Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2022, 12:43   #436
BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkir80 View Post
@supertinu - I own Skoda rapid 1.5d. I already have the osram NB unlimited vision bulbs installed and don't see any major improvements.

Now I'm contemplating between 100/90 vs. LED upgrade. Not sure which one to go with.

My driving is primarily city and occasional highway runs in the night.
I had Phillips Racing Vision on my 2020 Ford Aspire for a year. Their only benefit was the 20% improvement in brightness with the reflector set-up. I am planning on upgrading my fog light set-up too.

Since most of your driving is primarily in cities, leave your headlight set-up alone. Simply upgrade your fog light set-up with this :

https://carhatke.com/iphcar-m617-be-xenon-led-fog-lamp

This is 3 color Bi-xenon projector.

Advantages :

1) No issue of blinding oncoming traffic

2) Excellent performance in all conditions, as you can simply switch to yellow in rain or fog. Use the other two modes for city driving. Verified and attested to by our own distinguished BHpian, Behemoth.

3) You can make the most of your current headlight set-up when using it in tandom with these projector bi-xenon fog lights. No complicated overhaul of your headlight assembly required.

After going through countless threads on headlight upgrades, the gist is as follows :

Any LED bulb or higher wattage halogen upgrade on the headlight reflector set-up is like making paper rockets with your cash and throwing it out of your balcony, period!

Last edited by TDCi4Life : 29th August 2022 at 12:47. Reason: Addition of remarks
TDCi4Life is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 14:52   #437
BHPian

Any idea what the better LED brands are in Northern India?

I have RD x600 H4s... They're blue white, have great cut off, a 3 year warranty but are useless on the highways I do to Gujrat after 7 PM.

I have now installed yellower H4s from Zapco GT that are better, brighter, but have a weird cut off. They tend to go upwards to the right against oncoming traffic. So I'll look into rotating my headlights. 1 year warranty. Can and probably will return them.

Questions.
1. How is Azoom? Any other decent brands?
2. Do these LEDs fade after a few months?
3. I've heard philips etc, the 25W types are pretty useless on the highway. Can anyone recommend an alternative?
4. I'm okay looking at the king Kong lights or alternates that will last. Alternate sealed beam housings are also welcome.
Old 1st September 2022, 20:34   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Any idea what the better LED brands are in Northern India?

I have RD x600 H4s... They're blue white, have great cut off, a 3 year warranty but are useless on the highways I do to Gujrat after 7 PM.

What vehicle are you planning to use it on? Please share more details as with that info can others make relevant suggestions!
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 22:15   #439
BHPian

A thar 2022.
The stock headlight is glass thus I'm inclined to go the swappable H4 way. Unless of course, something like King Kong is fit. If so, I can source them cheap, so I wouldn't mind!
Old 2nd September 2022, 14:20   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A thar 2022.
The stock headlight is glass thus I'm inclined to go the swappable H4 way. Unless of course, something like King Kong is fit. If so, I can source them cheap, so I wouldn't mind!
There are plenty of options available in that case. But most would be around 6k colour temperature though!
There are some good options available from Mxs motorsport who is an importer in Karol Bagh. You can check with them.
https://www.mxsmotosport.com/mxs3460...ndra-thar-2020

Alternatively you can also check with Blaze India (just search on Google) - they are also direct importers and have good options.

Another suggestion which I have is to go for IPHM617 tri colour projector fog lights. I am also using the same in my Jeep Compass and they are really good.
There is also another tBHPian who has put the same on his Thar.
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/diy-bi...-mahindra-thar

Last edited by Behemoth : 2nd September 2022 at 14:28.
Behemoth is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 18:28   #441
BHPian

Quote:
A thar 2022.
I saw some pictures of LED headlights on dhcindia.com specifically meant for Thar.
lejhoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 10:23   #442
BHPian

Re: Nexgen Verna (2018) Projector Headlamp LED Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Finally I went for 42w HID asic ballasts and 35W yeaky HID bulbs with 4300k CCT. This combination is working very well since the past 3 years on my Compass and is absolutely miles ahead of any LEDS available.
Thanks for the all the guidance you’ve shared in this thread. I have the stock HIDs on my Compass 2017 model, and one of them have stopped working now. It’s out of the 5 warranty period next month.
Was planning on getting some better HIDs to replace them with. Do you recommend the same setup as you shared above, or would you have any other suggestions.
Old 5th September 2022, 10:32   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Thanks for the all the guidance you’ve shared in this thread. I have the stock HIDs on my Compass 2017 model, and one of them have stopped working now. It’s out of the 5 warranty period next month.
Was planning on getting some better HIDs to replace them with. Do you recommend the same setup as you shared above, or would you have any other suggestions.
With preinstalled HIDs in the Jeep Compass it is 25w Hid units which are fitted. Replacing these with aftermarket HID in 35W or higher is a complex task and requires the whole headlight units to be dismantled and the projector units inside the headlight and the drivers need to be changed. This is quite complex and you need experts who can do this well. Instead of taking this route, I recommend that you upgrade your fog lights with projectors (you can go for the IPH M617 tri colour ones like I have, as they are quite good ). This is a much simpler upgrade and will give you substantial increase in light levels.
Behemoth is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 23:16   #444
BHPian

Thanks for inputs, champs. A few thoughts on the matter.

1. Mxs motorsport - insane pricing.
2. Blaze - where can I find someone to fit them well? I have installed SHAKY maxxlink 912 high/low housings in lieu of the standard Thar fog lights - I am utterly upset! This is with a swap to X600 LED bulbs by RD from the dealership (Mahindra Koncept.)
3. dhcindia.com - none of the links work. The website is lousey.

Additionally:
4. Any suggestions on Car Hatke for a 617 kit? I am unsure if they are original!
5. Meanwhile, I have sourced stock fog light covers so once set up, I can consider modifying the covers to give a 'shrouded' look and fit to the lens.
6. I imagine sealed LED > replaceable LED lights for weatherproofing and perhaps, with the 617 iphcar, multiple colors.
7. How is Zapco as a brand? We are doomed with chinese brands, but I gander that a locally dealship supported brand may not be the worst bet!

Last edited by wooka : 8th September 2022 at 23:20.
Old 9th September 2022, 23:47   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi4Life View Post
I am planning on upgrading my fog light set-up too.

Since most of your driving is primarily in cities, leave your headlight set-up alone. Simply upgrade your fog light set-up with this :

https://carhatke.com/iphcar-m617-be-xenon-led-fog-lamp
Hi there, have you been able to get this setup yet? I desperately want to upgrade my Figo's stock light and I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

Mine would be city driving most and occasional highway drives though.
Old 10th September 2022, 20:22   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Hi there, have you been able to get this setup yet? I desperately want to upgrade my Figo's stock light and I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

Mine would be city driving most and occasional highway drives though.
I already have the same setup on my Jeep Compass (for 9 months now) and it is pretty good. I had shared my feedback too a few posts back on this thread.
Though I had purchased it from a different source (Blaze India).
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 09:18   #447
BHPian

Quote:
With preinstalled HIDs in the Jeep Compass it is 25w Hid units which are fitted. Replacing these with aftermarket HID in 35W or higher is a complex task and requires the whole headlight units to be dismantled and the projector units inside the headlight and the drivers need to be changed. This is quite complex and you need experts who can do this well. Instead of taking this route, I recommend that you upgrade your fog lights with projectors (you can go for the IPH M617 tri colour ones like I have, as they are quite good ). This is a much simpler upgrade and will give you substantial increase in light levels.
Thanks for the tip! I have a couple of doubts, hope you can help me out

1. Do these retain the cornering lighting functionality?
2. I saw that these have high-beam and low-beam functionality in the fog lamps -- does that mean they will automatically switch to high-beam along with my main headlamps?

Is there a recommended place to buy it from, or shall I get it from Amazon It's 9k, but there's a 5% cashback using the Amazon ICICI card.: https://www.amazon.in/BI-LED-COLOR-L...dp/B0B5N8N99M/
Old 14th September 2022, 09:30   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Thanks for the tip! I have a couple of doubts, hope you can help me out

1. Do these retain the cornering lighting functionality?
2. I saw that these have high-beam and low-beam functionality in the fog lamps -- does that mean they will automatically switch to high-beam along with my main headlamps?

Is there a recommended place to buy it from, or shall I get it from Amazon It's 9k, but there's a 5% cashback using the Amazon ICICI card.: https://www.amazon.in/BI-LED-COLOR-L...dp/B0B5N8N99M/

To answer your queries:

1) no if you go for Tri Color ones, you cannot use the cornering light functionality as they will change colour with every on off cycle and they will not be synchronised (left and right). I have switched off the cornering light function in my car. Do check that you can also switch it off in your car. If you go for single colour LED ones , you can use the cornering functionality.
Even with HID projector fog lights, you cannot use the cornering function as they have a warm up time and frequent switch on /off can damage HIDs too.

2) yes they have an inbuilt High/low beam shutter cutoff but you need to tap your high beam wire to use this. In my case I did not want to tap the wire as it would void warranty and am using only for low beam

You can get it from multiple sources and wherever you get the best service and price, go for it!
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 18:10   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Yes with 5 inch the 3 inch IPH M617 will not fit. However I was searching for some solution for you and I came across this on Boodmo (just search Scorpio fog lights). It seems the 3rd gen Scorpio comes with smaller 3 inch fog lights which have a large plastic bracket which fit in the 5 inch holes. Please see pic below

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-fog_lamp-55970398/

Attachment 2348321

Maybe you can try ordering these (they are not too expensive) and then decide what to do next. Even if you go the hid route, do take projector based HID housings. Putting HIDs in reflector housings just scatters light everywhere and blinds others and will do very little to improve your own visibility.
A quick update: I finally got the delivery of 1 of these brackets and took it to a garage today. The bracket fits the existing fog light bracket!! Now I will order the 2nd bracket for the right side and the fog lamp covers. Hopefully it will work!!

Last edited by JKBKS : 16th September 2022 at 18:12.
Old 17th September 2022, 19:37   #450
BHPian

Quote:
I already have the same setup on my Jeep Compass (for 9 months now) and it is pretty good. I had shared my feedback too a few posts back on this thread.
Though I had purchased it from a different source (Blaze India).
I am planning to upgrade headlights and fogs of my Hexa. But every time when I search for option I am getting confused with so many options available. Whether I should opt for whole LED set up or HIDs for low beam and LED for fog light? As per your experience can you suggest best possible option for Hexa?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks