Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:23   #76
BHPian

Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderIce View Post
Recieved this today for the upcoming XC40 (Prices are for Gurgaon, Haryana)

Exshowroom 4590000
Hassle free - 270000
————————————
Exshowroom 4320000
Tcs - 43200
Logistic -89000
Insurance - 120000
Registration 465700
—————————————

On Road : 5037900

Also attached is the comparison I recieved from the SA on Old vs New.

They don't have TD vehicles available yet. Can't wait to try one when possible.
Slightly different then what's shown on the website:

Here is the excerpt from the Volvo Website:

Ex-Showroom Price:
Rs. 44,50,000

Offer* Price:
Rs. 41,99,000

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-untitled.png
shahbaz63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:22   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz63 View Post
Slightly different then what's shown on the website:

Here is the excerpt from the Volvo Website:

Ex-Showroom Price:
Rs. 44,50,000

Offer* Price:
Rs. 41,99,000

Attachment 2353576
The price on website is for the outgoing model. The one I provided is for the new mild hybrid version available from October onwards.
ThunderIce is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 21:50   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderIce View Post
Recieved this today for the upcoming XC40 (Prices are for Gurgaon, Haryana)

Exshowroom 4590000
Hassle free - 270000
————————————
Exshowroom 4320000
Tcs - 43200
Logistic -89000
Insurance - 120000
Registration 465700
—————————————

On Road : 5037900
Thanks @ThunderIce for sharing. Essentially it's going to cost 1.21 L more from the outgoing model (Ex-Showroom), looking at features additions this is not a bad deal. The biggest advantage is the B4 mild hybrid setup, it will increase the FE of the car for sure.

Also, logistics is a bogus charge you should get it removed. I saw a court order somewhere in one of the forums here in Team-bhp stating its not legal to charge. Insurance can also be negotiated or you can look at better deal directly from Insurance company.

Major additions in MY23:

- Silent car with better noise insulation
- External dimming mirrors
- Softer suspension
- BLIS with rear collision
- Connected car
- Mild hybrid drive-train
- 7 hp more

What's going away:

- R-design (Rims, gear selector, pedals)
- Dynamic chassis (Why do i feel this will make the new car drive a little boring....just my assumption...the new chassis is touring) however the new chassis will make the car more smoother over bumps and undulations
- Road sign information
- Active bending headlights
- Drive selector button ( now you need to used the screen to do this)
- Dual tone body color ( I personally love the dual tone setup)

Also, there is a lot of feedback internationally on buggy android integration which replaced Sensus. Apple CarPlay has major issues in running. Folks might want to check that up before purchasing.

Overall, it's a step up for sure. However, there is uncertainty around when the new model will be available.
gismosin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 00:38   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gismosin View Post
Hi, after reading your post I went and tried to play around with music at different volumes and different tracks. Lucky, I have no problem in my car. The music system is clear without any vibrations. Hopefully, its a one off thing and it gets fixed after the speaker replacement. Do keep us updated on the thread about the progress. I am sure it would help other owners of the car.
This update might come a bit late, but I did manage to get the speaker system fixed. They changed the driver side speaker with a new one. After all tuning and adjustments I can easily say that this set-up was as good as or even better than the TD car. Even checked the other XC40's that happen to be in the shop. Most of them lacked a bit of clarity in atleast one speaker when isolated individually. One needs high quality loss less audio to highlight the difference. Have to mention the service station gave me a guy whose only job was to handle infotainment and sound system issues. Like myself, he was quite the audiophile. He had his own playlist to check out different audio responses from the sound system. Another young technician who got interested in what we were doing joined in and we ended up setting up all speakers perfectly (Only front speakers needed adjustment). Attaching some pictures of the door speaker cladding and air woofer. Good too see a fair amount of damping material used behind the door claddings.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-20220526_104422.jpg  

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-20220526_104429.jpg  

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-20220503_123305.jpg  

Karuz16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 11:03   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karuz16 View Post
This update might come a bit late, but I did manage to get the speaker system fixed. They changed the driver side speaker with a new one. After all tuning and adjustments I can easily say that this set-up was as good as or even better than the TD car.
Thanks Karuz16! I am glad they were able to fix the audio issue. The audio system is one of the strong point of the XC40. The HK system is really good and is an integral part of our long drive experience, now you can enjoy the audio experience uninterrupted

Do share your overall experience with you car, what kind of mileage are you getting? I am able to squeeze out a max of 10 Kmpl in the city.

Another interesting thing is I had put XP95 petrol in my car and mileage dropped to 8 Kmpl
Old 10th September 2022, 09:29   #81

I own a 2016, Volvo S60 with ODO reading of 45K. Till now I have been servicing my car at authorized Volvo service centre.

However, with many new multi brand premium car service centre coming up in my city, Gurugram, I am contemplating servicing my car in one of those centres.

Some of my friends have had good experience at these non-authorized centres with their BMW and Audis. However, are they able to efficiently handle Volvo cars?

- Are Volvo spares easily available with these centres?

Anyone with any thoughts to share is highly welcome!

Cheers.
Old 10th September 2022, 09:32   #82

I wonder if anyone has experiences of using multi brand premium car service centres [non-authorized Volvo centres] for servicing their Volvo cars?

Many of my friends use such centres for their BMW/ Audis. Are they good for Volvos as well? Do they have spares readily available etc?

Thanks a ton !
Old 10th September 2022, 23:30   #83

Quote:

Do share your overall experience with you car, what kind of mileage are you getting? I am able to squeeze out a max of 10 Kmpl in the city.

:
The experience has been amazing so far. The ride quality of this car is just perfect! The balance between firmness and softness could not have been better. Add to that the superior comfort of the front seats and a good amount of power and torque, it's easy to see why all reviews online up to 2021 rated this car as the overall best in the segment. Long drives are mostly effortless. The Aisin gearbox which is the same as the X1 is smooth as long as I don't push the throttle too much. It's just a nice place to be in. Ample torque, too. In fact, I remember getting some accidental wheel spin during my initial week of experimenting with the dynamic mode.

The only gripe I have with this car, and it is a big one, is that the rear seats are too upright and might as well be the worst in class or at least close to it. As my aged parents frequent these seats, I am still trying to make it comfier. Added back cushions and neck pillows to give that recliner feel but still not quite there yet. One interesting omission is the grab handle for rear passengers. My mom has a shoulder issue and avoids putting the weight of her arm on her rotator cuff during long drives. She pointed this out to me(it might not be an issue for younger people). So I make her sit in front if we are driving to my hometown (Himachal).

I sometimes compare the recline angle at the back to the economy seat in an aircraft without moving the seat back. Still okay, but it could be better. Fortunately, the ride quality is great no matter which seat you're in. Even on the drive to my village, the mountain roads were dealt with without much body roll. Surprisingly, even the middle seat passenger gets a seat belt unbuckled warning! I know not many people like to wear a seat belt when seated in the middle, but my car, my rules.

As for mileage, I've been getting 13kmpl with mixed driving. I was using XP100 for a long, but after an incident where the xp100 fuel stained my car's paint (fuel drops that trickled onto the paint when the petrol pump attendant pulled out the fuel nozzle left a brown stain), I've changed over to XP95. I now politely ask the pump attendant not to drop any fuel on the paint job. I did not see much change in mileage even after switching to XP95. Btw, I have it on good authority (a friend who works for Indian oil) that the XP100 is the only pure un-blended petrol. The XP91 and XP95 are lower octane petrol blended with ethanol to enhance the octane number and meet the fuel requirements.

Consequently, the xp95 has a slightly higher octane number, ~97, due to the blend. This is actually cheating as they charge us for petrol even if part of it is a cheaper fluid. When you compare the price difference between XP95 and XP100, it's easier to believe that such blending might be taking place. However, in performance-wise, I didn't see any measurable difference. Mileage figures were almost identical. After some trial and error, I have settled on 36psi to be the best tyre pressure giving the best ride and higher fuel economy without sacrificing comfort. It's even mentioned on the tyre pressure sticker that 38psi is recommended for higher economy. I found this 38psi pressure to give a very stiff ride. At 32-33psi, it felt like I was dragging on the road and giving a poor economy (9-10kmpl). At 36psi, the car feels considerably smoother (almost glides on the road). Try this pressure, if you haven't already, and give me your feedback. You might see some improved economy too.

Mod Note - No mention of Illegal speeds. Only Two smileys are allowed. Proofread before posting.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-20220608_202632.jpg  

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-20220317_144546.jpg  

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-20220429_132122.jpg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th November 2022 at 22:14. Reason: Illegal speed, spell, grammar, spacing. Poorly written.
Karuz16 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 21:55   #84
BHPian

Quote:

The only gripe I have with this car and it is a big one, is that the rear seats are too upright and might as well be the worst in class or at least close to it. As my aged parents frequent these seats, I am still trying to make it comfier.
Totally agree with you on this, one of the major drawback of this car, also a bit stingy on the thigh support as well. Since majority of time the rear bench is occupied by my kid, I could afford to overlook this.

Quote:
As for mileage, I've been getting 13kmpl with mixed driving. Was using XP100 for long, but after an incident where the xp100 fuel stained my cars paint (fuel drops that trickled onto the paint when the petrol pump attendant pulled out the fuel nozzle left a brown stain) I've changed over to XP95 for good.
This my friend is a miracle! my stubborn mule refuses to give anything beyond 10 Kmpl, since i started filling XP 95 it had dropped to 8 Kmpl and the last fill gave me 6 Kmpl! . I have gone back to regular fuel and its now back to 10 Kmpl...very strange behavior and not sure what to make of it... I usually use comfort mode and am a sedate driver...but with Eco mode in city and very careful driving I am able to extract may be 1-2 Kmpl of extra mileage.

Quote:
t's even mentioned on the tyre pressure sticker that 38psi is recommended for higher economy. I found this 38psi pressure to give a very stiff ride. At 32-33psi it felt a bit like I was dragging on the road and giving a poor economy
I always used to put 33 psi, that is what I saw Volvo recommended. However after reading your post, I topped it up to 36 psi...I felt the ride to be bit smooth but no major impact on mileage so far. I have a decent trip coming up of 400Km, will try and observe more.
Old 4th October 2022, 13:30   #85

Hello fellas,
Planning to take D4 inscription which has clocked 51k. Took it for a drive and found it comforting. I am able to negotiate a good deal. This being BS IV and 3.5 years old, will it be good choice? Or should I focus on the new B4 mild hybrid.
My usage - Wife has Honda City 2021 which we use for our trips so far. With volvo, I might be planning to clock ~10k per year - mostly city and occasionally highways.
Old 4th October 2022, 17:34   #86

Quote:

This my friend is a miracle! my stubborn mule refuses to give anything beyond 10 Kmpl, since i started filling XP 95 it had dropped to 8 Kmpl and the last fill gave me 6 Kmpl! . I have gone back to regular fuel and its now back to 10 Kmpl...very strange behavior and not sure what to make of it... I usually use comfort mode and am a sedate driver...but with Eco mode in city and very careful driving I am able to extract may be 1-2 Kmpl of extra mileage.

I always used to put 33 psi, that is what I saw Volvo recommended. However after reading your post, I topped it up to 36 psi...I felt the ride to be bit smooth but no major impact on mileage so far. I have a decent trip coming up of 400Km, will try and observe more.

Hmmm... Interesting! I dont think it has anything to do with the fuel. Higher octane shouldn't lower FE. Might be a one off month where you regularly encountered more traffic, or the car was standing still for a longer time. Anytime I get a lower figure FE during a trip I do quickly check the car performance data which shows the duration of trip and average speed just to have a better idea of the time spent stationary. I previously attached pictures of the fuel figures just in case I was looking at the wrong readings !

I too never got a FE higher than 10kmpl with 33psi pressure. Let me know what you get after your holiday. 400km is good enough to test its effect on FE. Volvo actually recommends 38psi but I doubt you'll find that comfortable. Hope you have a great trip man. I work on a ship so I too am longing for a trip since months ! Hopefully will be back before Diwali. Can't wait to get my hands on the car
Karuz16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 17:49   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeet0112 View Post
Hello fellas,
Planning to take D4 inscription which has clocked 51k. Took it for a drive and found it comforting. I am able to negotiate a good deal. This being BS IV and 3.5 years old, will it be good choice? Or should I focus on the new B4 mild hybrid.
My usage - Wife has Honda City 2021 which we use for our trips so far. With volvo, I might be planning to clock ~10k per year - mostly city and occasionally highways.

The old D4 is a pretty good package. There are some differences in features between the two except the obvious (the mild hybrid). The older D4 actually came pretty well loaded, with BLIS (blindspot monitoring system), heated steering and seats (useful only if you live in the North) and paddle shifters, proper leather seats, and better looking alloy wheels IMO. Ride and handling wise from what I've read is that there isn't a day and night deference between the two and the new Android Infotainment system is laggy for a few users ( but not a deal breaker but any means).
However, a 360deg camera, auto darkening ORVM, default Google maps navigation system might actually sway it towards the B4. I feel you should do a feature comparison between the two and list out the things that actually matter to you.
Karuz16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 04:19   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellas,
A pre-owned D4 (R-Design/Inscription) is a great option when compared to a new B4(Ultimate).

Here’s why:
- Price. 30 Lacs for a pre-owned D4, vs 54 for a new B4. (Refer Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)) by GTO)
- Depreciation. With electric going mainstream in few years, we can expect an accelerated depreciation for ICE cars in few years. So lower investment is better.
- Mileage. In mixed driving, a D4 gives you around 13 kmpl (vs ~10kmpl on T4/B4). Atleast 30% cost savings per km. On a couple of occasions, I tried hypermiling (~70kmph) and got 20kmpl on 100km Highway runs. Insane efficiency with the D4, if you can manage a light foot.
- Features (cornering lights, paddle shifts, storage under seat). Missing in new B4.
- Dual Tone Roof. Missing in B4
- Alloy Wheels. Great in D4, lame in B4.

The only plus for the B4 seems to be the mild hybrid and google auto, which can be easily skipped for now.

—-
To summarise, I would really suggest to get a pre-owned D4 (R-Design if possible), and then move to Electric in 3-4 years.

If you really have to buy a new XC40, the Recharge at 59Lacs OTR is a much better buy.

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th October 2022 at 05:40. Reason: Maximum 2 smileys per post please. Thank you!
evolvo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 11:05   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
A pre-owned D4 (R-Design/Inscription) is a great option when compared to a new B4(Ultimate).

Here’s why:
- Price. 30 Lacs for a pre-owned D4, vs 54 for a new B4. (Refer Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)) by GTO)
- Depreciation. With electric going mainstream in few years, we can expect an accelerated depreciation for ICE cars in few years. So lower investment is better.
- Mileage. In mixed driving, a D4 gives you around 13 kmpl (vs ~10kmpl on T4/B4). Atleast 30% cost savings per km. On a couple of occasions, I tried hypermiling (~70kmph) and got 20kmpl on 100km Highway runs. Insane efficiency with the D4, if you can manage a light foot.
- Features (cornering lights, paddle shifts, storage under seat). Missing in new B4.
- Dual Tone Roof. Missing in B4
- Alloy Wheels. Great in D4, lame in B4.

The only plus for the B4 seems to be the mild hybrid and google auto, which can be easily skipped for now.

—-
To summarise, I would really suggest to get a pre-owned D4 (R-Design if possible), and then move to Electric in 3-4 years.

If you really have to buy a new XC40, the Recharge at 59Lacs OTR is a much better buy.
Whoa! This is really good insight. Guid from GTO is mind-boggling. Will vampire-hunt D4 now. Looking forward to submit my first drive experience soon
Old 13th October 2022, 00:52   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Whoa! This is really good insight. Guid from GTO is mind-boggling. Will vampire-hunt D4 now. Looking forward to submit my first drive experience soon

Agree with most of what evolvo says, the only additional thing you need to ask yourself is how long do you plan to hold on to the car. if your answer is 8 years and above then, new might be a consideration.

D4 is a great choice with 51k on a 3.5 year old car, it looks like a good deal. Would recommend get it checked at a Volvo service center and look at service history if possible. Otherwise you should be set...expect some relatively higher service bills past 5 year mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post

I would not worry too much about ICE cars going down in value in a hurry. Yes, electric is the future but not the present yet... Will take a good five years for cars to be mainstream and charging network to catch up...for now waiting 2-3 hours on a highway for a car to charge is a deal-breaker for most of us.

Do let us know the choice you made and your experience with the car as well. Either ways, I am sure you will not be disappointed.
gismosin is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks