Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
The Tata Punch adventure has the following stock setup:
Headlight : Halogens
HighBeam: 12V 55W H7(HV)/ 60W H4(LV)
Low Beam: 12V 55W H7(HV)/ H4(LV)

Fogs: None (3” cutout)

The car will be mostly a city runner but will make occasional Mum-Pune-Nashik runs. I want to first install decent fog lamps in the car for improved rain/fog visibility during the Monsoons. A later upgrade could be Headlight upgrade to better Halogens or maybe LED(?).

1. What is HV LV mean? Why does the user manual say H4 and H7?
2. Since no fogs exist do I have the opportunity to install any type - Halogen, LED, Projector, HID?
3. Tata offers genuine accessory Fog Lamps - DLAA LED for 8K! They look basic and cheap but Tata offers 2 year warranty. Should I go for them? CarHatke also sell DLAA Fogs for 2K.
4. Boodomo and GoMechanic also sell Tata Punch OEM Halogen Fog Lamps with Osram (Germany) H16 chip for 2500.
5. Should I explore the IPH projectors since stock headlights are poor Halogens?

Car will be delivered in a few weeks and monsoons are a while away so I plan to drive for a while and then upgrade.
HV is higher varient. Adventure is LV so it gets the H4 set up with single bulb. You must upgrade it to a good LED. For fogs, don't use company provided fogs but go for some other projector options..
abhi_krao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 12:12   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi4Life View Post
What?
Osram H4 46204CW LED Headlamp integrated driver (Set of 2,25/25W 12V)
1 year manufacturer guarantee.

Installed on 2020 Ford Aspire Titanium+
Stock reflector headlights!

Amazon India

https://amzn.eu/d/8ykaL6N
Update : Highway run at night. Apologies for not having any images, as it was a solo run.

250 kms on SH and NH. Low beam with headlight leveller at 2 or 3. The difference between these Osram LEDs and the original halogen candles is like night and day. Clearly defined cut off. Encountered light fog since it was late at night. Frankly, the LEDs performed well, contrary to popular opinion.

High beam reach is unreal. Insert <mild goose bumps>
Only used to figure out impending turns when there is no oncoming traffic. Completely surprised after mostly unfavorable impressions about high beam reach of LEDs in reflectors from other users.

Side note : About those pesky culprits who always drive with high beams are night (especially with LEDs). Couple of flashes with these Osrams was all that was required. Most of the oncoming vehicles (except the occasional Fortuner or Bolero pick-up) dipped to low beam. Acknowledgement was swift. (This NEVER happened with the candle halogens).

Hands down, the best lighting upgrade done, at an affordable price point without sacrificing on performance.

Last edited by TDCi4Life : 28th December 2022 at 12:13. Reason: Additional remarks
TDCi4Life is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 12:49   #528
BHPian

Upgraded stock halogen bulb of my Hyundai Venue SX Plus’s projector setup to these-

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-d183b700703f433f81c0cc076b7a6c0d.jpeg

Stock bulbs -

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-1c02da67820049519310de5a1b4b89ef.jpeg

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-8d9db88bb79244baa62298c7f074e4d0.jpeg

Headlight cap looks like this-
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-326d1d8225274f94b1e8c008bff09d05.jpeg

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-24bd0712236e484aaa8ead7043a45dff.jpeg

Will test the performance next week during a planned roadtrip down south.
AjinkyaP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 15:10   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
[*]The thought of "what if it would be raining heavily or foggy" was scary, as white lights create a problem by diffusing and hampering driver's vision instead of aiding it. In monsoon/foggy weather, I will certainly not risk venturing out with only the white LED headlamps.[/list]
Your finding is consistent with what most of us have figured. Even on my orig post in this thread, I had highlighted something similar about 6000K LEDs in high beams. They are next to useless on a tar road or in wet conditions. H4 is worst option to have for LED upgrade. Either you can install extra lights or switch to OSRAM nightbreakers for marginal improvement.

Quote:
Update : Highway run at night. Apologies for not having any images, as it was a solo run.

250 kms on SH and NH. Low beam with headlight leveller at 2 or 3. The difference between these Osram LEDs and the original halogen candles is like night and day. Clearly defined cut off. Encountered light fog since it was late at night. Frankly, the LEDs performed well, contrary to popular opinion.

High beam reach is unreal. Insert <mild goose bumps>
Only used to figure out impending turns when there is no oncoming traffic. Completely surprised after mostly unfavorable impressions about high beam reach of LEDs in reflectors from other users.
Your improvement sounds too good to be true. Maybe the Figo Aspire reflector matched well with OSRAM LEDs. I also have H4 LEDs with 1st gen Figo reflectors. It is also better than halogens but not by that big a margin. It could also be due to how bad halogen reflector were to begin with

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post

Will test the performance next week during a planned roadtrip down south.
Do share pics of high and lo beam on open read if possible
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 16:39   #530
BHPian

Re: Need advice: Fog lamps for Honda Jazz VX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Well in this case, you cannot use the DRLs as fog lamps are they are meant to operate only in the daytime and will not operate at night. So technically you cannot use this circuit for installing fog lights.
Hi Behemoth/other experts,

Quick context: I have a Honda Jazz VX CVT model, that houses DRLs in the fog lamp slots. I wanted to install IPH M617 tricolor LEDs as proper fog lamps or aux lamps. Having these as aux lamps is discouraged by the mechanic, saying it would look ugly. I fully agree (it is a 3-month old car). Besides I don't want cops or even Honda service folks to notice.

The Jazz top end model (ZX) offers proper 3" fog lamps. That's exactly how I wished my VX variant to have.

After a lot of follow up, the technician has come up with a seemingly good offer. Wanted your expert comments before I go ahead as the expense is INR 25K or more.

Suggested approach:
  1. Remove the DRLs permanently.

2. Order original ZX fog lamp sockets from Honda (INR 12K approx. - 6K each side)

3. Wiring assembly + Honda switch: INR 2.5K

4. Installation: INR 2.5K

5. IPH M617 v2 TriColour LED (will order from Blaze India): INR 8K approx.
Total INR 25K approx. Little more if relay is required too.

How it would work (as per the technician):
  • No DRLs will glow anymore when I start the car.

• Fog lamps in proper fog lamp slots thanks to the above parts ordered. Exciting!!!

• Dedicated switch to turn fog lamps on/off (low beam only). As I understand from your posts, the same switch can be used to change colours as required, from 3000K to 4300K to 5500K

• I can separately operate headlamps low beam and/or fog lamp low beam. Exciting!!!

• Head lamp high beam (he said) to be clubbed with fog lamp high beam. This way, whenever I turn on high beam, fog lamp would automatically turn on with high beam (well, not sure if I could get a separate arrangement for fog lamp high beam only). Putting both on high beam together might blind the oncoming traffic. Also not sure how I could switch colours (Kalvin).

• He said no wires would be cut, and therefore no impact on warranty. Very very exciting!!
Do you think I should take up this offer, while Jazz ZX original parts are still available? Thanks in advance.
Old 6th January 2023, 18:27   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Behemoth/other experts,
[/list]Do you think I should take up this offer, while Jazz ZX original parts are still available? Thanks in advance.
25k is a big price and there will be wire splices for sure since your car does not have any fog lamps currently and how your mechanic wants to tap high beam to turn on fog lamps. If you willing to spend 25k why not spend on getting better headlamp Bi-Led projectors installed ? That will be a better upgrade in lighting performance than the iph 617. If you really want to have in fog lamps only then try aftermarket parts for the fog lamp bracket and wiring. Spending 25k on something that should cost 7k is not worth it imo.

Can also try looking for HID foglamps that come with the oval honda bracket, check with DJs automotive too.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 22:09   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
25k is a big price and there will be wire splices for sure since your car does not have any fog lamps currently and how your mechanic wants to tap high beam to turn on fog lamps. If you willing to spend 25k why not spend on getting better headlamp Bi-Led projectors installed ? That will be a better upgrade in lighting performance than the iph 617. If you really want to have in fog lamps only then try aftermarket parts for the fog lamp bracket and wiring. Spending 25k on something that should cost 7k is not worth it imo.

Can also try looking for HID foglamps that come with the oval honda bracket, check with DJs automotive too.
Thanks for your advice, Mr. Nobody. Let me ask this way: If this was being done for say INR 10K, should I go for this offer? Would they be any technical foreseeable issues?

Installing projector headlamp assembly is something I would definitely avoid, as the modifications would be huge for this 3-month old car! Yeah, it is a new baby! In any case, headlamps are no replacement for fog lamps (and vice versa).

Similarly, aftermarket parts for this important accessory are often of very poor quality, and Honda original parts, while expensive, are built to last, along with great finishing. With Honda planning to retire the Jazz in near future, I might never get the original parts again. I am getting https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-71108t5aj60-55602740/ and https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-71103t5aj60-55954196/ for the left and right fog assembly respectively, for INR 5,821 each, and being original Honda ZX accessory both fit and finish should be perfect!

I am aware that had my car had fog lamp slots, IPH M617 along with relay + installation would cost INR 10K. Here I am spending around 15K extra, but yet I am finding this 15K expense quite worthwhile for the following reasons:
  • I wish to retain this new car till eternity! 15+ years at least.

• Regardless of any good head lamps, even projector head lamps, there are blind spots on the sides, and also between the bumper to where the beam hits. Only fog lamps can fill this gap.

• I am looking at this investment as an opportunity to permanently enable "extra pair of lights", rather than enhancing the only available set of lights.

• Had I bought the top ZX version, I would have paid at least 1.09L more for 3 features: LED headlamps, projector foglamps and sunroof. I already upgraded LED Headlamps to Osram H4 LED for INR 4K, and if I upgrade foglamps now, the total cost is still under INR 30K, for which I get all LEDs of my choice. I never felt need for a sunroof, so I am almost upgrading VX to ZX for INR 30K Well, just a way of looking at it!

• I had a situation last month where it was a pitch dark road where I had to take right turn, and to my horror with otherwise very good Osram headlamps, I could not see anything on the sides. Stock halogens would have been much better during that situation, as LEDs are uni-directional whereas halogens are omni-directional. Had I had fog lamps (esp. like IPH or AES), this issue would not have been there as they seem to form a nice little curvy light output protruding out along the edges thereby illuminating both sides.

• My headlamp upgrade to Osram LED H4 was a "compromise". It offers 6000K which would not help in monsoon. Having fog lamps that can switch between 3000K, 4300K and 5500K will help me drive the car in all seasons without the headache to switch headlamps each monsoon (and back).

• With this one-time investment, I will have permanent ability to upgrade headlamps and fog lamps "separately", and a permanent enablement of "spare lights" whenever needed.
As per Amit Sawhney (Blaze India), who has been helping me a lot, using a relay with male female connector to connect with foglamp switch and wire which Honda will provide, no wire slicing should be required.

With the above rationale, may I ask if I could accept this offer while genuine Honda parts and technicians are available?
Old 6th January 2023, 22:29   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your advice, Mr. Nobody. Let me ask this way: If this was being done for say INR 10K, should I go for this offer? Would they be any technical foreseeable issues?

Installing projector headlamp assembly is something I
Yes for 10k i would have done the upgrade too. There wont be any technical issues. But how you describe the high beam triggering the fog lamps, this will involve a wire splice. M617 is good and i also have them in my car for over a year but do check in real the output of iph 612 as well. The HID varient has a much wider beam which you are looking for. 3000k is good to have but does your location even have that many foggy days?
Also there is another 3 inch projector called GTR model sold these days which is also a Bi-Led one but has a better output than iph m617. Single color only though unlike m617.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 09:01   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Yes for 10k i would have done the upgrade too. There wont be any technical issues. But how you describe the high beam triggering the fog lamps, this will involve a wire splice. M617 is good and i also have them in my car for over a year but do check in real the output of iph 612 as well. The HID varient has a much wider beam which you are looking for. 3000k is good to have but does your location even have that many foggy days?
Also there is another 3 inch projector called GTR model sold these days which is also a Bi-Led one but has a better output than iph m617. Single color only though unlike m617.
Thank you so much, Mr. Nobody. I checked on your wire splice comment. What they would give is a scotch lock. So you are totally right, it will not cut the whole wire but definitely its insulation.

Yes, Mr. Amit from Blaze India said that HID would be giving more significant output but I wanted to go for minimalistic setup (without ballast etc.), and also with Jazz having low ground clearance and fog assembly quite low, would prefer IPX67 compliant (i.e. relatively waterproof) LED setup as during monsoon the car might have to occassionally go through waters at that height (I live in Pune and this is a definite occurrence, having to go through water logged areas occassionally!). Coming to M612 and GTR, while both are definitely better than M617, the latter offers me the ability to switch colour temperature, whereas with the former 2, we need to decide which colour temperature we want to "buy"/ go with and we can use only that thereafter (e.g. 4300K).

Since I am using Osram H4 LED with 6000K for main headlamps, during dry weather that clubbed with 5500K fog lamps would be best. During monsoon a 4300K or a 3000K should serve well, without changing the (6000K) head lamps, as I can try various colour-combos. I live in Pune and there is hardly any fog here, but am likely to encounter it in certain weather conditions during early morning Pune-Mumbai drives in the ghats.

I must be overthinking but having tri colour fog lamps seems to be offering the ability to take the car anywhere pan India, in almost all weather conditions. Thanks for reading!
Old 8th January 2023, 13:41   #535

Can i swap Vento dual barrel headlights for rapid unit?
Old 8th January 2023, 23:13   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Your improvement sounds too good to be true. Maybe the Figo Aspire reflector matched well with OSRAM LEDs. I also have H4 LEDs with 1st gen Figo reflectors. It is also better than halogens but not by that big a margin. It could also be due to how bad halogen reflector were to begin with

My Aspire's headlights have a few smudges that refuse to go away. Which is why I was mildly shocked at the near perfect horizontal beam output with the Osram LEDs in the reflector set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20221225_200000287.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20221225_200016589.jpg  

TDCi4Life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 10:46   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Aspire's headlights have a few smudges that refuse to go away. Which is why I was mildly shocked at the near perfect horizontal beam output with the Osram LEDs in the reflector set up.
Actually very good result for a reflector. Somehow OSRAM LEDs + Aspire reflectors are perfectly tuned for each other. Very good and easy upgrade.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 21:48   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Apologies for the delay in posting these pics and the amateur quality. I am a dud with cameras.

Next upgrade : The IPH CAR M617 BI-LED TRI COLOR projector fog lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20230109_212645127_12.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20230109_212549445_12.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20230109_212853919.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20230109_2128428282.jpg  

Last edited by TDCi4Life : 9th January 2023 at 21:54. Reason: Additional remarks
TDCi4Life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 22:15   #539
BHPian

I am surprised at the fan following of the IPH fog lamps here. “IPH” is a Chinese brand without seemingly any product company owning it. No official website, no product page, track record, technical specifications etc etc. Just multiple sellers on Alibaba selling IPH brand lamps.

They don’t seem to have any official presence in India, no official warranty, no authorised dealers just a few Karol Bagh importers and Online sellers. No way to tell for sure if the ones sold in India are original or fakes.

Still people are willing to 10-25K on these products. I wonder if India is such a big market and brands like Philips, Osram, Hella and even Valeo have a presence why isn’t the “IPH” company here ?
VPJ74 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 22:41   #540
BHPian

Dear BHP'ians, need an advice on FOG light upgrade

Most of the 5th Gen Honda City ZX owners will concur with me on the poor throw of STOCK LED fog lamps. It is mediocre at best.
When I looked for options, my reliable aftermarket guy suggested to go for Aozoom FLP1090 or 2090 (projector based) or go for aozoom AZ-1301/1302 (LED fog lamp upg)
Problem is for upgrading to a better light source, it comes with a blaster and additional wiring needed. Though we can avoid wire-cutting using scotch lock wire connectors, my dealer service advisor says that even a bit of electrical modification done would mean the vehicle stands to lose the warranty permanently.
Now, I'm caught between devil & deep sea as I'm not comfortable with light throw, but can't upgrade citing warranty anxiety.

If i just connect the low beam for these projectors without tapping in the wire for high beam, will that be preserving the warranty?

Any pointers from those who went ahead and upgraded the FOG lamp setup while in warranty? Should I just trust nature and take the risk with warranty?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks