Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2007, 11:42   #1

Suzuki SX4 1.6 ZXI Test Drive Report

So here it comes...

Drove the zxi variant yesterday in peak hour traffic and a speed run ....

Since it had DEMO CAR painted all over it and was bullying all the smaller cars away , it made a lot heads turn.

Steering was not too light like verna and the feedback provided was enough.

Engine is nicely packed with almost linear torque delivery ( that too without VVT). Fared better than the fiesta 1.4 . With 102 horses under the hood it had enough to zip past the mute spectators. Also its torque delivery at a higher rpm meant less gear shifts. Top speed attained by me was 160.

Gearbox -> Wasnt as smooth but this was expected as the car had done only 32km . however the gear ratios looked in place.

Handling -> This was the only area of concern for me as the car had a mild body roll considering its tall body design and a higer CG due its higher ground clearance. So all speed freaks , let it be known high speed cornering is at your own risk ( or skill , i must say ).

Ride Quality -> Class C comfort . Very sturdy suspension and it the potholes very nicely. However the engine was not a silent types like NHC and had a grunt which can be heard inside.

NVH -> Horn was heard more inside than the people outside. Also the noise proofing element was not up to the mark ( it might be due to the excessive delhi-horn-happy folks)

Climate control was a pleasure to have and so was those amber illuminated dials to look at.

ABS brought the beast to a nice stop without any shakings . ( a must have.)

The car was notches above in stability than NHC at high speed straight runs. Cornering remains a weak link.

Considering its wide tyres , 1.6 L engine and power delivery promises FE should be expected to be in range of 9-10.

Lets see when does TBHP TD team does a comprehensive review.
Old 8th May 2007, 12:17   #2
BHPian

Nicely written kunal. So in a personal opinion, do you think it as a replacement for Baleno? That's what the news channels have been flashing over the past few days, would like to know from you though.
Old 8th May 2007, 12:24   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thats a FIRST! Thanks for sharing this, Kunal. Spot on with the report and the car seems to be just what I expected. Looks like the 205 tyres have been put for a reason (and not only premium positioning).

Man, cant wait till I get in the drivers seat.
Old 8th May 2007, 12:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Any pics? And where in Delhi did you reach 160kmph?
Old 8th May 2007, 12:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Nice first impression Kunal. Any idea what size of rims does the car come with? Is it 16 inch by any chance?
Old 8th May 2007, 12:31   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Nice first impression Kunal. Any idea what size of rims does the car come with? Is it 16 inch by any chance?
the zxi does come with 16inchers.
Old 8th May 2007, 12:33   #7
BANNED

Nice report , Curious to know where u did 160 in peak hours lol
Old 8th May 2007, 12:37   #8
BHPian

nice report kunal ,was waiting for someone to TD a sx4 and share the experience.
Old 8th May 2007, 12:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice review

buttt
Quote:
Also its torque delivery at a higher rpm meant less gear shifts
I thought Torque at lower rpms means lesser shifts ?
Old 8th May 2007, 12:59   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the report Kunal.

1. In your opinion, what is safe speed while turning corners ?
2. I agree with your estimated FE numbers. If it gives more than 10 in city driving conditions, thats a bonus.
Old 8th May 2007, 13:08   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

kunal1983,

Good first impression. The most eagerly awaited feedback will be about the engine

By

Quote:
Engine is nicely packed with almost linear torque delivery
do you mean that acceleration is not brisk in any gear, but the engine is tractable in any gear due to an even torque curve. In which case, can the car be assumed to be pleasantly drivable but not a driver-happy car?
Old 8th May 2007, 13:10   #12
Team-BHP Support

Kunal, you could have helped out by adding some pics to the TD report, specially the interiors which everyone is raving about.
Old 8th May 2007, 13:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Kunal thanks a ton for the much awaited 1st TD review.
Quote:
The car was notches above in stability than NHC at high speed straight runs. Cornering remains a weak link.
Something that should be driven and experienced.

Quote:
Considering its wide tyres , 1.6 L engine and power delivery promises FE should be expected to be in range of 9-10.
Aint that a bit on the lower side?? Anyways need to wait and watch once its on the road.

Mahesh please call RNS and check if they can provide a TD , coz I have been informed that they should have one with them by this friday for TD.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 8th May 2007 at 13:30.
Old 8th May 2007, 13:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Its really sad the cornering and handling are not upto the mark, i guess the main reason for this is the high GC of 190mm. I think 170mm GC is more then enough. Secondly the looks of the car is a tad dissapointing, i find the Baleno to have a better front and better side profile with its ground hugging type design with low GC and low height.

I will be going for a TD mostly today so will get all detailed pics.
Old 8th May 2007, 13:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Mahesh please call RNS and check if they can provide a TD , coz I have been informed that they should have one with them by this friday for TD.
Riju,

Our small wonder is currently there attending the launch - he is expected to cut the ribbon himself. Small Blunder also was in the process of meeting the GM Patil there for details. I've asked Small Smaller to keep me posted abt TD details - I'll let you know if I hear anything

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks