Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2021, 15:50   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Apologies, I should've clarified earlier.

Even though there is no city commute, the average monthly usage will be north of 1000km at least and most likely ~1500-2000km. This is because I plan to use the vehicle for long distance road trips with my wife which I won't be able to do on a bike. My hometown is 750km one way which I intend to visit at least once in 2 months.

I'm not sure if there is a DCT version for Kicks. I could only find CVT and hence had dropped this from my consideration set. I will however check this.

In that case the Diesel may make sense for you!
Consider this, if your average running is 1500 km per month your fuel cost with diesel is around Rs 12000 per month. With Petrol, your fuel cost may be around 20k per month, so you will be paying 8k per month extra or a Lac over a year. If you plan to keep the car for 8 years, the saving is 8 lacs ( layman terms, not considering NPV). If your service costs are maybe 10k per year higher than Petrol, still you save 90k per year!
Turbo petrols are exciting to drive as much as Turbo diesels now, but they are quite thirsty for petrol their mileage numbers can fluctuate a lot depending on how you drive. With turbo diesels they are much more forgiving and if you drive between 1800-2500rpm they are quite efficient if you are in the right gear. In my Compass manual if I drive at 80kmph in 5th gear constantly on a highway I get numbers of 20+ kmpl.

On the Kicks I was mistaken, It is CVT only with 1.3 L turbo engine. Maybe I got confused with the Hector which has both options of DCT and CVT.
However keep in mind that many DCT gearboxes in India have faced heating issues in Traffic in India.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 11:06   #167
BHPian

re: Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
That is the problem with Jeep Compass -
  • Diesel Automatic is too expensive.
  • Petrol Automatic is not fun-to-drive.
  • Automatic is a must for me. Can trouble my knees in Gurgaon Traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Hi Aijin, couple of mythbusters. I have put 20,000 kms on my Compass petrol automatic across myriad range of terrains- hills, deserts, mud, snow. It has never let me down. All this while, i have got a total fuel efficiency of 11.8 kmpl- there are a few people in the Jeep groups who get better figures. In city, it easily gives 10 kmpl+, while in highways, 13-14 kmpl. It is a turbo petrol so it needs to be driven carefully- like all other turbo petrols. You would get similar numbers in the Kushar/Creta/Seltos too. Do check the threads on these cars and you will get an idea. I have also posted screenshots of my fuel efficiency figures in previous posts- do check that.
I agree entirely with this... my fuel economy numbers are almost exactly the same as mentioned above. Most of my driving is commute between Gurgaon and Delhi. Of course, for the past 18 months it's been only very limited nearby local trips of no more than 5-6km each time, and thus the economy figures currently are much lower, around 8-9.

As for the whole 'not fun to drive' thing, I can only say that a test drive would settle this for you, based on what your expectations are...
Old 26th July 2021, 12:45   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Hi rAijin, couple of mythbusters. I have put 20,000 kms on my Compass petrol automatic across myriad range of terrains- hills, deserts, mud, snow. It has never let me down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
I agree entirely with this...
As for the whole 'not fun to drive' thing, I can only say that a test drive would settle this for you, based on what your expectations are...
Thank you guys. This is really helpful.
I could not find a good review of Petrol AT. And if I could, they all mentioned that Petrol is not good ( as compared to Diesel ) and AT gearbox in general is confused ( for both Petrol and Diesel ). So, Petrol AT is below average.
Although coming from a Honda City 118bhp + CVT at 1000 kgs ( approx. Kerb Weight ), I believe Jeep Compass 161bhp + DCT at 1500 ( approx Kerb Weight ) would still be a lot better. However, I was just not sure about it. I will of course take Test Drive of Jeep Compass.

Quote:
All this while, i have got a total fuel efficiency of 11.8 kmpl- there are a few people in the Jeep groups who get better figures. In city, it easily gives 10 kmpl+, while in highways, 13-14 kmpl. It is a turbo petrol so it needs to be driven carefully- like all other turbo petrols. You would get similar numbers in the Kushar/Creta/Seltos too. Do check the threads on these cars and you will get an idea. I have also posted screenshots of my fuel efficiency figures in previous posts- do check that.
Fuel Efficiency is not a problem, since almost all petrol cars 15+ lac would give similar fuel efficiency.

Quote:
The Compass for me has 2 bugbears- space on offer, and effectiveness of rear AC. But these two issues are across the range- both petrol and diesel.
Space is not a problem since I'm looking for a 4 seater. Occassional 5th seater may have to suffer. But I think it won't be drastically different from Honda City.
Rear AC : Even my Honda City sometimes is not able to cool the cabin effectively in May-June peak time. However, I hope Jeep Compass' AC effectiveness is not even below that mark.

The only problem now is Budget . Jeep Compass Limited (O) is approx. 27L On Road Gurgaon. I sometimes get greedy with Model S (O) at 30L.
An upcoming VW Taigun GT or Skoda Kushaq Monte Carlo would still be available in 22L-23L range and give me slightly more features than Limited (O) with a difference of 5-7 Lacs which is approx 15-25k EMI per month.
However, I believe a good upgrade from Honda City is Jeep Compass AT.
Old 26th July 2021, 14:19   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
Thank you guys. This is really helpful.
I could not find a good review of Petrol AT. And if I could, they all mentioned that Petrol is not good ( as compared to Diesel ) and AT gearbox in general is confused ( for both Petrol and Diesel ). So, Petrol AT is below average.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ct-review.html (American beauty from Italian parents | My Grey Arrow | Jeep Compass 1.4 Multiair DCT Review)

Hope you have gone through this thread on the Compass petrol automatic by Ritesh. You can PM him for more feedback!

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 26th July 2021 at 14:41.
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 14:47   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You do need a good petrol Auto Combination and since mileage is not a concern for you the Taigun 1.5 TSI Dsg may fit your bill well. It should be launched in second week of Aug. In petrol engined automatic options that would be the most fun to drive car south of 20Lacs ex showroom. The Kushaq is also a good car with the same engine, but the way that they skimped on safety features and interior quality, I would not recommend that and hopefully VW will not make the same mistakes Skoda has done.

The price difference of the Diesel auto is just too high and they should come up with a lower cost 4x2 diesel auto variant.
The most value for money Diesel auto SUV in the market right now is the Harrier XMA.
I am also in the same situation where I need a good fun to drive Petrol AT SUV. I hope Taigun will be better packaged than Kushaq in terms of interiors and 6 airbags.
I love the Compass in all ways, but unfortunately they don't have a Diesel 4x2 AT.
I'll wait this year end to decide between Compass Longi (O) MT, Taigun and upcoming XUV 700.
Old 29th July 2021, 18:58   #171
RDG

Hello Behemoth,

A great ownership thread. Personally for me it has provided lots of insights and have helped in zeroing in Compass in Minimal Grey color. I booked with Landmark last week and today I got the call that the car is available and I can do PDI tomorrow. I was not expecting such a fast availability and this is raising doubts in my mind. I am going to do a PDI tomorrow to check if all is ok.
Could you suggest a good detailer in Gurgaon for PPF film installation? Looking forward to be part of NCR group of JEEP owners. Thanks in advanve..
Old 29th July 2021, 19:53   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG View Post
Hello Behemoth,

A great ownership thread. Personally for me it has provided lots of insights and have helped in zeroing in Compass in Minimal Grey color. I booked with Landmark last week and today I got the call that the car is available and I can do PDI tomorrow. I was not expecting such a fast availability and this is raising doubts in my mind. I am going to do a PDI tomorrow to check if all is ok.
Could you suggest a good detailer in Gurgaon for PPF film installation? Looking forward to be part of NCR group of JEEP owners. Thanks in advanve..
Congrats on your choice and the new Compass is a great choice. The Minimal Grey is a nice colour and looks best with a black roof.
For the PPF, I haven't gotten any done on my car as I don't feel that it is useful and also most cheap ones will tend to yellow after a few years and actually look bad. The 3m one which is good quality is very expensive ! If you are really keen for ppf, get 3m or else avoid the ppf.
Old 2nd November 2021, 10:32   #173

Hello Behemoth,
Thank you for comprehensive ownership thread. I have finally taken delivery of my Jeep Compass Longitude 4x2 Diesel in minimal grey on the 26th of Oct. It is going to be a new experience for me as my previous two cars have been from the Maruti stable, an 800 and a SX4, both petrol. Already plagued by doubts about fuel quality, which diesel to go for etc. Will keep revisiting the thread to clear my doubts. Haven’t taken it for a long drive yet. Yet to get my registration plates. Hopefully soon. Thanks again.
Old 4th September 2022, 08:40   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick 5 years update on our Silver Surfer!
The car is still running well and continues to serve dutifully. In 5 years though is has just covered a shade over 50k kms with almost 17k kms in the past year in my office commute to and fro to Noida from Gurgaon. In the past 2 years before that it could not cover much distance in the Covid years!

Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold-img_20220828_102322.jpg

No major maintenance has been required, apart from a Battery change (done with Exide Din70 from outside at around 2.5 years) and tyre change to Yokohama E400 a few months back. Regular service to the car typically cost 13-14k, while the 5 years service was more expensive due to Timing Kit change and cost around 30k as I also got AC service done.

Car is now out of extended warranty and I am considering whether to continue with Jeep service centres or go with my trusted Bosch service centre, where I used to get my Laura and Yeti serviced.
Still quite happy with the car and since my office commute is around 100kms every day (taking a min of 3.5 hours) I am happy that I am getting an overall mileage of 16.5 kmpl in mixed use. (On highways I can get as high as 21-22kmpl)
Overall quite happy with the car and I intend to keep it for another 3-4 years and continue to enjoy the driving dynamics of the car.

Last edited by Behemoth : 4th September 2022 at 08:42.
Behemoth is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 15:12   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I am happy that I am getting an overall mileage of 16.5 kmpl in mixed use. (On highways I can get as high as 21-22kmpl)
Overall quite happy with the car and I intend to keep it for another 3-4 years and continue to enjoy the driving dynamics of the car.
Thanks for the update.

My 2021 Jeep LTd Diesel Manual is giving me 10-15 kmpl. On Highways too i barely get 16. Did it improve over time?
Old 7th September 2022, 15:19   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Thanks for the update.

My 2021 Jeep LTd Diesel Manual is giving me 10-15 kmpl. On Highways too i barely get 16. Did it improve over time?
No it doesn't change much over time and is dependent a lot on driving style. Some tips you can follow to get better mileage:
1) keep tyres inflated to 33psi
2) don't change gears till 2200 rpm. Change only when you hit 2200 rpm. The best efficiency of the diesel engine of the Compass is in the range of 1800-2200 rpm band. Anything lower or higher, the engine is less efficient. Ignore the gear up shift notifications as they ask you to shift up too early!
3) keep the instantaneous mileage display on, this will help you adapt your driving style a bit to extract better mileage.
4) you have to drive with a light foot on the accelerator and try to resist the urge to go pedal to the metal
5) driving at speeds of 70-90 in 4th gear will give you best mileage. Shift to 5th only above 90 and to 6th only above 110.

With these tips, you should be able to extract much better FE from your car. With these techniques I used to get 22kmpl on my Laura (in mixed use) and now get 16.6 on my Jeep Compass (in 50:50 mixed use).
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 16:23   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

An update to my ownership thread after a long time. The car has so far covered around 66k kms in the 5 years and 10 months of ownership. The car had been performing consistently well but just 3 days back the clutch gave way and I was stuck with clutch failure.
I had been getting some symptoms earlier since the past 4 months - clutch pedal was not coming up fully when depressed and also the clutch efforts required to press was increasing.

On 20th the clutch failed completely as I was leaving for office. Luckily I was only 1 km away from home and it was daytime.
Logged a call to the Bajaj Allianz RSA for a flatbed tow truck and that came in around 1.5 hours. Jeep was towed to the Gurgaon service centre which was around 10 kms away. I handed over the car around 11 am to them on the 20th. After clutch overhaul, received the car back on the 21st at 6pm.

The entire set of clutch plate, pressure plate, Dual Mass Flywheel, clutch bearing, clutch release lever, master cylinder and slave cylinder were replaced. Total cost came to Rs 78,895.
The cost is quite high and out of this the most expensive is the DMF which is 37k.
After the replacement the clutch effort is literally half of what it was earlier and it is butter smooth now.

Last edited by Behemoth : 22nd June 2023 at 16:24.
Behemoth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 15:17   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

After covering 73k kms and 6 years 4 months with my Jeep Compass, I have sold the Jeep to a fellow TBHPian from Jaipur.
Even though the car was in great condition and very well maintained, the BS4 restrictions in Delhi Ncr were causing a lot of problems and the government would ban the running of BS4 diesels for several periods (even now they have enforced Grap 3). This leads to a huge inconvenience.
Also as my daily driving is close to 100 km (Gurgaon-Noida-Gurgaon) everyday I needed an Automatic car as the drive takes 3.5 hours (both sides).

So I finally decided to sell my Jeep and make a lateral change to a new Kia Seltos Xline in Diesel automatic.
A test drive of the car finally closed the decision as it is a very quiet, torquey and efficient engine.

Will request mods to close this thread.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks