Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2022, 23:45   #3871
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Does the 256 gb card work on 70mai pro plus? Their website description recommendeds only upto 128gb. Also, the link to the Samsung card you shared is not working for me. Can you please share again?
You are right, officially its not supported and in future they may stop supporting by capping the limit in firmwire. But at this moment I am using it with a 256Gb sdcard and it is working. I read about it in 70mai's support forum, couple of the members confirmed it works. So I took the bet.

What I mean is, there is a chance it may not work and 70mai or nexdigitron would not help with the issue. My thinking was to try, if not worked use the sd card elsewhere and get a 128gb. So give it a thought; if you have other option to use that 256gb card, buy it, it should work. By chance it does not work, you have to get a 128gb card.

Amazon listing changes hence link is not working. Search "Samsung EVO Plus 256GB sd card" in amazon. Price varies from 2100~2500. Main issue with sd card is its not refundable; only replacement if it does not work at all.

Image for reference
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot_20220310232525_amazon.jpg
dipdawiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 16:14   #3872
Senior - BHPian

Background : I am already having Viofo A119S V2 GPS (1080p 60fps) as front dashcam for last four years. Really happy with its performance. Now want to add rear cam as well. I am split between two choices and seek your suggestions :

First Option : Buy independent second A119 V2 GPS (1440p 30fps) cam and install it at front and move the current A119S to rear. Sync the time between both and ready to go.
Cost: A119 V2 GPS + CPL + 128GB SD Card + USB extension cable = $80 + $15 + $50 + $17= $162 (approx. INR 12,960)

Second Option : Buy dual channel A129 Pro Duo Ultra GPS (4k 30fps + 1080p 60fps, better image sensor, dual band Wi-Fi) and keep the current one as spare (no immediate use in sight).
Cost: A129 Pro Duo Ultra GPS + CPL x 2 = $250 + $30 = $280 (approx. INR 22,400)

Confusion in my mind :
1. 4k video is not my first priority; going to use 1080p or 1440p max
2. Wi-Fi connectivity is not priority; already have mobile compatible card reader for immediate video transfer in case of need
3. Better image sensor is preferred
4. existing dashcam is already aged 4 years, if it fails in near-future, I am back to same conundrum

Last edited by AutoNoob : 14th March 2022 at 16:17.
Old 15th March 2022, 00:02   #3873
Senior - BHPian

I've been using the Blueskysea B1W dashcam for about 3.5years now and have been satisfied. Have been looking for a CPL filter but it's been out of stock and doesn't look like it will come back in stock. Any leads will be appreciated!

Needed a camera for wife's Alto K10 and was initially looking at the DDPAI mini but was not too convinced with the video quality, so picked up the Mola N3 instead @~6k on Amazon after a 10% Citibank discount.

Made sure I got the CPL filter along with the Mola N3 and have now transferred the Bkueskysea to the Alto and put the DDPAI in the Ecosport since the reflections are quite bad with the much larger dash board.

Quite impressed with the Mola N3 output. Noticed a strange thing - the file size for all the 3 resolutions stands at 120mb / min. Is this normal? Shouldn't a higher resolution result in a larger file size?

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 15th March 2022 at 00:03.
Old 15th March 2022, 07:24   #3874
BHPian

Purchased this:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Polariser film to install on both cameras. The idea is to eliminate reflections and glare, at the cost of a slight drop in overall light collected.
Old 15th March 2022, 09:09   #3875
SGK
BHPian

All,

Probably a noob question, I wanted to fix dashcam in my Crysta 2.8Z and wanted to check whether it is ok to take wire via A pillar and roof as we have airbags. If not, what are other alternatives to fix the dashcam.

Also, if anyone can provide some good installers around HSR in Bangalore would be great help to fix my dashcam.
Old 15th March 2022, 09:22   #3876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Quite impressed with the Mola N3 output. Noticed a strange thing - the file size for all the 3 resolutions stands at 120mb / min. Is this normal? Shouldn't a higher resolution result in a larger file size?
File Size depends on the bitrate of the video codec. In case the bitrate is low, even high resolution looks pixelated. So a higher resolution file with a bitrate of say 1200 kb/s will have the same size as a lower resolution file with the same bitrate.
Old 15th March 2022, 12:12   #3877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGK View Post
All,

Also, if anyone can provide some good installers around HSR in Bangalore would be great help to fix my dashcam.

Sachin's Auto Shop in Koramangala is a good place, had got good service there before.
dipdawiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 14:39   #3878

Quote:
I am also considering this model. Where did you get it installed from? Did you go for hard wiring or regular? How is your experience with the video quality and viewing /transfer of data? Which SD card did you go for?
Hi Aviator_guy:
Its is really good cam and I have not had any issues. Will try to answer your questions one by one...

I did the installation through Sachin's Auto Shop Koramangala
I did hardwiring and had connected the cabling to the ignition wiring itself - so the camera starts when I start the car and stops a few minutes after I stop the ignition...

They did clean wiring and had fit both the front and back cameras...

I have attached some photos and uploaded some videos in youtube for the front camera - one bright lighted evening time and other night time - (the night time video also will have the headlight testing...
Evening @ 5:30 PM, Brigade Road -
After dark around 6:30 PM, near my house -

As for SD Card, I have bought Sandisk Extreme 128 GB - as per suggestion from Sebring in the same thread earlier #post5178706 (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)

I have uploaded some photos of the wiring also!!
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20211021_210514.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20211021_210704.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20211022_121349.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20211022_132732.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20211022_133010.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20211022_133528.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20211022_133626.jpg  

baala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 15:57   #3879

I am looking for a front and rear dash cam for Ignis that does not have a rear parking camera or a display unit/music system
(1) Can a rear dash cam do double duty as a rear parking camera also? This would mean that the dash cam package has some kind of display unit also which is visible to the driver during parking. Which would be a good one to get?
(2) There seem to be some dash cams which clip on to the irvm. Are they a good choice or are there any safety issues with such clip ons?
fifthgear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 08:46   #3880
BHPian

I am planning to buy '70mai Pro Plus+ A500S' from Amazon, however not confident of installing it by myself.

Does anyone know a technician in Pune who can do the installation? Or these dash-cams are available in accessories shop where I can buy and get the installation done at same place?

I don't want to walk into an accessory shop and end up buying a cam which the shop owner pushes on me.

Thanks.
Hrishi_111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 18:20   #3881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrishi_111 View Post
I am planning to buy '70mai Pro Plus+ A500S' from Amazon, however not confident of installing it by myself.

I don't want to walk into an accessory shop and end up buying a cam which the shop owner pushes on me.

Thanks.
Its a great choice of camera!!

It is safer to buy it in Amazon and take it across to one of the good accessory shop to fit it. Else it will always be the scenario what you have mentioned above and they will be so convincing in what they are pushing, it will eventually confuse us...

Apologies for being able to point to a shop in Pune, though!!
baala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 20:03   #3882
Senior - BHPian

After admiring the utility of a dashcam and contemplating an installation all these years, finally got around to installing a DDPAI Mini5

This post is about some highlights and primarily from an installation perspective,

Well designed stealth form factor
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pxl_20220316_022640553.jpg

USB C connection (which tends to be a sign of being contemporary)
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pxl_20220316_022248652.jpg

64GB eMMC Flash memory, instead of external memory card slot.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pxl_20220316_022813163.jpg

Well designed holder which has a swivel adjustment for setting the angle of view.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pxl_20220316_023107091.jpg

Magnetic clasp of the camera in the holder, easy to fit as well as remove
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pxl_20220316_022741446.jpg

Fitment is easy thanks to the two electrostatic stickers provided as well the a spare 3M double sided sticker (I did destroy one of each due to a botched positioning)
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pxl_20220316_023637164.jpg

My Octavia has a thoughtful USB C slot on the IRVM console but lazily positioned on the right from an LHD configuration. However I find that the sweet spot on the windscreen has been taken up by the fastag (slightly offset to the left tucked out of sight from driver seat), so I was left with only one slot bang in the middle below the IVRM
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pxl_20220317_132009648.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pxl_20220317_123045643.jpg

No tucking wires along the headliner, but then the Octavia also does not have a 12V socket (besides in the boot!)
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pxl_20220317_123014292.jpg

The standard cable being USB C - USB A (keeping car chargers in mind), I have used my Pixel USB A to C adaptor (which stands out like a sore thumb). Need to have a right angled USB C cable of the right length for better routing
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pxl_20220317_122959111.jpg

Lastly, the loud robotic start up message 'DingDing Pai' will shock the living daylights out of you, but don't worry it can be deactivated from the app after the camera position has been set.

I will update the camera performance over variety of conditions in another post
GeeTee TSI is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 13:25   #3883
BHPian

Folks, has anyone tried Hyundai Mobis dashcam (original/OEM accessory at Hyundai dealership) Its 12k per piece. Please share your feedback. Thanx.
Old 20th March 2022, 00:16   #3884
Senior - BHPian

So finally I ordered and installed the 70mai Pro plus+ front cam. Thanks to the feedback shared by fellow BHPians here and special thanks to Darshan (D'Ro@dSt@r) and Sushil Pingua

Here are some quick observations
1. The video quality is amazing both in bright daylight and night low light.

2. App is also working well. It is handy to be able to chose video durations among 1,2 and 3 minutes. So far, found 2 minute length to be sweet spot for file size, continuous duration to capture and download time. Need to explore more on this.

3. Able to view videos/images etc in the app quickly after phone is connected to cam wifi and also download on local folder (speed is about 1-2 minutes for a 2 minutes video).

3.Would have like a direct button to turn on the cam wifi rather than 3 step process every time car is switched on and I want to connect to wifi.

4. Owing to the beige dashboard (some parts) on my Creta, there is lot of glare / reflection. Looks like CPL filter has to be installed soon and hope it solves the problem.

5. Creta has a large blackened portion behind the IVRM due to which I had to install it a lower position than I'd have liked. But still it is not in the line of sight of driver.

6. I could feel that the cam is getting heated during sunny day. However as many fellow folks have opined, it may not be an issue so keeping my fingers crossed.

7. Compared to previous version (pro plus), voice command has been removed.

8. Noticed that some videos are missing GPS and speed values. Has anyone else faced this issue? Is it common issue or should I raise this with customer care?

Overall I like the built quality, sleek design and excellent video quality. Hope it is reliable in long ferm

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 20th March 2022 at 00:22.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 08:48   #3885
BHPian

Quote:
So finally I ordered and installed the 70mai Pro plus+ front cam. Thanks to the feedback shared by fellow BHPians here and special thanks to Darshan (D'Ro@dSt@r) and Sushil Pingua

4. Owing to the beige dashboard (some parts) on my Creta, there is lot of glare / reflection. Looks like CPL filter has to be installed soon and hope it solves the problem.
Glad that I was of some help to you to finally make the decision
You should definitely invest in the cpl filter for the front cam atleast as it improves the footage quality by reducing the glare a lot. I ordered one for myself and the initial impression was just WOW. Attaching a before and after pic for reference

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-ph20220312114505000005.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-ph20220312115742000008.jpg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 16th September 2023 at 20:56. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks