Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2023, 22:08   #601
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
Hi Behemoth, how are you finding these? Since you have formerly tried Osram LED 25W 6000K, could you share how Osram 50W 4200K LEDs compare with these in real world conditions?

It has just been a week now that I have been using them as I could not get time ro install them earlier. Installation in the compass is quite a tedious process which involves taking down the wheels on either side and then opening up the wheel well to access the headlamps.
In my case I did not find much marked improvement over my 42w HIDs and the light output is similar and in fact I felt that the high beam is a bit weaker and the hotspot is not as bright. Also the low beam seems a bit narrow for my liking. Overall it is a mixed bag and not up to my expectations as probably I was expecting a 2x improvement and compared to my Hids it is barely 1.1x
I aligned the beams with the blade flat and also checked it using a paper over the headlight as shown. The blades have a significant dark spot and if these dark spots were in either low beam or high beam, the result would be even worse!

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20230409_191558.jpg

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20230409_191550.jpg

Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_20230409_114655.jpg

Overall I feel happy that I had actually got the IPH M617 foglights are those are just brilliant and perform well. Compared to those, these osram 50W are barely 50% in light output.
So for anyone looking for better light, my first recommendation would be to get led projector foglights - either IPHM617 or GTR - these itself will be enough and there is no need for anything else.
Behemoth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 15:24   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
It has just been a week now that I have been using them as I could not get time ro install them earlier. Installation in the compass is quite a tedious process which involves taking down the wheels on either side and then opening up the wheel well to access the headlamps.
In my case I did not find much marked improvement over my 42w HIDs and the light output is similar and in fact I felt that the high beam is a bit weaker and the hotspot is not as bright. Also the low beam seems a bit narrow for my liking. Overall it is a mixed bag and not up to my expectations as probably I was expecting a 2x improvement and compared to my Hids it is barely 1.1x
I aligned the beams with the blade flat and also checked it using a paper over the headlight as shown. The blades have a significant dark spot and if these dark spots were in either low beam or high beam, the result would be even worse!

Attachment 2438408

Attachment 2438409

Attachment 2438410

Overall I feel happy that I had actually got the IPH M617 foglights are those are just brilliant and perform well. Compared to those, these osram 50W are barely 50% in light output.
So for anyone looking for better light, my first recommendation would be to get led projector foglights - either IPHM617 or GTR - these itself will be enough and there is no need for anything else.
Thanks Behemoth. I have got an XUV 300 so IPH foglights cant be used due to their different size.

What approach would you now suggest (after having used both HID/50W LED) for Projector (low beam) and reflector (high beam) of XUV 300? Am not happy with stock lighting.

Also is there any LED that can be put in XUV 300 fog lights (H16 19W is the current bulb in there)?
Old 10th April 2023, 15:32   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Thanks Behemoth. I have got an XUV 300 so IPH foglights cant be used due to their different size.

What approach would you now suggest (after having used both HID/50W LED) for Projector (low beam) and reflector (high beam) of XUV 300? Am not happy with stock lighting.

Also is there any LED that can be put in XUV 300 fog lights (H16 19W is the current bulb in there)?
If you need a substantial improvement in the light levels, I would recommed that you go for 55w 4200k Hid in your low beams (as they are projector units). For your high beam, you can go for LEDs with 50w wattage with CCT as per your preference.
For your fog lights, any change in bulb will not give you improvement as the fog lights have a wide spread pattern and increased light level will just cause a lot of scatter and glare to other users.
What you can also check is if adapter bezels are available for the XUV 300 which can help you fit 3 inch fog light projectors in the existing space. If yes, that would be a good option too.

One more expensive but effective option is to have your headlamps opened and the low beam projector replaced with retrofit LED projector (with lo/Hi shutter). This is also a very good improvement but will cost around 25k for the set of projectors (19k for Osram CBI pro + 7.5k fitment) - this was the approach I took for my MG Hector plus and it is quite effective.

Last edited by Behemoth : 10th April 2023 at 15:33.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 18:01   #604
BHPian

Quote:
If you need a substantial improvement in the light levels, I would recommed that you go for 55w 4200k Hid in your low beams (as they are projector units). For your high beam, you can go for LEDs with 50w wattage with CCT as per your preference.
For your fog lights, any change in bulb will not give you improvement as the fog lights have a wide spread pattern and increased light level will just cause a lot of scatter and glare to other users.
What you can also check is if adapter bezels are available for the XUV 300 which can help you fit 3 inch fog light projectors in the existing space. If yes, that would be a good option too.

One more expensive but effective option is to have your headlamps opened and the low beam projector replaced with retrofit LED projector (with lo/Hi shutter). This is also a very good improvement but will cost around 25k for the set of projectors (19k for Osram CBI pro + 7.5k fitment) - this was the approach I took for my MG Hector plus and it is quite effective.
I don't drive much at night but will be undertaking a cross country down the line and that's why am thinking of upgrading the lights. I think you assessed HID to be ard 10% better than Osram 50W LED. I believe you have this or something similar (https://www.uglare.com/product/55w-a...nversion-kits/). Am sorry but didn't understand the CCT part you mentioned for the high beam.

So am leaning towards going with Osram 50W LEDs (from Planet care guys) in Projector low beam as this seems to be an easier/simpler option than getting HIDs installed. And will test these in high beam too just to see the response in reflector set up.

Thanks for the clarity on Foglights LED. Spoke to Karol bagh guy whom i used for accessories. He said that though adapter bezels are available but they are not reliable and dont hold on for long. So am leaning towards keeping foglight as it is.

Last edited by JKBKS : 10th April 2023 at 18:02.
Old 11th April 2023, 10:14   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't drive much at night but will be undertaking a cross country down the line and that's why am thinking of upgrading the lights. I think you assessed HID to be ard 10% better than Osram 50W LED. I believe you have this or something similar (https://www.uglare.com/product/55w-a...nversion-kits/). Am sorry but didn't understand the CCT part you mentioned for the high beam.

So am leaning towards going with Osram 50W LEDs (from Planet care guys) in Projector low beam as this seems to be an easier/simpler option than getting HIDs installed. And will test these in high beam too just to see the response in reflector set up.

Thanks for the clarity on Foglights LED. Spoke to Karol bagh guy whom i used for accessories. He said that though adapter bezels are available but they are not reliable and dont hold on for long. So am leaning towards keeping foglight as it is.
Yes 55w Hids would be around 10% better than the 50w osram Leds. Mine are 42w Asic HIDs and actually 10% less than the 50w osram Leds in 4200k. What I also feel is that the 6000k Osram Leds should be at least 20% higher light output and coupled with higher sensitivity of our eyes to bluish white light, the perceived light with Osram 6000k 50w could be 30-40% higher than the light from the 4200k version.
Also the headlight projector design also has a. Impact on the light and I have a feeling that in my case the projectors are not that great - they also have a milky lens (to block glare). In new retrofit projectors you get clear blue lens which has much better light transmission.
So the results for other people could be better than mine if their projector is better designed.
Also if you are not really in need of 4200k light I would suggest to try the 6000k version instead as that will surely have better light output.

(PS - CCT is the colour temperature of light - 3000k is warm, 4200k is neutral white, 6000k and above is cool light)

Last edited by Behemoth : 11th April 2023 at 10:15.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 11:24   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Yes 55w Hids would be around 10% better than the 50w osram Leds. Mine are 42w Asic HIDs and actually 10% less than the 50w osram Leds in 4200k. What I also feel is that the 6000k Osram Leds should be at least 20% higher light output and coupled with higher sensitivity of our eyes to bluish white light, the perceived light with Osram 6000k 50w could be 30-40% higher than the light from the 4200k version.
Also the headlight projector design also has a. Impact on the light and I have a feeling that in my case the projectors are not that great - they also have a milky lens (to block glare). In new retrofit projectors you get clear blue lens which has much better light transmission.
So the results for other people could be better than mine if their projector is better designed.
Also if you are not really in need of 4200k light I would suggest to try the 6000k version instead as that will surely have better light output.

(PS - CCT is the colour temperature of light - 3000k is warm, 4200k is neutral white, 6000k and above is cool light)
Thanks again for more insights leading to more learning!! Now some new questions have arisen:

1. I read somewhere that 4200K light gives more depth perception when compared with 5500/6000K light. So what should be the criteria of choosing color temperature? Typical use case is night driving in cities where street lighting is also there. And once in a year (4-5 days) pitch dark highway driving
2. Aren't modern Projectors built for most efficiency (talking of XUV300 that is based on a global Tivoli platform)?
3. This (https://www.uglare.com/product/55w-a...nversion-kits/) is offering 4500k and 5500k options. What do you think which one would be better for my use case?
4. This (https://www.planetcarcare.com/produc...7970843b&_ss=r) does not give an option to select between 4200k and 6000k. How does one choose the color temperature here?
5. And finally, given your expertise & experience in automotive lighting, what approach would you take if you were to be in my shoes

Last edited by JKBKS : 11th April 2023 at 11:25.
Old 11th April 2023, 11:31   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again for more insights leading to more learning!! Now some new questions have arisen:

5. And finally, given your expertise & experience in automotive lighting, what approach would you take if you were to be in my shoes
Well if I were in your place, I would go with 5500k 55w HID in the low beam projectors and 6000k 50w Leds in the High beam.
In planetcarcare when you place the order, there is a comment box in which you have to mention the Colour temperature and they will send the same to you.

Regarding colour temperature, 4200k is better for rainy and foggy conditions but 5500k and above is better for black top roads in normal conditions.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 11:44   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Well if I were in your place, I would go with 5500k 55w HID in the low beam projectors and 6000k 50w Leds in the High beam.
In planetcarcare when you place the order, there is a comment box in which you have to mention the Colour temperature and they will send the same to you.

Regarding colour temperature, 4200k is better for rainy and foggy conditions but 5500k and above is better for black top roads in normal conditions.
I intend to move back to Delhi next year which would entail far more rainy/foggy driving conditions and some trips to hills as well. And given fog lights of XUV300 are not that great, can I use 4500K HID or 4200 50W LED in Projectors (low beam) instead? Do you think Projector low beam will help in rains/fog or only foglights are of use in such conditions?
Old 11th April 2023, 11:59   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I intend to move back to Delhi next year which would entail far more rainy/foggy driving conditions and some trips to hills as well. And given fog lights of XUV300 are not that great, can I use 4500K HID or 4200 50W LED in Projectors (low beam) instead? Do you think Projector low beam will help in rains/fog or only foglights are of use in such conditions?
Yes in that case you can go for 4500k HIDs as the dispersion is less in rainy and foggy conditions. I would suggest that you go for HIDs in your low beam as the results will be better than the 50w 4200k leds (which I got).
No need for upgrading your foglights - let them be halogen as existing.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 16:18   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Anand, do you have separate low and high beams? maybe share a pic of the headlight to be sure.

Reflector as the name suggest is going to be look like bunch of mirrors vs. projector has a lens in front. Since your main interest is highway driving, throw distance of the light is important and nothing beats halogens for throw unless you get warmer 4300K LEDs which are in short supply.
Sorry for the late response. Yes, there are separate low and high beams. Pic attached.

And it is a reflector and not a projector.

Hence, do you suggest 4300K LEDs for the high beam? Any specific brand/model that you recommend? (Just to refresh - the high beam is a H7 and the low one is a H11) Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-scrossheadlights.png  

Old 13th April 2023, 11:44   #611

Issues with LED fog lamp

I tried upgrading the head and fog lights of my XUV 300 this week. I replaced the yellow bulbs with Blaupunkt led lights of 6000 Kelvin 3200 Lumen lamps. The installation was pretty easy for the head lamps. But for replacing the fog lamp had to open the side profiles.

The lamps are working fine...I have good visibility at night. However, the fog lamps are not working properly. Once I start the car and turn on the fog lamp, it high flashes for a sec and goes off automatically. Can anyone help with how to fix the issue?
Spirited_Bibhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 23:38   #612
BHPian

Finally last week i sorted out a long term known defect in Skoda rapid - The headlamp restoration and upgrade from Reflectionz car care Kochi
This was an issue that i was facing from the day i bought my skoda rapid in 2019. Initially i changed to LED’s for both projectors and high beams from Vagtune kochi but due to poor work and malalignment, it didn’t last long. In 2020 i changed to Azoom HID’s in projectors and stock halogen bulbs in high beams. This lasted for almost 2.5 years. In this duration due to multiple works, the rear cap was open due to which headlamp started fading eventually it started filling with dust and fungus. Then the search for a good headlamp restoration started. There are many people who does this along with detailing but all of them does it with a polish without opening the headlamp assembly.
But i found out Mr.Annson mathew who deals only with headlight restoration works. He is exceptionally talented in his work and this is reflected in his google reviews. I saw few of his works in his youtube channel, instagram and finally decided to make a deal with him . I contacted him, raised my concern and he was truly professional in his work. He explained everything in detail and we fixed a day i dropped my car in his garage. He did the following work

1. LOW BEAM - HELLA G5 BI XENON PROJECTORS
2. HIGH BEAM - OSRAM LED 50 W 4200 K
3. FOG LAMPS - DHC LED 55 W 4200 K
4. HEADLIGHT RESTORATION

Post upgrade, the throw was absolutely stunning. I never knew that i will get this much output. 4300 K is good even during rain. Now i’m truly enjoying night drives with these strong projectors.

post upgrade pic
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_9698.jpeg

Projectors ( Low beam)
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_9860.jpeg

Projectors + High beam
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_9861.jpeg

Low beam with fogs
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_9865.jpeg

Projectors + High beam + Fogs
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_9867.jpeg

Front view with all six 6 bulbs in action
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_9869.jpeg

A partying shot
Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades-img_9868.jpeg

Last edited by nidhinsarath : 16th April 2023 at 23:43.
nidhinsarath is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 12:59   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_roy View Post
Sorry for the late response. Yes, there are separate low and high beams. Pic attached.

And it is a reflector and not a projector.

Hence, do you suggest 4300K LEDs for the high beam? Any specific brand/model that you recommend? (Just to refresh - the high beam is a H7 and the low one is a H11) Thanks in advance.
For this setup I would recommend that you stick with halogens for high beam ideally. Or you need to do some trials of LEDs on the reflector to see the quality of beam. You can order returnable lights from Amazon and fix on 1 side and keep the 2nd side halogen. Turn on against a wall and check if the LED beam pattern is as focused as halogen. If its wider than halogen, then its going to be really bad on highway for night driving since its scattering more. You can try this at an accessory shop as well if he is willing to do it. If you are trying on your own then go ahead with Osram LEDs, they are the best bet. Similarly OSRAM 6000K for low beam projector should work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited_Bibhu View Post
I tried upgrading the head and fog lights of my XUV 300 this week. I replaced the yellow bulbs with Blaupunkt led lights of 6000 Kelvin 3200 Lumen lamps. The installation was pretty easy for the head lamps. But for replacing the fog lamp had to open the side profiles.

The lamps are working fine...I have good visibility at night. However, the fog lamps are not working properly. Once I start the car and turn on the fog lamp, it high flashes for a sec and goes off automatically. Can anyone help with how to fix the issue?
Unable to figure the issue. What type of bulbs were in fog housing and which one did you replace it with? H7, H8 H11 etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post

1. LOW BEAM - HELLA G5 BI XENON PROJECTORS
2. HIGH BEAM - OSRAM LED 50 W 4200 K
3. FOG LAMPS - DHC LED 55 W 4200 K
4. HEADLIGHT RESTORATION

Post upgrade, the throw was absolutely stunning. I never knew that i will get this much output. 4300 K is good even during rain. Now i’m truly enjoying night drives with these strong projectors.
OT car looks great, and the light output as well. However 50W for high beam in my view is an overkill. You will literally blind oncoming traffic if you flash them. Please be considerate in usage.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 11:19   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
OT car looks great, and the light output as well. However 50W for high beam in my view is an overkill. You will literally blind oncoming traffic if you flash them. Please be considerate in usage.
You are right. Here in my area, it is needed in certain situations . More over I hardly use high beams. I’m more than happy with the throw of low beam projectors.
nidhinsarath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 15:32   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recently bought the Osram hb3 50w 4200k leds - ordered them from Planet car care and received them in 2 days via dtdc (as they were shipped from Delhi to Gurgaon). This is what they look like and are similar size as the Osram 25w ones and should not be a problem to fit.
I have ordered them to fit in my Jeep Compass (which has projectors in which I had fitted 42w hids myself). Planning to replace now with these myself (hopefully this weekend or next!)
Cost was 6990 to me including free shipping.
Hey Behemoth, hows the experience with these 50W lights?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks