Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2007, 11:00   #46
Max
BHPian

man i cant believe you are getting 21kmpl. Very nice review and thanks for the video. Hey Vishnu if you get time please also post video from inside with doors closed. This will give us more idea how it sounds while starting and in running. Take care and congratulations on your new swiftd.
Old 28th February 2007, 12:40   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
man i cant believe you are getting 21kmpl. Very nice review and thanks for the video. Hey Vishnu if you get time please also post video from inside with doors closed. This will give us more idea how it sounds while starting and in running. Take care and congratulations on your new swiftd.
Actually it would be nearly impossible to capture the incabin sound with the camera, the car is pretty silent inside...I would recommend you to take a drive to get that feel...
Old 1st March 2007, 00:01   #48
BHPian

Hi Guys, The FE figures i got were sort of dissapointing compared to the figures quoted here thats why i delayed m post so that i could reconfirm it with a change in driving style. But still the results stay dissapointing.

I got 14.5KMPL on my first fulltank attempt. its 50% in city and 50% in highway (although the highways here are virtually like cities now a days) AC on 50%. During this attempt i practically activated turbo on every chance i got. Almost touched 120 once.

The FE had me dissapointed since i was expecting atleast 18KMPL. So i decided to alter my driving habits and slowed down to a great extent. For my second attempt i decided not to push the turbo unless nescessary. Slowed down to an max of 60-80KMPH driving mostly on top gears even at 40-50KMPH. But the FE still remained the same if not worse.

The car is done 900KMS in all and the suspension and FE have remained my only concerns. The suspension although excellent in the city, behaved very bad on poor roads and potholes but i belive it could be due to higher air pressure in the tyres. This issue will slowly decrease with time. But i am mystified how people get FE in 20's from the same engine. The first service is due this week. Hope to see some improvement then as the engine seems to be a little fast right now.

Having said this i should say that i am extremely happy with the car other than for its current FE due to the fact that i had high expectations from the reports on the website. I was looking forward to the higher FE to justify the extra amount i spent on the diesel version.

Can anyone provide any driving tips for better FE.
How does frequent driving above 2000RPM (turbo active) affect the FE?
I shall keep you guys informed on the stats after Service.

Forgot to mention that i also had issues with putting the gear into reverse. Often if done in a hurry the gear falls into a dummy reverse position where you feel a click and the reverse beepers go off but the car refuses to budge.
But if done slowly or with enough practice you may not get this issue.
Old 1st March 2007, 01:54   #49
BHPian

Don't forget this is the award winning FIAT Multijet engine. After all, it didn't win the award just like that.....imagine what will it do, when FIAT themselves launch the much successful Grande Punto Diesel option...!
Old 1st March 2007, 11:55   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepd11 View Post
I got 14.5KMPL on my first fulltank attempt. its 50% in city and 50% in highway (although the highways here are virtually like cities now a days) AC on 50%. During this attempt i practically activated turbo on every chance i got. Almost touched 120 once.
Hi Dileep,

My car is nearing 2000 KM mark now and the FE figures are kind of consistent now...Couple of things for you to try

1) The first thing I would recommend is try a different fuel station, that has a lot of thing to do with the mileage. I had a friend who worked for Exon lubes, he strongly says that there is no bunk that delivers the 100% quantity (varies from 90-95% itseems) and most often petrol is adultrated with some compound (dont remeber may be ethanol or something) and diesel is adultrated with Kerosene which will be serious pull down factors for FE. I fuel with a HP bunk in Bangalore that my friend suggested, he said even there there is quantity difference and adultration but its better than the rest.

2) I tried Shell lubes in Bangalore once and the FE dropped from 20/21 to 18.5 on mixed highway (2/3rds) + city (1/3rds) driving, not sure may the engines are not tuned for shell quality fuel. So stick to normal diesel from a good bunk.

3) When I drive in the city I hardly accelerate to open the turbo, the engine mostly rests in non turbo range, when it comes to highway I treat the car little harsh, I use the turbo in lower gears, but I shift to 5th at around 65, so thats the ratios in which I drive. I also drove till 120 and was consistently doing >100. So this might be a tip for you for in city driving.

4) ACI FE figures say that in city its 14.x and on highway it is 18.x (Mumbai based ones) with 100% A/c. But in their scale, Fiesta Diesel city/highway is 13.x / 17.x and Swift petrol is <10, so everything also depends on test road conditions too. They have told that on normal driving conditions Swift DDSi is the most fuel efficient one in India.

Anyways wait for the first service. In the first service, they change just the oil and not the filter. I was charged 800 bucks for the oil. I'm planning to shift to synthetic lubes after 10000 KMs.

I will post the entire ACi Mar review article tonight.

Vishnu
Old 1st March 2007, 14:31   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will post the entire ACi Mar review article tonight.
thats copyright infringement. People who are interested can buy Mar ACI
Old 2nd March 2007, 09:04   #52

When I was test driving I have asked the (RNS Motors bangalore )sales executive about the FE. He was saying their customers are reporting fig ranging from 14-16 before first service. He claimed that after service it improves to 16-18 in city.

Folks from Pratham motors told me that they have tested and they have got 18 in city without AC.
Old 2nd March 2007, 23:49   #53

best report on swift crdi. 21km/l milage! you have not mentioned about usage of a.c. what is the milage on a.c. usage?
Old 5th March 2007, 12:26   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravee1a View Post
best report on swift crdi. 21km/l milage! you have not mentioned about usage of a.c. what is the milage on a.c. usage?
I presume I mentioned it, but anyways, 21 KMPL on highway is with 100% A/c...from start till I reached the destination with 5 passengers + luggage, fuel filled from HP outlet. In city, its 17-18 with A/c on most of the time (75%) and mostly with 1 or 2 passengers.
Old 5th March 2007, 14:13   #55
Senior - BHPian

Swift suspension is not upto the mark although better than Santro. Swift suspension makes lot of noise when driven in bad roads, many folks thought something went wrong with car but its maruti quality thats all.

MUL agreed on bad roads swift suspension makes lot of noise, it irritates a lot.

About FE its common few guys get either too less or bit high, I feel its something to do with calculation or particular lucky or unlucky unit

Few guys told Swift P gives 7 to 8 kmpl in city but it should give at least 11kmpl. So its all based on driving style/calculation/fuel bunk/luck.

Ravi.
Old 5th March 2007, 14:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

My 1 1/2 month old swift petrol has consistently given FE of 14 kmpl in Bangalore. I use AC intermittently (although I may have to use it now since the temps are increasing). I never cross 2000 rpm (dont see a need). Used to get between 12 and 13 on my old Zen and hence I am not too surprised with Swift.
Old 6th March 2007, 10:30   #57

Care for a new-gen diesel car

Hi,

I just joined this forum. Planning to buy a Swift VDI myself but am aprehensive about diesel cars per se.

Driving my friend's Indica once, I did notice driving instructions and gear change directions at certain speeds for the first 3000 kms. Similar instructions were also present for "gear speeds" after 3000. I guess that's what they call the run in period.

So the question remains - How does one optimally treat this Swift VDI during and after the run in period?

Also does anyone know if the folks at Maruti can tune up this engine to extract more FE or power?

Please also do let us know if the FE figures that have been posted are for Premium diesel or the ordinary ones.

Ciao
Old 6th March 2007, 12:35   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommydotcom View Post
Hi,

Please also do let us know if the FE figures that have been posted are for Premium diesel or the ordinary ones.

Ciao
I never use Premium fuel...I dont think its well suited for CRDi engines...I d recommend others not to try them too (based on the posts I have read about their effects on Innova & Verna)
Old 6th March 2007, 13:21   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
I never use Premium fuel...I dont think its well suited for CRDi engines...I d recommend others not to try them too (based on the posts I have read about their effects on Innova & Verna)
Your right, it is much safer to use the regular diesel over premium ones for the common rail diesel engines for several reasons posted here on this forum.

I use always the regular diesel
Old 8th March 2007, 21:13   #60
BHPian

hi guys

just got my vdi yesterday, a little too early to talk about mileage. The car feels real nice, maruti has got it right with the diesel this time. Once i cross 500km, i shall post a proper review. For now, im just uploading a pic.

The only thing i did was to upsize to 15" with Michelin energy tyres. 195 60 15.

Cheers
Vignesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks