Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2021, 11:14   #46

Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

Completed 10K Kms on my XC40 and just got the 1st servicing done. Took the service package of VSP for 4 years and 2 services per year/every 10K kms up till 80K kms.
riteshkumarmoha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 23:36   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshkumarmoha View Post
Completed 10K Kms on my XC40 and just got the 1st servicing done. Took the service package of VSP for 4 years and 2 services per year/every 10K kms up till 80K kms.
Do you find service pack value for money? I also thought it's one service per year...regular and I don't think I will cross the 10k mark in a year. So plan to not take the service pack.

How did your first service go? any issues/ challenges you had? will be interested to know your experience.
Old 28th October 2021, 17:36   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gismosin View Post
Do you find service pack value for money? I also thought it's one service per year...regular and I don't think I will cross the 10k mark in a year. So plan to not take the service pack.

How did your first service go? any issues/ challenges you had? will be interested to know your experience.
I felt it would be value for money for me as I drive about 25K a year. Therefore to keep the cost low, it will certainly help for atleast the first 3 years.

First Service went smoothly, I didn’t have anything to report, it was all hunky dory. I had asked for a Driver pick up which was promptly arranged even when I stay about 60 kms away from the service station in Hyderabad. He did a thorough check and clicked all the pictures from all the angles including the inside and the meters and sent it instantly. He shared his live location with me till he reached the service center.

The service advisor called me and I didn’t have had much to say except that the brakes had a sound when you move them from parking in the morning and I was guessing it had something to do with the fact that my car gets parked in a little incline so I was thinking there is some pressure on the parking brakes.

The Car was delivered the next day .

I have a dash cam and I had requested them to integrate it with the USB through the internal wiring but they declined it saying it was not possible to do so in this car. Has anyone done this before on any other car?
riteshkumarmoha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 14:51   #49

Hi, thanks a lot for your post. I am also considering a Volvo XC40, can I know how do you find the rear seat ride? 60% of the time I ride with a chauffer and during a test drive a few years back, I found the rear seat too upright.

Any other tips guidance during the buying process would be great. Thanks.
Old 19th November 2021, 16:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash2385 View Post
Hi, thanks a lot for your post. I am also considering a Volvo XC40, can I know how do you find the rear seat ride? 60% of the time I ride with a chauffer and during a test drive a few years back, I found the rear seat too upright.

Any other tips guidance during the buying process would be great. Thanks.
Hi there, to be honest XC40 is not a car meant to be chauffer driven. The best experience is in the front of the car. This is a typical car for young millennial family. This does not mean the rear seats are bad, but not class leading for sure. Some people have issues with how upright the back seats are. However would recommend you take a test drive and ensure you sit at the back and experience it yourself. As I mentioned earlier, this car is not really intended to be chauffer driven.

Buying is straight forward, there is an offer on XC40 and beyond which there is no discount. Just check for any dubious charges in the quote. Insurance quoted is also pretty competitive.
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:41   #51
BHPian

Took the XC40 for a long drive to Kabini, from Hyderabad via Bangalore. Round trip of 1698 KM will not go in to details here as I have published a lengthy travelogue. You can find it in the link below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...olvo-xc40.html (Road-Trip to Kabini in my Volvo XC40)

Here are some quick observations:
  • Had a fantastic time in the cabin. The XC40 drives superbly, the lighter steering means less stress on your hands. I clocked 130 KMPH for a short duration and it was simply effortless. You always feel confident and in control of the car. The Michelin 235/55 R18 tires give you great grip.
  • Never felt the car lags for power, just press on the accelerator hard and it downshifts aggressively.
  • Boot Storage is limited, at least compared to my old City. You cannot stack up much as it hampers rear visibility.
  • The phenomenal ground clearance (I believe, best in this segment) makes for a confident drive over speed-breakers/potholes.
  • Prompts you to nearest fuel pump once the tank capacity reaches below 100 KM range. Nice touch.
  • The Sensus navigation sucks lemons and melons, totally useless. Google maps on CarPlay is the way to go. But wired CarPlay means
  • Harman Kardon music system is a treat, makes your drive much more fun and relaxing. Again, I believe, best in the segment.
  • The Car gave me a mileage of 8.2 KM per 100 liters, roughly translating to 12.1 KMPL, in the city I get about 10KMPL so mileage remains relatively OK.
  • The Collision avoidance kicked in a couple of times when the car felt I was too close to the vehicle ahead or approaching it at a faster speed. Was a shocker at first few times, now used to the car’s way of thinking, makes you drive safer.
  • Headlight throw is excellent. Auto headlights are pretty good, shifts between high and low beam as needed.
Overall, I find the car effortless to drive. I am satisfied with what the car offers. The only grouse I might have it the relatively low mileage but something I can live with for now.

Clocked 4629 KM on the ODO, no issues or niggles till date.

Interestingly, Volvo jacked up prices of XC40 starting January 2022 to Rs. 43,25,000, but still offering a discount of 2,26,000 making it's ex-showroom price Rs. 40,99,000.
Old 4th January 2022, 01:06   #52
BHPian

I did a TD of xc40 last week and the SA told that the waiting period is 2 months. Also no more diesel. Price quoted around 50L OTR Bangalore.
Old 11th January 2022, 18:34   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivam View Post
I did a TD of xc40 last week and the SA told that the waiting period is 2 months. Also no more diesel. Price quoted around 50L OTR Bangalore.
Waiting period I guess is typical. As far as I know dealers are keeping low inventory and being allocated even less. Volvo has ditched diesel power-trains so they will disappear. Volvo has hiked the prices twice since I bought it, in-line with rest of the manufactures. Honestly, hard to justify the prices being asked for these cars including X1 & GLA. Coming to think of it I am glad I bought it when I did.
Old 29th January 2022, 15:40   #54
BHPian

Re: Added a dashcam

I recently purchased and added a dashcam to my XC40, couple of observations

1) I ordered from a company called FITCAMX they make custom dashcams for many models. So, the Dashcam is designed to a specific model and make of a car.
2) That meant excellent fit and no exposed wiring.
3) On the Volvo, you draw power from the IntelliSafe unit and there is a cap on it which you remove and plug the dashcam in it's place.

My only worry is will this impact car warranty? I can easily uninstall this before sending it over to service though.

Detailed info on the whole installation can be found here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post5246395 (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)

Here are some pics after installation

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20220128-10.02.13-pm.jpegVolvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20220128-10.02.10-pm.jpeg
gismosin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 00:55   #55

Great thread man! Helped me quite a bit in reaffirming my choice to go with the XC40. As they say sometimes the less you know the better it is. So after reading your post I saw the price that you paid for your car, I struggled to pay almost 4Lac extra to get the same car just a few months later ! Made me struggle with my decision for quite a few days before I decided to bite the bullet and go in for the booking. Got the car in 2 days !! Because quite frankly with all car manufacturers hiking their prices, this XC40 still is the king of the compact luxury SUV segment. Was getting a steep discount on the X1 but that car simply doesn't have any sensors on it to call itself a luxury SUV ! It's not the same car that is sold in Europe or US. I hate when manufacturers do this and sell a stripped down version of their car in the Indian market. Really respect Volvo for selling the same spec cars in India. I know the T5 trim isn't available, but the T4 R-design is the same spec car as sold in the UK. Well almost ! Minus the heated seats and steering wheel (useless).

They've removed the headlight washers in my car which is a MY Feb2022. Will give a full update on the changes they've made on these 2022 cars in a while.

BTW, do I really need the extended warranty? It's costing about 1.47lac and I hardly drive 6000km a year. Also they are offering a service package which am definitely not going for. Am also getting a 3year warranty ceramic coating from Volvo dealer for 36k but as I haven't researched the coating yet, I am not getting it done. Do let me know what made you go for the extended warranty ? Does the Volvo engine have a troublesome past ?
Karuz16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 01:50   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gismosin View Post
Detailed info on the whole installation can be found here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post5246395 (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)

Here are some pics after installation

Wow! What a clean looking install. I have been brushing under the rug, the need of a dashcam in my XC60 for a long time now, just because the idea of pulling out pieces of interior trims and shoving a wire through, haunts me to the core. This one might just solve it all. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by RishavRBhardwaj : 11th March 2022 at 01:52.
RishavRBhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 00:10   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karuz16 View Post
Great thread man! Helped me quite a bit in reaffirming my choice to go with the XC40. As they say sometimes the less you know the better it is. So after reading your post I saw the price that you paid for your car, I struggled to pay almost 4Lac extra to get the same car just a few months later ! Made me struggle with my decision for quite a few days before I decided to bite the bullet and go in for the booking. Got the car in 2 days !! Because quite frankly with all car manufacturers hiking their prices, this XC40 still is the king of the compact luxury SUV segment. Was getting a steep discount on the X1 but that car simply doesn't have any sensors on it to call itself a luxury SUV ! It's not the same car that is sold in Europe or US. I hate when manufacturers do this and sell a stripped down version of their car in the Indian market. Really respect Volvo for selling the same spec cars in India. I know the T5 trim isn't available, but the T4 R-design is the same spec car as sold in the UK. Well almost ! Minus the heated seats and steering wheel (useless).

They've removed the headlight washers in my car which is a MY Feb2022. Will give a full update on the changes they've made on these 2022 cars in a while.

BTW, do I really need the extended warranty? It's costing about 1.47lac and I hardly drive 6000km a year. Also they are offering a service package which am definitely not going for. Am also getting a 3year warranty ceramic coating from Volvo dealer for 36k but as I haven't researched the coating yet, I am not getting it done. Do let me know what made you go for the extended warranty ? Does the Volvo engine have a troublesome past ?
Congrats on the new car! I am sure you will love it like I do mine, very little to not like about this car. I can totally understand on the car price going up, In fact I had been suggested to put off purchasing until the pandemic eased up, gland I did not wait thought. But, whatever you paid is the official new price of the car...so it is what it is...still bang for your buck, especially when you compare it to rivals. And totally agree on the BMW X1, it's almost on it's way out and I hope the new variant, when launched, will have better specs.

I would recommend extended warranty, it's like an insurance against any failure that you might have in the car. The car is filled with sensors and radars and what not...the more complex a machine is, the more point of failure it will have. Parts will not be cheap, when needing replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishavRBhardwaj View Post
Wow! What a clean looking install. I have been brushing under the rug, the need of a dashcam in my XC60 for a long time now, just because the idea of pulling out pieces of interior trims and shoving a wire through, haunts me to the core. This one might just solve it all. Thanks for sharing.
Absolutely, similar to you I did not want to touch and remove interior trims. This is the best solution out there and easy to install as well.
Old 6th May 2022, 19:39   #58

Has anyone had any issues with the sound system on their XC40 ? I recently noticed that if I went beyond 50% on the volume dial for a song with decent bass, I'd get this vibration near the dash. While it was minimal I decided to check out the test drive car(2019 built) and found the system to work flawlessly. This prompted me to get it checked at the service station and indeed the air woofer was touching the top plastic cladding on certain songs which gave this bad vibration. The whole this got sorted by adding some foam insulation. However, once the woofer was fixed I noticed the driver side speaker gave a slight crackle and the technician agreed that the driver side speaker was sounding off and ordered a replacement.

I happened to find a brand new XC40 getting its PDI done at the station so with the service advisers permission I checked out the sound system of that car and to my surprise it was actually worse than mine. Seems like Volvo has some supplier issue or just that they have cost cut. The lack of ownership threads for this car is sad so I checked online and found a few UK owners also reporting a bad vibration from the sound system.

Other than that, the experience has been stellar. Just the occasional emergency brake activates when approaching slow moving traffic at speed.
Karuz16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 17:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karuz16 View Post
Has anyone had any issues with the sound system on their XC40 ? I recently noticed that if I went beyond 50% on the volume dial for a song with decent bass, I'd get this vibration near the dash. While it was minimal I decided to check out the test drive car(2019 built) and found the system to work flawlessly. This prompted me to get it checked at the service station and indeed the air woofer was touching the top plastic cladding on certain songs which gave this bad vibration. The whole this got sorted by adding some foam insulation. However, once the woofer was fixed I noticed the driver side speaker gave a slight crackle and the technician agreed that the driver side speaker was sounding off and ordered a replacement.

I happened to find a brand new XC40 getting its PDI done at the station so with the service advisers permission I checked out the sound system of that car and to my surprise it was actually worse than mine. Seems like Volvo has some supplier issue or just that they have cost cut. The lack of ownership threads for this car is sad so I checked online and found a few UK owners also reporting a bad vibration from the sound system.

Other than that, the experience has been stellar. Just the occasional emergency brake activates when approaching slow moving traffic at speed.

Hi, after reading your post I went and tried to play around with music at different volumes and different tracks. Lucky, I have no problem in my car. The music system is clear without any vibrations. Hopefully, its a one off thing and it gets fixed after the speaker replacement. Do keep us updated on the thread about the progress. I am sure it would help other owners of the car.

Very true about the emergency break, learnt to drive a little more cautiously. But by now, I have got the hang of it on how the car thinks, so it's been a while since the breaks acted on their own for me.
Old 15th May 2022, 17:59   #60
BHPian

I just noticed that Volvo hiked the prices again (in April) for XC40 Now the ex-Showroom price is at 44,50,000 and an offer price of 41,99,000. That's a straight 1 Lakh increase in it's previous pricing.

The price of the car has gone up by 5,09,000 since the time I bought it and it's less than a year old...some crazy pricing going around in this segment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks