Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2023, 22:23   #4516

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I have installed Wolfbox d07 dashcam. can anyone tell me whether blue light blinks in dashcam when parking monitor is on and ignition is off. my dashcam is not blinking So bit confused.
Old 8th June 2023, 23:26   #4517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
To read plates you need higher frame rate not higher resolution
So I was looking in the wrong direction. But that makes it even tougher to find one. For 60 FPS Viofo seems to be the only option.

Quote:
Secondly, GPS works offline
Yes but to do anything with the dashcam one needs an app on your phone which has access to internet.

Quote:
If you are paranoid, look for Viofo dashcams. GPS logger is separate from dashcam, you can detach it. They are super expensive. 4k model is 35k and it is the only one which has good readability and HDR.
Viofo was the first thing I looked at, but they are eye watery expensive.

Quote:
I have A229 but night time quality is pathetic due to lack of HDR, so not recommended.
A119 seems to have HDR, 2k and 60 fps. But GPS doesn't seem detachable. Is the gps module detachable in your A229?
Do we have the option to turn off GPS within the app settings.

Last edited by bravo82in : 8th June 2023 at 23:39.
Old 9th June 2023, 02:30   #4518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
So I was looking in the wrong direction. But that makes it even tougher to find one. For 60 FPS Viofo seems to be the only option.
Well at 80 kmph, it is a challenge to read plates. Try this with your phone once, you'll realise what I am saying. Try with different frame rates. If it works then only go for a new one otherwise I think your old one would suffice you.

Quote:
Yes but to do anything with the dashcam one needs an app on your phone which has access to internet.
Not true. You don't need phone to do anything with dashcam. Settings can be changed on dashcam itself. For viewing or transferring files you can always choose the more painstaking option of removing card and then transferring with microsd card reader.

Secondly, you can connect to your dashcam with direct wifi and still keep your phone disconnected from internet by turning off mobile data.

GPS works offline. It has no privacy concerns. Still if you have concerns you do get the option to turn it off. See this.

Quote:
Viofo was the first thing I looked at, but they are eye watery expensive.
Indeed.

Quote:
A119 seems to have HDR, 2k and 60 fps. But GPS doesn't seem detachable. Is the gps module detachable in your A229?
I don't think A119 has HDR. Please check throughly once. AFAIK, A119S did have 60fps at 1080p. GPS is detachable on A119 as well as A229. In this image, the raised mount is GPS. They provide two mounts, one is GPS one and one is just a plastic plate with double sided tape on it. You can look for an unboxing video on YouTube for the same.

Quote:
Yes. You can turn it off but it is pointless as you won't get either speed info or GPS coordinates in case you need these in your footage anyday.

Also if your car has vertical windshield like Thar then you cannot stick any Viofo dashcam without GPS mount as the camera protrudes a little. For this reason itself, Z40 is not recommended.

Last edited by batish : 9th June 2023 at 02:34.
Old 9th June 2023, 07:59   #4519
BHPian

Quote:
Well at 80 kmph, it is a challenge to read plates. Try this with your phone once, you'll realise what I am saying. Try with different frame rates. If it works then only go for a new one otherwise I think your old one would suffice you
Thanks a ton. Will try doing that. May be I put my query the wrong way. Even when overtaking or being over taken, the number plates are not readable.
Have a look at these screen shots of recordings.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_0731.png

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screen-shot-1.png

This makes the Dashcam practically useless, in case of mishap.

Quote:
Not true. You don't need phone to do anything with dashcam. Settings can be changed on dashcam itself. For viewing or transferring files you can always choose the more painstaking option of removing card and then transferring with microsd card reader.

Secondly, you can connect to your dashcam with direct wifi and still keep your phone disconnected from internet by turning off mobile data.
Not every Dashcam comes with a screen.
Yes the option to turn off mobile data is always there.

Quote:
I don't think A119 has HDR.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-119.png

Quote:
GPS is detachable on A119 as well as A229
Thats my point, if I have to detach gps why not buy one without gps. Howeve gps doesn't cost much so I can always go for one with gps and detach it later.

Quote:
Also if your car has vertical windshield like Thar then you cannot stick any Viofo dashcam without GPS mount as the camera protrudes a little
Thankfully my car is not blessed with a vertical windshield like the Thar.
Old 9th June 2023, 08:55   #4520
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton. Will try doing that. May be I put my query the wrong way. Even when overtaking or being over taken, the number plates are not readable.
Have a look at these screen shots of recordings.

Attachment 2461538

Attachment 2461540

This makes the Dashcam practically useless, in case of mishap.
Oh. That is blurry. Try setting it to maximum resolution. If this is the maximum then better buy a new one and shift this to the rear.

Quote:
Not every Dashcam comes with a screen.
Yes the option to turn off mobile data is always there.
It's fit and forget. You don't need to fiddle with settings regularly.

Oh. This one is A119 Mini 2. A119 didn't have HDR. Even Mini did not have HDR. This one seems latest.

Nice to see, they did realise without HDR cameras are crap.

Quote:
Thats my point, if I have to detach gps why not buy one without gps. Howeve gps doesn't cost much so I can always go for one with gps and detach it later.
Viofo doesn't have option to choose GPS. It is bundled along with dashcam. IIRC, Viofo used to offer without GPS 5-6 years back.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 10:07   #4521
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed that during the scorching summer days of NCR, the dashcam body remains quite hot. I suppose the internal circuits will be at further higher temperature. Vehicle air conditioning doesn't help much (moreso because my usual temp settings are 26~27 deg). Though the dashcam may have been designed to handle high temperatures and working without concern for past 5 years, sustained high temperatures may not be good for it's life span.

Also, the life of SD card inside will surely be affected. I am already on my second High Endurance card.

So, an idea has been floating in my mind and before planning any execution, I seek inputs and suggestions from you all.

Plan is to stick a shade on windshield (black masking sheet/ sticker etc.) around the dashcam with aim to block direct sunlight on it's body. Tried to depict the idea in this image below.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-black_sticker.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th June 2023 at 14:33. Reason: Trimmed text as requested
Old 9th June 2023, 17:17   #4522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post

So, an idea has been floating in my mind and before planning any execution, I seek inputs and suggestions from you all.

Plan is to stick a shade on windshield (black masking sheet/ sticker etc.) around the dashcam with aim to block direct sunlight on it's body. Tried to depict the idea in this image below.
Attachment 2461595
As far as I know, black absorbs heat. Moreover, sticking tapes may only block direct light rays striking the device, but it would still heat the device. I suggest you first measure surface temperate of the dashcam using an industrial thermometer, then stick masking tapes and check temperature under the same conditions. If temperature drops, you can go ahead with your plan, but consider using lighter colors. If it doesn't help, just peel off the masking tapes and carry on with the existing setup.
JoaTMoN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 02:07   #4523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I have noticed that during the scorching summer days of NCR, the dashcam body remains quite hot. I suppose the internal circuits will be at further higher temperature. Vehicle air conditioning doesn't help much (moreso because my usual temp settings are 26~27 deg). Though the dashcam may have been designed to handle high temperatures and working without concern for past 5 years, sustained high temperatures may not be good for it's life span.
I wouldn't recommend this. Since these are international models, manufacturers have already tested this for these temperatures during R&D. Ours is not the only country with these temperatures. There are middle eastern and african countries as well. Parts of North America too heat up well during summers.

Anything you do around your camera like this would make it obvious and more prone to theft.

If we start thinking this way there are several other elements in car like electrochromic rear view mirror or rear defogger glass.

Even if it heats up severely, I think there would be a fail safe mechanism built in which would turn it off/unresponsive until it cools down.

Secondly, regarding SD Card. Just check the operating temperature of the card you have. It usually fails when ambient temperature exceeds operating temperature.
Old 11th June 2023, 02:22   #4524
BHPian

Folks has anyone used Blaupunkt BP4.0 dashcam? Looing for reviews/feedback.
Old 11th June 2023, 06:03   #4525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
Folks has anyone used Blaupunkt BP4.0 dashcam? Looing for reviews/feedback.
The only issue with blaupunkt BP4.0 is that it supports memory card upto 32 gb only, which is a little too low considering it’s a dual channel. Makes its 3-4 hours of recording only.
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 07:07   #4526
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think at that speed you'd be able to read plates even with 8k resolution. To read plates you need higher frame rate not higher resolution.
Not necessarily. 30fps would work as well depending on how the vehicles are moving. If it's on highway & vehicles are driving almost straight line in their lanes then there shouldn't be much of an issue.

Quote:
If you are paranoid, look for Viofo dashcams. GPS logger is separate from dashcam, you can detach it. They are super expensive. 4k model is 35k and it is the only one which has good readability and HDR.
Not all models have separate GPS unit. Also, A129 Duo Ultra has 4K & costs abt ₹25k.

Quote:
For 60 FPS Viofo seems to be the only option.
There are other models as well I think which support 60 fps at 1080p. DDPAI X5 Pro for one supports it, you can check that out.

Quote:
GPS on your dashcam is not accessible via your phone directly. It's used to tag videos by dashcam only. The app on your phone could just access GPS on your phone itself - why bother with the dashcam. You can check which permissions the app has on your phone. For example Viofo app doesn't need location permission, it just needs access to your storage so that you can download videos from dashcam.

But if you still want to, you can use an app like IFTT to set up an automation that whenever you connect to your dashcam wifi your mobile data would get turned off. That way you'll automatically go offline & won't have to remember doing so.

Quote:
Viofo app has the option to do so. Can't say about any other app.
amitgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 00:21   #4527
BHPian

Thank you everyone for the in depth knowledge. Just wondering can android stereo with front camera be used as dashcam? Have seen a couple of videos of android set ups with dual cannel camera.
Old 12th June 2023, 09:49   #4528
BHPian

Recently, I procured a Dashcam (Viofo A129 Duo). I'm yet to install it in the car. I have a few queries, hoping somebody experienced with use of Dashcam can answer them.

1. I received 2 electrostatic stickers along with the dashcam. If I understood the instructions correctly, the electrostatic stickers are first stuck on the windshield and then the dashcam goes on top of this sticker. Is this correct?

2. Also, what do you folks do when you leave the car for service? Do you leave the dashcam(s) in the car? Or do you remove them? If one has to remove them, which adhesive/sticker is peeled off? And what should be done to put the dashcam back after the service?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th June 2023, 11:42   #4529
BHPian

I've been reading this thread for some time now, but have got more confused, especially since I'm not a technical person per se. What I am looking for is a simple front-only dashcam that can see number plates at night and/or at higher speeds. For this, I understand I need the following features in the dashcam:
  • 60fps recording
  • 1080p or 2K (4K is overkill for me)
  • Some protection against heating up (Supercapacitor?)
  • A compatible 256GB or more SD card with operating temperatures that can withstand North Indian summers
  • Ability to attach a CPL filter
  • Going to use the cigarette port in my City for connecting - no hardwiring is preferred by me

Every other feature may not be a requirement for me, hence I narrowed down on this list. I think DDPAI / VoFio / Qubo are the main competitors that give a more budget-friendly option as well. Which model should I buy from these, that have my main feature set available in their product?

Found a guy in Gurgaon (Musicar - Gurgaon) who will install any dashcam I bring to him for a decent price (600 INR for single channel, 1,400 for uual channel). He recommends Qubo, but I prefer TeamBHP's opinion.
Old 12th June 2023, 14:32   #4530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
2. Also, what do you folks do when you leave the car for service? Do you leave the dashcam(s) in the car? Or do you remove them?
Some of the technicians seem to have concerns about the dashcam being on while they are at work, as I observed that it was unplugged from the socket by them (I use the 12v socket to power the dashcam). So before giving for service I unplug the dashcam myself and inform them regarding the same so that they do not fiddle around with it.

I remove the SD card, but never felt the need to remove the dashcam itself, before handing over.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks