Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 18:28   #421
BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Addressing the point about the electrical load, when you put a 100 watt light the electrician will ideally pull new set of wires from the battery to handle the wattage and the 55W line is used with relay to control the turning on and off operation. You may also need a ceramic holder for 100 watt bulb as they get hot and plastic holders can melt.

Ages ago in my Ford Ikon I had done this upgrade but Ford wiring was thick enough to handle 100w bulbs, but same thing on maruti or hyundai will need new wires.
I zeroed in on Behemoth's solution of going in for M617 tri-colour projectors in place fog lights and let the halogen headlamps be. M617s are 3 inch. But my 2009 Scorpio has a 5 inch housing that's too big for these 3 inch projectors. I am told M617s wont work in Fog lights housing of Scorpio so I have to now look at upgrading the headlamps that have a reflector housing. Since projectors don't seem to work will in reflectors I am thinking of getting 55W HIDs now.
Old 19th August 2022, 20:40   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
I zeroed in on Behemoth's solution of going in for M617 tri-colour projectors in place fog lights and let the halogen headlamps be. M617s are 3 inch. But my 2009 Scorpio has a 5 inch housing that's too big for these 3 inch projectors. I am told M617s wont work in Fog lights housing of Scorpio so I have to now look at upgrading the headlamps that have a reflector housing. Since projectors don't seem to work will in reflectors I am thinking of getting 55W HIDs now.
Yes with 5 inch the 3 inch IPH M617 will not fit. However I was searching for some solution for you and I came across this on Boodmo (just search Scorpio fog lights). It seems the 3rd gen Scorpio comes with smaller 3 inch fog lights which have a large plastic bracket which fit in the 5 inch holes. Please see pic below

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-fog_lamp-55970398/

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-screenshot_2022081920351267_21d7ae11b56d281f3d1eaf85000220e7.jpg

Maybe you can try ordering these (they are not too expensive) and then decide what to do next. Even if you go the hid route, do take projector based HID housings. Putting HIDs in reflector housings just scatters light everywhere and blinds others and will do very little to improve your own visibility.

Last edited by Behemoth : 19th August 2022 at 20:42.
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 22:48   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes with 5 inch the 3 inch IPH M617 will not fit. However I was searching for some solution for you and I came across this on Boodmo (just search Scorpio fog lights). It seems the 3rd gen Scorpio comes with smaller 3 inch fog lights which have a large plastic bracket which fit in the 5 inch holes. Please see pic below

Attachment 2348321

Maybe you can try ordering these (they are not too expensive) and then decide what to do next. Even if you go the hid route, do take projector based HID housings. Putting HIDs in reflector housings just scatters light everywhere and blinds others and will do very little to improve your own visibility.
Thanks again Behemoth for taking time to search!!
Didn't know the HID and reflector housing correlation. I seem to learn something new every time I post here

Will buy these and try getting 3 inch projector fog amps installed.

Another quick question: If M617s are not available locally, are there any comparable 3 inch tri-colour projectors from AES and Aozoom that could be selected instead?
JKBKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 08:45   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Thanks again Behemoth for taking time to search!!
Didn't know the HID and reflector housing correlation. I seem to learn something new every time I post here

Will buy these and try getting 3 inch projector fog amps installed.

Another quick question: If M617s are not available locally, are there any comparable 3 inch tri-colour projectors from AES and Aozoom that could be selected instead?
I had bought my IPH M617 tri color from a Delhi based importer - Blaze India. They are wholesale importers for both IPH and Aes and many other Lights too. Just reach out and check with them as they have distributors in many cities. You can find their contact details on Insta / Facebook.
The owner Amit Sawhney is quite cooperative and has supplied to many Team Bhpians.
Nowadays they are importing even higher output laser LED lights from AES too which have and even longer reach (but seems like overkill to me and would definitely inconvenience others.)
Even in my case I am using the low beams of the Projector fogs as my Compass low beam inspite of the HID was still weak. Also I did not want to tap my high beam wires as that would void warranty. So I just put a H11 female connector on the fog lights and plugged in the stock connector. The shutter wires are left unconnected and are taped. Even like this the low beam is 2x of my HID headlight low beam and reach is around 30m.
To change the colour output, you just have to switch them off and on again within 3 seconds, and they change colour. I switched off my cornering function though as it would led to different colours from the fog lights if Used that.
Behemoth is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 11:47   #425
Team-BHP Support

I don't seem to find

- Igni's H4 LED's

- Ignis LED tailamp

- interior LED bulbs

on either Amazon or Osram / Philips website which can be purchased & shipped. Any other reliable website?
Old 20th August 2022, 11:58   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I don't seem to find

- Igni's H4 LED's

on either Amazon or Osram / Philips website which can be purchased & shipped. Any other reliable website?
Osram H4 LED was available on Amazon about a month ago. I purchased from there. However, it often goes out of stock. I was hearing that Blaupunkt was good too.
Old 20th August 2022, 14:41   #427
BHPian

Quote:
However I was searching for some solution for you and I came across this on Boodmo (just search Scorpio fog lights). It seems the 3rd gen Scorpio comes with smaller 3 inch fog lights which have a large plastic bracket which fit in the 5 inch holes. Please see pic below

Attachment 2348321
I just saw a Youtube video (link:) of old Scorpio conversion. The foglamp housing video starts at 4.06. There they used original Mahindra housing which fits 3 inchers perfectly. Below are the screenshots. If I could get these then the problem will be solved.

But on Mahindra Automall they are selling this as a complete fog light unit. So would need to find if the housing cover could be bought standalone.
Attached Thumbnails
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-original-foglights.png  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-foglight-housing.png  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-3inch-housing.png  

Last edited by JKBKS : 20th August 2022 at 14:51.
Old 20th August 2022, 19:30   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

This might work for you.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-beze...plus-39777780/

Order one first to check the fitting though and then only order the second one and the Lights.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 14:25   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I don't seem to find

- Igni's H4 LED's

- Ignis LED tailamp

- interior LED bulbs

Ignis does not have a different bulb type than other cars, You can just get any compact H4 Led bulb and search using the corresponding holder type than the car name. eg, T10, H4, P21 etc
Apy_Vlogs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 12:53   #430

Quote:
Your options with reflectors and H4 are very limited as mentioned by Behemoth. I would suggest just get 100W halogens with a relay to keep it simple and cheap. Else go for major mod and after market projectors. But I am very paranoid about reliability of after market headlights. I had once a LED fail on high beam during a trip and it made driving very tough. Since then I moved to halogens for high beam purely due to reliability factor.

Do share some pics of the setup and throw if you have.
Thanks for your inputs. I also wanted to upgrade to 100/90 halogen with relay, but i have always been discouraged by all the accessories store guys stating that it will burn the ceramic holder due to excess heat and headlight unit will develop blackish layer in a short period of time.

Can you throw some light on this?
Old 29th August 2022, 10:07   #431
BHPian

Quote:
In this single reflector H4 setup, neither HID or LED will work and will cause a lot of scatter and glare to others. The best solution for you is to get projectors fitted into your Reflector headlamp housings and then fit them with HIDs .
Hello Behemoth.

I am planning to upgrade the fog light assembly on my 2020 Ford Aspire TDCi. Found the IPH M617s on carhatke. Could you kindly share some long term feedback of its usage (especially in rain, the variable color must be a boon!).

https://carhatke.com/iphcar-m617-be-xenon-led-fog-lamp
Attached Thumbnails
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-screenshot_20220829094959_brave.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-screenshot_20220829095016_brave.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-screenshot_20220829095111_brave.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-screenshot_20220829095135_brave.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-screenshot_20220829095203_brave.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th August 2022 at 10:12. Reason: Quote content trimmed
Old 29th August 2022, 10:22   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi4Life View Post
Hello Behemoth.

I am planning to upgrade the fog light assembly on my 2020 Ford Aspire TDCi. Found the IPH M617s on carhatke. Could you kindly share some long term feedback of its usage (especially in rain, the variable color must be a boon!).

https://carhatke.com/iphcar-m617-be-xenon-led-fog-lamp
I am quite happy with them and find the beam focus and reach perfect. Though I am using only in low beam mode as I did not want to tap my high beam wire as that would void warranty.

In rains, I was using in 4K mode and it works well. In fog (in winter) I will use in Golden mode, but last season there was no fog at all so did not get to use
Rest of the time I use in 6k mode as that is the brightest and gives good visibility on black topped roads.
At this price quoted, you are getting a pretty good deal. I had got mine for around 8.3 k as that time supplies were ready short due to Covid impact on imports. I would recommend them fully to you. However please check that the fitment (size and mounting) will work in your car.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 10:37   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkir80 View Post
Thanks for your inputs. I also wanted to upgrade to 100/90 halogen with relay, but i have always been discouraged by all the accessories store guys stating that it will burn the ceramic holder due to excess heat and headlight unit will develop blackish layer in a short period of time.

Can you throw some light on this?
Raj, which car do you have?

Your accessory store guy is partially correct. Ceramic holders shouldn't burn ideally, plastic ones can melt. However the headlight plastic lens losing it clarity with time can happen due to the heat generated by the bulb. It may not happen immediately but over few years surely will happen. I had done this upgrade a while back on my Ford Ikon which has glass headlights and they didnt deteriorate with age. You other options would be to goto Osram night breakers with same wattage but they have only limited improvement.
Old 29th August 2022, 11:04   #434

Quote:
Raj, which car do you have?

Your accessory store guy is partially correct. Ceramic holders shouldn't burn ideally, plastic ones can melt. However the headlight plastic lens losing it clarity with time can happen due to the heat generated by the bulb. It may not happen immediately but over few years surely will happen. I had done this upgrade a while back on my Ford Ikon which has glass headlights and they didnt deteriorate with age. You other options would be to goto Osram night breakers with same wattage but they have only limited improvement.
@supertinu - I own Skoda rapid 1.5d. I already have the osram NB unlimited vision bulbs installed and don't see any major improvements.

Now I'm contemplating between 100/90 vs. LED upgrade. Not sure which one to go with.

My driving is primarily city and occasional highway runs in the night.
Old 29th August 2022, 11:14   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkir80 View Post
@supertinu - I own Skoda rapid 1.5d. I already have the osram NB unlimited vision bulbs installed and don't see any major improvements.

Now I'm contemplating between 100/90 vs. LED upgrade. Not sure which one to go with.

My driving is primarily city and occasional highway runs in the night.
Based on my experience, LED upgrade on a reflector is a hit or miss. Its all about the beam forming. LEDs are least disruptive since low wattage, no wiring change etc. But LEDs tend to scatter more on reflectors and you wont appreciate the result as much, but your oncoming traffic will surely get blinded like crazy esp with high beams etc.

High wattage halogen is a most bang for the buck from a illumination standpoint but as you already know, expect some degradation of clarity over the years. If your night driving is limited then you might not see much loss in clarity for many years. Worst case you can just swap headlight 3-4 yrs down the line if they lost clarity or return to stock bulbs if you notice change starting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks