Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2023, 21:05   #4561
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
Hi Team
There's no team here. This isn't your office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
I am planning to get the Qubo Pro. I am getting it at almost half the price.

Pls recommend whether it's worth the money or simply a piece of junk?
If you don't have a higher budget, then go for it. If you have a higher budget, look for something else. In the end remember this - with cameras (dashcams & otherwise) - you get what you pay for because image sensors & lenses etc. cost money & its not possible to get high quality hardware at low price.
amitgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 21:26   #4562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
There's no team here. This isn't your office.
Er... the site's name is Team BHP.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 21:53   #4563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Er... the site's name is Team BHP.
touché

Good point & good observation.
amitgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 21:44   #4564

Hyundai ASC is selling Dashcam HMEB-300E which can be powered from Cabin Light, using some wire splitter. It comes with front and rear. Has anyone used it? Is it worth its price of 11K.
Old 21st June 2023, 22:12   #4565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav_in View Post
Hyundai ASC is selling Dashcam HMEB-300E which can be powered from Cabin Light, using some wire splitter. It comes with front and rear. Has anyone used it? Is it worth its price of 11K.
It seems to be Hyundai's own branded dashcam.

https://hyundaimobisin.com/products/...e/825/dash-cam

But installing it via wire splicing - seems like stone age technique in today's time. If you do go with it, make sure to get it in writing from them that your warranty will not be affected due to this.
Old 22nd June 2023, 14:24   #4566
BHPian

Hi there,
Looking for help with replacing dash cam.

I've currently got a dual dash cam installed by local accessories shop (the shop was highly recommended by a Tyre shop friend). The guy suggested it's a new product, at very low price, and he has not received any complaints from customers.

Well, soon after, I realized the rear camera is just 480P, which is practically totally useless. Then the rear mounting became lose, recording either sky or parcel tray. Then almost year later, the front camera mounting (screw and ball type) came lose and I've been having lot of trouble because of it, since.

First, due to lose mount, half the screen captures the car's dashboard. Second, due to shaking on speed breaker, it thinks, there is a collision and permanently stores the file. So I then have card filled with long list of speed breaker crossing footage. This fills the card and soon I start getting card full warning and the dash cam stops recording altogether. Also, due to all these 'accidental' videos consuming card space, I don't get any recordings older than a few minutes, that did not contain speed breaker jerks. These 2 things together render the dash cam useless.

Now, my need:
  1. I don't want to go through entire process of 'trying out' a good front+rear dash cam
  2. If possible, I prefer to just replace camera without changing existing wiring, so I can do it myself (I'm not a DIY person)
  3. If #2 is can't be done, I'd like to get some suggestions for a good product that I can get online and install easily myself
For point #2, the power cord is mini USB and rear camera slot is mini HDMI.

My requirement is,
  1. Both front and rear cameras should be as high res as possible
  2. (Especially front) lens should capture wide angle (140+)
  3. Should have strong, direct body mount type fixture; so it doesn't come lose over time
  4. Should support larger storage (256 or so)
  5. Should cost <15k
Please help me select good alternative.

Last edited by akshye : 22nd June 2023 at 14:28.
Old 22nd June 2023, 15:05   #4567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
Second, due to shaking on speed breaker, it thinks, there is a collision and permanently stores the file. So I then have card filled with long list of speed breaker crossing footage.
Does it happen on every speed breaker crossing? Or only when there's a bit of jerk to the car which usually is the case with either a bad speed breaker or if you cross one at a bit of a speed? Decent cameras come with settings which allow you to control the sensitivity. My dashcam locks video clips whenever I cross a speed breaker or a broken patch of road with a bit of speed. Its set to highest sensitivity I think - I'll need to decrease it probably. But then its just a matter of clearing out your locked files at the end of day or every other day depending on your car usage.

Quote:
If possible, I prefer to just replace camera without changing existing wiring, so I can do it myself (I'm not a DIY person)
That is quite unlikely & personally I would not recommend it either as every dashcam comes with its own kind of wiring & is tested to run with that. Its one thing to run same company's similar dashcam models off same wiring but other than that - totally not advised.

Quote:
Should support larger storage (256 or so)
It'll be quite difficult to get 256 GB support in your budget. Most dashcams < 15k top out at 128 GB support.

Per your requirements, DDPAI Z50 dual would be good. Its 16k (1k above your 15k requirement) but from what I've heard it does a pretty good job. Though it supports only upto 128 GB cards.
Old 22nd June 2023, 23:02   #4568
BHPian

Few (possibly basic) questions -
  1. Why do most dash cams have bad or no rear camera? I feel I'm more likely to be rear ended by a bad driver, than me bumping into someone. I felt rear recording is more important. Is there a reason front dashcam is preferred?
  2. Is is possible to use cars rear cam to connect to a recording device? Sounds like a plausible and good idea (asking for a Octavia in my case).
  3. I like the compact form factor and reviews of this model "Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2". Is it possible and a good idea to install two of these, one at front and one at back?

On a separate topic, are are options to add cameras to side view mirrors too and feed it to phone or in car display?

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd June 2023 at 16:53. Reason: Missing capitalization and punctuation marks. Thanks.
speedracer05 is online now   Received Infraction
Old 22nd June 2023, 23:39   #4569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer05 View Post
Why do most dash cams have bad or no rear camera? I feel im more likely to be rear ended by a bad driver, than me bumping into someone. I felt rear recording is more important. Is there a reason front dashcam is preferred?
Its the other cars responsibility to keep safe distance from you and avoid rear ending, unless you are reversing and hit a car behind (which can be proven with front camera recording it’s self.) The aim of front camera is to save your own skin.
Quote:
Is is possible to use cars rear cam to connect to a recording device? Sounds like a plausible and good idea
Yes it is possible with few android stereos to record from rear cam continuously. Else reverse camera is active only when we put reverse.
Quote:
I like the compact form factor and reviews of this model "Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2". Is it possible and a good idea to install two of these, one at front and one at back?
Why not but powering a rear camera can be a challenge in few cars (absence of rear usb port)

Quote:
on a separate topic, are options to add cameras to side view mirrors too and feed it to phone or in car display?
Better to have a 360 degree camera setup then. I guess few have recording function too.
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 10:54   #4570
Senior - BHPian

The amount of time it takes to download videos from a DDPAI Z40 while connected to wifi is extremely long. How do you guys manage to do this regularly? I also think you cannot download the videos while the car is in motion as the recording stops the moment you try to download. Is the only faster way to do this is to remove the SD card and do it on a laptop?
Old 23rd June 2023, 11:28   #4571
BHPian

Quote:
Does it happen on every speed breaker crossing?
I did not do detailed analysis, but I think it's only on major bumps. And this has started since the mounting came lose. It wasn't an issue earlier.

Quote:
It'll be quite difficult to get 256 GB support in your budget. Most dashcams < 15k top out at 128 GB support.
I was also looking at a 3 channel device, which costs ~17k, but that too has support for 128 only. With added channel (all 3 @1080) it would be much inadequate than 1 or 2 channel device.
Old 23rd June 2023, 12:08   #4572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Is the only faster way to do this is to remove the SD card and do it on a laptop?
There are SD card readers available for mobile phones as well. So is that is convenient you can get one of those as well.

Quote:
I was also looking at a 3 channel device, which costs ~17k, but that too has support for 128 only. With added channel (all 3 @1080) it would be much inadequate than 1 or 2 channel device.
3-channel dashcams are generally of use to commercial vehicles (taxis etc.) or if you are a vlogger. For normal use case 2 channel setup is more than adequate.
Old 23rd June 2023, 12:36   #4573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are SD card readers available for mobile phones as well. So is that is convenient you can get one of those as well.

This would still mean that you remove the SD card from the camera, right?
Old 23rd June 2023, 14:26   #4574
BHPian

My apologies in advance if this has been answered before.

Which set up is better? One dual channel dashcam or two seperate (front and rear) dashcams?

My understanding is that for a dual channel one, one has to provide a signal cable from front to back (or are do they talk wirelessly?). If the main unit dies due to ANY reason the back wouldn't work as well; correct? Lets say if the car boot has an independent power socket, would it make sense to just go for a independent setup? Any pointer here would be very helpful. Thank you.
Old 23rd June 2023, 16:19   #4575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
My apologies in advance if this has been answered before.

Which set up is better? One dual channel dashcam or two seperate (front and rear) dashcams?

My understanding is that for a dual channel one, one has to provide a signal cable from front to back (or are do they talk wirelessly?). If the main unit dies due to ANY reason the back wouldn't work as well; correct? Lets say if the car boot has an independent power socket, would it make sense to just go for a independent setup? Any pointer here would be very helpful. Thank you.
If you have luxury of a separate power source at the rear and you don't mind tracking 2 different cams, then by all means, separate setup would work out better.

Dual channel cams needs to be interconnected via cable and one has to run the cable to the rear (and take effort to tuck in properly). Advantage is that videos from front and back are available in the same app. Secondly, this set up might be more cost effective than independent ones (AFAIK).
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks