Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2022, 11:35   #3916
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post

So far have not noticed missing video in my cam yet, possible that it happens in random. But for missing initial video there could be an explanation. Like in my case, it takes almost 15 sec for the camera to start recording, so if I start the car and immediately leave, in my cam it is always that I am out of parking (in that 15 sec). This recording startup time depends on SD card size and quality I guess. It comes down to some 5-7 second when I use 64gb card, 15 sec when I use 256gb card (both are Samsung Evo select). And normally the last video is not always 3 minute, depending on when car ignition switches off.
Asked my wife if she heard "Battery Low..Connect to Charger" or something from the cam and she told it happened couple of times while she was driving. So yes, the charger was loose in the power socket. I was also using some other charger and not the one which was supplied by them. Now I have used theirs and will be checking today if still the issue persists.
Old 1st April 2022, 19:40   #3917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
Note that each brand may need their own hardwire kit for full functionality like parking surveillance.
More thanks. I have ordered the Transcend hardwire kits (instead of the brand-mismatched one that I mentioned in a previous post) from Amazon US.

For those who might be in the same boat:

For DP200 & DP220: https://www.transcend-info.com/produ...cable-mini-usb

For DP230 & DP250: https://www.transcend-info.com/produ...able-micro-usb

(My two cars have DP220 & DP230, so I ordered one of each).
Old 3rd April 2022, 12:31   #3918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
This is the card I have :
'Samsung EVO Plus 128GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 100MB/s Full HD & 4K UHD Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MC128HA)'
Recently I bought a 70mai A800s, got it connected, now I have a distortion problem. See the video at 00:04, 00:09, 00:17 etc.
  • This happens only after driving for some time not at the beginning. I am guessing because it is getting hot.
  • It doesn't happen for back camera.
  • I tried change the video quality setting to 'Low Compression'. The problem is much less prominent, but its still there.
I spoke to the folks from nexdigitron, they said this is possibly because the SD card is not of good quality. The one I am using is the exact Samsung one that is quoted above. They recommended switching to one of these: https://www.nexdigitron.com/collections/memory-cards. It seems the Strontium Endurance one is better suited for hot climate.

Does anyone has any experience with these SD cards? Any other ideas behind the problem?

Video:
Old 4th April 2022, 10:21   #3919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopelias View Post
Recently I bought a 70mai A800s, got it connected, now I have a distortion problem
You are using standard SD cards which many people are using, thus, it does not look to be a suspect. To check for the card you can use any disk utility to do a low level scan and reformat, this way, any bad areas within the card will be identified and accordingly marked.

Did you try swapping the the memory cards between these cameras? If this card works properly on the other camera, then the suspected SD card isn't to be blamed. However, while it is being done, make sure, both cameras have identical resolution of video recording configured.

From the shared video, it looks like the greying happens whenever vehicle moved over relatively larger pothole and if that is so, it has do some internal connections within that device. Following is the list of seconds from the beginning when greying is observed -

03, 09, 16, 20, 24, 26, 35

There isn't clear pattern to it, so does not look like something related to incompatibility of SD card.
waypoint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 11:16   #3920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopelias View Post
Recently I bought a 70mai A800s, got it connected, now I have a distortion problem. See the video at 00:04, 00:09, 00:17 etc.
  • This happens only after driving for some time not at the beginning. I am guessing because it is getting hot.
  • It doesn't happen for back camera.
  • I tried change the video quality setting to 'Low Compression'. The problem is much less prominent, but its still there.
I spoke to the folks from nexdigitron, they said this is possibly because the SD card is not of good quality. The one I am using is the exact Samsung one that is quoted above. They recommended switching to one of these: https://www.nexdigitron.com/collections/memory-cards. It seems the Strontium Endurance one is better suited for hot climate.

Does anyone has any experience with these SD cards? Any other ideas behind the problem?

Video:
https://Youtu.be/i3z9LnTAED4
I have noted some random pixalation (if there is a term like that) and going by your post, it might be caused by over heating? Not sure. If anyone else has faced similar issue pls share your feedback.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 13:05   #3921
Senior - BHPian

I am buying a Blackvue 2-CH for the Crysta

Can I use the Street Guardian as a rear-only on the Honda (I have a Viofo in the front)?

ANy issues I should watch out for? THe street guardian is finicky - apparently the super capacitor & internal battery are both kaput

Last edited by sridhu : 4th April 2022 at 13:22.
Old 13th April 2022, 10:13   #3922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Background : I am already having Viofo A119S V2 GPS (1080p 60fps) as front dashcam for last four years... Now want to add rear cam as well...

First Option : Buy independent second A119 V2 GPS (1440p 30fps) cam and install it at front and move the current A119S to rear.
Cost: A119 V2 GPS + CPL + 128GB SD Card + USB extension cable = $80 + $15 + $50 + $17= $162 (approx. INR 12,960)

Second Option : Buy dual channel A129 Pro Duo Ultra GPS (4k 30fps + 1080p 60fps, better image sensor, dual band Wi-Fi) and keep the current one as spare...
Cost: A129 Pro Duo Ultra GPS + CPL x 2 = $250 + $30 = $280 (approx. INR 22,400)

Confusion in my mind :
3. Better image sensor is preferred
4. existing dashcam is already aged 4 years, if it fails in near-future, I am back to same conundrum
Finally, after lot of pondering, opted for second option, but with only one CPL. Costed $263.

Now, have to plan install process, routing wire to the rear glass.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 17:42   #3923
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, after lot of pondering, opted for second option, but with only one CPL. Costed $263.

Now, have to plan install process, routing wire to the rear glass.
Excellent choice. I have the same dashcam with a CPL on the front camera and it works like a charm!

My personal favorite feature is the "Caution" button which will lock the current video from being overwritten. So you can capture all those squids doing their shenanigans, tailgaters being aggressive etc. even if the G-sensors don't pick it up!

I did the install myself on my XUV300, so if you have any question please feel free to DM. I was planning on putting up a thread but seeing that there are quite a few already on the same subject I did not bother to add another thread.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 13th April 2022 at 17:43.
Old 13th April 2022, 22:40   #3924
BHPian

I own a Skoda Rapid, so you know how important the warranty is for me. I still have 5 years of warranty left on the car.

Today, I called my dealer up to check with him if they have Dashcams. They only had a DVR (did not clearly explain what is the difference) and quoted an amount which felt a little on higher side.

So, I asked him if I can get a dashcam of my own and set it up from outside and if that would void any warranty. He mentioned that if there are any electrical/wiring issues in future, then it can be attributed to the Dashcam and warranty might get voided in such case. Is this true or he is just saying that so I end up making the purchase from him?
Old 14th April 2022, 03:44   #3925
BHPian

Quote:
Please do update this thread after using it in 4K. Read a lot about its overheating issues. Since we're in a tropical country, chances of overheating are much higher here. $263? Mind sharing your location? If its India, please do share the link from where you bought. It retails for 24K without any add ons. So after memory card and CPL, it'd be almost 29K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Excellent choice. I have the same dashcam with a CPL on the front camera and it works like a charm!

so if you have any question please feel free to DM. I was planning on putting up a thread but seeing that there are quite a few already on the same subject I did not bother to add another thread.
How much did you pay for it, sir? Mind sharing the source? Also, please update about any overheating issues if you are using it in 4K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
So, I asked him if I can get a dashcam of my own and set it up from outside and if that would void any warranty. He mentioned that if there are any electrical/wiring issues in future, then it can be attributed to the Dashcam and warranty might get voided in such case. Is this true or he is just saying that so I end up making the purchase from him?
If and when you face any electrical issue, before sending your car to service centre just remove the dashcam. Btw, If you hardwire it properly I don't think you'd face any electrical issue. Warranty is usually voided when there is any alteration in OEM wiring.

Last edited by batish : 14th April 2022 at 03:51.
Old 14th April 2022, 09:12   #3926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
I own a Skoda Rapid,

If you plan to use 12v socket and no hard wiring then there is absolutely no warranty issue whatsoever. Just confirm that Rapid 12v socket turns off when the car is turned off. In some cars, the 12 v socket remains always on which might drain the battery with dashcam plugged in when the car is parked for long time. If that's the case with Rapid, then you might need to unplug dashcam every time you switch off the car.

Dealers normally charge high and also have very limited choices. You can simply buy a cam from outside and DIY. There are lots of youtube videos and also reveiws here in the forum for reference.
If not comfortable, you take help of a professional at any car accessories shop to tuck the wires inside panels/behind glove box for cleaner look.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 14th April 2022 at 09:25.
Old 14th April 2022, 10:41   #3927
BHPian

I’ve finally bought a Viofo A119 v3 dashcam for my Swift. I want to get it installed with hardwiring. Does anyone know any good mechanics who do this in Mumbai? Western suburbs preferred but I’m okay with doing a little further away too if the mechanic is known to do a good job.
Old 14th April 2022, 11:46   #3928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I’ve finally bought a Viofo A119 v3 dashcam for my Swift. I want to get it installed with hardwiring. Does anyone know any good mechanics who do this in Mumbai? Western suburbs preferred but I’m okay with doing a little further away too if the mechanic is known to do a good job.
I don't have any trusted shop but most car accessory shops can mostly do it. I am in Borivali (West) so only suggestions I have is 5-6 shops in line on Link Road between the Don Bosco and Shimpoli Metro stations.

Other option is multiple shops in line just opposite the Gokul Hotel (towards Bhagwati Hospital side).
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 12:45   #3929
BHPian

This thread is simply too big and impossible to go through in full.
I am looking for a front and rear dash camera for my Tata Altroz. Budget is about 8000 to 10000.
Can some one summarize the points to be kept in mind while buying? or some one suggest a model straightaway? Preferably non Chinese.

Any view on D201 Dash Camera by Safecams ?
Old 14th April 2022, 14:46   #3930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
This thread is simply too big and impossible to go through in full.
I am looking for a front and rear dash camera for my Tata Altroz. Budget is about 8000 to 10000.
Can some one summarize the points to be kept in mind while buying? or some one suggest a model straightaway? Preferably non Chinese.

Any view on D201 Dash Camera by Safecams ?
When you say Non-Chinese, I guess you don't want random generic brands that just slap their label on generic dashcam. In that case, check the ones listed here...

https://www.nexdigitron.com/collecti...hannel-dashcam

Many people including myself here own "70MAI A500S PRO PLUS+ DUAL CHANNEL DASHCAM" and are satisfied with it. I have limited experience with it as I attached to my car just 2 weeks back but it is good.

One more renowned brand not listed above is Voifo and you can see their products here..

https://viofo.in/

Don't worry if some show out of stock. There is a guy named Vijay whose number we have who is from the Voifo India and official distributor and can supply the dashcams. Voifo are more expensive than the ones listed above.
May people here own Voifo and even my brother has Voifo A129 Duo in his car.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks