Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2023, 19:10   #4576
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
I was also looking at a 3 channel device, which costs ~17k, but that too has support for 128 only. With added channel (all 3 @1080) it would be much inadequate than 1 or 2 channel device.
I have installed a 512 GB card in my wolfbox i07 based on a comment from another user. It showed as something like available memory 128/512GB. The card hasn't filled up to 128 GB though, when I'd know if it would record beyond 128 GB. The other user said it worked for him.
JoaTMoN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 19:41   #4577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
This would still mean that you remove the SD card from the camera, right?
If your dashcam wifi is slow or video files are big then yes removing SD card is the only faster option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
Which set up is better? One dual channel dashcam or two seperate (front and rear) dashcams?
Depends on your definition of better. Some people use a dual channel dashcam, some people use 2 independent units.

Quote:
My understanding is that for a dual channel one, one has to provide a signal cable from front to back (or are do they talk wirelessly?).
Its a wired connection.

Quote:
If the main unit dies due to ANY reason the back wouldn't work as well; correct?
Yes
amitgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 11:51   #4578
BHPian

Thank you @aviator_guy and @amitgupta for your inputs. If you may, I have an another important query regarding recording options on a dashcam.

Imagine you're incapacitated after an unfortunate crash and didn't get the time to collect the memory card/dashcam from the car. And due to any reason (theft/misplace/etc) you loose the footage; are there any dashcam that load the videos to a cloud automatically?

Just read a thread on the front page on our forum where someone witnessed theft after a crash and others mentioned how the've lost items from their crashed vehicle. This makes me think that it would be better to have the camera upload the crash footage directly to a cloud for future usage. Are there any models that do this?

Thank you.
Old 24th June 2023, 23:41   #4579
BHPian

Quote:
Imagine you're incapacitated after an unfortunate crash and didn't get the time to collect the memory card/dashcam from the car. And due to any reason (theft/misplace/etc) you loose the footage; are there any dashcam that load the videos to a cloud automatically?
Yes there are. I think BlackVue has some models & there are others as well. I'm not very familiar with these.
Old 29th June 2023, 20:45   #4580

Anyone tried using a GoPro as dashcam? Anything above hero 7 black and newer should give excellent video quality, right?
Old 30th June 2023, 22:50   #4581
BHPian

I am planning to buy a dashcam for my Brezza ZXI+.
I narrowed down to DDPAI Mola N3.
I went through most of the reviews in this thread for last few months, I didn't see any reviews done on DDPAI Mola N3, though people commented good on DDPAI mini and Z40. Hope this one will be of similar build quality (with +/- features specific to this model). Will highly appreciate any feedback from anybody using this particular model.
I took too long to decide to go for dashcam, as I was trying to avoid Chinese products, but finally gave up on that restriction. I am still not too sure of DIY installation, as maruti service center refused to install it.

Reason to choose this one -
1. Reasonably low cost.
2. I need only front camera, as do not want to mess up with side airbags in wiring. I may install separate rear camera later powered by rear USB ports.
3. I got disillusioned with Indian models for dashcams as Nexdigitron is building on Chinese models only, and lost trust with Qubo for falsifying features in Amazon (claiming super capacitor, though it has Li ion battery).
4. Super capacitor based.
5. Reasonably good 2K resolution.
6. Has added GPS capability.

Few questions -
1. Does it work with 12V socket, or can I use 12v to USB adapter? Since USB port is used for phone charging, so want to utilize free 12V socket.
2. Is it mandatory to use Strontium Nitro or Samsung Evo SD cards only as the product recommends in Amazon? Also Amazon reviews mention it works fine with 64GB cards, but 128GB card gives issue with app when full. Is it true?
3. Does the app work seamlessly or gives glitches as mentioned by Amazon reviewers?
bivision is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 16:22   #4582

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
Placed the order. Let's see.
Hi - Can this dashcam be powered using the car's usb port?
My car's (Taigun) 12V plug has continuous power supply even in switch off mode, hence looking for something which can be powered by usb c port.

Thanks

Last edited by libranof1987 : 2nd July 2023 at 16:49. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
Old 2nd July 2023, 20:11   #4583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosaur View Post
Can this dashcam be powered using the car's usb port?
My car's (Taigun) 12V plug has continuous power supply even in switch off mode, hence looking for something which can be powered by usb c port.
Possibly yes as the camera's power cable has USB port & it comes with a adapter for 12V port. So you should be able to instead plug it in USB port directly. Its power cable has a USB-A port, so you will need a converter to use with USB-C port if that is what you have in your car.
Old 3rd July 2023, 10:18   #4584
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to do a factory reset on my DDPAI Mini dashcam. The user manual shows where the button is located but omits detailed steps. Would be grateful if anyone could help with additional details, including:
  • Should the button be pressed when the dashcam is powered on, or off?
  • Is a long-press needed to activate factory reset? If yes, how long?
Old 4th July 2023, 18:15   #4585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMerchant View Post
Using 70mai Pro Plus+ only the front cam and that too in 12v socket
Hi @ACMerchant, can you please guide me on how the wiring is done from A-pillar bottom to under the dashboard? For trial, I did a dummy wiring through left (front facing) side of A-pillar, but then looks like I have to keep the wire exposed on the right side of the dashboard and then go to bottom by the side of the door. Is there any better way, without removing A-pillar? Picture attached showing my dummy wiring and exposed wire below A-pillar.The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-dashcam_wiring_apiller_to_dashboard.jpeg
Old 4th July 2023, 19:26   #4586

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivision View Post
1. Does it work with 12V socket, or can I use 12v to USB adapter? Since USB port is used for phone charging, so want to utilize free 12V socket.
Yes you can use the Car Charger which comes with the Dash Cam in the 12V Socket. And the installation is easy if you are using the Car Charger. You just need to place the camera in correct position. And guide the wire neatly.
Quote:
2. Is it mandatory to use Strontium Nitro or Samsung Evo SD cards only as the product recommends in Amazon? Also Amazon reviews mention it works fine with 64GB cards, but 128GB card gives issue with app when full. Is it true?
Use only the recommended SD Cards. I am using Stronium Nitro 64 GB for my DDPAI Mini Dash Cam. And it is working good. I don't know about the 128 GB card issue.
Quote:
3. Does the app work seamlessly or gives glitches as mentioned by Amazon reviewers?
The App works good but sometimes the footage freezes. Particularly when the camera heats up in summers. Other than that the App works good. I am using DDPAI Mini so that might be the reason for the lag. I also recommend using a Card Reader for transferring and viewing Dashcam footage on computer.
cartrail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 00:24   #4587
BHPian

Quote:
Hi @ACMerchant, can you please guide me on how the wiring is done from A-pillar bottom to under the dashboard? For trial, I did a dummy wiring through left (front facing) side of A-pillar, but then looks like I have to keep the wire exposed on the right side of the dashboard and then go to bottom by the side of the door. Is there any better way, without removing A-pillar? Picture attached showing my dummy wiring and exposed wire below A-pillar.Attachment 2471570
From the front dash cam use the tool to push in the wire till the A Pillar. Now slowly pull the rubber door lining downwards taking care not to pull the whole but a small section near the A pillar and then you need to pull out the white plastic of the A pillar an push in the wire. Snap the plastic back shut and then passing the wire again re fix the rubber door lining properly. Now you need to pull out the glove compartment and pass the wire behind it and then to the 12 volt outlet next to the mobile charger.

Since you are based in Bangalore kindly contact Bhpian @VIZ (post #727 in 2022 Maruti Brezza Review) as he has got it done at the dealer and might guide you.

Last edited by ACMerchant : 5th July 2023 at 00:33. Reason: Adding extra
ACMerchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 13:04   #4588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSpymaster View Post
So I'm motivated to buy a dashcam and get it installed. I worry about the self installation since I'm not a technical person myself. I'm reading that some units come with hardwire kits and some do not.

So, has anyone done a self installation using the cig point themselves on a Honda City 5G? (Not looking to attach to the fuse box, need it only while driving)

Or has anyone got the installation done in Gurgaon / South Delhi from a dealer / accessory shop?
I'm inching closer to buying myself a Dashcam and have started to like the Mola N3 GPS (Front Only) for my use case. Pairing this with the CPL filter and a good 64GB memory card should work for me.

Had a few questions, happy if someone can answer:
  1. Though the page mentions it, I want to confirm if this DOES have the supercapacitor?
  2. What is the frame rate of the videos we get from the cam?
  3. Are there any loud audio cues we get from the cam? Or can it be silenced? (I'd like to to be a fix and forget solution)
  4. Does the video file we download from the cam (Whether via the app or laptop) have the speed/GPS overlay or is that an app-only thing?
  5. How has the app been working on your android phones?

Thanks!
Old 5th July 2023, 13:28   #4589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Wanted to do a factory reset on my DDPAI Mini dashcam. The user manual shows where the button is located but omits detailed steps. Would be grateful if anyone could help with additional details, including:
  • Should the button be pressed when the dashcam is powered on, or off?
  • Is a long-press needed to activate factory reset? If yes, how long?
To reset, insert SIM ejector tool in reset hole. Press and hold for 15 second until dashcam reboots. Do this while dashcam is powered.

Quote:
Hi @ACMerchant, can you please guide me on how the wiring is done from A-pillar bottom to under the dashboard? For trial, I did a dummy wiring through left (front facing) side of A-pillar, but then looks like I have to keep the wire exposed on the right side of the dashboard and then go to bottom by the side of the door. Is there any better way, without removing A-pillar? Picture attached showing my dummy wiring and exposed wire below A-pillar.Attachment 2471570
Cross over the A pillar at the top. It’s not possible to do it at the base. Check the pictures below

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_0958.jpeg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_0959.jpeg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_0960.jpeg

Hope this helps
bravo82in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 18:23   #4590
BHPian

Hey guys,

I have a question that hopefully someone here has already faced. I bought a Transcend DP 550 dashcam. I did the installation myself which turned out to be easy enough.

Fortunately (at least IMO) my vehicle (Virtus) has power supply in the 12v socket even when car is off, so I dont need to hardwire it. I know it can lead to battery drain, but it is convenient for me because I dont need the recording all the time, there are safe spots (for example society has cctv) where I just keep it unplugged but it gives me the flexibility to leave it connected when I park the vehicle at other spots. I was not inclined to get it hardwired, and void the warranty, so this is a good option for me. Also, I have left it connected at a stretch for 2-3 days, without any battery issues, which suggests it doesn't take up a lot of power.

So coming to my issue, I haven't been able to figure out a good CPL filter for this dashcam. There is some glare from the windshield and dashboard and I was thinking a CPL filter might help. So here are my doubts :-

1) Any experience with CPL filters and if there is a significant improvement?
2) Any idea's or recommendations for CPL filters for Transcend DP550?
3) I see some generic one's available on Amazon, but not sure how to measure the lens size for this dashcam, so I can try to get one that fits?

Thank you for any suggestions you may have!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks