  • Automatic is a must for me. Can trouble my knees in Gurgaon Traffic.

Hector / Hector Plus are too big for my liking, also I don't trust Chinese MG brand. If we decide to go for a bigger looking SUV, Tata Harrier it is.
rAijin_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:13   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Raijin,

The petrol automatic on the Jeep Compass is a bit sluggish and not exciting to drive and it gives a mileage of 7-8 in city driving and 10-11 on highway drives.

The diesel auto on the Jeep is though very highly priced.
Hi Behemoth,

I had this exact same concern and would be great if you can clear the air for me here with some specific questions.

My requirements in brief
  1. Primary usage - Highway for road trips and some city shopping needs; probably a 80:20 highway:city split. No office commute since both my wife and I get office cabs which works out WAY cheaper.
  2. Automatic transmission - necessary since for those occasional city commutes, I like the convenience more (pains me to say this even as an enthusiast)
  3. Must have cruise control - in case of Jeep, Automatic is the only way you get it so this becomes irrelevant
  4. Fun to drive, great cornering stability and stable at high speeds

The problem is that the Diesel+Auto combination is only available with Limited (O) - this nets around 33L OTR in Bangalore. Which is quite expensive considering the fact that a Longitude variant ticks most of the boxes in terms of feature list (except maybe 6 airbags).

Would like to know the below:

1. What is the real world fuel economy like for a Diesel+Auto Compass (with a 80:20 or 70:30 split) compared to a Petro+Auto?

2. Long-term maintenance cost of Diesel vs Petrol?

3. The Diesel+Auto, also automatically packs in 4x4 as well. This is great as an off-road enthusiast (I have a KTM 390Adv that I love to bits). However, does it also mean different driving style, more parts to go wrong etc.?

Taking a slight tangent here, a wild card entry has been the Skoda Octavia Sportline. It also falls around 32-33L OTR and meets ALL of my requirements. However, yet again the comparison here boils down to two questions:

1. How's the fuel economy for such a car?

2. How's the ASS of Skoda compared to Jeep?

I can see that you have a Skoda car as well, so thought you would be the best person to shed some light on this.
Old 25th July 2021, 12:46   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Hi Behemoth,

I had this exact same concern and would be great if you can clear the air for me here with some specific questions.

My requirements in brief
[list=1][*]Primary usage - Highway for road trips and some city shopping needs; probably a 80:20 highway:city split. No office commute since both my wife and I get office cabs which works out WAY cheaper.
[*]Automatic transmission - necessary since for those occasional city commutes, I like the convenience more (pains me to say this even as an enthusiast)

1. What is the real world fuel economy like for a Diesel+Auto Compass (with a 80:20 or 70:30 split) compared to a Petro+Auto?

2. Long-term maintenance cost of Diesel vs Petrol?

3. The Diesel+Auto, also automatically packs in 4x4 as well. This is great as an off-road enthusiast (I have a KTM 390Adv that I love to bits). However, does it also mean different driving style, more parts to go wrong etc.?

Taking a slight tangent here, a wild card entry has been the Skoda Octavia Sportline. It also falls around 32-33L OTR and meets ALL of my requirements. However, yet again the comparison here boils down to two questions:

1. How's the fuel economy for such a car?

2. How's the ASS of Skoda compared to Jeep?

I can see that you have a Skoda car as well, so thought you would be the best person to shed some light on this.
For your use case, investing close to 30L on a diesel Auto Combo from Jeep may not make sense and your usage is quite low and mostly will be family outings. You do need a good petrol Auto Combination and since mileage is not a concern for you the Taigun 1.5 TSI Dsg may fit your bill well. It should be launched in second week of Aug. In petrol engined automatic options that would be the most fun to drive car south of 20Lacs ex showroom. The Kushaq is also a good car with the same engine, but the way that they skimped on safety features and interior quality, I would not recommend that and hopefully VW will not make the same mistakes Skoda has done.

The Jeep Compass is ideal for people who need a Diesel engine car and their driving will be at least 1500km a month. The price difference of the Diesel auto is just too high and they should come up with a lower cost 4x2 diesel auto variant.
The most value for money Diesel auto SUV in the market right now is the Harrier XMA.
If you are open to other Petrol Auto cars from other brands the Nissan Kicks Petrol Turbo DCT is also nice to drive and is better than the Kushaq in ride quality - you should check that out too.

The real world economy of a Jeep Diesel auto 4*4 is around 12-14 in mixed use. The petrol auto is around 8-10 (highly dependent on how it is driven)

In terms of maintenance the service frequency is 1 yr/ 15000km for both and the petrol service is around 20% cheaper.

Regarding Skoda/ Jeep service my experience with Jeep has been better than with Skoda. In my Skoda cars I had to escalate to get issues resolved and parts availability was a challenge even in warranty period.

You could also consider the Octavia Style variant which is around 3 lac cheaper. The 2L TSI At engine will give you a mileage of around 8-10 in mixed use.

Last edited by Behemoth : 25th July 2021 at 12:53.
Old 25th July 2021, 14:02   #164
BHPian

Quote:
[*]The infamous Petrol Automatic of Jeep Compass. Almost everyone is a critic of this. I'm not sure if its because its compared with the 2.0 diesel counterpart or in general in the segment. But, I am sure, it will be less fun-to-drive as compared to VAG's 1.5 TSI + DSG.[/list]
Hi Aijin, couple of mythbusters. I have put 20,000 kms on my Compass petrol automatic across myriad range of terrains- hills, deserts, mud, snow. It has never let me down. All this while, i have got a total fuel efficiency of 11.8 kmpl- there are a few people in the Jeep groups who get better figures. In city, it easily gives 10 kmpl+, while in highways, 13-14 kmpl. It is a turbo petrol so it needs to be driven carefully- like all other turbo petrols. You would get similar numbers in the Kushar/Creta/Seltos too. Do check the threads on these cars and you will get an idea. I have also posted screenshots of my fuel efficiency figures in previous posts- do check that.

The Compass for me has 2 bugbears- space on offer, and effectiveness of rear AC. But these two issues are across the range- both petrol and diesel.

Now that i have been taking test drives of some 7 seaters, i feel this even more- the Compass petrol automatic is a brilliant machine, not quite as good as the diesel, but still great. It is faster than the diesel, the ride, handling, and braking are very very good, interior quality has gone up sigificantly in the 2021 facelift, but i wish it had a bit more torque. The gearbox is not the best in the business but gets the job done. The VAG DSG may be better but the difference is not as much as it is made out to be.

In highways the DCT is excellent- i see that you plan to use it on highways for 80% of the time. Go for it. Follow turbo petrol driving tips and you will do just fine
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 14:45   #165
BHPian

Quote:
For your use case, investing close to 30L on a diesel Auto Combo from Jeep may not make sense and your usage is quite low and mostly will be family outings.

The Jeep Compass is ideal for people who need a Diesel engine car and their driving will be at least 1500km a month. The price difference of the Diesel auto is just too high and they should come up with a lower cost 4x2 diesel auto variant.
Apologies, I should've clarified earlier.

Even though there is no city commute, the average monthly usage will be north of 1000km at least and most likely ~1500-2000km. This is because I plan to use the vehicle for long distance road trips with my wife which I won't be able to do on a bike. My hometown is 750km one way which I intend to visit at least once in 2 months.

Therefore, it'd be a huge plus point if the vehicle provides great highway fuel economy.

Quote:
If you are open to other Petrol Auto cars from other brands the Nissan Kicks Petrol Turbo DCT is also nice to drive and is better than the Kushaq in ride quality - you should check that out too.
I'm not sure if there is a DCT version for Kicks. I could only find CVT and hence had dropped this from my consideration set. I will however check this.

Quote:
Regarding Skoda/ Jeep service my experience with Jeep has been better than with Skoda. In my Skoda cars I had to escalate to get issues resolved and parts availability was a challenge even in warranty period.

You could also consider the Octavia Style variant which is around 3 lac cheaper. The 2L TSI At engine will give you a mileage of around 8-10 in mixed use.
Thanks! This helps. Yes, in Octavia the Style variant is what under consideration - I named it Sportline by mistake in the earlier post. The OTR for Style and Compass Limited is similar as per Carwale website.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks