Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2022, 12:49   #3946
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Please suggest a full HD video recording capable mobile phone to be used as a second dashcam. The phone will always be mounted on the windshield and never to be used for call/navigation/whatsapp etc; so less expensive phone is preferred. I already have a 70mai installed, but it is wrongly mounted such that the installation area is not reachable by the wipers. So in the monsoon months, nothing is actually captured except water droplets on the glass. The dashcam is so strongly attached that all my attempts to dismantle it have been fruitless with a very real possibility of windshield break if I apply more force
Old 24th April 2022, 20:29   #3947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post

I already have a 70mai installed, but it is wrongly mounted such that the installation area is not reachable by the wipers. So in the monsoon months, nothing is actually captured except water droplets on the glass. The dashcam is so strongly attached that all my attempts to dismantle it have been fruitless with a very real possibility of windshield break if I apply more force
Not sure you tried it, but here it is

I guess it is stuck with double sided tape. Use Iso-Propyl Alcohol (IPA) to loosen the double sided tape. Use a dropper or pour the IPA slowly from top of the tape, use a plastic prying tool (you can use a credit card) to slowly pry in (no need to use much force) while adding little IPA to loosen the glue.

Once removed, order electrostatic sticker from nexdigitron to install the dashcam on appropriate location.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th April 2022 at 11:51. Reason: As requested
Old 26th April 2022, 23:26   #3948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Excellent choice.
Thanks !!

Quote:
My personal favorite feature is the "Caution" button which will lock the current video from being overwritten. So you can capture all those squids doing their shenanigans, tailgaters being aggressive etc. even if the G-sensors don't pick it up!
This button is available on all Viofo dashcams. My current one (A119S) also has this. Yes, its really useful. I have been able to capture many funny & serious situations.

Quote:
I did the install myself on my XUV300, so if you have any question please feel free to DM.
Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Please do update this thread after using it in 4K. Read a lot about its overheating issues. Since we're in a tropical country, chances of overheating are much higher here.
I am in NCR and using Viofo A119S for last 4 years, never had any issues due to overheating. From April to August, if vehicle is going to be parked in open for long, I do make sure to keep dashcam in glove box or under seat. It's just for extra caution.

How A129 hardware handles the heat has to be seen. It's not installed yet, I am stuck with some other priorities.

Quote:
$263? Mind sharing your location? If its India, please do share the link from where you bought. It retails for 24K without any add ons. So after memory card and CPL, it'd be almost 29K.
A friend was traveling back from US, he bought from Amazon US.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 26th April 2022 at 23:40.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 08:14   #3949
BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest a full HD video recording capable mobile phone to be used as a second dashcam. The phone will always be mounted on the windshield and never to be used for call/navigation/whatsapp etc; so less expensive phone is preferred. I already have a 70mai installed, but it is wrongly mounted such that the installation area is not reachable by the wipers. So in the monsoon months, nothing is actually captured except water droplets on the glass. The dashcam is so strongly attached that all my attempts to dismantle it have been fruitless with a very real possibility of windshield break if I apply more force
I was also looking for ways to remove the double sided tape when i switched cars. The below video did helped a lot though the tape was damaged and had to replaced by a 3m one. I used 4-5 strands of normal thread bundled together to make it strong. This way you dont risk breaking the windshield

Tape that I used later to fix the mount again.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot_2022042708124076_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg  

D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 10:19   #3950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Ro@dSt@r View Post
I was also looking for ways to remove the double sided tape when i switched cars. The below video did helped a lot though the tape was damaged and had to replaced by a 3m one. I used 4-5 strands of normal thread bundled together to make it strong. This way you dont risk breaking the windshield
https://Youtu.be/TkvI8Zla6Us

Tape that I used later to fix the mount again.
Thank you. Please provide the product link to the 3M tape if you have purchased online.
Old 27th April 2022, 10:25   #3951
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Please provide the product link to the 3M tape if you have purchased online.
Nope I picked it up from a local store. You can try any stationary shop or may be a 3m store if they keep these stuff.
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 11:23   #3952

Qubo has just launched their Dashboard Camera.
Looks promising. I have been using their indoor cameras and sensors for over an year and experience has been good.

Thinking of replacing my 70mai dashcam with this one.

https://www.quboworld.com/qubo-dashcam-pro.html

One plus point in this case is, the product comes from a trusted brand as Hero, and is made in India (as claimed by them)
akkudreamz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 14:29   #3953

Garmin 55W dashcam

I drive a fair bit and dash cams have helped me avoid getting caught in road rage incidents a couple of times. I just point out the camera and suddenly the other guy isn’t interested in an argument anymore. Well worth the spend.

I’ve been using a Garmin 55W dashcam in my Polo for over 2 years now. I have the hard wired parking surveillance kit installed also.

I got the camera on Amazon US for about $149 (on sale) and I recall it was listed on the India site for nearly 2x that price. Had it shipped to me while I was traveling and brought it back with me.

Pros:
- Picture quality is pretty good, whether day or night. Limited light scatter IMO and if you have enough frames, you can pull a number plate off a car without much difficulty. Picture stability is good also and the video doesn’t shake around even on bad roads
- Should you so desire, the sound quality is adequate too (you can hear the song playing on the radio as well as the truck tyre blowing out)
- The unit is pretty small (sub 3 inches) so it doesn’t take up much space on the windshield. Tuck it behind your IRVM on the far side and it’s pretty much invisible. A big + when using it in a small car like mine is, where windscreen real estate is at a premium with fastag, parking stickers, toll passes et al.
- Time lapse is a nice touch. Makes a humdrum commute look ‘sexy’
- You can capture a still picture at the press of a button - could be useful sometimes though I’ve never used it myself.
- Some driver aids like a “traffic is moving” warning that alerts you if you’re distracted when the light goes green
- Parking surveillance works as advertised.
- Didn’t face a problem with the mounting. It has a stuck mounting plate (size of a 5 rupee coin) on the glass and a magnetic attachment to the camera. Expected some detachments but had none. The mount has a ball joint so the focus direction can be adjusted.
- Handles heat well - my office lot is uncovered, Mumbai summers hit high thirties regularly and in-car temp is much higher.
- Built in wifi to transfer media to your phone
- Records your trip and saves as 3 minute clips

Cons:
- The wifi transfer is slow to the point of being pointless. It’s easier to just pull the card or the entire camera and use your computer.
- The Garmin VIRB app that goes with the camera is a relic. You can’t move it to background while media is downloading and it sometimes take a minute to show the videos in the camera.
- It seems to write the videos to the card once you stop your trip, because it always showed me the most recent videos as “unsaved” whenever I accessed it.

I’ve found that an MMC format once every few months keeps things going without a hitch.

All in all, happy with it. If I used it for vlogging, I might complain about the difficult in downloading. As it is, I use that feature maybe once in a few months.

Have a 70MAI A800s with rear camera and parking surveillance in my Fortuner that’s been running nearly a year. Will separately share my feedback on that.

Safe travels!
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-362420ed2bc54ced8290f0ce53217cf3.jpeg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-b1bbcf71d304456c8a88248ee1fbfe52.jpeg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-53f3974218ae4da6bffd59803f3eff4d.jpeg  

4wheeldrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 02:14   #3954
BHPian

Any reviews or feedbacks on the newly launched kent cam eye 2 dashcam ??

Looking for a connected dashcam with 4g/LTE support with parking surveillance mode primarily.

Any other options available??
Old 10th May 2022, 12:26   #3955
BHPian

Anyone facing issue connecting to DDPAI Mola N3? Especially on IOS? Trying to connect to the dashcam on wireless and fed up. The DDPAI app freezes on me and when it works, it is again stuck at connecting camera.
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 12:30   #3956

I have recently purchased the 70mai a500s pro plus+ dual channel dash cam. This has inbuilt GPS. I see that the GPS module takes a long time (at least 2 min) to get a fix while my mobile has no problem getting a fix immediately. If the weather is cloudy, it does not get a fix at all (even after 5 min). I believe that cloud cover should not interfere with GPS signals but that is what I observed today.

My question is if this poor GPS functionality a "feature" of the 70mai dash cam, or I may have got an unit with defective GPS module?

I have a replacement window this week on Amazon but will not bother with a replacement and re-installation if this is expected GPS functionality in 70mai units
fifthgear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 13:40   #3957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Anyone facing issue connecting to DDPAI Mola N3? Especially on IOS? Trying to connect to the dashcam on wireless and fed up. The DDPAI app freezes on me and when it works, it is again stuck at connecting camera.
I have not faced any issues using the DDPAI app with the Mola N3 on my Samsung. It works quite well and a 1 min. video takes about a min or so to download. Try it out with an android if possible to see if the same issue persists.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 11th May 2022 at 13:41.
Old 11th May 2022, 15:42   #3958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Got Thinkware U1000-2 channel, 4K dash cam from Singapore dealer through ebay.com. When Amazon US not delivering everything to India and my US tours not coming up soon, was looking for alternatives and after lot of search narrowed down on this dealer.

Attachment 2108852

Attachment 2108853

Will install them in my Ford Endeavour. Need to take out Blackvue DR750S-2CH first, which was already doing a great job. It was more of a impulse buying. Will be listing Blackvue for sale on our classifieds section soon.

Those who are looking for 70mai A800 please do not hesitate and buy from ebay.com and look for this Singapore dealer- Carnected. Good discount and free DHL express delivery but you need to pay around 43% custom +GST. I ordered on 12th Jan and got delivered today, faster than Amazon prime. Packaging is good but still need to run it.
Hey just got the same and the Q800 Pros for my other cars. Did you hardwire your dash cam or running through a charger?
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 21:59   #3959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
Hey just got the same and the Q800 Pros for my other cars. Did you hardwire your dash cam or running through a charger?

Hardwired it.
Surprisingly my package does not have charger cable and it was not listed either. Anyway, hardwiring can only do proper justice to such dashcams. If not comfortable in DIY, seek installation at any good accessories shop.
Connecting to mobile is a bit tricky but easy ones you understand. Refer youtube video as manual is very bad and basic.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 22:31   #3960
BHPian

Hi,
I own an altroz XZ D. I have been postponing buying a dash cam so far, I am thinking of getting one now. Please suggest a good one with good quality video recording. My budget is 6-7k Max(I am not sure if this is high or low). I am a noob when it comes to dash cams. I am planning to get it only on the front side. I would like to get the cabin audio recorded too. What would be the average recording duration?

An accessory shop guy recommended Phillips, calling it very reliable, but he said it wouldn't capture audio. Is Phillips good? Never heard Philips making dashcams.

PS : I do not want to void my extended warranty which has 3 more years. I will most probably get it done from an accessory shop.

TIA

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks