Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2023, 21:03   #4621
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I am torn between Dual channel dash cam DDPAI MOLA N3 Pro and 70 mai A500S . Is A500S worth the extra 3K over Mola N3. I do not need ADAS and both seems to have similar resolution. All reviews are undecided.
Keep in mind that 70MAI dashcams are all with Li-ion battery on board while DDPAI Mola N3 has Supercapacitor. Otherwise they both seem to be similar on paper.

So I would suggest go for Mola N3 Pro because it has supercapacitor.
Old 16th July 2023, 21:35   #4622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
Keep in mind that 70MAI dashcams are all with Li-ion battery on board while DDPAI Mola N3 has Supercapacitor. Otherwise they both seem to be similar on paper.

So I would suggest go for Mola N3 Pro because it has supercapacitor.
Why wasn't it considered advisable? I know that Li-Ion batteries used to be avoided due to the risk of explosions, but I have noticed that many people are using them, even on this forums, and I haven't come across any reports of explosions online. Are there any other concerns besides the fear of fire? To avoid 70MAI?
Old 16th July 2023, 21:52   #4623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
Are there any other concerns besides the fear of fire? To avoid 70MAI?
I've not used 70MAI or DDPAI, so no first hand experience. From what I've seen online in reviews etc., it seems DDPAI has somewhat better quality than 70MAI. But my suggestion was based mainly on supercapacitor.

If someone is looking at sub 5k dashcams then its understandable that supercapacitor ones wouldn't be in range. But at 10k & above, supercapacitors are very much available and it does not make any sense to go with a Li-Ion battery model.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th July 2023 at 00:25. Reason: Editing out confrontational bits. Civility please. Thank you.
Old 16th July 2023, 22:10   #4624
BHPian

Quote:
... If someone is looking at sub 5k dashcams then its understandable that supercapacitor ones wouldn't be in range. But at 10k & above, supercapacitors are very much available and it does not make any sense to go with a Li-Ion battery model.
Right! Supercapacitors can indeed be considered as a viable alternative solution, especially within a specific budget.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th July 2023 at 00:25. Reason: Editing out confrontational bits. Civility please. Thank you.
Old 16th July 2023, 22:30   #4625
BHPian

First-time using the multiple quote option and that too on mobile. I hope this comes out good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Experts,

I am torn between Dual channel dash cam DDPAI MOLA N3 Pro and 70 mai A500S . Is A500S worth the extra 3K over Mola N3. I do not need ADAS and both seems to have similar resolution. All reviews are undecided.

Any other suggestions for dual channel dash cams under 10 K.
After researching extensively, I settled for DDpai Mola N3 Pro, installed it DiY last week and I am satisfied with the performance. This also fitted nicely within my budget of 10 K. I considered A500s, But I wanted a dashcam without Li ion batteries in them, hence choose the super capacitor one. Do get a CPL filter as well. You can take advantage of the prime day sales and CC offers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
I tried scrolling a few pages, but didn’t see any replies to this one.

By any chance, did you go ahead with this? If so, what has been your experience with installing two single channel dashcams, one in front and one at the rear?

I’m also considering arrangement this but for different reasons. I am well aware that there are many dual dashcams available. But from that I can see in the reviews of these, the rear camera’s quality is significantly lower than the front camera. This means lack of detail and unreadable number plates from the rear camera in many situations, especially at night.

So I was thinking why not buy two good single channel dashcams and use one in front and one in the rear. I don’t mind getting two memory cards and having two devices on the app. But was wondering the exact same thing you were; Are there any other disadvantages of this that I’m not aware of.
I thought about this approach too, but decided against it for the following reasons.

Cost to benefit ratio was better in having a dual channel. We can have one topmodel with better functions.
Hardwiring both the cams will be difficult if chosen seperately, if you choose the 12 volt socket, you will have to run cables, occupying 2 USB slots.
If we have to get footage of a particular incident, we need to navigate twice instead of once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I have a rear dashcam on my Nexon 2017 model and have no such issues. Plz ensure the plastic on the lens is off as it catches the light. a cp lens filter is provided additionally by NEXDIGITRON, try getting that
Thank you for your feedback, There is no plastic on the lens. I did not know we get CPL filters for rear dash, I will check. I hope your 2017 model also has a brake light at the top ( Apologize for the Noob question in advance)

Quote:
Why wasn't it considered advisable? I know that Li-Ion batteries used to be avoided due to the risk of explosions, but I have noticed that many people are using them, even on this forums, and I haven't come across any reports of explosions online. Are there any other concerns besides the fear of fire? To avoid 70MAI?
This is my opinion. Percentage of phone batteries exploding is also negligible, still it happens. Why take the risk of using Li ion batteries especially in a tropical country like India where we need to park under hot sun at times. One more point to consider is that batteries always degrades, super capacitor does not, thus having more longevity. Based on the above thoughts and not wanting to worry about the risk of a possible explosion, I made my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
BHPians - Need a little help in choosing a dual channel dashcam.

Shortlisted the following

- 70MAI A500S PRO PLUS+ DUAL CHANNEL DASHCAM
- DDPAI Z40 GPS DUAL CHANNEL DASHCAM
- DDPAI MOLA N3 PRO DUAL CHANNEL DASHCAM WITH GPS (TYPE-C)

DDpai Z40 can be fitted with a non removable CPL filter by Nextdigitron while ordering. It just cannot be retrofitted over the lens by ourselves like we do for other models.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th July 2023 at 00:33. Reason: Broken quote tags
Bala02 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 22:52   #4626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroy92 View Post
Did anyone try these??
I have been using the Mola N3 in my Endeavour for the past couple of years with a 128gb card and it has been very reliable. The video quality is good and details are crisp and you can clearly read number plates at night. I have the hardware kit which I bought along with the cam from Nexdigitron. Day time videos are excellent, but I am sure the more expensive cams will give you better night videos.

It's a fit and forget thing. The only annoying bit is the 'Welcome Ding ding Pi' which the Chinese woman greets you with every time you turn the ignition ON. I turned it off for a few days. But I realised, since the cam is hiding behind the IRVM, outside your normal line of sight, the greeting is a reminder that the cam is indeed working, and you are good to go and I have turned it back on. I do get curious, and mostly funny, comments from passengers though.

I would suggest a 128 gb card since it gets owerwritten a lot lesser than smaller capacity cards.

The main reason I went for it is the supercapacitor. I only look for capacitor dashcams. If there is one in a million chance that a Li ion battery could catch fire in extreme heat, I wouldn't want to take that risk with my car, and would always be worried if I had to park outside during peak summer. For peace of mind, and since you have the option to avoid that risk without compromising on quality, why not?
Old 17th July 2023, 00:01   #4627
BHPian

Quote:
I just wanted to know if the fear of fire and explosions is the sole reason people avoid Li-Ion batteries dashcam or if there are other concerns as well. It seems like the explosion issue is the primary concern.
Fire hazard is the main concern.

Then batteries degrade over time. After 3-4 years the onboard battery in a dashcam would also degrade where it won't charge up anymore. I don't think those batteries can be changed (I'm not 100% sure about it). In that case one will have to set the date-time in the dashcam every time they start the car unless they have the thing hardwired. On the other hand supercapacitors last much longer.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th July 2023 at 00:27. Reason: Removing off-topic bits. Thanks.
amitgupta is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th July 2023, 11:56   #4628
BHPian

Quote:

By any chance, did you go ahead with this? If so, what has been your experience with installing two single channel dashcams, one in front and one at the rear?

Are there any other disadvantages of this that I’m not aware of.
I'm yet to go ahead with this, purely due to lack of time. But I intend to, pretty soon. Just make sure you have adequate power sources for two dashcams.
Mlanuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 12:08   #4629

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Is there any way to buy Viofo dashcam other than Viofo.in. Comparing prices to that of viofo.com, the difference is huge. Any way to source them for not so exorbitant prices?
Even I am looking for a way to buy Viofo A139Pro from Viofo.com
Old 17th July 2023, 13:36   #4630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajala View Post
There's none AFAIK. I had tried looking up but even if it was cheaper on viofo.com, custom and other landing duties made up for the discount.
Old 17th July 2023, 14:36   #4631
BHPian

I am in a constant dilemma on the dashcam. It's just hard to find something which clicks.

Now there is another twist - Have someone coming from Canada later this month. Would it make sense to ask them to get one? Do these companies provide international warranty?

Prices are definitely lower in Canada for the same models.
Old 17th July 2023, 17:07   #4632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajala View Post
You can buy from Viofo.com & have it shipped to India & pay the customs/import-duty. It will cost less than what it costs on viofo.in. But you won't get any warranty. If you buy from viofo.in then they do provide you warranty on your purchase.

End of the day you have to decide whether you want to go without warranty & risk an expensive dashcam or not. Personally I didn't want to risk on such an expensive dashcam so I bought it from viofo.in only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
I am in a constant dilemma on the dashcam. It's just hard to find something which clicks.
Decide on your budget - & the features you want & based on that start filtering out the available options. Watch/read reviews (don't just settle on one person's reviews).

If money is not an object, I'd say go ahead & buy Viofo A139 Pro 2-channel one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Now there is another twist - Have someone coming from Canada later this month. Would it make sense to ask them to get one? Do these companies provide international warranty?
AFAIK none of them have international warranty. So that is one big downside of getting it from abroad. If something goes off in it then you are on your own. It would stink if it was an expensive dashcam.
amitgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 18:21   #4633
BHPian

Quote:

I’m also considering arrangement this but for different reasons. I am well aware that there are many dual dashcams available. But from that I can see in the reviews of these, the rear camera’s quality is significantly lower than the front camera. This means lack of detail and unreadable number plates from the rear camera in many situations, especially at night.

So I was thinking why not buy two good single channel dashcams and use one in front and one in the rear. I don’t mind getting two memory cards and having two devices on the app. But was wondering the exact same thing you were; Are there any other disadvantages of this that I’m not aware of.
I am also looking for a budget dash cam for my car and confused between a dual channel (DDPai Mola N3/70Mai Pro+A500) or two single channels (the front cams only of the aforementioned models for front with another low cost camera for rear like DDpai Mini). The cost difference is hardly 1000 Rs, but I will get much better camera quality especially the rear, with 2 different cams.

Experienced members can please throw some light, whether my assumption is correct or I am missing something.
Old 17th July 2023, 20:17   #4634
BHPian

Hey Everyone!

I am planning to equip my MG ZS EV with a dash cam and looking for some valuable suggestions for the same from the community.
Here are my primary requirements:
  1. Good picture quality is obviously a must. I am not concerned whether it is FHD or 2K or 4K, but it should provide good quality day as well as night time videos.
  2. The cam should come with a glitch free app which has a convenient interface for directly downloding photos and videos, and it should also not have connectivity issues.
  3. I need a single channel cam only. I do not like wires showing anywhere in my car. The only reason I could convince myself to buy a dashcam is because my ZS EV has a USB port near the IRVM.
  4. Neither do I plan to hardwire, so parking monitoring is not at all important.
  5. Although the car doesn't remain in very extreme temperatures, but I would prefer an option with a capacitor rather than battery.
  6. I'd also like a good after sales support and updates.
  7. I'm not sure if a CPL is very useful, but if it is then I would like an option where the CPL is offered by the same company itself.

Thanks in advance...
Old 18th July 2023, 11:37   #4635
BHPian

Quote:
Decide on your budget - & the features you want & based on that start filtering out the available options. Watch/read reviews (don't just settle on one person's reviews).
You are right, that's what I did. Still getting tough to close it.

Around 6 months ago I started looking for a 2 channel dashcam with a budget of 15k. Almost finalized 70MAI 500s. Then got to know of a few negative reviews about the reliability of the product as well as iOS app. So that went on hold. In the meantime, Viofo caught my eye and I was in two minds on whether I should extend my budget. Wasn't sure so kept on procrastinating.
Then came across good reviews on Wolfbox and finalized G840H which is a mirror dashcam. My car only has parking sensors so this made a lot of sense plus it had good reviews and is just slightly over budget. Spoke to the dealer recently before placing the order. Had a weird pre-sales experience that stopped me from pulling the trigger (once again).

So here I am in a perpetual dilemma.

Usually I love researching about products and finding the best value for money option - whether it be electronics or something else. But this time, it's just stretched to an extent where it seems I am at the same point where I was 6 months back.

Quote:
If money is not an object, I'd say go ahead & buy Viofo A139 Pro 2-channel one.
Thanks for the recommendation. It's way over budget and seems too expensive.

Quote:
AFAIK none of them have international warranty. So that is one big downside of getting it from abroad. If something goes off in it then you are on your own. It would stink if it was an expensive dashcam.
Yes correct. I pinged Viofo India yesterday. They confirmed there is no after sales support for Canada purchased product. So can't risk it.

Last edited by warrioraks : 18th July 2023 at 11:38.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks