Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
  Search this Thread
3,161,075 views
Old 14th June 2023, 16:16   #4546
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Tenkasi
Posts: 156
Thanked: 236 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
I was also looking at one of these 360 degree cameras on ebay, it mentions that it has recording function, if anyone has any experience with these type of systems, please let me know the feedback.

Link - https://www.ebay.com/itm/360-Bird-Vi...-127632-2357-0
Woodman x360 with 360 camera has recording function. So, technically, any android stereo with the appropriate app should be able to record videos. That's not the only factor though. The camera connector should be compatible with the head unit.
JoaTMoN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 22:39   #4547
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Blr
Posts: 97
Thanked: 56 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Folks,
I have a couple of questions regarding dashcams.

I have finalised Viofo 139 pro for front dashcam. For memory card I am confused between 256 vs 512. Will 256 be good enough or should I go for 512? On other and will 512 is compatible and stable enough?

For rear camera, I want to use a separate camera to avoid running wire through the length of the car. Which dashcam is recommend for rear usage? Preferably less than 10k.

Thanks
sameerg is offline  
Old 15th June 2023, 00:54   #4548
BHPian
 
amitgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 115
Thanked: 132 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
I have finalised Viofo 139 pro for front dashcam. For memory card I am confused between 256 vs 512. Will 256 be good enough or should I go for 512?
256 GB is enough if you don't want to go for 512 GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
On other and will 512 is compatible and stable enough?
I've been using Sandisk flash storage for 15+ years. Sandisk Extreme is one of the cards recommended by Viofo. I'd suggest go with that. ( 256 GB | 512 GB - they're not referral links )

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
For rear camera, I want to use a separate camera to avoid running wire through the length of the car.
Why? Get the dashcam installed by a professional and you shouldn't have any issues. Also, if you are concerned about the wiring then you can ask your car maker's ASC to see if they can set up the wiring for you.
amitgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 01:02   #4549
BHPian
 
CzechItaliaMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 109
Thanked: 130 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaTMoN View Post
Woodman x360 with 360 camera has recording function. So, technically, any android stereo with the appropriate app should be able to record videos. That's not the only factor though. The camera connector should be compatible with the head unit.
I see. These systems look like the Video OUT is a regular yellow pin connector, similar to how we connect our rear camera to the head unit. In theory, with the right app with the correct setup, this should work. The problem is, I have no plans to get a different head unit for my car as of now, quite happy with the stock look. I was wondering if there was any additional device which had only task of recording the video out, similar to a dvr. The viewing part is taken care of by a monitor i have used as rear parking camera.
CzechItaliaMoto is online now  
Old 15th June 2023, 01:35   #4550
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Blr
Posts: 97
Thanked: 56 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
256 GB is enough if you don't want to go for 512 GB.


Why? Get the dashcam installed by a professional and you shouldn't have any issues. Also, if you are concerned about the wiring then you can ask your car maker's ASC to see if they can set up the wiring for you.
Thanks a ton for your suggestions. I will buy sandisk 256 gb

I don't want to get into running wire through the car because

1) ASC has refused to do it. In fact, they have refused to put just the front dashcam, which will need minor work. They simply said if they put it, they would have to make a note of it, and that would void the warranty. Dont, want to risk that for a brand-new car.

2) Small rattles bother me a lot in the car. I am worried if any of the panels start making any noise, I will always be cranky and distracted in the car.

3) Some of the people on the forum have mentioned that running wires through the side can mess up airbags.
sameerg is offline  
Old 15th June 2023, 03:47   #4551
BHPian
 
Bala02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Chennai
Posts: 38
Thanked: 72 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Hello my fellow Bhpians, I have a question regarding the importance of GPS module in dashcam, is it important in Indian roads? Can having one prove to be detrimental as it's not a perfect world and too much data may not work in our favor? Trying to play the devil's advocate here. I understand it can be used to refute speeding tickets, but I have never got one in life. Please share your thoughts.
Bala02 is offline  
Old 15th June 2023, 10:55   #4552
Senior - BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CG07/ MH34
Posts: 1,283
Thanked: 1,422 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
You might want to reconsider if you park your car under the Sun because 70MAI dashcams use Lithium Ion batteries. Also this model supports a max 128 GB of card.
Even if you have a covered parking at home and office, you may have to park the car under the sun on several occasions. Is this capacitor vs. Li-ion battery so very important factor when you choose a dashcam ?

I have been deferring the purchase of dashcam for some time, as very often I have noticed from the clippings that the plate is not readable. Is it possible to get a clear readable picture of the plate everytime under real driving conditions ?

I'm an accountant, so just trying to understand the issues involved.
Sommos is offline  
Old 15th June 2023, 11:38   #4553
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Tenkasi
Posts: 156
Thanked: 236 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
I have been deferring the purchase of dashcam for some time, as very often I have noticed from the clippings that the plate is not readable. Is it possible to get a clear readable picture of the plate everytime under real driving conditions ?
I would rather get a dashcam that records the incident today, than wait for one that shows number plates. When an accident occurs, one can still track the perpetrator by sharing the vehicle model, color and other evidences like the stickers from windshield, from the footage available, to the police. In most cases, the vehicles involved would come to a halt, and we could still get the number plate recorded. So, I suggest you get the best money can buy, today. When a better one comes that reads number plates, you can always upgrade later. Don't wait for the chicken and miss the eggs.
JoaTMoN is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 21:31   #4554
BHPian
 
bravo82in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UP80
Posts: 495
Thanked: 942 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
If you have an Android stereo, you can probably try installing an app from the playstore, and check if it detects the front and rear cams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaTMoN View Post
Woodman x360 with 360 camera has recording function. So, technically, any android stereo with the appropriate app should be able to record videos.
I checked with a couple accessory stores. They have front cameras that work with android system. The major issue is the quality of cameras is not upto the mark. Also the android stereos has limited storage, a flash drive needs to be added to make up for extra store. Itís better to go with a 360 camera setup as quality is much better.

Regards
bravo82in is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 21:54   #4555
BHPian
 
amitgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 115
Thanked: 132 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
1) ASC has refused to do it. In fact, they have refused to put just the front dashcam, which will need minor work. They simply said if they put it, they would have to make a note of it, and that would void the warranty. Dont, want to risk that for a brand-new car.
Wow. That's rather obnoxious of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
2) Small rattles bother me a lot in the car. I am worried if any of the panels start making any noise, I will always be cranky and distracted in the car.

3) Some of the people on the forum have mentioned that running wires through the side can mess up airbags.
Hence the suggestion to get it done by a person who actually knows what they are doing instead of a random local car accessory shop. Tucking the wire behind panels & in the door frame beading isn't rocket science - that you can do yourself by watching a few videos. But the person who knows what to do takes care of not messing around airbags & that panels are pressed back so they dont hang out. The guy I got it done from didnt even remove the panels inside the car, just routed the wire through door frame & tucked behind panel on the pillars using fingers & the plastic tool that came with the dashcam to tuck in the wires.

But choice is yours. I've seen people do dual dashcams - for front & rear each for whatever reason but I don't know any of them who is happy with that set up.

If you want a separate dashcam for rear, you can go for any which has 1080p resolution. Plenty of choices in your budget. Viofo WM1 is a good choice, A119 V3 is also good but its 4 years old now so I'd avoid. DDPAI Mini & DDPAI Z40 are also good choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala02 View Post
I have a question regarding the importance of GPS module in dashcam, is it important in Indian roads?
Good to have. Importance is determined by context/situation one finds oneself in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala02 View Post
Can having one prove to be detrimental as it's not a perfect world and too much data may not work in our favor? Trying to play the devil's advocate here.
If you have it, you can turn it off if you want. But if you don't have it, you can't turn it on should you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala02 View Post
I understand it can be used to refute speeding tickets, but I have never got one in life.
Dashcams are precautionary devices like insurance - one takes it so that they are not caught out in a sticky situation without its help when its needed. Its not a remedial device to get when you need it because by that time it would be too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Even if you have a covered parking at home and office, you may have to park the car under the sun on several occasions. Is this capacitor vs. Li-ion battery so very important factor when you choose a dashcam ?
Batteries, like most other things, have a limit on how much heat they can tolerate. When that temperature is crossed, they tend to explode. People have destroyed their whole car interiors because they left a powerbank or something in the car parked under the Sun in Indian summers. Dashcam might not take out your whole interiors but it can do significant damage if battery explodes - not to mention that your dashcam wouldn't be worth scrap after that. In Indian summers when outside temperature goes up around 47-48'C, interior temperature in a car parked under the Sun can easily go till 60'C or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
I have been deferring the purchase of dashcam for some time, as very often I have noticed from the clippings that the plate is not readable. Is it possible to get a clear readable picture of the plate everytime under real driving conditions ?
No dashcam will get 100% of the plates. It works just like a camera - so clarity of a plate would depend on the relative speed of your car with the other car, the angle at which the plate is located & whether the camera is able to lock focus on it or not. Cheaper cameras will cheaper lenses & cheaper image sensors, the higher up you go you will get better hardware. Hardware plays a big role in quality. I got Viofo A139 Pro for 36K & even that can't get them all at high speeds but it can get it in most cases.
amitgupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 01:06   #4556
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,671
Thanked: 1,064 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
Thanks a ton for your suggestions. I will buy sandisk 256 gb

I don't want to get into running wire through the car because

1) the front dashcam, which will need minor work. They simply said if they put it,

3) side can mess up airbags.
1) you can always use the USB port to take power for the dashcam. I have one of those multiport USB chargers and use one of its ports when I recently upgraded my dash cam.

3) You can route the wires through the floor panel / sill instead of through the headliner.

Your solution for a two separate dashcam is also good. Just letting you know that there are options if you need a dual dash cam.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 10:50   #4557
BHPian
 
CzechItaliaMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 109
Thanked: 130 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
I checked with a couple accessory stores. They have front cameras that work with android system. The major issue is the quality of cameras is not upto the mark. Also the android stereos has limited storage, a flash drive needs to be added to make up for extra store. Itís better to go with a 360 camera setup as quality is much better.

Regards
I found one system that has 360 degree recording, and hooks up to an Android headunit/ car monitor using the yellow round pin. Looks like it has standalone storage, there is a USB port provided to record video on a flash drive-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144743361659

Now I'm wondering whether I should go for this or simply stick to my existing dual dashcam setup. Only problem I have with this is quite serious, I cannot read from the SD card. Will try to plug it in directly to the computer to see if it shows up.
CzechItaliaMoto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 15:37   #4558
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 805
Thanked: 2,993 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Recently, I procured a Dashcam (Viofo A129 Duo). I'm yet to install it in the car. I have a few queries, hoping somebody experienced with use of Dashcam can answer them.
.....
I installed the front dashcam (Viofo A129 Duo) last evening. Added a CPL filter as well.
Presently, powering it using 12V power socket (cigarette lighter) as I'm still trialing various things. I'm not a tech/gadget freak. Still it was much straightforward to install the dashcam and setup the Wi-fi. Also, super easy to install Viofo app and configure the settings from mobile phone.

Video is default 2560 x 1440 pixels at 30 fps
Location: East Bangalore
This is my first usage of dashcam.
Uploading couple of videos showing typical chaotic traffic near my home. If all goes well, I will soon install the rear camera and hardwire the dashcam.

Just posting this to encourage people who are still on the fence about dashcam purchase for their cars. Just go for it. With increasing chaos on our roads, it is a MUST to have gadget.






Would like to thank BHPians who answered my queries regarding dashcam and its installation, particularly BHPian Reinhard.

Any feedback on video quality, camera setting, driving style etc is welcome.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 18:22   #4559
BHPian
 
amitgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 115
Thanked: 132 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I installed the front dashcam (Viofo A129 Duo) last evening. Added a CPL filter as well.
Your dashboard is reflecting on your windshield. You will need to adjust the CPL filter a bit to remove those reflections. Here's how I would suggest:
  1. Connect phone via wifi to dashcam & open the Viofo app so that you can see live feed.
  2. On the CPL filter there should be a white arrow mark on the rim. Align this mark with the top of the lens. (Don't fix the filter on lens yet)
  3. Keep looking at the live feed of the camera & rotate the CPL filter slowly clockwise till the reflections are not visible on the screen or are very minimal.
  4. Once you have the position, fix the CPL filter on the lens in that position.
amitgupta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 10:39   #4560
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: HYD/JED/DXB
Posts: 71
Thanked: 241 Times
Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Hi Team,

I am planning to get the Qubo Pro. I am getting it at almost half the price.

Pls recommend whether it's worth the money or simply a piece of junk?
2TR-FE is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks