Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2023, 23:09   #4411
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulmohars View Post

Post a lot of research, i zeroed in on a lesser known/ talked about Dashcam ie the IROAD X11. This is a korean make and is one of the cams in the premium segment. Am a person who likes to avoid Chinese products largely due to their unreliability, i do not mind spend the few extra bucks when a choice is available.

Thanks
Hey, I'm also exploring Iroad FX2 dashcam. Can you please let us know how your experience has been with the brand?
Old 25th April 2023, 15:20   #4412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSpymaster View Post
I'm looking to get the Qubo dashcam but worried about the installation. How is everyone getting their dashcam installed?
So I'm motivated to buy a dashcam and get it installed. I worry about the self installation since I'm not a technical person myself. I'm reading that some units come with hardwire kits and some do not.

So, has anyone done a self installation using the cig point themselves on a Honda City 5G? (Not looking to attach to the fuse box, need it only while driving)

Or has anyone got the installation done in Gurgaon / South Delhi from a dealer / accessory shop?
Old 25th April 2023, 20:22   #4413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSpymaster View Post
So, has anyone done a self installation using the cig point themselves on a Honda City 5G? (Not looking to attach to the fuse box, need it only while driving)

Or has anyone got the installation done in Gurgaon / South Delhi from a dealer / accessory shop?
If you do not intend to hardwire the dashcam, it's a pretty simple process to DIY. I had the same apprehension myself, but when I got down to doing it, it really doesn't take much. You push the cables through the roof liner with the help of plastic tool included in the package, remove the rubber beading around front door (main body) and hide the wire inside and move it underneath the glove box to the central console.

A dealer would charge you anywhere between 1000 to 1500/- for the installation.

Last edited by Revvman : 25th April 2023 at 20:24.
Revvman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 04:49   #4414
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvman View Post
If you do not intend to hardwire the dashcam, it's a pretty simple process to DIY. I had the same apprehension myself, but when I got down to doing it, it really doesn't take much. You push the cables through the roof liner with the help of plastic tool included in the package, remove the rubber beading around front door (main body) and hide the wire inside and move it underneath the glove box to the central console.

A dealer would charge you anywhere between 1000 to 1500/- for the installation.
We had one more dashcam installed yesterday. This was on my Father’s Glanza.
He had bought a DDPAI dashcam recently on my suggestion as an additional safety measure, but hadn’t been able to fit it up in his home city Madras.
For some reason, Bangalore seems to have far larger numbers of competent car and bike accessory shops around.
So I went across to my neighbourhood accessory shop which I have been going to for years and asked him to fit it for me. I tend to spread my custom across multiple accessory shops in the neighbourhood because I just think it’s a nice thing to do to buy local.
Anyway, the procedure for fitment is exactly as outlined above and takes hardly 15-20 min and might cost you about 200-300 Rupees in general or the effort.
I think in today’s world every car had better have a dashcam. I wish the manufacturers would simply include a hardwired dashcam as an OEM feature, the way they provide head units and all. It’s a good trend to have the reverse camera for sure and in some cases the 360 degree camera too.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 15:57   #4415
BHPian

Recently bought the Nextdigitron ACE Cam with GPS. Installation was pretty simple, managed it myself after watching the installation video shared by Nextdigitron. The app is easy to use, and so far quite happy with the video recording quality. However, I have one question, do you keep the camera connected to the 12v charging socket even when you turn off the engine and park overnight? Or do you have to remove the 12v charging socket, every time you park, to prevent battery drainage? I forgot to remove it once when I went off for lunch during a long drive. When I returned after more than an hour, I figured the camera was recording all along, even though the engine was turned off.

Last edited by MorePower : 26th April 2023 at 16:02.
MorePower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 17:40   #4416
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
have one question, do you keep the camera connected to the 12v charging socket even when you turn off the engine and park overnight? Or do you have to remove the 12v charging socket, every time you park, to prevent battery drainage?.
Unless the camera is hardwired to the battery using the proper kit, it will not normally receive power when the car is switched off and parked. If however your socket is a ‘live’ one, it will receive power till the battery dies. This is like a power leakage or a parasitic usage if unauthorised and happening only because of faulty connection method.
The camera itself has a battery enabling it to remain alive for a time even when the car is switched off. When it is connected to the usb socket via the adapter, the camera receives power only when the car is switched on. In all my vehicles wherever we have connected the 70Mai and DDPAI dash cameras there is a sound and a voice which says something terribly cheesy like ‘Hello DingDingPai’ as soon as the car is switched on, thereby signifying that it is receiving power supply.
It is possible to set the camera (through the app) to take still photos or record continuously or take still photos in the event of a sudden jerk or bump and best of all to record emergency scenarios in case of an impact event when the vehicle is parked and stationary. Saying all of the above it is generally good practice from a battery health maximisation perspective to remove the camera charging wire from the socket once in a way just to allow the battery to drain and then reconnect it to charge. But most of the time one never remembers to do all of this. There are just far too many charge dependent devices in one’s life at this time.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th April 2023 at 17:42.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 15:59   #4417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience77 View Post
1. 70mai A800S True 4K Dual Channel: Checks all major boxes. Unsure about video quality at night
2. 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S Dual Channel: Checks all major boxes as well. Again, I'm unsure of video quality
3. REDTIGER F7N 4K Dual: Couldn't find too many reviews. dashcamtalk has a decent review but reliability could be an issue. If any one has any experiences, please share
4. DDPAI Z40 GPS Dual Channel: Most popular option. Video quality is questionable
5. Viofo A119 V3 2K: Brilliant option. 1 major challenges. Its single channel - which would mean that I buy a cheap 3K one for rear. Is that a sensible option?
I've finally purchased DDMAI Z40 which set me back by ~12K. Will be sharing my experience post fitting.
If anyone could share contact details of garages that can fit it in my EcoSport (curtain airbags) in and around JP Nagar, Bengaluru.
Would also be helpful to understand the typical charges for installing front and rear setup - without hardwire kit installation

Last edited by Rocketscience77 : 27th April 2023 at 16:08.
Old 27th April 2023, 17:31   #4418
BHPian

Quote:
Recently bought the Nextdigitron ACE Cam with GPS. Installation was pretty simple, managed it myself after watching the installation video shared by Nextdigitron. The app is easy to use, and so far quite happy with the video recording quality. However, I have one question, do you keep the camera connected to the 12v charging socket even when you turn off the engine and park overnight? Or do you have to remove the 12v charging socket, every time you park, to prevent battery drainage? I forgot to remove it once when I went off for lunch during a long drive. When I returned after more than an hour, I figured the camera was recording all along, even though the engine was turned off.
I belive you installed it in your Figo. Fords have had 12v sockets which are powered even after you turn off your car. This is not the case with most of the brands.
I face this issue in my Figo. Each time I have to disconnect dashcam after switching off my car. If I forget, it keeps on draining the battery.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 17:36   #4419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Unless the camera is hardwired to the battery using the proper kit, it will not normally receive power when the car is switched off and parked. If however your socket is a ‘live’ one, it will receive power till the battery dies.
Thanks Shankar. This is what I had suspected all along. Although I didn't have any problems with the camera sipping power from the battery for an hour during my long drive, I'm sure if left longer, may find my battery dead. Don't want to risk it. Will have to see though if over a longer period of time, the constant removal and inserting of the USB charger into the 12v socket, will in any way damage the contact point.
Old 27th April 2023, 17:43   #4420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
I belive you installed it in your Figo. Fords have had 12v sockets which are powered even after you turn off your car. This is not the case with most of the brands.
I face this issue in my Figo. Each time I have to disconnect dashcam after switching off my car. If I forget, it keeps on draining the battery.
Thanks. That's what I have started doing as well. Just curious though, do you also take the USB charger out of the socket each time or just the dash cam cable from the charger?
Old 27th April 2023, 17:54   #4421
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. That's what I have started doing as well. Just curious though, do you also take the USB charger out of the socket each time or just the dash cam cable from the charger?
I pull out the USB charger out of 12v socket as my dashcam's charger cable is hardwired.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 18:42   #4422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Anyway, the procedure for fitment is exactly as outlined above and takes hardly 15-20 min and might cost you about 200-300 Rupees in general or the effort.
I think in today’s world every car had better have a dashcam.
Could you please share the name and number of this person? People I've asked are asking for 1.5K
Old 27th April 2023, 20:11   #4423
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience77 View Post
Could you please share the name and number of this person? People I've asked are asking for 1.5K
This chap is in HSR layout off 27th main in the lane next to Sangeetha mobile store. It’s an accessories and Audio and similar shop called Auto Car etc. I ll swing by the shop tomorrow and get you the number.
He doesn’t over charge. Decent chap.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 07:28   #4424
BHPian

Has anyone used this model? It is a dashcam unit with 360 cam feature. Looks promising. Not sure if this requires hardwiring or not. Since it comes with its own screen maybe hardwiring not required?

AUSHA® 360° 4 Channel Dashboard Camera Full HD 12" IPS Touch Mirror Screen Dash Camera with Enhanced Night Vision, Parking Assistance, G-Sensor, and Loop Recording https://amzn.eu/d/7i6eEZb
Old 28th April 2023, 14:55   #4425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
I pull out the USB charger out of 12v socket as my dashcam's charger cable is hardwired.
I think the DDPAI has some protection built in to switch off, if the battery level is going down, I have left the car charger with the dashcam connected for 2 days in my Fiesta, no issue noticed, might happen in the long run I think.
The car accessory guy told me that he can change the wiring to power the charger only when the ignition is in ACC mode.

Most Viewed