Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2023, 09:17   #4336
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I am looking for a dual channel dash cam for my new car.. Kindly share your suggestions

Budget: 15k max including hardwire kit.
Requirements

1. Video should be reasonably good enough to read number plates at night
2. Must be super capacitor based
3 . App should be glitch free and easy to download videos
4. GPS is added advantage
5. ADAS etc is not required

My existing 70mai single channel operated with zero issues for 6 years. I am not sure if super capacitor is even a priority requirement or is it all marketing talk. Never heard about any dash camera exploding so far.

Still for psychological safety prefer super capacitor based cams.
Old 25th March 2023, 09:50   #4337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
I am looking for a dual channel dash cam for my new car.. Kindly share your suggestions

Budget: 15k max including hardwire kit.
Requirements

1. Video should be reasonably good enough to read number plates at night
2. Must be super capacitor based
3 . App should be glitch free and easy to download videos
4. GPS is added advantage
5. ADAS etc is not required

My existing 70mai single channel operated with zero issues for 6 years. I am not sure if super capacitor is even a priority requirement or is it all marketing talk. Never heard about any dash camera exploding so far.

Still for psychological safety prefer super capacitor based cams.
I have 4 dashcams from some Chinese brand from Aliexpress, purchased 6 years ago. One of them stopped working after 4 years. The rest is working like when they were new. None of them have batteries, and I don't know if they have super capacitors either. But when technology has improved, and when the price difference(between battery and super capacitor models) is not significant, why not upgrade?

I recently purchased a 3 channel wolfbox i07 dashcam with super capacitor, 3 inch display, and GPS logging, and supports upto 512gb cards. I got it yesterday, and will install it today if possible. The whole package(3 channel dashcam+hardwire kit+32gb Lexar microsd card+antistatic stickers+charger) cost me 16,000. I've gone through reviews, and it seems to be a reliable brand, although it's made in China. I can't comment on video quality or the app because I'm yet to start using it.

Do consider getting a model with display, or one that has a wifi connected app interface, without which, configuring the camera is a huge pain. I've been struggling with 3 such cams of mine for years.
JoaTMoN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 13:17   #4338

Hi all,

I've been thinking of buying a basic Dashcam for my 3 year old Hyundai Grand i10. Been lucky to not face any major untoward incidents so far, but I believe it is safe to get one.

As I said, I'm looking for basic single channel dashcam for frontside. Here are the few options I came across on Amazon.
  • DDPAI Mini
  • Nexdigitron A3
  • RedTiger F5
  • 70mai M300
What I would prefer is
  1. No Li-Ion batteries - I've left Qubo since it has Lithium Ion battery that I would want to avoid. Is that an issue with 70mai as well?
  2. Decent reliable mobile app where I can download videos if required. I'm not a regular PC user to take my microSD card and download videos. So, would want to do it on mobile.
  3. Easily fittable CPL filter - again understand CPL filter might be required for clean videos.
  4. DIY installation - not planning to hardwire, will be using the charger option.
Could you suggest me a good option? And also please let me know if I'm missing something.
karthis91 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 14:40   #4339
BHPian

How safe is hardwiring dash cams. In case of short circuit or fire can insurance company deny claim because of hard wired dash cam.

Also once you hardwire how do we control battery draining. I understand there are controls which stop power to camera once battery go below a certain volt range. However is it fully reliable
Old 25th March 2023, 15:00   #4340
BHPian

Quote:
How safe is hardwiring dash cams. In case of short circuit or fire can insurance company deny claim because of hard wired dash cam.
Can't say about the insurance denial aspect but fire won't be caused due to hardwiring if it has been done correctly. There is fuse installed for hardwiring kit.

Quote:
Also once you hardwire how do we control battery draining. I understand there are controls which stop power to camera once battery go below a certain volt range. However is it fully reliable
It is reliable. Haven't checked the volts but camera does switch off after a while when voltage drops. Also, it is not necessary to hardwire dashcam. You can add an additional 12v socket extension behind your glove box and plug dashcam there, it'll hide your wiring and free up your 12v console socket.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 21:04   #4341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
You can add an additional 12v socket extension behind your glove box and plug dashcam there, it'll hide your wiring and free up your 12v console socket.
So where does power comes from to the extra socket?

I am quite apprehensive about meddling with the electrical system of modern automobiles. I won't be comfortable adding another socket unless the manufacturer has left a power drawing point open for any such contingency.
Old 25th March 2023, 22:23   #4342
BHPian

Quote:
So where does power comes from to the extra socket?
From the fuse box directly which I suppose is under your steering.

Quote:
I am quite apprehensive about meddling with the electrical system of modern automobiles. I won't be comfortable adding another socket unless the manufacturer has left a power drawing point open for any such contingency.
Okay, for this you need to mention your vehicle. Usually there are fuses which are intentionally left unused by the manufacturer which are powered. You can refer your vehicle manual - fuses page, you’ll know if there is any. Fluidic Verna which I suppose is modern automobile has 3 spaces left blank which are powered. 2 are always on and one is powered in ACC mode. It varies from vehicle to vehicle.

On the other hand, it is not so serious as you have made it to be. Good branded dashcams won’t mess up your electrical system. Companies pump in a lot of money in designing and production of dashcams. They factor in every possible situation. Also, it is not something which has come just now. Dashcams have been there since a long time.

This thread itself started in 2013. It has been a decade.
Old 25th March 2023, 23:28   #4343
BHPian

Here are some pics taken during installation of Wolfbox i07 3 channel dashcam.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20230325_104045.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 26th March 2023 at 11:26. Reason: Attachment fixed
Old 26th March 2023, 11:20   #4344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Okay, for this you need to mention your vehicle.

On the other hand, it is not so serious as you have made it to be.
This thread itself started in 2013. It has been a decade.
My vehicle is VW Virtus Highline (Manual 1.0)

I am not questioning the reliability of the technology, it's been around for a while, although most of the companies we purchase DVR from are Chinese manufacturers( I am not implying China cannot make quality products, but it depends on their intent and customer requirement). This is evident from some of the half-cooked user interfaces and support apps. So I won't feel surprised about one of these devices malfunctioning. On other hand, modern automobiles rely so much on electrical and electronics and I don't have enough knowledge to meddle with them and feel confident.

Recently I have read so much news about vehicles catching fire etc which was not much heard of in the past. I think the reason is the unprofessional handling of wiring and electronics in the vehicle. In modern vehicles, there is so much which actually could go wrong. Even in the case of the Verna with an open power outlet in the fuse box, I doubt if Hyundai would honor their warranty if something goes wrong majorly in the electrical system after they find that you have hardwired a dash cam. The company doesn't explicitly authorize any such activity as far I understand (The dealer or mechanic at the service center may talk differently).

Anyhow, I have tried to figure it out by opening the fuse box under the steering and it actually made me more confused . Attaching pics for reference.

Also, the 12V socket of Virtus is always powered I think, it works even after the vehicle is locked.

Dashboard Fuse Box

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-db-fuse-1.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-db-fuse-2.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-db-fuse-3.jpg

Engine Bay Fuse Box Diagram

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-eb-fuse-1.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-eb-fuse-2.jpg

Last edited by Sid13 : 26th March 2023 at 11:23.
Old 26th March 2023, 21:44   #4345
BHPian

Quote:
My vehicle is VW Virtus Highline (Manual 1.0)

So I won't feel surprised about one of these devices malfunctioning.
See, any product can malfunction since it is an electronic device. Buy from a good brand which has been long enough in the market, chances of getting a lemon would be slim. Even if you get one unfortunately, warranty will take care of it. So rest assured that is not something to be bothered about these days.

Quote:
On other hand, modern automobiles rely so much on electrical and electronics and I don't have enough knowledge to meddle with them and feel confident.
True. Too many sensors and complicated parts these days.

Quote:
Recently I have read so much news about vehicles catching fire etc which was not much heard of in the past. I think the reason is the unprofessional handling of wiring and electronics in the vehicle.
You are right here. People in our country are habitual to jugaad. So it is not surprising why cars catch fire. A bad installation can damage either device or car or both. Honestly, if you are a DIY person this is not complicated. There are threads on how to install it yourself. Follow it and you’re good to go. Hardwiring thread here is fairly detailed, so if you know what you’re doing it’s unlikely you’ll mess up.

Quote:
In modern vehicles, there is so much which actually could go wrong. Even in the case of the Verna with an open power outlet in the fuse box, I doubt if Hyundai would honor their warranty if something goes wrong majorly in the electrical system after they find that you have hardwired a dash cam. The company doesn't explicitly authorize any such activity as far I understand (The dealer or mechanic at the service center may talk differently).
See, warranty process is solely dependent on your relationship with ASC. If they are willing they’ll honour warranty even if there are 20 mods installed but if the entire fault in electrical system is due to dashcam then I’m pretty sure nobody would honour any claim whatsoever. If you are following company rules then I’m afraid there aren’t any mods which you can do. You need to understand that if anything goes wrong with dashcam then at first fuse will blow which will result in cutting off power to dashcam.

Quote:
Also, the 12V socket of Virtus is always powered I think, it works even after the vehicle is locked.
Then you cannot tap it for powering dashcam. You need to find another one. Why not use wiper one (#18)? Also, you do not need to fiddle with engine compartment for this.

I can see pins at #28,29,30,31. If you have multi-meter or 12v tester, can you check if they are powered? Even at #12 I can see pins.

Hope it helps.
Old 26th March 2023, 22:51   #4346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaTMoN View Post
Here are some pics taken during installation of Wolfbox i07 3 channel dashcam.

Attachment 2433176
Where did you source it from? I could not find a reliable platform online to make a purchase. Also please do let us know if the video quality or post a sample.
Old 27th March 2023, 07:38   #4347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
Where did you source it from? I could not find a reliable platform online to make a purchase. Also please do let us know if the video quality or post a sample.
I ordered directly from the vendor. For some strange reason, the media I upload from my mobile is not loading thumbnails, and displays a list rather than thumbnails. I'll post all the images from my PC tonight.
Old 27th March 2023, 09:30   #4348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaTMoN View Post
I ordered directly from the vendor. For some strange reason, the media I upload from my mobile is not loading thumbnails, and displays a list rather than thumbnails. I'll post all the images from my PC tonight.
Can you please share the vendor website you purchased it from? Did you hardwire it?
Old 27th March 2023, 09:47   #4349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
Can you please share the vendor website you purchased it from? Did you hardwire it?
He doesn't run a website. He's the same vendor who sells it on Amazon. I found his number and contacted him directly. He's based in Delhi. He doesn't have i07 in stock right now. He has informed me that he would ping me once he received the stock, probably in a week. And yes, I did hardwire it.
Old 27th March 2023, 10:39   #4350

I recently purchased Qubo Smart Dashcam GPS with a 128GB Samsung EVO memory card from Amazon.

This is a dashcam only (without screen) it records videos in 1080p, has GPS Logging, Wide Dynamic Range with Wide angle view, and timelapse for day-long trips.

So far I found it good and the videos are of good quality, you can read the number plates of other vehicles. It captures images of any jolts experienced while driving.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pdp3.jpg

Below are sample video recordings for your reference.

- Day Recording

- Night Recording
SteadySteer is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks