Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2022, 11:09   #3811
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I ordered the CPL Filter for my DDPAI Mini dashcam from Amazon sold by Nextdigitron.
The results are dismal, see for your yourself -

The 1st picture below is without CPL Filter
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-a_20220215080443.jpg

The picture below is after attaching the CPL Filter to the dashcam
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-a_20220215080308.jpg

Both the pics are taken within seconds of each other.

And you might have guessed it right; I've placed replacement of this filter with the seller because amazon is not displaying the Refund option.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 13:35   #3812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
I ordered the CPL Filter for my DDPAI Mini dashcam from Amazon sold by Nextdigitron.
The results are dismal, see for your yourself -

Both the pics are taken within seconds of each other.

And you might have guessed it right; I've placed replacement of this filter with the seller because amazon is not displaying the Refund option.
You have to rotate the filter to appropriate degree relative to your dashcam lens to eliminate the reflection.

Please go though the installation steps from nexdigitron site - here.

PS. Just to clarify as I am sort of evangelizing nexdigitron, I am no way related to that business. Just a happy customer.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 15th February 2022 at 13:43.
dipdawiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 13:56   #3813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
You have to rotate the filter to appropriate degree relative to your dashcam lens to eliminate the reflection.

PS. Just to clarify as I am sort of evangelizing nexdigitron, I am no way related to that business. Just a happy customer.
Yes dear, I had rotated my dashcam to correct position as visible from pics in my previous post, wherein part of the front bonnet is visible, and i cannot exclude part of front bonnet from the video even if it reduces glare. The correct position of dashcam angle should record part of front bonnet and i believe I have set angle of my dashcam to the correct position AND if the cpl filter cannot reduce glare in such position/angle then that cpl filter is of no use.

In the CPL filter that i received from Nexdigitron via Amazon there is no marking on the filter regarding up/down or left/right, neither anything as such has been marked on dashcam regarding alignment of filter with dashcam Nor is there any literature given inside the packaging in which the cpl filter came.

Last edited by Sushil Pingua : 15th February 2022 at 14:16. Reason: Added second paragraph
Old 15th February 2022, 14:16   #3814
BHPian

Quote:
Yes dear, I had rotated my dashcam to correct position as visible from pics in my previous post, wherein part of the front bonnet is visible, and i cannot exclude part of front bonnet from the video even if it reduces glare. The correct position of dashcam angle should record part of front bonnet and i believe I have set angle of my dashcam to the correct position AND if the cpl filter cannot reduce glare in such position/angle then that cpl filter is of no use.
This is strange . If I am not wrong, from my 20 years photography experience, CPL always works to some great extent if not 100%.

However, when I said rotate the filter, I did not mean rotate the lens on its movable axis but rotate the filter on lens' center axis. So you keep your dashcam lens point to wherever is suitable for you showing the bonnet. Now without moving the lens, rotate the filter. In the picture, if red ring is the filter rotate in either direction shown by arrow, till reflection is gone.

Name:  Inkeddashcamcpl_LI.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  837.3 KB

Sorry for this long explanation, please take no offence, just confirming.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 15th February 2022 at 14:20.
dipdawiz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:23   #3815
BHPian

Quote:
This is strange . If I am not wrong, from my 20 years photography experience, CPL always works to some great extent if not 100%.

However, when I said rotate the filter, I did not mean rotate the lens on its movable axis but rotate the filter on lens' center axis. So you keep your dashcam lens point to wherever is suitable for you showing the bonnet. Now without moving the lens, rotate the filter. In the pic, if red ring is the filter rotate in either direction shown by arrow, till reflection is gone.

Attachment 2272871

Sure Brother, I'll give your advise practical implementation. BUT there is a rubber ring inside the cpl filter which attaches on the protruding part of dashcam's camera and acts like anti-skid/anti-movement washer between the filter and the dashcam. This rubber ring prevents further movement of the filter.
Anyway thanks for the pictures, I'll try not to break anything.
Old 16th February 2022, 08:40   #3816
BHPian

Quote:

However, when I said rotate the filter, I did not mean rotate the lens on its movable axis but rotate the filter on lens' center axis. So you keep your dashcam lens point to wherever is suitable for you showing the bonnet. Now without moving the lens, rotate the filter. In the picture, if red ring is the filter rotate in either direction shown by arrow, till reflection is gone.

Attachment 2272871

Thanks a ton brother Dipayan,
As per your instructions I adjusted the filter and it worked

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-a_20220216080909.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-a_20220216082550.jpg

It was tough rotating the filter on its axis due to the rubber ring inside the filter, but managed without breaking anything

Last edited by Sushil Pingua : 16th February 2022 at 08:40. Reason: Proofread
Sushil Pingua is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 11:04   #3817
BHPian

Quote:

It was tough rotating the filter on its axis due to the rubber ring inside the filter, but managed without breaking anything
Yes, the trick with this type of CPL attachment is, not to push fully in place. But just barely attach half the way, then rotate (still there would be some friction, but less); once in correct position and reflection is minimum, push in fully to attach.
dipdawiz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 12:29   #3818
BHPian

I just picked up a pre owned X1 and wanted to use my existing dashcam (Aukey) from my previous car.
As the power sockets are located bit far from the dashboard and there are many controls in between, I'm wondering what would be the optimal position for it.

Has anyone fixed dashcam (hardwired/soft) in BMW X1?

Thanks!
Old 22nd February 2022, 07:51   #3819
BHPian

Quote:

Hi, dipdawiz, I too have recently bought a dashcam (DDPAI Z40) from Nexdigitron and the transaction went off quite smoothly.

But i missed buying the CPL filter back then and it was only after reading up on the benefits of it here that i wanted to go in for it.

There are no CPL filters available for DDPAI Z40 on Amazon or even Nexdigitron. When i wrote to them to check availability, they promptly wrote back saying

"The CPL for Z40 is a highly custom work and it has to be aligned and fixed by us at our facilities. It's fixed using adhesive and you cannot remove it whenever you want to. The cost including pickup of dashcam from your place and delivery after CPL fixation is Rs 1250. Let us know if you still need it.".

I still haven't installed the dashcam so could still send it back. But do we really need them to install it? For other models, as you all must have done, it can be just bought from their store and done at our end or by a mechanic, right?

Any thoughts on this? If anyone else here has had to do CPL filter for the DDPAI Z40, please consider helping out here with your valuable inputs. Thanks!
Old 22nd February 2022, 08:32   #3820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post
I still haven't installed the dashcam so could still send it back. But do we really need them to install it? For other models, as you all must have done, it can be just bought from their store and done at our end or by a mechanic, right?

Any thoughts on this? If anyone else here has had to do CPL filter for the DDPAI Z40, please consider helping out here with your valuable inputs. Thanks!
For the price you have paid for the Z40 i would suggest you to have it replaced and take home the 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S Dual Cam for a few thousand rupees more. CPL filter is available for the 70mai model and it is overall far more superior in video quality as compared to the Z40.

Last edited by Sushil Pingua : 22nd February 2022 at 08:33. Reason: Proofread
Old 22nd February 2022, 09:46   #3821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post

"The CPL for Z40 is a highly custom work and it has to be aligned and fixed by us at our facilities. It's fixed using adhesive and you cannot remove it whenever you want to. The cost including pickup of dashcam from your place and delivery after CPL fixation is Rs 1250. Let us know if you still need it.".
If the price seems fine for you and can wait for the time it takes to ship and getting back, go ahead. The reason this specific dashcam need custom installation I guess is due to the shape of the lens is square. One thing to mind that cpl filter cannot be removed or adjusted by you at all.

Quote:
For the price you have paid for the Z40 i would suggest you to have it replaced and take home the 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S Dual Cam for a few thousand rupees more. CPL filter is available for the 70mai model and it is overall far more superior in video quality as compared to the Z40.
@rpm1706 To reduce dependency on shipping and fitting a fixed cpl, this is a viable alternative. Just for your information 70mai Pro plus+ available as single cam also in case you do not want dual cam.
dipdawiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 11:04   #3822
BHPian

When it comes to CPL filter on 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S, can we remove the CPL filter as needed? I don't see why one would need to remove it though.
Asking since in earlier posts, I see mention of DDPAI Z40's CPL which requires installation from the vendor itself.

Also for people using dual channel dashcam, you have fitted the CPL filter only on the main front facing dashcam right? There is no need for the rear camera I guess.
Old 22nd February 2022, 12:33   #3823
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Sushil. The reason i decided to go for the Z40 was i read somewhere that it uses supercapacitor instead of lithium batteries. Would you say that it is a feature worth considering. Otherwise, the 70mai Pro Plus+ was my initial choice.

@dipdawiz, thanks for clarifying on the CPL fitment and suggesting the front lens option only for the 70mai pro+.

Seeing as you are both comfortable with the general selection, fitment and usage of dashcams, please help out with a couple of other doubts on this.

1. One is the point on supercapacitor vs lithium batteries as asked above. Please share your thoughts on this as that will help me decide between the two.

2. The other point is on whether to go for hardwiring or not. I would like to avoid any warranty void issues. So, what's the workaround (if any) you have done on this? Is there a case for buying a dashcam battery pack? Or should we just use an alternative like connecting it to the cigarette lighter port etc.?

Look forward to some direction here. Thanks!
RPM1706 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 14:45   #3824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivam View Post
...As the power sockets are located bit far from the dashboard and there are many controls in between, I'm wondering what would be the optimal position for it...
I faced the same issue with my S-Cross. In my car, the closest USB port on the dashboard is for Android Auto (and therefore cannot be used), and the 12V power socket is in the central utility console.

The standard USB A to USB Micro/Mini/C cable is only 3.5m and is not enough for cars like ours to neatly lay and hide the cabling. The solution is to use a USB extension cable and connect it to the next available USB port or 12V power socket.

The alternative is to use an OBD2 Male to USB Micro/Mini/C cable with a switch, but you have to remember to turn it off (to prevent draining your car battery) and turn it on (to start the dashcam).
UPS_Guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 14:51   #3825
BHPian

Have the prices of the 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S Dual Channel Car Dash Cam increased recently? I see on amazon it is being sold for 12K and I am sure I have seen the same for 10.5K just a week or two back.
Even on nexdigitron, it is 11K now and I think I saw for 10K or below there.

Most Viewed