Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2022, 11:47   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz ZX CVT | Practical family city hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Update:

Ottocast CarPlay Wireless Adapter for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars; Model U2-NOW.

There is absolutely zero-lag while operating any application on the Car-Play. Audio quality while playing music drops by about 25%, which is acceptable.

Device itself is very lite and small, about the size of a visiting card and can be easily accommodated on the dash. It gets slightly warm even after continuous usage.

Both the activities were DIY and took about half a day to complete. Wireless Apple Carplay and Wireless Mobile Charger adds to the convenience and this completes all planned upgrades!

Cheers!
First of all, congratulations on a job very neatly done! The end result is super clean and well thought out - no loose ends, nothing shabby.

I do have a question about the sound quality. 25% drop in audio quality sounds like a major drop (to me anyway), is that because of the particular unit or it should be expected of any such device? I am looking at Motorola MA1 for my car which is a bit cheaper than this unit here and has great reviews but didn't see audio quality drop being mentioned in reviews. Did you also consider AAWireless unit? That one seems like a good contender for MA1. Thanks for the idea though (magnetic hold) and the brand name. I wasn't aware of this particular brand/model.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 14:14   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
First of all, congratulations on a job very neatly done! The end result is super clean and well thought out - no loose ends, nothing shabby.
Thanks!

Quote:
I do have a question about the sound quality. 25% drop in audio quality sounds like a major drop (to me anyway), is that because of the particular unit or it should be expected of any such device?
When I started using the device, there was perceivable difference in sound quality with respect to that of the previous wired connection. Initially I thought that the difference was due to the wireless adapter, as these devices in general do not have a "Pass through" and have there own circuitry which sort-of influences the audio output.

Later, when I was fiddling around with the Alpine Infotainment settings, I released that during the installation process, the audio preset which was earlier set to "Classic" had been automatically reset to "Flat" (Factory default of the Alpine Infotainment system is "Flat"). This was the main reason for the audio quality drop; it was sounding "Flat" actually.

I re-tuned the the audio preset and selected appropriate volume levels for Radio, USB Music, Telephone, Carplay., etc and now the system is back to normal.

Sorry for the confusion!

Quote:
I am looking at Motorola MA1 for my car which is a bit cheaper than this unit here and has great reviews but didn't see audio quality drop being mentioned in reviews.
Motorola MA1 is supposed to be the best wireless adapter for Android Auto. It being cheaper is only an added advantage. I would have closed my eyes and bought it if I was using an Android phone. Going by the reviews, there should not be perceivable difference in audio quality either.

Ottocast is a reliable brand and has many users. They also have an adaptor for the Android users. It is expensive though! Link: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Did you also consider AAWireless unit? That one seems like a good contender for MA1.
I had looked at it. But between AA Wireless and Motorola MA1, I would prefer the later simply because of the brand.

My criteria for selection was as under in the same order of preference:

1. Connection should be simple / automatic / seem-less and should not drop during usage, prompting for a reboot / reset.

2. Device should not heat-up abnormally during operation.

3. Touch lag should be minimum / non-existing.

4. Good feedback from more number of customers (4 stars from 1000 users is better that 5 stars from 10 users).

5. Latest model with updated hardware / new processor so that the lag is eliminated.

From the reviews, I got to understand 2 things:

1. It is better to go with a device supporting only one among the Android Auto or Apple Carplay, depending on what is required. This way, the UI will be clean and simple with minimum bugs resulting in much stable connection.

2. Apple Carplay connection is much bug-free and stable that Android Auto. App integration and Flow of things are also better with Apple Carplay.

Quote:
Thanks for the idea though (magnetic hold) and the brand name. I wasn't aware of this particular brand/model.
Welcome!

This is a better one! - Link: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 20:07   #63

Quote:
Update:

Cheers!
Congratulations! That's a neat job!
I've ordered the Ottocast Picasou 2 AI box and it seems to be stuck in customs.

My XL6 has Carplay and Android Auto, but it's wired and I don't want the hassle of connecting my cell phone to wires every time I get seated in the car.

Picasou 2 seems to accept its own 4G sim and has it's on GPS module for navigation - It basically acts like a cellphone permanently connected to your car.
pardeep31live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 21:03   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

This is a simple Plug & Play device which converts wired CarPlay to wireless. Installation takes about 10 minutes. Instructions are simple to follow and are provided along with the product. Wireless integration is seamless and auto-connects each time within about 30 seconds once the ignition is turned-on.
How does the device behave (prioritize?) in case there are more than one paired iPhones in the vehicle? Is there an option to select which one to connect to for the given driving session?
Old 17th October 2022, 22:30   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardeep31live View Post
Congratulations! That's a neat job!
Thanks!

Quote:
I've ordered the Ottocast Picasou 2 AI box
Cool !

Quote:
Picasou 2 seems to accept its own 4G sim and has it's on GPS module for navigation - It basically acts like a cellphone permanently connected to your car.
That is excellent! Do let’s know your experience once you receive it.

I had actually thought about connecting a cell phone permanently. In fact it is a cheaper option too.

But it has a few drawbacks like the google map destination cannot be migrated on to the infotainment screen easily and also, it can’t be used as a remote control. 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
How does the device behave (prioritize?) in case there are more than one paired iPhones in the vehicle? Is there an option to select which one to connect to for the given driving session?
1. We can choose the default phone (from the list of paired ones) to be connected.

2. While booting up, if there are more then one paired phone in the vicinity, device will list all of them and ask us to select the required phone to be connected. If we do not make a choice within the next 5 secs, it will go ahead and connect the default phone automatically.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 23:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Later, when I was fiddling around with the Alpine Infotainment settings, I released that during the installation process, the audio preset which was earlier set to "Classic" had been automatically reset to "Flat" (Factory default of the Alpine Infotainment system is "Flat"). This was the main reason for the audio quality drop; it was sounding "Flat" actually.

I re-tuned the the audio preset and selected appropriate volume levels for Radio, USB Music, Telephone, Carplay., etc and now the system is back to normal.

Sorry for the confusion!
Incredibly helpful response. This puts my mind at ease. Thanks for all the links and tip that dedicated units might better than two in one (Apple and Android). We are staunch Android users, makes sense to stick to AA units.

I am still leaning towards Motorola unit even they have increased the price by $10 in last few months. It now retails at $99 but at least you can buy them. Earlier these were out of stock always/sold out within minutes.
The Ottocast unit has hefty discounts and after discount goes for about $89 on Amazon. The expensive models are still priced higher than Moto unit though.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 22:40   #67
BHPian

Dear Chethan - Congratulations on your Jazz purchase. I have to ask you the same question as many would have asked : Didn't the end of model and probably end of Jazz itself in 3-6 months bother you?

I am asking you because I am facing the same dilemma here in Mumbai. I am looking for a safe, reliable, family hatchback but as a 2nd car with <11 L budget. I am forced to look at the i10/i20/Maruti's but the heart tugs towards the Jazz for it's CVT and 4-Star safety.

The i10 AMT feels jerky and confused around hilly Bandra; the i20 has CVT but somehow doesn't feel very safe for a family hatch. I gave up on Maruti after the wifey vetoed the Baleno.
While I might book the i20, I am hoping that I find a very sweet deal on the Jazz or I find a Honda-certified used Jazz.

Should I call the multiple Honda dealers around Mumbai to find a good deal on Jazz? Also, what help did you ask from TBHP Redline? Can I use the same channels to find a Jazz :-)?
VPJ74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 13:43   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
Dear Chethan - Congratulations on your Jazz purchase.
Thanks!

Quote:
Didn't the end of model and probably end of Jazz itself in 3-6 months bother you?
Not really. " End of product" comes at-least 10 years before "End of service" under international terms for most manufacturers. Honda being known for product quality and services, support customers well past 10-15 years in terms of spare parts availability and support.

As I liked the Car in terms of safety / build quality / ride / handling, there was no reason to worry about anything and therefore, I was comfortable with the decision.

Quote:
Should I call the multiple Honda dealers around Mumbai to find a good deal on Jazz?
I honestly do not think it helps. At best, you may get the color + the variant you like in time.

But nothing wrong in trying.

Quote:
Also, what help did you ask from TBHP Redline?
As he owned Honda cars in his family since a long long time, I sought his help in understanding the mindset of Honda dealers in order to prepare myself for negotiation. It helped a great deal.

All the best! Drive safe!
Chethan B G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 11:25   #69
BHPian

Can anyone please help me understand why would Honda Jazz not provide rear headrests? This safety feature was present in earlier versions of the Jazz so it makes it all the more puzzling.

Frankly, I think it is arrogant and callous of Honda to simply remove this feature for Indian buyers while it is offered elsewhere.

Have any TBHPians modified their rear car seat to install rear headrests? Is there any way to do this?
Old 21st December 2022, 16:31   #70

Really excellent thread. After reading each and every post in this Thread, I have gone ahead with Honda ZX CVT ( Red ).
Special Thanks to Chethan B G Sir for sharing the detailed review.
vamsi_k_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 22:25   #71

Quote:
Update:

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B94QFVJ...t_details&th=1

[
This is cool !

Did you order from Amazon.com directly ? Does it attract any customs duty ?
Old 7th January 2023, 15:56   #72
BHPian

Quote:

LED headlamps and LED fog lamps: LED headlamp primarily has three segments; one is used for high beam and the other two are used for low beam. But these are not the projector type and therefore the throw is about average, but the spread is quite good. Fog lamps have good spread too.

One issue with these white light LED headlamps / LED fog lamps is that the visibility becomes poor under rainy / foggy conditions. I wish at-least the fog lamps were with yellow light; will have to get it changed at some point of time, if required.
Hi Chethan,

Did you consider changing the fog lamps? I think ZX folks are fortunate to have got fog lamp slots, something I am sorely missing on my Jazz VX now. I have been after Honda for almost 2 months, they have been flatly refusing to address this issue saying "Nothing can be done". Off late, I have got a very tempting offer to get ZX fog lamp assembly in my VX: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post5470221 (Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades). If this works, I am keen to get this accessory installed, discarding the DRLs housed there. I am then planning to buy IPH M617 tri-colour LED, which looks to be a promising product with ability to change the colour temperature between 3000K, 4300K, 5500K.

Could you please confirm if Honda Jazz ZX fog lamps are round in shape and 3" in size? If yes, IPH M617 LED could be a very good stock upgrade and a bit involving upgrade for me. Thanks!
Old 5th March 2023, 23:45   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
Hi Chethan,

Did you consider changing the fog lamps? I think ZX folks are fortunate to have got fog lamp slots, something I am sorely missing on my Jazz VX now. I have been after Honda for almost 2 months, they have been flatly refusing to address this issue saying "Nothing can be done". Off late, I have got a very tempting offer to get ZX fog lamp assembly in my VX: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post5470221 (Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades). If this works, I am keen to get this accessory installed, discarding the DRLs housed there. I am then planning to buy IPH M617 tri-colour LED, which looks to be a promising product with ability to change the colour temperature between 3000K, 4300K, 5500K.

Could you please confirm if Honda Jazz ZX fog lamps are round in shape and 3" in size? If yes, IPH M617 LED could be a very good stock upgrade and a bit involving upgrade for me. Thanks!
Hey Jaysheth
Installing IPH tri color projector fog lamps in ZX variant is really tricky. Because the foglamp garnish shape is not perfect round. And the size of the IPH projector is bigger than the OEM LED or halogen foglamp housing.
There is not much clearance between the projector lens and the plastic garnish/ mounting brackets. You need to trim off the interior silver portion inside the garnish to accommodate the lens. I have tried it on my Jazz. Also, those garnishes are too expensive to make any modifications.
renzart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 19:06   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzart View Post
Hey Jaysheth
Installing IPH tri color projector fog lamps in ZX variant is really tricky. Because the foglamp garnish shape is not perfect round. And the size of the IPH projector is bigger than the OEM LED or halogen foglamp housing.
There is not much clearance between the projector lens and the plastic garnish/ mounting brackets. You need to trim off the interior silver portion inside the garnish to accommodate the lens. I have tried it on my Jazz. Also, those garnishes are too expensive to make any modifications.
Renzart, you are totally right. In lighting department, Honda wants customers to be stuck and fully dependent on them. Shame to not even provide regular 2.5" or 3" fog lamp slots even in the ZX version. ZX owners are stuck with white LED fog lamps (which are not as effective as some of the aftermarket ones). In my case, I was keen to have fog lamps, so I bought ZX housing assembly (costing INR 11.6K just for the plastic garnish). I then got them brutally cut just so that IPH M617 could get in. Seeing it cut was difficult but am happy with the overall result now.

Overall, retrospectively, I am quite happy to have bought the VX variant. ZX would cost additional 1.09 lakh rupees if I remember right. Instead, I got the headlamps upgraded to Osram LED H4, parking lamps to Osram LED as well. That was INR 4K. Additional INR 26K approx. for the fog lamp assembly + fog lamps + installation. So that car was "almost" upgraded to ZX for around 30K, that too with future flexibility of replacing fog lamps with standard 3" products (otherwise not possible with ZX, as those are non-standard ones as you rightly said).

I had to do Pune-Mumbai-Pune last Saturday, starting early morning (in the dark). With upgraded headlamps + fog lamps, I was able to cruise at around 98 kmph comfortably even in the dark (to remain below 100 kmph limit). Got interesting mileage of 20.6 kmpl for the onward journey. Even one such trip (which could have been so slow + risky otherwise) makes you feel the 30K lighting upgrade expense was worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz ZX CVT | Practical family city hatch!-pune_mumbai_trip_mileage.jpeg  

Old 6th March 2023, 19:21   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
Renzart, you are totally right. In lighting department, Honda wants customers to be stuck and fully dependent on them. Shame to not even provide regular 2.5" or 3" fog lamp slots even in the ZX version. ZX owners are stuck with white LED fog lamps (which are not as effective as some of the aftermarket ones). In my case, I was keen to have fog lamps, so I bought ZX housing assembly (costing INR 11.6K just for the plastic garnish). I then got them brutally cut just so that IPH M617 could get in. Seeing it cut was difficult but am happy with the overall result now.

Overall, retrospectively, I am quite happy to have bought the VX variant. ZX would cost additional 1.09 lakh rupees if I remember right. Instead, I got the headlamps upgraded to Osram LED H4, parking lamps to Osram LED as well. That was INR 4K. Additional INR 26K approx. for the fog lamp assembly + fog lamps + installation. So that car was "almost" upgraded to ZX for around 30K, that too with future flexibility of replacing fog lamps with standard 3" products (otherwise not possible with ZX, as those are non-standard ones as you rightly said).

I had to do Pune-Mumbai-Pune last Saturday, starting early morning (in the dark). With upgraded headlamps + fog lamps, I was able to cruise at around 98 kmph comfortably even in the dark (to remain below 100 kmph limit). Got interesting mileage of 20.6 kmpl for the onward journey. Even one such trip (which could have been so slow + risky otherwise) makes you feel the 30K lighting upgrade expense was worth it.
The new iph projectors are brilliant with the lighting output. I have the warm white projector. MyJazz is 2018 V CVT model. I did a facelift conversion in 2021. Today I left my 5 yr old Jazz at the dealership for another makeover. It is going to be Milano Red with some black accents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks