Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2022, 14:17   #511
BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
I use them in my Honda WRV. I am very satisfied with their performance. Of course, I use them in conjunction with IPH CAR M617 fogs that I specifically use for city driving.
A small question regarding the H4 LED bulbs. Are you using them with the standard reflectors or do you have a projector setup?
Old 1st December 2022, 15:07   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
If you are keen for 4300k Led bulbs, try to get H4 type DHC LED bulbs H55 in 4300k.
Thank you very much Behemoth. Actually I am looking for 4300k, but didn't see any in Amazon. Good point on vertical alignment, I didn't know that. I think I will try this with Reflector assembly, I couldn't find a Projector assembly for Honda Brio.
Old 3rd December 2022, 06:20   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbhp View Post
A small question regarding the H4 LED bulbs. Are you using them with the standard reflectors or do you have a projector setup?
The headlights have standard reflectors. I guess if the LEDs are made to the specifications of halogen bulbs, in the sense of positioning of their light source vis-a-vis the halogen filaments, the light output comes out appropriate without the usual glare many people complain about.

The other day I watched a YouTube video where someone was demonstrating much brighter DHC LEDs that are 75W. Usually their bulbs are available both in 6500k and 4300k.
lejhoom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 18:35   #514
BHPian

Quote:
The headlights have standard reflectors. I guess if the LEDs are made to the specifications of halogen bulbs, in the sense of positioning of their light source vis-a-vis the halogen filaments, the light output comes out appropriate without the usual glare many people complain about.
Thank you so much for the clarification. Guess I will bite the bullet and order a pair of the 4300K LED bulbs. Will try using in the vertical alignment position mentioned by Behemoth.

Cheers
Ram
marsbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 17:19   #515
BANNED

I have been unable to locate any good headlights/DRLs for Polo, the ones I see are online and of dubious credentials. Does anyone have good suggestions?
Old 6th December 2022, 17:31   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If it was easy enough then car manufacturers would simply add an H4 replacement LED bulb and call it a day. But they do not, they design a different reflector or projector assembly for LED headlights, HID headlights etc.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 23:48   #517
BHPian

Cost of the bulb is a big factor. Normal halogen bulbs costs around ₹250. Good LEDs ₹7500.

Also, watch this.

This is an old video. Many other manufacturers have learnt the art now.
lejhoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 18:39   #518
BHPian

Need advice: Fog lamps for Honda Jazz VX

Quote:
Other option which you can take is to upgrade your foglights to projector LED ones from IPH - the M617 is really good and also come with tri colour output. These can then be wired also with High beam function as they are shuttered and have Low/High functionality. I am using the IPH M617 in my Jeep Compass and they work quite well. Only drawback is that the fog lights are placed low in the bumper so their reach will not be as far as required.
Hi Behemoth,

Apologies for the rather lame question, but is it possible for me to install similar fog lamps in Honda Jazz VX CVT? (Manufacturing month: September 2022) Thanks to your advice, I installed Osram LED H4 headlights, and the story could get complete with proper fog lamps. In fact, the headlights being white (6000K), it would be fantastic to have IPH fog lamps at 3000K to help compensate during rains or fog, and under extreme conditions, having both headlights + fog lamps on would do wonders!

But here is the issue:
  1. It is Honda Jazz VX model. The top (ZX) variant gives separate LED fog lamps, along with on-off switch on the lighting control knobs. VX model does not!
  2. For the VX model, in fog lamp slots, they have given DRLs.
  3. As soon as we start the car, DRLs turn on automatically.
  4. As soon as we start parking lights or headlights, DRLs turn off automatically.
  5. The Honda person says it is not possible to install any fog lamps!! This is because (as per them) their wiring does not have any extra switch/provision for turning the fog lamps on or off! It really feels stupid that one cannot even install fog lamps in fog lamp slots!

I am very thankful to Honda for making such fantastic cars with fuss free ownership. But when it comes to any such modifications, they are known to totally discourage you and try pushing their own accessories only. I was keen to find any workaround so that I can get the DRLs replaced by proper fog lamps, but without voiding the warranty. If an extra switch can be provisioned to turn these on/off from within the cabin, that's perfectly good too!
jaysheth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 19:26   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need advice: Fog lamps for Honda Jazz VX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
Hi Behemoth,

Apologies for the rather lame question, but is it possible for me to install similar fog lamps in Honda Jazz VX CVT? (Manufacturing month: September 2022) Thanks to your advice, I installed Osram LED H4 headlights, and the story could get complete with proper fog lamps. In fact, the headlights being white (6000K), it would be fantastic to have IPH fog lamps at 3000K to help compensate during rains or fog, and under extreme conditions, having both headlights + fog lamps on would do wonders!

!
Well in this case, you cannot use the DRLs as fog lamps are they are meant to operate only in the daytime and will not operate at night. So technically you cannot use this circuit for installing fog lights.
There is one thing though which you could do is install a relay wiring kit which is triggered from your H4 headlights and also can draw power directly from your battery. That is a fairly common installation method used for installing HID lights and extra fog lights on cars which don't have factory wiring.
However before taking the plunge, please check whether your car has 3 inch round fog light mounting option. If it does, the IPH M617 will be an easy fit.

What you can also do it have a double H4 splitter wire installed which can draw power from your headlamp circuits for both the headlight as well as the fog lamps. The Osram H4 bulbs are 25w and the IPH fog lamps are 35w and even with both together they would only draw 60w total which around the 55/60w which the halogen h4 bulbs draw.
However the catch will be that your headlights and the foglights would be on together only and not separately.
Another possible approach for you is to have a hard switch installed along with wiring kit on your dash which will allow you to switch the foglights on/off as per your wish. However this method will be most intrusive.

Last edited by Behemoth : 17th December 2022 at 19:39.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 09:26   #520
BHPian

Re: Need advice: Fog lamps for Honda Jazz VX

Quote:
Well in this case, you cannot use the DRLs as fog lamps are they are meant to operate only in the daytime and will not operate at night. So technically you cannot use this circuit for installing fog lights.
There is one thing though which you could do is install a relay wiring kit which is triggered from your H4 headlights and also can draw power directly from your battery. That is a fairly common installation method used for installing HID lights and extra fog lights on cars which don't have factory wiring.
However before taking the plunge, please check whether your car has 3 inch round fog light mounting option. If it does, the IPH M617 will be an easy fit.

What you can also do it have a double H4 splitter wire installed which can draw power from your headlamp circuits for both the headlight as well as the fog lamps. The Osram H4 bulbs are 25w and the IPH fog lamps are 35w and even with both together they would only draw 60w total which around the 55/60w which the halogen h4 bulbs draw.
However the catch will be that your headlights and the foglights would be on together only and not separately.
Another possible approach for you is to have a hard switch installed along with wiring kit on your dash which will allow you to switch the foglights on/off as per your wish. However this method will be most intrusive.
Well, I need the flexibility of (a) using only headlights, (b) using only fog lamps, and (c) using both headlights and fog lamps together, so that the car can be driven in all weather conditions. For instance, in dense fog, only yellow fog lamps (with headlights off) would be the best bet. On non-foggy (dry weather) nights on express highways, white fog lamps + headlights would be the best combo. For normal city drives with illuminated roads, only one would suffice and so on.

I checked with Amit Sawhney from Blaze India, who sells IPH M617. He suggested to install these as "aux lights", in the air vent of the lower part of the bumper. That way, zero modification would be required to existing headlamp/DRL setup, and an extra switch will be provisioned for turning these aux bulbs on/off.
  1. Is installing IPH M617 tri-colour LED a viable option?
  2. Are aux lights legal?
  3. I believe some cutting of grill would be required. Is that normal?
  4. Will it have any impact on the warranty?
  5. Are there any other drawbacks of this option?

If the above is a practical solution, I could go with that. That way, I might never need to replace 6000K Osram H4 LED headlights, as during monsoons, I can turn on the M617 at 3000K along with that. May I live happily ever after!

IPM H617 Tri-colour LED does look to be the best possible option (I never knew this option existed, until seeing your post on Team BHP. Ability to switch between 4300K, 6000K and 3000K is absolutely amazing!!! ). To keep things simple and minimalistic, I would also prefer the LED option (instead of HID, for the simplicty LED offers over HID. A great video below.). That way, as you rightly said, I would still be within total of 60W limit even with headlamps + aux lights both on (25W + 35W). And when I don't need both lights, it would be so gentle on the electricity requirements (e.g. only 25W).

To all who are in dilemma regarding LED versus HID, check out this great video:

Last edited by jaysheth : 19th December 2022 at 09:28.
jaysheth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 23:16   #521
BHPian

My experience with Osram H4 LED headlamps on Honda Jazz VX

I did Pune-Mumbai-Pune this Tuesday 20/12/2022 in my 2022 Honda Jazz VX CVT. Around 1.5 hours of my return journey was in dark, as I had intended to test my Osram H4 LED headlamps housed inside existing reflector setup of the Jazz. All Honda Jazz variants only come with reflector setup including the top ZX variant (which houses white LEDs from a brand called Martini, but again in the reflector setup).

Observations:
  1. It was a dark night, but with dry and clear weather.

2. The Osram H4 6000K LED low beam (at the lowest level - level 0 - as per the leveler switch) was quite good, but with limited distance. I found this more ideal for city driving. The only flip side of city driving aspect, however, was my inability and helplessness to cut bright yellow lights from oncoming vehicles. Each time that happened, I missed my halogens.

3. The low beam at the next level - level 1 - was not as bright as level 0 but the distance covered was little more. I could comfortably drive at 98 kmph during the night (had to remain within 100 kmph limit anyways. Was using cruise control intermittently whenever situation allowed). I would not say it was superb (for the reasons mentioned in the previous and the subsequent points), but it was adequate. We can safely say that when it is very dark (yet in dry weather), these bulbs do very well. When there is enough external light, you don't find them too useful (yellow is easier to perceive than white, in such cases).

4. Even though the low beam performance was better than the stock headlamp setup, it left me longing for more. I wished I had a brighter headlamp with yellowish light (4300K or less). This is because, whenever there was external light (e.g. near and within tunnels), your white lights would sound inadequate.

5. The high beam, on the other hand, was not adequate at all (it didn't do the intended job, neither in city, nor on highways). While folks generally prefer driving on high beam on highways, I was much more comfortable driving on low beam because of (a) better focus and (b) high beam getting too intrusive for the cabin of the vehicles ahead, and I knew I was troubling them each time. Hence I ended up using it for less than 1% of the time (when there were no vehicles ahead), and even then I decided to switch to low beam with highest leveller within the low beam, as that illuminated the road better than the high beam).

6. The thought of "what if it would be raining heavily or foggy" was scary, as white lights create a problem by diffusing and hampering driver's vision instead of aiding it. In monsoon/foggy weather, I will certainly not risk venturing out with only the white LED headlamps.

Inferences/Verdict:
  1. If a car has only headlamps and no foglamps, Osram H4 LEDs will certainly not be enough in all weather conditions. My search for even better H4 LEDs continues.

2. I strongly felt that Osram H4 LEDs would have been enough, if clubbed with an additional set of foglamps or aux lights. That combo would have immensely aided in the vision and confidence levels. In particular, I wished I had IPH M617 tri-colour LED foglamps, I could have lived happily ever after , as depending on weather conditions, I could have turned it on at 3000K (yellow), 4300K (yellowish + whitish) or 5500K (white). That could have been a one-stop solution for all weathers.

3. I so much wish all car manufacturers should stop giving H4, and they should give an H7 setup. The ability of having separate bulbs for low and high beam is required. Having to tweak with only H4 setup can get life threatening, especially if you have no further foglamps or aux lights (see the next point).

4. I am annoyed at Honda for not allowing me to remove the DRLs housed in the fog lamp cage, to install proper foglamps there! They are saying the warranty would lapse, if I do any such thing!! The tri-colour LED foglamp mentioned above would have been a saviour under several driving conditions. On dry nights, I could set it to 5500K, along with headlamps, and drive so much more comfortably. On rainy nights, I could set it to 3000K or 4300K depending on the intensity of rains. On foggy conditions, I could set it to 3000K and could turn the headlamps off. Honda has snatched away all these possibilities from me. Why, Honda? Cutting costs on this very serious safety aspect by giving substandard halogens, that too H4, that too on a reflector setup, in a premium hatch?

Has anyone tried tweaking the DRL setup to house proper foglamps, or tried these as aux lamps, without impacting the warranty?
jaysheth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 15:13   #522

After reading lot of reviews here, I purchased iph car M617 tri color LED fog lamps for my Nexon and installed it today (DIY).

I am only interested in low beam, and connected only the Red wire to +ve & black wire to -ve terminal. While in Ignition on, I am to change the colors by turning on and off my fog lamp switch. But strangely, the lights start to flicker as soon as I turn on the engine along with fog lamps. Looks like it is rapidly changing color due to some fluctuations.

Any hints here on how I can solve this?? I have not connected the yellow (high beam) & white (ground). Do I need to connect the ground wire somewhere? Any pointers here would be very helpful.
Old 25th December 2022, 16:09   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganatguru View Post
After reading lot of reviews here, I purchased iph car M617 tri color LED fog lamps for my Nexon and installed it today (DIY).

I am only interested in low beam, and connected only the Red wire to +ve & black wire to -ve terminal. While in Ignition on, I am to change the colors by turning on and off my fog lamp switch. But strangely, the lights start to flicker as soon as I turn on the engine along with fog lamps. Looks like it is rapidly changing color due to some fluctuations.

Any hints here on how I can solve this?? I have not connected the yellow (high beam) & white (ground). Do I need to connect the ground wire somewhere? Any pointers here would be very helpful.
Dont switch on the engine after you have switched on the fog lamps as when you crank the ignition all the other light circuits are switched off momentarily and this will change the colour of the lights. Switch the lights only after you have switched on the engine. To change between colours just toggle the switch on/of within 2-3 seconds to change the colour.
If you are still experiencing flickering, there must be a loose connection in your wiring. In my case I had attached female H11 connectors to the light and then plugged that into the male h11 connectors of the wiring harness which were for the fog lights and they work perfectly.

If you don't need high beam, you can leave the yellow and white wires u connected. In my case I have combined the Yellow and Red ; White and black wires together to keep the lights permanently in high beam as they are placed very low in the Compass and even in High beam mode they do no cause any glare.

Last edited by Behemoth : 25th December 2022 at 16:11.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 19:55   #524
BHPian

What?
Osram H4 46204CW LED Headlamp integrated driver (Set of 2,25/25W 12V)
1 year manufacturer guarantee.

Installed on 2020 Ford Aspire Titanium+
Stock reflector headlights!

Amazon India

https://amzn.eu/d/8ykaL6N

Price : INR 3300

After pondering for several months over countless options to upgrade my candle like factory fitted H4 halogen bulbs, finally took the plunge. And boy, what a shocker!

I was skeptical of the performance of LEDs fitted into reflector type headlights. Pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

The throw, LHS to RHS range and brightness have exceeded my expectations, by many fold.

DIY installation done at night, with the vehicle placed 5 meters away, facing a wall.
With a little coaxing, got the bulbs to fit flush inside the rubber dust guard cap. No cutting required.

Important: The car's reflectors are in good condition. This is a prerequisite for the best outcome with new LED bulbs.

Note : Headlight levelling function is a boon. Depending on the specific vehicle's ride height, play around with the setting and there will be NO ISSUE of poor high beam with LEDs fitted into a reflector set-up. Kindly use high beam responsibly, on empty highways where you need to see into the distance in the absence of oncoming traffic.

I used the headlight leveller setting at maximum upward angle for high beam (for very brief period in the absence of oncoming traffic on highways) and the result was mind-blowing.

As illustrated in the images attached, perfect horizontal cut off achieved with gradual alignment of both LEDs to perfect vertical position.

Various weather conditions?
Just installed few days ago. I have no doubt that the LEDs will be rendered useless in rains.
Solution : Intend to fit the original halogens for few weeks of heavy rain season.

Side note : Retained the original H11 bulbs in fog light assembly, for now.

I will gladly post more pictures if required by any of our fellow esteemed Bhp'ians.

The discussions on this thread have helped immensely in providing some clarity on such a confounding topic.

Patience does pay off!
Attached Thumbnails
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20221225_200000287.jpg  

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20221225_200016589.jpg  

Last edited by TDCi4Life : 26th December 2022 at 19:59. Reason: Additional remarks.
TDCi4Life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 00:18   #525
BHPian

The Tata Punch adventure has the following stock setup:
Headlight : Halogens
HighBeam: 12V 55W H7(HV)/ 60W H4(LV)
Low Beam: 12V 55W H7(HV)/ H4(LV)

Fogs: None (3” cutout)

The car will be mostly a city runner but will make occasional Mum-Pune-Nashik runs. I want to first install decent fog lamps in the car for improved rain/fog visibility during the Monsoons. A later upgrade could be Headlight upgrade to better Halogens or maybe LED(?).

1. What is HV LV mean? Why does the user manual say H4 and H7?
2. Since no fogs exist do I have the opportunity to install any type - Halogen, LED, Projector, HID?
3. Tata offers genuine accessory Fog Lamps - DLAA LED for 8K! They look basic and cheap but Tata offers 2 year warranty. Should I go for them? CarHatke also sell DLAA Fogs for 2K.
4. Boodomo and GoMechanic also sell Tata Punch OEM Halogen Fog Lamps with Osram (Germany) H16 chip for 2500.
5. Should I explore the IPH projectors since stock headlights are poor Halogens?

Car will be delivered in a few weeks and monsoons are a while away so I plan to drive for a while and then upgrade.

Last edited by VPJ74 : 27th December 2022 at 00:22. Reason: Correction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks