Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2022, 23:38   #3766
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Is CPL filter absolutely necessary or in most cases, we can do without it ? If yes it would be great if someone can link the CPL filter for 70mai dashcams since trying to find them on amazon is a task and I am not getting anything.
It's not absolutely necessary, but in many cars dashboard reflection becomes so bad that you cannot read number plates even in suitable situations also. And if you are someone who want to keep some footage of scenic drives, this reflection ruins it. 70mai and also DDPai have CPL filter available at their official importer nexdigitron site.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 20th January 2022 at 23:41.
dipdawiz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 02:29   #3767

Kind of an odd request, I already own a yi dash cam. With it's usage experience, Do anyone know of a dash cam with

1. super capacitor instead of lithium ion batteries to survive the tropics. (Ddpai has models but they don't satisfy the next requirment)
2.(weird requirement incoming) Bluetooth connection to sync time instead of disrupting internet with wifi or manual steps on every power on when not hardwired. Or any other solution so that time need not be set up everytime ( not hardwired) for every drive.
3. regular dash cam features like number plate legibility , accident detection, rotate videos automatically etc.

Please recommend any dashcam with minimal hands-on effort, heat tolerance and not needed to be hardwired.

Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 01:22   #3768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arayan5614 View Post
The itch to get a dashcam has been there for sometime, I have been windowshoping for a while and finally got the 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S through Amazon today, it came at a discounted price of 9,999

Attachment 2261757

Attachment 2261758

Would try update the thread with installation experience ��
As promised sharing DIY installation experience :

So there were two options to install the dashcam,

- 1st one was DIY
- 2nd one was getting it done through a mechanic

These days working from home makes you crazy and at least I keep looking for opportunity to escape this jail, where things has become little too monotonous

Doing a DIY seemed to be a good escape and I started my research on 'how to DIY install your cam',

I was sure about doing the hard wiring approach as I never liked the wire hanging from USB port, so I already had got the hard-wiring kit from 'nexdigitron' - just to let others know there are the sellers on the amazon too.

Name:  Seller on Amazon.png
Views: 1853
Size:  41.8 KB

After going through a couple of videos on youtube on how to DIY - the learning was , one need the followings stuff for doing the DIY:

- Hardwiring approach - To Identify two unique fuses in the car's internal fuse box
- A low voltage tester to identity these fuses
- A fuse puller - used to pull out the fuse from the fuse box
- A lot patients to do the tasks
- A plier for attaching the wire to the fuse
- Mobile phone Torch to work underhood - most of the fuse boxes are in dark areas under the dashboard

I didn't have the low voltage tester and never had opened the fuse box ever in my life, with these hesitations I changed my mind of doing the DIY and made a quick visit to my nearby trusted mechanic hoping he would help in identifying the right fuse and attaching wires there

But you know sometimes the things don't work as expected - He wasn't comfortable working on the electrics of car and suggested to go to some other accessory shop to get this done and this is the time I came back with a thought to give it a try

I restarted my research and found two very useful resource to do the DIY:

1. A most detailed DIY article here (DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam) on team-bhp by @arunphilip
2. A youtube video - explained in simpler language

I had some new confidence after going through this article and the video, tried looking for a low cost voltage tester and fuse puller clip but couldn't find any of it

'necessity is the mother of invention!'

This is what a fuse puller clip looks like:

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-car-fuse-puller.jpg

This is my jugaad replacement,which worked like charm and was easily available in our house

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-clothes-pin.jpeg

Only way to go without the low voltage tester was identify the accurate fuse studying the car manual!

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot-20220125-12.46.30-am.png

Action Time:

- locating the fusebox

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-fuse-box-1.jpeg

- Locating the fuse in the box and pulling it out with the clothes peg /pin

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-cloth-pib.jpeg

- Wiring in a jugaadu way - Red and Yellow wire attached with respective fuse

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-fuse-box.jpeg

- Moving the wires under the hood through piller

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-wiring-piller.jpeg

- Placing the cam next to rear view mirror , so that I can look at screen when I need and can use the reverse camera while driving in reverse

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-cam-placement-front.jpeg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-cam-placement-front-outside.jpeg

- Placement of the reverse camera

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-cam-placement-reverse.jpeg

A sample image from front camera:

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-sample-picture-front-camera.jpeg

Sample video from the front camera:

Learning and takeaways:

1. DIY take about an hour for naive like me - be ready to get stuck during the process but be assured it's not that difficult

2. Installing front the camera on the windshield is a bit difficult job especially placing it without a tilt - take help of someone who can guide you from outside to place the camera, I took the help from my wife in installing the camera on the windshield- in return I had to make coffee, in fact, I first made coffee and then sweetly lured her into helping me out

3. Wiring can be done before placing the cams on-screen - in fact, I would suggest you do that first considering the notional position of the cam

4. Reverse cam placement is a no brainer - place it on the centre of the screen/back windshield, both of the cams are vertically adjustable ( up and down)

5. Front cam position is an important call basis your priorities, I also wanted to use the cam screen and reverse camera while driving in reverse and hence I opted to place it where it could see the screen and cam could also capture the front almost equally to left and right

6. The whole package comes with a wiring tool, make use of it

7. Very critical - The windshield stickers are very strong, once placed it's super difficult to remove it

All the best! let me know If could of any help
Arayan5614 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 05:36   #3769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arayan5614 View Post

- Wiring in a jugaadu way - Red and Yellow wire attached with respective fuse

Attachment 2264601
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This is a perfect example of how not to do electrical wiring. This is a fire hazard. Any undulation on road or a good impact will knock these out.

Please get some fuse taps and crimp them. They're much much cheaper than life.
batish is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 09:59   #3770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This is a perfect example of how not to do electrical wiring. This is a fire hazard. Any undulation on road or a good impact will knock these out.

Please get some fuse taps and crimp them. They're much much cheaper than life.
Thanks @batish for your feedback on the wiring, first thing I did after reading your comment is ordered fuse taps , I'm going to fix this soon
Arayan5614 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 10:54   #3771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
Kind of an odd request, I already own a yi dash cam. With it's usage experience, Do anyone know of a dash cam with

Please recommend any dashcam with minimal hands-on effort, heat tolerance and not needed to be hardwired.

Thanks
I think any DDPAI with GPS should be fine for you .

https://www.nexdigitron.com/products...SABEgLPYfD_BwE
Old 27th January 2022, 10:36   #3772
BHPian

While I have ordered Fuse Tap from Amazon already, even the 70mai official video shows an option to connect the hard wiring wire with the fuse without using the taps -
Arayan5614 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 15:25   #3773
BHPian

Now that I have my shiny new Volvo XC40 it is but natural to give this fellow a pair of extra eyes, I have researched on this matter for a while. I despise exposed wiring and want to avoid it at all costs. So, after much research, I stumbled upon this solution.

https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx-dash-cam-for-volvo

This sweet little fellow fits like the proverbial glove and leeches power off the conspicuous radar unit nestled behind the rear-view. The dashcam comes equipped with a splitter cable and you just plug it in three way, and you are done. The camera sits in the place of a plastic cap that opens on the IntelliSafe unit. Right up my alley, no fuss, no muss.

But, since I will be tinkering with the Radar unit, to be honest just stealing a tiny bit of power… will it kind of void the warranty? I can just unplug it once a year when the car goes for its service. I read up on the Volvo forums and those who installed it are quite happy and have hardly any side effects. So, I finally took the plunge, went to their website and ordered it. It’s a website based in China. They took the order and shipped it out. I received it after about four weeks after. Came in a neat packaging and all.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20220128-10.02.05-pm.jpegThe Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20220128-10.02.06-pm.jpegThe Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20220128-10.02.06-pm-1.jpegThe Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20220128-10.02.07-pm.jpeg

The unboxing.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20220128-10.02.07-pm-1.jpegThe Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20220128-10.02.08-pm.jpeg

The front and rear camera units with wiring.

The installation video link to YouTube looked pretty simple…hey easy, right?

Wrong! The confounded connector inside the Intelli Safe unit has clip and my XL size fingers could not reach it. You need to press and pull to unplug the connector…this was a battle. After many tries, it finally surrender to my persistent onslaught, after which it was a breeze to install.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20220128-10.02.09-pm-1.jpeg

There is very little room to stick your fingers in to unconnected the green connector, you can't simply pull it out, it's got a clip mechanism so it's press and then pull.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20220128-10.02.09-pm.jpeg
This is the OEM cap on the IntelliSafe unit, pretty easy to remove.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20220128-10.02.13-pm.jpegThe Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20220128-10.02.11-pm.jpegThe Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20220128-10.02.10-pm.jpeg

Once installed, it sits plush, like an OEM device, no gaps or exposed wiring, it's got a blue light indicating power on state.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20220128-10.02.08-pm-1.jpeg
The app is pretty simple and easy to install and use.

I did not dare to install the rear camera as it involves wiring going through the roof, might just take some professional help. So for now just living with the front camera. I would say decent clarity. The camera has an option to record sound as well, which means it records all the sound in the cabin and if you want privacy you can mute it via the app.

Video of the dashcam, it also recorded music blasting off my speakers
gismosin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 18:37   #3774
BHPian

Re: DC under 5K?

My G1W-H dash camera has gone kaput. Tried changing cables BUT its NOT powering on.

So now, am in the market for new dash camera.

Requirements are as follows:
1. Capacitor based camera
2. Decent picture quality which can identify the plates adequately
3. At the least 140 degree wide angle view
4. Prefer something with aperture less than 2.0
5. Budget is under 5K

Please advise!
Old 1st February 2022, 18:49   #3775
BHPian

Re: DC under 5K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
My G1W-H dash camera has gone kaput. Tried changing cables BUT its NOT powering on.

So now, am in the market for new dash camera.

Requirements are as follows:
1. Capacitor based camera
2. Decent picture quality which can identify the plates adequately
3. At the least 140 degree wide angle view
4. Prefer something with aperture less than 2.0
5. Budget is under 5K

Please advise!
Brother, I'm using the DDPAI mini for the past 3 yrs. No issues till date, I've not touched the dashcam even once since installation. I've travelled to places with temperatures ranging from 44'C in the summer of Eastern India to around 0'C of Darjeeling/Sikkim, lot of drives around coastal regions of Bengal & Odisha as well - no issues whatsoever. Dashcam connects to mobile or tablet app immediately through wifi. I'm using 64gb memory card in the dashcam, it is good enough for local drives but for week long vacation tours a memory card of 128gb would be best. It is priced below Rs.5k on Amazon.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 17:31   #3776
BHPian

Hi!

Looking for a dashcam as my current (or should I say the previous one) got lost during servicing. Don't ask me how.
Don't want to spend a fortune on the new one so I am limiting my choice between:

1. Dual Channel Dashcam
OR
2. Front only Dashcam but with GPS.

Which is better : having view from front and back or only front view with GPS info in it?
Does GPS info like speed / location etc. comes handy in legal encounters(in case of accident)?

Previously used DDPAI mini and was happy with it.
Now want to upgrade BUT within budget.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 18:04   #3777
BHPian

I want to ask people who have dashcam installed, is the dashcam like directly installed on the windscreen or there is some sort of cradle installed and then you sort of slide in the dashcam unit in the cradle?
Asking this because whenever car is given for servicing, one can just remove the dashcam from cradle and keep it at home so there is no chance of it getting "Lost".
Old 2nd February 2022, 18:35   #3778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
is the dashcam like directly installed on the windscreen or there is some sort of cradle installed and then you sort of slide in the dashcam unit in the cradle?
My dashcams have a suction holder into which the camera slides in and snap locks into place; but when I give the car for service I remove the whole suction assembly and not just the camera.

But there have been stories where people left the dashcam in the car itself when giving for service and then the camera recorded embarrassing mistreatment of the vehicle by the service centre staff.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 22:50   #3779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to ask people who have dashcam installed, is the dashcam like directly installed on the windscreen or there is some sort of cradle installed and then you sort of slide in the dashcam unit in the cradle?
I have Viofo A119 in front with a GPS unit, which is fixed on the windshield using 3M tape. The cable is connected to the GPS unit and I can easily unplug the camera.

My rear camera is 70mai. I can remove nut/bolt and cable to take out the camera.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 16:42   #3780
BHPian

I have sunfilm installed on my windscreen. Not sure if it will take weight of the dashcam. So have a few questions to get around it.

1. Has anyone used good Mirror dash cams? Any pros/cons ?
2. If regular dashcams, are there any mirror mounts to mount the dash cam if I don't want to mount it on the windscreen?
3. Are there dash cams where it can be fixed on the dashboard instead? Will it work right too or will vibrations due to potholes etc cause it to get dislodged?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks