Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2017, 15:27   #91
BHPian

re: Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes that is correct. Once the cess came in play, it became applicable on the EMI too and the GST rate went up from 43% to 50% irrespective of the GST paid on vehicle purchase having been paid at 43% only. My EMI payout also increased by 6k due to this.
Tch! It is a real pity!!
This ownership thread could have been for a Ltd O 4x4 had government not played spoilsport
Old 12th February 2018, 12:43   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold

Quick update on our Jeep Compass
Completed around 5K kms and also got the first service done. This is only a quick checkup and only wheel alignment and balancing were done. The rattles from the dashboard and the rear passenger door which I asked them to fix were fixed.
Also on my own I have upgraded the headlight bulbs (9005) to Philips HIR B1 from Amazon.com (US) - they costed around 53USD landed to me in India. It is fairly easy to do and takes around 30 min to do. To get access to the bulbs you have to open the wheel liners as shown.
The bulbs need to be clipped on the top tab slightly with a nail clipper to fit.
These bulbs are made in Germany and with the same power consumption of 65W generate 2350 Lumens against the stock 1600 lumens. The light is also slightly whiter at 3000K CCT instead of the stock 2700K.
Attached Thumbnails
Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold-20180211_113914.jpg  

Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold-20180211_143735.jpg  

Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold-20180211_113813.jpg  

Last edited by Behemoth : 12th February 2018 at 12:45.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 21:56   #93
BHPian

Hi!
Question on mats... what mats did you buy for your Compass and where. I am having a hard time finding anything decent.
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:09   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
Hi!
Question on mats... what mats did you buy for your Compass and where. I am having a hard time finding anything decent.
You can get Jeep original rubber mats for around 7400 from the dealers as an original accessory. They are pretty good quality.
I had bought my 3D mats from Amazon India and they are from a company called Elegant for around 6k. They were available in 2 colours black or beige.
The amazon link is here:
Elegant 3D Sportivo Black Car Foot Mats For Jeep Compass (Set of 5 Pcs) Product Link

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th March 2018 at 12:51. Reason: Correcting link
Old 28th March 2018, 09:10   #95
BHPian

Hi Behemoth, Has your compass gone through any of the free services yet? (Sorry, if I missed this in your previous posts.)

I was interested in knowing the quality of Gurgaon service center?
Old 28th March 2018, 09:26   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Hi Behemoth, Has your compass gone through any of the free services yet? (Sorry, if I missed this in your previous posts.)

I was interested in knowing the quality of Gurgaon service center?
Yes I have gotten my first free service done there at the Gurgaon service centre. It is relatively empty with only 7-8 cars coming every day. The service advisor who is good there is Kuldeep. Have your car attended to by him.
Old 16th April 2018, 23:06   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Completed around 5K kms and also got the first service done. This is only a quick checkup and only wheel alignment and balancing were done. The rattles from the dashboard and the rear passenger door which I asked them to fix were fixed.
Also on my own I have upgraded the headlight bulbs (9005) to Philips HIR B1 from Amazon.com (US) - they costed around 53USD landed to me in India. It is fairly easy to do and takes around 30 min to do. To get access to the bulbs you have to open the wheel liners as shown.
The bulbs need to be clipped on the top tab slightly with a nail clipper to fit.
These bulbs are made in Germany and with the same power consumption of 65W generate 2350 Lumens against the stock 1600 lumens. The light is also slightly whiter at 3000K CCT instead of the stock 2700K.

Hi! Can you share feedback on these bulbs? I am trying to find out what's best as an upgrade for the Limited version's projectors.
Old 17th April 2018, 08:01   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
Hi! Can you share feedback on these bulbs? I am trying to find out what's best as an upgrade for the Limited version's projectors.
The 9011 HIR bulbs are the best option with the same wattage as OEM and have a 50% increase in output over the standard ones. The upgrade is definitely worth it. I have also tried multiple led bulbs too and the beam focus with led bulbs is really bad and the 6000k light output is also not good. I feel that if one does not want to violate warranty , this is the best option.
If you are willing to risk warranty then Xenons from Osram , Philips or Morimoto would be the way to go. However it would also require permanent cutting of the dust covers on the headlights. So far I have heard of only one person who had upgraded his Compass to Osram HID and he was happy with the results.

Last edited by Behemoth : 17th April 2018 at 08:04.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 10:42   #99
BHPian

Hi Behemoth,

Noticed that you bought Insurance from outside and not the dealer. I've booked one this week and expecting delivery in the coming week. Insurance price is definitely less when opting for non-dealer option. Can you share your thinking around it and why did you select Bajaj Alliaz especially with Drive assure.

Thanks!!
Old 20th April 2018, 10:57   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
Hi Behemoth,

Noticed that you bought Insurance from outside and not the dealer. I've booked one this week and expecting delivery in the coming week. Insurance price is definitely less when opting for non-dealer option. Can you share your thinking around it and why did you select Bajaj Alliaz especially with Drive assure.

Thanks!!
In my case the car is company leased and the preferred insurance provider is Bajaj Allianz for our company. All my other cars in the past too have been with Bajaj Allianz and I find the claim process quite simple and effective with them, so I had no issues taking the insurance from them even with my Compass. Still, I would recommend that you compare among all the available insurers and figure out what works best with you at your location.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 12:20   #101
BHPian

Quote:

How is the Headlight performance as compared to OEM halogen. I am thinking of upgrade at present halogen is looking good for city drives.

Let me know your view, if it is must upgrade.
Old 18th May 2018, 12:33   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpb View Post
How is the Headlight performance as compared to OEM halogen. I am thinking of upgrade at present halogen is looking good for city drives.

Let me know your view, if it is must upgrade.
I would rate my upgraded headlights as 50% better than the OE headlight bulbs and this is the best possible with halogens without exceeding the stock wattage.
The improvement is most noticeable in highway driving. In city driving there is so much spill light from everywhere that you will not notice much difference.

If you are ready to take the plunge for HID, go for 35W 4200K HID lamps and the output will be at least 150% better.
Osram and Morimoto are two options you can get for HID.

Last edited by Behemoth : 18th May 2018 at 12:35.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 19:27   #103
BHPian

Thanks for this regularly updated thread that is rife with subtle details - indeed, it was a tall order to provide more than just an ownership review after the kind of official review this car received, but I really liked the stuff you shared. The seat measurements for example, off the top of my head.

I know it is a little late to congratulate you, but the lack of a Trailhawk + Sunroof took the car out of my consideration at the time of launch. And knowing FCA's world-wide reputation coupled with a few initial reports of more than niggles here, I had not bothered with since.

Still having not found a vehicle (the Endeavour being far too expensive), I was pleasantly surprised to hear of the launch of the Trailhawk, and that rekindled my interest.

As trustworthy, illuminating and exhaustive as T-BHP reviews are, what really makes one comfortable with the idea of owning a car is the sum total of posts that follow. I have made a habit of going over the entire thread of any car I'm considering, and it was no different when I started looking at the Compass. And your presence and pro-activity there were uplifting.

But once I got to this thread (as I go through all ownership reviews subsequently) and gleaned a more detailed automotive background of you, I found inexpressible comfort in your enjoyment of the Compass. For me, it is EXTREMELY reassuring to see someone with your requirements and taste liking a car and sharing your experience.

Now I have a reason to hope again as I wait for the Trailhawk, rather than just pine away for an Endeavour.

Cheers!
Mu009 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 22:10   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Thanks for this regularly updated thread that is rife with subtle details - indeed, it was a tall order to provide more than just an ownership review after the kind of official review this car received, but I really liked the stuff you shared. The seat measurements for example, off the top of my head.

Cheers!
You are welcome ! That's the good part of Team bhp that all of us love our cars and vent our hearts out - both positive and negative too but at the same time try to be balanced. So far I have loved the Compass and the only bugbears are the limited boot space (which is a little less for a long outstation trip to Leh! Probably will need a roof carrier to fix that, like I had done on my Yeti) and the rare electronic software bug in the system which caused the AC to cool less, but was fixed with a software update.
Normally I am quite into my cars ( having played quite a bit with my Skodas too with the VCDS) but in the Jeep I may not get to that level yet!
The Trailhawk should be formidable car esp with the higher GC, approach angle improvement, the AT box and an even better 4x4 system. If you do get it soon, look forward to your ownership review too!
Old 28th May 2018, 10:16   #105
BHPian

VCDS! Oh ho!
That sir, is even better news. I have truly found the right person for my queries then!

And of course, till you start messing with your Compass (I personally wouldn't be so brave with an FCA product because of warranty woes - but then, I wouldn't have tried that with a Skoda in India either), I am sure you will still have a lot of information for me - my apologies, but if you would be so kind - get ready to be bugged with queries.

Almost serendipitously the Endeavour thread has been updated with 2 posts that stand out - the news of a possible price hike (making the wait for the Trailhawk more relevant), and the second that a previous Yeti owner has bought one.

Now I know that I'm only asking for information that will become redundant after back-to-back test rides when (if) they are possible, but as I wait in uncertainty, I would be very glad of your opinion on the following observations post initial impressions made by said gentleman on the corresponding thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by parambyte View Post
So I bit the magazine and picked up a Smoke Grey 3.2 Titanium AT.
And with a super hectic work schedule (where I can't take my car), I finally got to drive out 950km in two days.

Observations (Compared to my dear old (now sold) Skoda Yeti 4X4) :
- From zero when I released the clutch on the Yeti in first gear, it would have an enormous pull forward. The Endeavour has to be pushed forward. After a bit, it starts picking speed rapidly.
- Engine seems very noisy in the first 3-4 gears.
- It's fantastic at cruising speeds. In 5-10kmph traffic (or curvy uphill), it's very noisy, (almost embarrassingly so).
1. How would you compare the Compass's movement off the line to your Yeti's? And what about post take-off?
2. While I expect the engine noise scenario on the Endeavour will improve for him somewhat with time (having read other owner's claims), assuming that he is calibrated to the Yeti, it would be a nice comparison by proxy if you were to tell me your impressions of cabin noise. I know it has been shared before (I have read it and remember it - cold start, 10 minutes, water-like sound at idle et. al.), but I am not needlessly asking you for it again - I am looking for this answer from a different perspective.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my previous post, one other detail that I really appreciated in this thread was the fact that your dashboard rattle was attended to and solved - that is one huge area of concern to me. A rattling car would be a real let down at any price point above 15 big ones (though of course, the Ecosport in my experience is one that provides that sort of experience at a lower price point).
A small thing as it apparently may be, that was one of the things I had marked as a potential deal-breaker when going through the Compass's thread. I hope that rattle hasn't been bothering you anymore?

I hope you will regard "Thanks in advance" as goes without saying in all my posts.
*laments universal lack of tip-of-the-hat emoji*
Mu009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks