Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2021, 09:44   #376
BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Hi,

I am looking at upgrading the bulbs (both High Beam and Low Beam) in my Honda City 2015 VX. Had upgraded to Osram Nighbreaker 2 years back but now that the vehicle is frequently being used on Highways better lighting has become necessary.

The requirement is primarily for the highways. Seeking help on the same.
LivingCars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 12:02   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingCars View Post
Hi,

I am looking at upgrading the bulbs (both High Beam and Low Beam) in my Honda City 2015 VX. Had upgraded to Osram Nighbreaker 2 years back but now that the vehicle is frequently being used on Highways better lighting has become necessary.

Me too, did you get any more info on this?
Old 13th November 2021, 21:38   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
I checked with a few local shops here (we are in a Tier 2 town so options are limited for these upgrades) and they are suggesting relay and higher wattage halogens which i am sceptical about. Do let me know if you come across anything.

Further, i believe the visibility of this thread is low so we have not got any response from Senior BHPians.
Old 15th November 2021, 13:58   #379

Quote:
I checked with a few local shops here (we are in a Tier 2 town so options are limited for these upgrades) and they are suggesting relay and higher wattage halogens which i am sceptical about. Do let me know if you come across anything.

Further, i believe the visibility of this thread is low so we have not got any response from Senior BHPians.
I'm facing the same problem. Nightbreakers are good for city but are no good for highways. I have explored the LED market well but have not found anything worth spending money on. If you have a freehand budget, checkout The Automotive Lighting Experts. A bunch of my friends are using their HID systems and I have never seen a vehicle with brighter headlights that do not blind other drivers like LEDs do.
bharaththefreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:30   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
My experience with plain LED bulbs in a reflector setup ...

1. Highbeams non existent.
2. In the rain the white light is of absolutely no use in a reflector setup.
3. In a headlight reflector setup its very hard to find LED bulbs that mimic the halogen filaments and their position.

*** LED's give a better performance with a 'projector' setup.

*** If you still want a LED bulb for your 'reflector' setup try bulbs with the CSP chip. They are able to mimic the halogen bulb filament better.

*** Beware of fakes when purchasing bulbs.

With my limited knowledge the options are ...

Option - 1
The more cost effective option is to add a relay and use a higher wattage 90/100 halogen bulb. My headlight uses H4 bulb type and I have been using ceramic Hella 90/100 relays with the the OSRAM all weather bulb's. The light output is definitely better than the stock bulbs. Total cost for me worked out to Rs 1200/- because i purchased the relay and bulbs and fitted them myself. It shouldn't be more than 2K if you get it done from a car accessory shop.

Option -2
If you have round 2.5" or 3" fog lamps, would be to go for the 'projector fog lamps' with HID bulbs. The cost for this will start from Rs 8000 for the IPH brand to Rs 18k for higher brands like FE retrofit. The light output is still better than the halogens.

Option -3
Retrofitting your headlamps with a full projector setup. For a good setup the cost can start from roughly 25k. If done properly by professionals this will give you the best output.

All the best ...
Adrian Stephens is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 22:16   #381
BHPian

Sorry, if this is irrelevant here but is there someone who deals with stock headlight clear lens? My fiesta headlight lenses (covers) are scratched and blurred. Need replacement...
Old 29th December 2021, 13:33   #382
Senior - BHPian

Folks, its been a while since I have posted on this group. It is well understood that swapping from halogen to LED, only the CSP type LEDs give closest result irrespective of whether its reflector or projector type. But even with CSP its a hit or miss since beam pattern is very sensitive to how perfect the design is. I have experimented a lot over the years with different brands from Alibaba for my XUV500 low beam projectors but very few come close to a halogen type pattern where the light is more concentrated on the top center and gives best result on road. Recently one of my lights had conked off (which LEDs normally do every year or so) and came across Osram branded LEDs on Amazon India. Price was also reasonable. Even though they are also made in China but I bought them and was pleasantly surprised. Build quality is very good, minimalist design and beam pattern is absolutely perfect and atleast 30% more brightness compared to other LEDs. Brightness is much better than stock halogens. Few pictures I took and link from amazon

https://www.amazon.in/Osram-45210CW-Headlamp-integrated-driver/dp/B08L93GX5K/ref=sr_1_2?crid=KTBWIGR25QJ7&keywords=led+h7+headl ight+for+car&qid=1640679516&sprefix=led+h7%2Caps%2 C229&sr=8-2

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20211224_200827.jpg
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20211224_200833.jpg
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20211229_102157.jpg
supertinu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 11:45   #383
BHPian

Hi.
Off late have found diving on highways in night difficult. Light is not sufficient.

A local garage wala tells me it could be anything .... bulb ... Or some chrome film inside. Any insights will be helpful. Car is corolla Altos 2009.
Attached Thumbnails
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20220114_182235.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20220114_182305.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20220116_082739.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-20220116_082732.jpg  

naren_gs1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 20:44   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Folks, its been a while since I have posted on this group. It is well understood that swapping from halogen to LED, only the CSP type LEDs give closest result irrespective of whether its reflector or projector type. But even with CSP its a hit or miss since beam pattern is very sensitive to how perfect the design is.
Attachment 2251277
Brilliant cut off on your low beams. In fact on most videos and pictures of LED bulbs in reflectors, the low beam is nicely focused. It's the high beam which is more diffused and blinding.
Any experience with Blaupunkt 9X pro H4 bulbs?
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 13:13   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Hi if you're still looking for light upgrades on your city I have been using Autobahn leds on both low and high beams on my city for about 2 and a half years now and they've been performing great. Maybe give that a try.
iBokehlicious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 12:32   #386

Hi there!

I own a Duster (2021) and I find its headlights underpowered, especially while driving on the highways.

I checked recommendations on this thread (example - Osram H7), which is a good product, but according to the reviews posted on Amazon, this is not a plug-and-use product and would require some modifications, which I would like to avoid.

I am inexperienced on this - so can anyone suggest to me some other product or anything that I can do to improve the night-time visibility of my headlights?
vaibhav.dangwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 13:00   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post
Hi.
Off late have found diving on highways in night difficult. Light is not sufficient.

A local garage wala tells me it could be anything .... bulb ... Or some chrome film inside. Any insights will be helpful. Car is corolla Altos 2009.
Not clear about the issue. Are you already using LEDs on the reflectors? For highway on reflectors its better to stick to stock Halogens, or OSram night breakers etc. LEDs on high beam in general will scatter more and worse on prjectors designed for halogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Brilliant cut off on your low beams. In fact on most videos and pictures of LED bulbs in reflectors, the low beam is nicely focused. It's the high beam which is more diffused and blinding.
Any experience with Blaupunkt 9X pro H4 bulbs?
Cut off is good because I have projectors for low beam otherwise LEDs with reflectors usually doesnt have sharp cutoffs even in OEM lights. I dont have much exp with Blaupunkt but looking at the design doesnt seem very unique. Might not have the best beam pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav.dangwal View Post
Hi there!

I own a Duster (2021) and I find its headlights underpowered, especially while driving on the highways.

I checked recommendations on this thread (example - Osram H7), which is a good product, but according to the reviews posted on Amazon, this is not a plug-and-use product and would require some modifications, which I would like to avoid.

I am inexperienced on this - so can anyone suggest to me some other product or anything that I can do to improve the night-time visibility of my headlights?
you want to swap stock Halogens H7 with OSram LED H7? if yes then it will be plug and play swap. I did the same for my XUV low beam H7. LEDs are tad bigger and should fit within the cap, but the power supply is extra which you can tuck inside the light body only. Look up my orig thread here.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 13:23   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Not clear about the issue. Are you already using LEDs on the reflectors? For highway on reflectors its better to stick to stock Halogens, or OSram night breakers etc. LEDs on high beam in general will scatter more and worse on prjectors designed for halogen.
Thank you for your response.

Issue is light output has reduced on low beam. All current setup is factory. I have not done changes.

Question is will it need new bulb or assembly to fix? Or cleaning may help?
Old 24th January 2022, 16:55   #389
BHPian

I am planning to upgrade the stock head light setup of my Hexa. I am thinking to do it in phase wise manner starting with upgrading the fog lights with LEDs. What are the options for me? Will brands like Osram or Philips be plug and play type without modifying current wiring? What precautions should be taken before going to upgrade?
Old 15th February 2022, 00:37   #390
Senior - BHPian

Recently upgraded both my headlights and foglights.
For the former i splurged and got a Philips ultinon for 6.5k.
You can get it cheaper on Amazon but i got it locally because i needed someone who could help with warranty claims given the cost.
On the other end of the spectrum, i got a pair of fogs from Amazon from a brand called fabtec for 1.5k. if you look at them or their performance, it's hard to believe one costs more than 4x the other. The fabtec has similar build quality, similar tech ( Philips/luxeon zes chips) and the light output is similar.

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-pxl_20220213_0706018552.jpg
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-pxl_20220213_095656703.mp.jpg

I got them mostly because my kids keep playing on the car, leaving the lights on and killing my batteries. Hopefully these will reduce that. After installing the headlight bulb i got them focussed at a nearby tyredrome and were able to achieve a sharp cutoff pattern and levels. Brightness levels are the same as my earlier bulbs which were 55/60 extreme power.

The fogs are a big improvement from the stock bulbs which were running generic bulbs. Also very surprised to see that they have the same brightness as the headlight bulbs.

I did not spend too much on the foglights as my car gets flooded in the rain every 2 years on average, and given that no dealer will cover water damage, I figured I'd get something cheap and cheerful and was pleasantly surprised.

I'm not touching the hella lights because I'm literally saving them for a rainy day

Last edited by greenhorn : 15th February 2022 at 00:48.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks