Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2019, 10:28   #46
BHPian

Re: Crossing the thin redline into madness. Meet Red, my old new BMW 328i

One would imagine that it'd be hard to write a review to match the finesse of this car - but you, Sir, have smashed it out of the park.

This review goes straight into my bookmarks for future soul-stirring.
pavanmadhini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 14:06   #47
BHPian

One post where I read a lot and had to look at the snaps because it's in R.E.D !!

Some things can never be done by AI and if it can be done, I'd like writing to be exempted, for you know, writing comes from the heart. This is such a nice write-up interlaced with wit.

Oh, congratulations on the ride. Keep revving and drive safe.
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 15:39   #48
BHPian

Superb review and must say you have a flair for writing. And what can I say about the wicked ride, its a gem. I guess you are a die-hard 'Bhai' fan, however, I hope you don't drive like him
grevvity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 16:17   #49
BHPian

Dude! Dude! Dude!

I am a lurker on the forum who reads voraciously and can say eats the reviews for breakfast. I have always loved your writing style and had followed your thread on the Jetta ownership but never commented. I however can’t be quiet now. You have echoed and mirrored, the feelings of many car enthusiasts who have always aspired to have that famed white propeller against the blue sky. I feel I am too grim and write with that serious face and hence I keep my posts limited. I probably need to loosen up and learn from you on how to bring that hilarity which makes others want to listen to you or read what you are writing.

All the best. Hope to see your steed in one of the tbhp drives.

Best,

Raj Bajwa
RajBajwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 17:34   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
[center]

We all know of the seven year itch when it comes to relationships. With cars, personally, it's more like 5. It's a good age to move a car on, but with middle age comes its own conundrums. .
I loved this article and your writing style, creative and free. 5 Years seems to be the "itching point" for me normally but my Jetta has stayed with me for 7+.

Quote:
How can one hold on to the last vestiges of one's youth before the joints get creaky and the doctors get freaky? How does one show he is more virile than virago? Why, through his ride, of course, for they are extensions of us. And if that is the case, nothing less than the maddest, baddest car will do
Exactly going through this phase in life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
WOW!! Now that's a review written by a human being with emotions, with a heart, with a personal touch and not by a robot tasked to write a user manual of a car!
You bet!

However, a lot of the mainstream cars no longer touch emotions and are turning into mere appliances

Last edited by ajmat : 13th April 2019 at 22:09.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 19:01   #51
BHPian

As so many people have already commented, your style of writing is very captivating. This thread had me glued on from the first post.

Congrats on your new ride. Hope you have many more clicks on the odo and please do post regular updates on your ownership experience with the redhead.
Sunil2307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 21:03   #52
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Karan, on the New Old Red! Wishing you tens of thousands of miles and smiles. The car looks HOT in Red.

The way you pen down your ownership threads with that flair and humor, you need to have that itch more often. 5 years is too long for us to wait to read your next ownership thread!
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 21:25   #53
Senior - BHPian

They say food can be eaten two ways. You can gulp it down like you would a burger or you could slowly savour the taste and let the various flavours soak through your taste buds as you would when fine dining. They are both considered eating.

And so it is with reading - you can do a speed read or you can savour the text roll it over in your mind and revel in the meaning.

Took the mobile up for a speed read of this thread as I was due in for a meeting. But it didn't turn out to be a speed read - it turned out to be a slow read taking in every word so as to savour the various bits and pieces including the cunning punning ones.

Was broken out of my reverie by a call on the other line reminding me of the meeting. Talk of rude awakenings. Brought me back to reality.

Thank you for taking the effort to do your review differently.

They say sometimes a car is better than the review and sometimes the review is better than the car. Ok, no one said that, they said something else but in your case I hope your car is better than the review for then it would be fantastic.

And before I forget - congratulations. Hope you did check the service history from BMW and that it confirmed the 18000 kms bit. This translates to around 60 kms a week - folks who fix modded exhausts would usually do more.

Fuel costs, car prices, maintenance costs, new legislation are all pushing us towards the end of the true blue enthusiast life cycle. And so it helps to do a stint with a car like this - you can always say you've been there, done that. Though for an enthusiast we are never done doing that.

Quoting GTO - beg, borrow or steal good cars while they last. Now that's a tip - the next time you're low on budget and can't wait you know what to do. I usually steal.

Last edited by AMG Power : 12th April 2019 at 21:35.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 21:42   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome review! Its a lovely car. Wishing you many happy miles. The pictures look amazing too.The suspension upgrade makes a world of difference along with the shift to tubeless. I got B6 with Michelin Ps4 and that changed the handling considerably. Waiting for the M Performance exhaust installation in my car soon.
A friend did install a tuning box in his 328i and with power bumped up to around 290hp/415Nm there isn’t much you want from the car, waiting for my BSI to get over soon, so that I can do the same for mine.��

Last edited by robimahanta : 12th April 2019 at 21:50.
robimahanta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 22:59   #55
BHPian

This tab has been open on my phone for the past two days, and I've read it over and over again quite a few times. Your writing is something else, bhai. The car looks lovely in that shade, and the photography is brilliant too.

I had one favourite ownership thread previously: Samar117's Zen thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...i-zen-vxi.html), and this one joins the list! Wish you many many happy miles with Red, and please treat us to such literary brilliance more often
boniver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 14:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

What a superb review! And that red colour looks absolutely awesome on that car. If I were to have a BMW it would be in this very colour. I think this car is one of the best decisions that you have made. Enjoy your new ride, and do keep updating the thread. Hope your pet also likes the new car, even though he may not be able to perch on the arm rest!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 15:33   #57
BHPian

Congratulations man, A superb review of a superb car. Please do keep updating this thread.
The 3 is definitely going to be a top contender for me if and when I plan to upgrade from my Civic
Kashish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 18:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
One would imagine that it'd be hard to write a review to match the finesse of this car - but you, Sir, have smashed it out of the park. This review goes straight into my bookmarks for future soul-stirring.
Thank you, Pavan, for your effusive praise. I hope this thread long continues to be chicken soup for the petrolhead's soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
Some things can never be done by AI and if it can be done, I'd like writing to be exempted, for you know, writing comes from the heart. This is such a nice write-up interlaced with wit.

Oh, congratulations on the ride. Keep revving and drive safe.
I agree with that sentiment, some things are just intrinsically human, and it's difficult for technology to replicate it. Think of Aibo and Asimo, Sony's robots. They're fantastic, but you just know it feels weird to connect with them at an emotive level. That said, I'm sure AI will change the way we work immutably, even if it doesn't pen prose!

Thanks for stopping by, and I'll live up to your words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
Superb review and must say you have a flair for writing. And what can I say about the wicked ride, its a gem. I guess you are a die-hard 'Bhai' fan, however, I hope you don't drive like him
Please go wash out your mouth with the strongest toothpaste you know of. I and Bhai are as far apart as you can imagine. Thanks for the kind words, bhai-giri aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajBajwa View Post
I am a lurker on the forum who reads voraciously and can say eats the reviews for breakfast.
The breakfast of champions, if ever there was one.

Quote:
I have always loved your writing style and had followed your thread on the Jetta ownership but never commented.
Why though? You've hurt my feelings now, please excuse me while I go grab some spare tissues.

Quote:
You have echoed and mirrored, the feelings of many car enthusiasts who have always aspired to have that famed white propeller against the blue sky. I feel I am too grim and write with that serious face and hence I keep my posts limited. I probably need to loosen up and learn from you on how to bring that hilarity which makes others want to listen to you or read what you are writing.
Truth be told, I can barely be anyone's Mr. Miyagi. Just let your voice be heard, and it'll resonate, Like it would at an echo point.

Quote:
Hope to see your steed in one of the tbhp drives.
Count on it buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I loved this article and your writing style, creative and free. 5 Years seems to be the "itching point" for me normally but my Jetta has stayed with me for 7+. Am going through.
You're absolutely on the right track. Why swap it out just because? It's a fantastic car that's going to be heard to replace unless you buy something a few levels up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
However, a lot of the mainstream cars no longer touch emotions and are turning into mere appliances
Couldn't agree with this more. Can't blame car makers too much, they only make what people want. Most are happy with cars that move them from point A to B, only so many people want cars that move the soul. The sales numbers attest to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil2307 View Post
As so many people have already commented, your style of writing is very captivating. This thread had me glued on from the first post. Hope you have many more clicks on the odo and please do post regular updates on your ownership experience with the redhead.
Thank you, Sunil. I'll keep this thread updated, you stay tuned to a screen near you. Sounds like a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations Karan, on the New Old Red! Wishing you tens of thousands of miles and smiles. The car looks HOT in Red.
Thank you, buddy! The car indeed looks FAB in this color. It absolutely slays, as all the cool kids say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The way you pen down your ownership threads with that flair and humor, you need to have that itch more often. 5 years is too long for us to wait to read your next ownership thread!
Thinking laterally, why not wish that I buy another car to accompany this one? Bolo bolo, tell tell. Start praying to all the 9 zillion Indian gods that that happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
They say food can be eaten two ways. You can gulp it down like you would a burger or you could slowly savour the taste and let the various flavours soak through your taste buds as you would when fine dining. They are both considered eating.
Correctamundo. While I adore fast cars, I can't stand fast food for this very reason. After all, what is this world, if full of care; we have no time to stand and stare.

Quote:
And so it is with reading - you can do a speed read or you can savour the text roll it over in your mind and revel in the meaning.
I freely admit to speed reading, it's the best way to digest large tracts of information in a day and age where we're all pressed for time. But I like to believe that intelligent prose makes one take a detour to stop and smell the proverbial roses.

Quote:
Took the mobile up for a speed read of this thread as I was due in for a meeting. But it didn't turn out to be a speed read - it turned out to be a slow read taking in every word so as to savour the various bits and pieces including the cunning punning ones.
This. This really hits the spot. I'm utterly delighted to hear I could make you hang onto my tale and even attempt to peel away each layer of the thoughts I punned down.

Quote:
Was broken out of my reverie by a call on the other line reminding me of the meeting. Talk of rude awakenings. Brought me back to reality.

Thank you for taking the effort to do your review differently.
You're welcome. The pleasure is almost entirely on this side of the digital divide.

Quote:
They say sometimes a car is better than the review and sometimes the review is better than the car. Ok, no one said that, they said something else but in your case I hope your car is better than the review for then it would be fantastic.
I believe the car is just slightly better than the review and if I may so myself, that's saying a lot.

Quote:
And before I forget - congratulations. Hope you did check the service history from BMW and that it confirmed the 18000 kms bit. This translates to around 60 kms a week - folks who fix modded exhausts would usually do more.
Thanks! I could barely believe things myself, so I checked out the service history and records myself, and the numbers match up. This was a second owner car, and the second owner (a BHPian, Sandy Kudva) barely had it for a year and 4000 kilometers. Unbelievable as it is, it really does check out.

Quote:
Fuel costs, car prices, maintenance costs, new legislation are all pushing us towards the end of the true blue enthusiast life cycle. And so it helps to do a stint with a car like this - you can always say you've been there, done that. Though for an enthusiast we are never done doing that.
Amen, brother. I agree completely with you. It bums me out no end to think that the beauty of being pulled along by many galloping horses will be lost on generations to come. I still can't fathom the fact that we might well be the last of the Mohicans. Truth be told, I wish this car had the extra 2 cylinders, but then we can't have it all. Or can we? I had a spin in an M2 recently. What. A. Car. I know I shouldn't be looking to the future so soon, but this is part of the human condition.

Quote:
Quoting GTO - beg, borrow or steal good cars while they last. Now that's a tip - the next time you're low on budget and can't wait you know what to do. I usually steal.
Garage locking intensifies

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Awesome review! It's a lovely car. Wishing you many happy miles. The pictures look amazing too.The suspension upgrade makes a world of difference along with the shift to tubeless. I got B6 with Michelin Ps4 and that changed the handling considerably. Waiting for the M Performance exhaust installation in my car soon.
Thanks Robi! I really am looking forward to the B6's being slapped on. Whether I stick with the stock springs or not remains to be seen. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the P Zero's for a while. Whatte problem to have. But the Frenchies are definitely on the menu once I'm done with these Italians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
A friend did install a tuning box in his 328i and with power bumped up to around 290hp/415Nm there isn’t much you want from the car, waiting for my BSI to get over soon, so that I can do the same for mine.��
Very interesting option, although I reckon I'm going to go with a remap instead. How much did this cost, if I may ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
This tab has been open on my phone for the past two days, and I've read it over and over again quite a few times. Your writing is something else, bhai.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for all the times you read it over and over. Makes the slightly excruciating effort to write this well and truly worth it.

Quote:
The car looks lovely in that shade, and the photography is brilliant too.
Aye on both counts! That red makes the car one spicy meatball, and my buddy outdid himself in capturing these pics.

Quote:
I had one favourite ownership thread previously: Samar117's Zen thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...i-zen-vxi.html), and this one joins the list! Wish you many many happy miles with Red, and please treat us to such literary brilliance more often
Thank you for your very kind words, and rest assured I will keep things going along swimmingly. Stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
What a superb review! And that red colour looks absolutely awesome on that car. If I were to have a BMW it would be in this very colour.
Thank you, and that would be a very wise choice, unless Sakhir Orange is somehow an option. That color is something else.

Quote:
I think this car is one of the best decisions that you have made.
It's the best decision I've made since the time I was mulling over what to use as my handle on here.

Quote:
Enjoy your new ride, and do keep updating the thread. Hope your pet also likes the new car, even though he may not be able to perch on the arm rest!
Thank you, rest assured I will. Believe it or not, he recognizes it just by its sound and has taken quite a shine to it, puny armrest be damned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashish View Post
Congratulations man, A superb review of a superb car. Please do keep updating this thread.
Muchas gracias, mate. I look forward to keeping things lively on here for a long, long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashish View Post
The 3 is definitely going to be a top contender for me if and when I plan to upgrade from my Civic
As it should! The XE petrol is a great option too, IMO. Or maybe a new Civic for the old one?
iliketurtles is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 08:17   #59
BHPian

Outstanding review. Beautiful phraseology.
You have a unique writing style which holds the reader on their seats.
mpshah68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 11:55   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
As it should! The XE petrol is a great option too, IMO. Or maybe a new Civic for the old one?
I have heard many great reviews about the XE petrol too, but the JLR reliability is not something I want to burn my hands withMental block maybe?

Well for the new Civic,the next upgrade ought to be a RWD
Kashish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks