Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2023, 22:31   #4456
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
My shipment was through Bluedart and reached a day after placing the order.
I called them & they said they ship via Blue Dart only. That's good.

Quote:
If you've selected Viofo, go for Viofo.in. It's safe. I did get A229 Duo last year.
Placed the order. Let's see.

Btw which memory cards did you get? In the FAQs on the viofo.com Sandisk Max Endurance is one of the recommended cards but the person from viofo.in messaged me & told me to go for either Viofo card or Sandisk Extreme, not Endurance.

I checked on amazon.in & it doesn't have Sandisk Max Endurance. So I've ordered Sandisk Extreme for now. Viofo card looks too expensive (double the price of Sandisk Extreme) & I've no experience with their storage. Sandisk I've been using for 10+ years.

Quote:
Btw, I envy your choice man. Had this model been available last year I surely would have got this one.
That is the game. Next year there will be another better model & we'll both look at it & envy! That's how it is with electronics.
Old 24th May 2023, 01:22   #4457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
I checked on amazon.in & it doesn't have Sandisk Max Endurance. So I've ordered Sandisk Extreme for now. Viofo card looks too expensive (double the price of Sandisk Extreme) & I've no experience with their storage. Sandisk I've been using for 10+ years.
You can use any high endurance card from Samsung, Sandisk & Transcend. I am using Sandisk HE on my Yi Dashcam for last 6+ yes

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...sh-camera.html (Review: YI Dash Camera)

Off late I started buying Samsung HE cards from home security cameras which are also running continuously for last 5+ yrs

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_6020.jpg

One thing to note, I recently replaced a 9.5yrs old faulty card from Sandisk under warranty This 64GB card was purchased along with Samsung Galaxy S3 way back in 2013. After that it did its duties on DSLR, Security cam and more recently on drone when it finally stopped writing. Got a new one from Sandisk service center in Pune. One thing to note, while I have purchased this for 3K plus back in the days, price of this now may be similar to diesel consumed to travel Home<-> Service & back in present day
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20230325_120721.jpg
Old 24th May 2023, 12:01   #4458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
You can use any high endurance card from Samsung, Sandisk & Transcend.
Viofo website says Samsung cards are not recommended. That's ok for now, I anyways would've gone with Sandisk. I might try Samsung cards for my camera. I've been using their Evo & Pro SSDs for a few years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
One thing to note, while I have purchased this for 3K plus back in the days, price of this now may be similar to diesel consumed to travel Home<-> Service & back in present day
Haha. Yeah the prices of flash memory has indeed dropped over the years. I got Sandisk Extreme 512 GB card for abt 4k last night. And I remember when I asked a friend to bring Sandisk 128 GB pen-drive from US (it wasn't available in India then) years ago & it cost me 12-13k.
Old 24th May 2023, 13:03   #4459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Hey folks,

So I was gifted a 5k amazon gift card recently, went and got myself the 70 mai m300 dash cam with it. Heres a short install video after the link

As you can see, it was effortless to install and hide the power cable. Though there is an option to hard wire it to the relay box of the car, I opted for using the cigarette lighter plug option instead.

Couple of observations:
1. The collision sensitivity set to high makes the cam start taking emergency event video when you roll over those annoying tiny speed bumps( those hard rubber black/yellow ones in all parking structures). Setting it to low makes this go away.
2. The cam records in both high compression and low compression. What I hav e seen is videos recorded in high compression when played on the 70mai app play smoothly but playing on the phone media player appear choppy. Trying now with low compression ratio recordings, shall update over the weekend.
3. The app itself is very user friendly and a breeze to setup. I just wish downloading the videos from the cam to your phone were faster so I need not sit in the car after getting home from work to just download any videos with especially idiotic driver encounters on the road.

Sriku
So updating this post, the choppy video playback on android default phone media player was not fixed by changing the compression ratio from high to low, but I have since identified that using other players like MX Player are able to render the captured video perfectly without any choppiness. so it seems to be a codec/encoding issue not supported by stock android media player. on my laptop and other media players the issue is not observed.

Sriku
Old 24th May 2023, 13:53   #4460
BHPian

Quote:
Btw which memory cards did you get? In the FAQs on the viofo.com Sandisk Max Endurance is one of the recommended cards but the person from viofo.in messaged me & told me to go for either Viofo card or Sandisk Extreme, not Endurance.

Even I have SanDisk Extreme 128GB. Works fine. Viofo one is indeed expensive and to be honest, I don’t think I would get Viofo when I have the option of SanDisk or Samsung. Whichever you choose it’ll work fine.

Quote:
That is the game. Next year there will be another better model & we'll both look at it & envy! That's how it is with electronics.
Actually the issue is with HDR. It plays a huge role at nights when people use headlights. I wouldn’t have if mine was with HDR. It’s just I had a lot of expectations from mine.

Last edited by batish : 24th May 2023 at 13:56.
Old 24th May 2023, 14:07   #4461
BHPian

Quote:
Actually the issue is with HDR. It plays a huge role at nights when people use headlights. I wouldn’t have if mine was with HDR. It’s just I had a lot of expectations from mine.
HDR alone isn't going to cut it with headlights of oncoming cars. For that a polarizing filter is what will reduce the glare. Thankfully A139 Pro includes a CPL filter - so I'll test & see if it helps enough in both day & night or not. Either I'll keep it on always or remove it completely - not gonna do the put it on for day & remove at night thing.
Old 24th May 2023, 15:01   #4462
BHPian

Quote:
HDR alone isn't going to cut it with headlights of oncoming cars. For that a polarizing filter is what will reduce the glare. Thankfully A139 Pro includes a CPL filter - so I'll test & see if it helps enough in both day & night or not. Either I'll keep it on always or remove it completely - not gonna do the put it on for day & remove at night thing.
I already have CPL Filter installed.

I was talking about plates in front of the vehicle going in the same direction. CPL reduces sunlight glare and windshield reflection to a great extent but HDR is something else.

Since your model has HDR you won't face any issue there.
Old 24th May 2023, 16:00   #4463
BHPian

So here is my misery episode of the day. Was driving towards Varthur, for my kid's school. And lo and behold, on the way - these dreaded bikers of Bengaluru shatter my car's side rear view mirror, for no obvious fault of mine! This is the third episode of my car suffering side rear view mirror damage in Bengaluru in past 1.5 year. Each time it costs 21K with full assembly required to be replaced

Obviously these guys ran away as soon as I stopped the car, and I couldn't have turned around in time to catch hold of them. This time I want to bring these buggers to the book. But seems my dash cam ditched me. I am somehow not able to read the license plate in this video. Can someone help me how to make it 'readable'? Any tools or tricks for this? I will file a police complaint against these guys and see it to the end. Looking forward to some suggestions or some people who are blessed with hawk eye vision

Another way I need help is to know if any BHPian here from Bengaluru knows anyone who can fix the RVM in an economical way? Have lost the mirror and outer cover, but seems the indicator light and the folding motor is intact.

Old 24th May 2023, 16:11   #4464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
But, im also wary of the frequent battery failures reported in the Jeep Compass, so i do not want to load the car battery than what is necessary, so in this case would a lithium be more apt or does the super capacitor trump lithium in every aspect? From whatever little I know, the super capacitor discharges and recharges much more often than the lithium, hence my fear if the super capacitor puts a bit more stress on the power source, which in this case is the car battery.
This worry is unfounded. In a running car, the dashcam is powered directly via the car's electrical system which is run by the alternator and not the car's battery. A car's battery is only used when the car is not running.

The dashcam's in-built battery (whichever type) is only used to power the dashcam momentarily while the car is turned on/off. During these moments, there is a break in the car's electrical supply. Because dashcam's have continuous read-write and processing, any loss in power could corrupt the files/software and hence this battery is needed. The battery is never used for anything else and hence, I don't think they'll be charging/discharging that frequently.

Your concern on car's battery going down is only ever relevant if you intend to hardwire the dashcam and use it for parking surveillance. It is only in this case that the dashcam relies on car's battery. But even then, modern hardwire kits come with a voltage cut-off device. The one I have from Viofo has different levels of voltage cut-off - I have set it at 13.5V if I recall correctly and a car's battery will be functional till as low as 11V, although the safe limit is 12V. You can choose to hardwire the dashcam (for a cleaner interior finish) and then turn off the parking surveillance, which is what I did.

As for which type of dashcam battery to go with, my pick would be super capacitor as it offers a wider operating temperature range. Like I said, the in-built battery is never used for actually running the dashcam. So from that angle it is immaterial what type of battery it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
But seems my dash cam ditched me. I am somehow not able to read the license plate in this video. Can someone help me how to make it 'readable'? Any tools or tricks for this? I will file a police complaint against these guys and see it to the end. Looking forward to some suggestions or some people who are blessed with hawk eye vision
Nearly impossible to read from this video. But YouTube compresses videos when you upload. Your original video should be more readable than this using a video player on laptop. Try directly using that.

Also, your dashcam likely ditched you because of extreme glare. Please buy a CPL filter if your dashcam supports that. It makes a world of a difference!

Last edited by krishnakumar : 24th May 2023 at 16:24. Reason: multi-quote
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 16:25   #4465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Nearly impossible to read from this video. But YouTube compresses videos when you upload. Your original video should be more readable than this use a stock player on laptop. Try directly using that.

Also, your dashcam likely ditched you because of extreme glare. Please buy a CPL filter if your dashcam supports that. It makes a world of a difference!
Can't make out on laptop as well. Trying some video enhancer ai online. Let's see what it comes up with
Old 24th May 2023, 16:46   #4466
BHPian

Quote:
Can't make out on laptop as well. Trying some video enhancer ai online. Let's see what it comes up with
Hmm. Please try and you can update here because it'll be useful.

Do you happen to have a rear dashcam? The rear dashcam usually captures these better in my experience!

Although not much applicable in your usecase (as the bike crosses in jiffy), one easy way is to read out the number plate, assuming you have the mic turned on for the dashcam. It's something to keep in mind.

Hope insurance will cover for this expense. But do try to get a dual channel dashcam and ones with CPL filter capability.
Old 24th May 2023, 18:55   #4467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Hmm. Please try and you can update here because it'll be useful.

Do you happen to have a rear dashcam? The rear dashcam usually captures these better in my experience!

Although not much applicable in your usecase (as the bike crosses in jiffy), one easy way is to read out the number plate, assuming you have the mic turned on for the dashcam. It's something to keep in mind.

Hope insurance will cover for this expense. But do try to get a dual channel dashcam and ones with CPL filter capability.
So here is the original video downloaded from my dash cam

And here is the one enhanced by AI.

Don't see any difference though

Insurance can cover this but I will still lose 50% depending I guess and future NCB. Double whammy, it seems.

Noted on CPL filter. Will order one today

Last edited by 1lokesh : 24th May 2023 at 18:58.
Old 24th May 2023, 21:22   #4468
BHPian

Quote:
Insurance can cover this but I will still lose 50% depending I guess and future NCB. Double whammy, it seems.
Why is it that a car owner minding his own business, bear the cost of damage caused by a couple of idiotic riders? Why are those who follow traffic rules get punished? Why is it always the larger of the vehicles that become the perpetrator?
JoaTMoN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 18:41   #4469

Hi Team, Can anyone help me with Wolfbox dash cam customer care number in India. Thanks in advance.
Old 26th May 2023, 20:08   #4470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitei20 View Post
Hi Team, Can anyone help me with Wolfbox dash cam customer care number in India. Thanks in advance.
There is no customer care in India as far as I know. You can contact Saksham Anand +91 97188 23283, who is the authorised distributor for India. He will connect you to the company's customer care if he is unable to help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks