Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2023, 18:31   #4591
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy_wheels View Post
Hey guys,

I have a question that hopefully someone here has already faced. I bought a Transcend DP 550 dashcam. I did the installation myself which turned out to be easy enough.

1) Any experience with CPL filters and if there is a significant improvement?
2) Any idea's or recommendations for CPL filters for Transcend DP550?
3) I see some generic one's available on Amazon, but not sure how to measure the lens size for this dashcam, so I can try to get one that fits?
I can answer #1. Having used CPL filter on my 70Mai PRO plus+ model, I can say that it makes a lot of difference in reducing the glare if installed correctly.

Don't know the answers to your other questions.
Aviator_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 12:24   #4592
BHPian

Looking to buy a basic dashcam for safety purposes. Had finalized DDPAI Mini which is retailing for around 3650 rupees on Amazon. But I can see they have another one listed as DDPAI Mini PRO, which is selling for 4500 rupees.

Sharing a screen grab from a Youtube video that compares the two dashcams.

Anyone using the Mini Pro? I know many are using the Mini version from past many years.

Which one should I go for?
Thanks.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot-20230706-122056.png

Old 6th July 2023, 13:37   #4593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSpymaster View Post
I'm inching closer to buying myself a Dashcam and have started to like the Mola N3 GPS (Front Only) for my use case. Pairing this with the CPL filter and a good 64GB memory card should work for me.

Had a few questions, happy if someone can answer:
  1. Though the page mentions it, I want to confirm if this DOES have the supercapacitor?
  2. What is the frame rate of the videos we get from the cam?
  3. Are there any loud audio cues we get from the cam? Or can it be silenced? (I'd like to to be a fix and forget solution)
  4. Does the video file we download from the cam (Whether via the app or laptop) have the speed/GPS overlay or is that an app-only thing?
  5. How has the app been working on your android phones?

Thanks!
On reading more, I'm getting a feeling that the Mini 5 is better with the extra cost for it? Worried mainly about the 4-5 points above and would love TeamBHP's inputs!
Old 7th July 2023, 11:21   #4594

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Looking to buy a basic dashcam for safety purposes. Had finalized DDPAI Mini which is retailing for around 3650 rupees on Amazon. But I can see they have another one listed as DDPAI Mini PRO, which is selling for 4500 rupees.

I am also confused about the same. There is also no comparison available regarding the DDAPAI app for both of these versions.
There were lots of issues with the app in earlier versions, as per YouTube reviews.

Kindly clarify if someone is using the above-mentioned models.
vishalpn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 14:13   #4595
Senior - BHPian

Anybody have any experience with Transcend 10? My old Transcend is rocking even after 6 years and am kinda feeling brand loyal now This retails for about 9K
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 22:52   #4596

Hey everyone, please suggest a good dash cam.

My budget is 15k at max. Preferably 2 channels. Should be able to view and download footage using a phone. I'm using an iPhone so iOS app should be decent. Should have a decent service network. Also would prefer to have Buffered Parking Mode.

I have been reading up on this thread and shortlisted the following ones.

If anybody has a better suggestion please do tell me.

Wolfbox i07
70mai pro plus a500s dual
Redtiger F7N 4k dual dash

Viofo a119 v3 - this is a single-channel one. Including this one since it was within the budget.

Didn’t include ddpai since I have heard that the iOS app was not up to mark.

Thank you.
Old 9th July 2023, 04:54   #4597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xSamurai View Post
My budget is 15k at max. Preferably 2 channels. Should be able to view and download footage using a phone. I'm using an iPhone so iOS app should be decent. Should have a decent service network. Also would prefer to have Buffered Parking Mode.

Wolfbox i07
70mai pro plus a500s dual
Redtiger F7N 4k dual dash
Wolfbox i07 is great, but doesn't have buffered parking mode. It has continuous recording and time lapse modes.
JoaTMoN is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 10:12   #4598

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaTMoN View Post
Wolfbox i07 is great but doesn't have buffered parking mode. It has continuous recording and time lapse modes.
Okay. Leaving aside buffered parking mode right now, since video quality and reliability are the main things. Is Wolfbox better than 70mai and Redtiger?
Old 10th July 2023, 13:09   #4599
BHPian

Quote:
Okay. Leaving aside buffered parking mode right now, since video quality and reliability are the main things. Is Wolfbox better than 70mai and Redtiger?
I can't comment on that as I haven't used the other two. I chose wolfbox for the following reasons:

1. I get 3 channel recordings for the price of 2.
2. Good reviews about the brand.
3. Easy installation.
4. Inbuilt display to quickly glance or change settings.
5. Hardwiring option available.

What I like are:
1. Built quality is great.
2. Comes with a branded microsd card.
3. Wiring is easy and adequate for a 7 seater suv.
4. Seller support was prompt.
5. Video quality is very good.

What I didn't like:
1. Unsure of service network pan India.
2. Buffered parking not available.
3. Like in almost all DVRs, licence plates of oncoming vehicles are not visible at night.

You can pick the right one for your specific requirements. You can't have the perfect device that does everything. In my opinion, a recording of the incident is more important than having a 4k image of the licence plates. In this day and age, the police can track the perpetrator from public CCTV images that are mostly 360 to 720p. We just need an evidence to defend ourselves in case of a mishap.
Old 12th July 2023, 12:41   #4600

Quote:
I can't comment on that as I haven't used the other two. I chose wolfbox for the following reasons:

1. I get 3 channel recordings for the price of 2.
2. Good reviews about the brand.
3. Easy installation.
Okay. I'm almost set on buying this. Like you said I don't think any dashcam under 20k can capture license plates at night.

I was struggling between Redtiger and Wolfbox. I was only considering 70mai because of its app. It seems to have a better mobile app. But it's li-ion battery based. So I was unsure.

A few more concerns.
  1. What is the max memory card capacity that I can use?
  2. Does it comes with a C port?

Thank you.
Old 12th July 2023, 13:02   #4601
BHPian

Quote:
Okay. I'm almost set on buying this. Like you said I don't think any dashcam under 20k can capture license plates at night.

I was struggling between Redtiger and Wolfbox. I was only considering 70mai because of its app. It seems to have a better mobile app. But it's li-ion battery based. So I was unsure.

A few more concerns.
  1. What is the max memory card capacity that I can use?
  2. Does it comes with a C port?

Thank you.
I wanted a dashcam that does not cling on to my IRVM, and the one that does not have a battery built in. With regards to app, it is pretty decent. There's no buttering when you playback on your device. All the controls are present both in the app and on the device.

To address your concerns:
  1. The suggested card capacity is 128 GB, but I read somewhere in a review that they were using 512 GB. I am using too, and it's working, although it shows the capacity as 128/512 available memory. An occasional error message pops up when I turn off the vehicle, saying, "the card is slow, please replace it". it still works, so I have left it that way.
  2. Yes, it does have USB type C port, and they also provide charger in case you don't want to hardwire it.

Last edited by JoaTMoN : 12th July 2023 at 13:04.
Old 12th July 2023, 20:07   #4602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted a dashcam that does not cling on to my IRVM, and the one that does not have a battery built in.
Pardon my ignorance, you might have explained this in some previous post. But - if the camera doesn't have any built-in battery - what about the timestamp on the video? Every time you start the car, you need to sync the date on the camera? Or the camera has a supercapacitor, instead of a "battery"?
Old 12th July 2023, 23:11   #4603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Pardon my ignorance, you might have explained this in some previous post. But - if the camera doesn't have any built-in battery - what about the timestamp on the video? Every time you start the car, you need to sync the date on the camera? Or the camera has a supercapacitor, instead of a "battery"?
Yes, it does have a supercapacitor. Moreover, as I've hardwired it, there's a constant power supply, until the car's battery goes down to a certain level, when the dashcam powers off to protect the battery.
Old 13th July 2023, 12:04   #4604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Most cameras have a Real-Time Clock (RTC) with a backup battery (some rechargeable, some the non-rechargeable variety) to keep the clock ticking even when the camera is unplugged or the car powered off. Similar to the "CMOS battery" in PCs.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-dashcam_batt.jpg
The "coin cell" towards the bottom in the pic of the circuit board is the backup battery
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 12:23   #4605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Most cameras have a Real-Time Clock (RTC) with a backup battery (some rechargeable, some the non-rechargeable variety) to keep the clock ticking even when the camera is unplugged or the car powered off.
In my DDDPAI mini dashcam - nearly 4 years old - the timestamp resumes from around 24 hours subsequent to the last time it was used, even when the car has not been used for several days in between. Synchronizing the dashcam clock using the mobile app is one solution, but this has to be done each time. The dashcam clock was working flawlessly till a few months back, and the dashcam works well in all other aspects except its clock now.

Any pointers to fix the issue? Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks