Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2020, 00:22   #301
BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Let me know if you have installed it. I tried sending you PM but don't see an option (probably cos I'm new). I guess this should be the best and quickest turnaround for now.
I have got the relay kit installed with the 100w bulbs, did it at home with stuff bought from Amazon. There isn't much of a difference in my case, the high beam has some improvement, the brightness as well as the throw but it's marginal. Meanwhile the low beam seems the same, and it's the low beam which i wanted to improve. I will be removing the kit and returning it back on amzon.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 12:46   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I have got the relay kit installed with the 100w bulbs, did it at home with stuff bought from Amazon. There isn't much of a difference in my case, the high beam has some improvement, the brightness as well as the throw but it's marginal. Meanwhile the low beam seems the same, and it's the low beam which i wanted to improve. I will be removing the kit and returning it back on amzon.
Hi,
Some of you wanted to see Pics of my Bike with the H4 Led headlight bulb in installed condition. Here they are. (However I don't have any pics of the Halogen Bulbs and these are only with the 4300K LED Bulbs Installed).
Low beam:
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20200918_185622.jpg
The low beam output is 1.5X of the Halogen and spread is similar to the Halogen bulb, but a bit wider.

High Beam
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20200918_185627.jpg
In High beam, both the low beam LED and High beam LED are on together so effective light is 3x of the Halogen.

The Circular rings you see in the High beam pic is due to the design rings in the Headlight Glass of the Jawa 42.
(I use my main door for aiming the headlights!)

PS: These LEDs are good for Bikes with H4 55W/60W bulb, but may not work with Modern cars as you need Canbus compatible ones and these ones are Non-Canbus.
I have seen Canbus compatible ones from the same supplier, but they are available only in 6000K CCT.
This is the link for the Canbus bulbs (6000K only).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000292849358.html

Last edited by Behemoth : 28th September 2020 at 12:53.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 11:10   #303
BHPian

Want to upgrade the lights on 3 of my vehicles so suggestions will be welcome.

1) my Kia Seltos htx + (has an led set up but I think it's 6k), drove the car at night in a national highway and in pouring rain, it was as good as non existent and I want to change this. Please can you advise on this?

2) my old Apache 180 rtr ( I have been restoring this), driving is 95% city, but the halogens are poor, so any suggestions to upgrade?

3) rode my dad's Activa yesterday and he might as well have used a torch in the dome, the lighting is non existent. Can something be fixed here?

Cheers
Old 21st November 2020, 20:22   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
No wiring changes or relays required as they are within the original 60/55W spec and have the standard connectors.

Pick the ones you need to order based on this table in the Scorpio manual. Section 2.4 Bulb Specifications in the online version https://www.withyouhamesha.com/owner...PIO-mHawk.html

I installed these and fair warning, the throw is pretty long - and super bright. Use high beam and fogs rarely if at all.
Am looking to change stock headlight bulbs of a 2009 Scorpio as they have dimmed a fair bit. But don't want to buy from Aliexpress. Do we have any good option here which is a direct replacement and not too expensive?

I also read somewhere that reflectors play a major role in beam forming so the bulb should be replaced accordingly.

Last edited by JKBKS : 21st November 2020 at 20:24.
Old 29th November 2020, 14:43   #305
BHPian

Hi team,

I need a small clarification regarding the bulb type for the fog projector lamp housing in the Hyundai Grand I10 NIOS as I am planning for a LED/HID upgrade in the near future.

I have attached the snapshot from the manual here :

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-i10-nios-bulbs.jpg

As you can see, the bulb type is mentioned as "51W". But I couldn't find any bulb of that type when googling neither could I verify it visually as the housing is hidden behind the bumper(I'm pretty inexperienced in automobiles. I verified the headlamps though. They are HB3).

Can anyone confirm the bulb type for the fog projector housing and if it's indeed 51W or something like HB3/HB4 etc?

Thanks in advance!
Old 1st December 2020, 00:27   #306
BHPian

Hi. Can anyone guide me with the bulb type for the fog lamps of an Elite i20 please. Looking to upgrade the fog lamp bulbs but can't find any info on the type. Thanks.
Old 5th December 2020, 08:51   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Hi. Can anyone guide me with the bulb type for the fog lamps of an Elite i20 please. Looking to upgrade the fog lamp bulbs but can't find any info on the type. Thanks.
Fog lamp bulb should be H27-881 type.
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 09:20   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Am looking to change stock headlight bulbs of a 2009 Scorpio as they have dimmed a fair bit. But don't want to buy from Aliexpress. Do we have any good option here which is a direct replacement and not too expensive?

I also read somewhere that reflectors play a major role in beam forming so the bulb should be replaced accordingly.
I hope this reply isn't too late. I'm seeing this now.

Please have the headlight assembly cleaned and polished so that it looks clear like brand new, else you know what to do, install new assembly they are cheap anyway. Now install a pair of orginal philips 60/55 bulbs and have the headlamp aligned at the dealer with the chart.

You can do triple digit speeds all night with this set up.

Replace bulbs after every 200 hours use.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 10:47   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I hope this reply isn't too late. I'm seeing this now.

Please have the headlight assembly cleaned and polished so that it looks clear like brand new, else you know what to do, install new assembly they are cheap anyway. Now install a pair of orginal philips 60/55 bulbs and have the headlamp aligned at the dealer with the chart.

You can do triple digit speeds all night with this set up.

Replace bulbs after every 200 hours use.
Thanks Kosfactor. I am still waiting
The headlights are mostly clear. Only about top 20% is hazy. Is this cleaning/polishing better done at a dealer or a local Mechanic? Last week I was at Mahindra dealer service center and they didn't mention cleaning the headlights when asked. But suggested I should go with a 100/90 Phillips H4 bulbs using a Phillips relay to improve the headlights. So that's what I am leaning to. But it will be good to get the cleaning done anyways.

Last edited by JKBKS : 5th December 2020 at 10:48.
Old 5th December 2020, 11:21   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Thanks Kosfactor. I am still waiting
The headlights are mostly clear. Only about top 20% is hazy. Is this cleaning/polishing better done at a dealer or a local Mechanic? Last week I was at Mahindra dealer service center and they didn't mention cleaning the headlights when asked. But suggested I should go with a 100/90 Phillips H4 bulbs using a Phillips relay to improve the headlights. So that's what I am leaning to. But it will be good to get the cleaning done anyways.
Yes not a bit of haziness should be there, apply some wax over it to protect it afterwards. You can do it at a local shop, especially the shops who do body work.

You can very well add a relay and up the wattage, but then your headlight will always be in 'highway' mode , too much light for normal city roads. As you double the wattage you don't get double the light unfortunately, a lot of it is going to be heat, not the best way to treat things made of plastic.

Restore them , if you want even more light for those highway runs - Install a pair of Hella driving lights to glow along with the high beam.
Old 5th December 2020, 11:56   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Yes not a bit of haziness should be there, apply some wax over it to protect it afterwards. You can do it at a local shop, especially the shops who do body work.

You can very well add a relay and up the wattage, but then your headlight will always be in 'highway' mode , too much light for normal city roads. As you double the wattage you don't get double the light unfortunately, a lot of it is going to be heat, not the best way to treat things made of plastic.

Restore them , if you want even more light for those highway runs - Install a pair of Hella driving lights to glow along with the high beam.
Hella will be an overkill I think since I hardly get to drive these days. My weekly run is about 50-100 kms locally with negligible night driving. The reason for going for 100/90 bulbs is for one of those days (3-4 times a year max) when highway night driving may be required

Last edited by JKBKS : 5th December 2020 at 12:02.
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:43   #312
BHPian

Hello Guys I daily drive a 2013 Polo SR, IMO Polo has one of the worst headlight and is not at all sufficient for highway drives, hence I was using upgraded Philips Rally H4 90/130 W for quite some time now , and recently a Bike bumped into me and the right headlight clamp is broken, and even after repairing It seems like light is out of alignment. So I have been thinking of upgrading my headlight unit.

70% of my drives are on city and 20% long highways runs and 10% on totally unlit twisty roads.

Though look wise I like Chinese LED projectors for Polo , but not too inclines towards it as I found some of it to be way out of chart and will blind oncoming traffic also have a concern on reliability .

I will be keeping this car for another 3 year.
Fellow BHPians Suggestions are upmost welcome.
Old 8th January 2021, 10:15   #313
BHPian

I have been using Philips Ultinon H7 LED's on my Linea low beams for the past 2 years. They seem good only when everything is dark. The light spread is a lot better than halogens probably because of the length of the bulb. The light is of hardly any use when the road is wet or raining.

I used 80W H7 Osram bulbs on stock wiring as a replacement to test out the spread but I feel I was better off with the LED's purely from a light spread perspective. May be that is how it is supposed to be with the reflectors or may be I got used to the LED spread.

I am exploring the Osram H7 LED's?. Ordered these and am expecting them tomorrow. Not sure if these are COB, CSP or CREE LED's.

Apart from the usual Night breakers or Extreme Vision options, anyone other options for the H7 low beams I can try?
Old 10th January 2021, 10:46   #314
BHPian

The Osram LED’s arrived and I installed them. Couldn’t wait till it got dark to see how they faired.

I should say I was really surprised with the light output. The beam pattern is very close to the halogen counterparts and the cutoff is near stock.
In terms of visibility, they are way better than the Philips Ultinon LED’s.

In case anyone is looking for H7 LED’s for the Linea low beams, I would definitely recommend these.
eagle_bush is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:46   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bush View Post
The Osram LED’s arrived and I installed them. Couldn’t wait till it got dark to see how they faired.
I got these installed with my service on my Linea, Lights need a bit of adjustment but the illumination is so much better than before. And they seem like the CSP style LEDs like the Philips ones.

Have you changed the high beam too?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks