Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2007, 19:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
According to local tradition, the time between mid-July to mid-August is considered very inauspicious, nobody buys a car in this period.
Over most of India, actually - the Shravan month. But then I've bought both my vehicles in India during EXACTLY this season.

The good thing is that you're more likely to get discounts and faster delivery.

Stock HU on EX used to be MP3 about 2 years back - mine was. If you're buying tyres please buy Michelin Synchrones - worth the extra few thousands.

Last edited by Steeroid : 24th July 2007 at 19:41.
Old 24th July 2007, 19:28   #47
Team-BHP Support

where is Steer when you need him!!! oops you overtook me, and samurai has questions for ya
Old 24th July 2007, 20:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

Very nice choice sir,the safari will serve you well and hope to see many more of your travelogues here.
Old 24th July 2007, 23:12   #49
Senior - BHPian

finally (hope so...), another passion red safari in the group...
Old 25th July 2007, 04:09   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I am considering Passion Red Tata Safari EX 4x4 with 255/65R16 (but which one?) on 16x7.5 alloys and 18+30 months warranty. Does anyone know whether the stock HU supports MP3, if it does I don't have to upgrade the ICE I suppose.
samurai,
1.the stock HU is a blaupunkt monte carlo mp34 (plays radio/cd/mp3) and has an internal wing antenna stuck on the inside of the front windscreen.
2.the company alloys look smart but bring out a sharp cutting sound on harsh turning.
3.the hub locks on a 4x4 are automatic when you shift from 2H to 4H.(its a pleasure to feel that traction...)
however to get back to free wheeling (4H to 2H) you have to reverse 6 metres.

i'm positive you'll enjoy driving your beast around once you lay your hands on her.
Old 25th July 2007, 12:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Samurai.

Though the 255 width will fit on the stock 6.5J rims, i would advise you to change to 7.5J for better results with the 255's.

@ Steer - Any review on the box for the Safari which you have got?
Old 25th July 2007, 12:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, congrats! A review well written but what else could one expect from you .

But Mangalore or no Mangalore, like 1100D I'd really love to read about you putting the Scorpio through this acid test as well - an official validation of both vehicles capabilities as it were by the truly unbiased Moderator of Team BHP
Old 25th July 2007, 14:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
however to get back to free wheeling (4H to 2H) you have to reverse 6 metres.
No you dont need to. 4H to 2H is fairly straightforward. 4L to 2H requires you to engage reverse (if you were in forward gears, else reverse) and take the vehicle back a bit (approx. one vehicle length - till the 4H light goes off on the dash).

I do 2H to 4H and back to 2H quite often - never had to reverse, though I do engage reverse and let go of the clutch just in case.

Last edited by Steeroid : 25th July 2007 at 14:14.
Old 25th July 2007, 14:11   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
2.the company alloys look smart but bring out a sharp cutting sound on harsh turning.
I dont think it has anything to do with alloys (OEM or otherwise). I dont know the exact part but they grease steering pin(correct me if i am wrong) and the noise goes off, only to come back after sometime.

Have you bought your safari or still contemplating? The profile says you haven't.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 25th July 2007 at 14:13.
Old 25th July 2007, 14:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

Lovely write-up

Now am tempted to go for this moster
Old 25th July 2007, 14:57   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Over most of India, actually - the Shravan month. But then I've bought both my vehicles in India during EXACTLY this season.
I just realised that our Santro was delivered on July 22nd, four years back. So I can claim precedence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Though the 255 width will fit on the stock 6.5J rims, i would advise you to change to 7.5J for better results with the 255's.
Thanks BUSA, but I have already mentioned I am going for 16x7.5 alloys, that is the optimal width for 255mm tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Samurai, congrats! A review well written but what else could one expect from you .

But Mangalore or no Mangalore, like 1100D I'd really love to read about you putting the Scorpio through this acid test as well - an official validation of both vehicles capabilities as it were by the truly unbiased Moderator of Team BHP
Oh, thanks for the compliment. But I am not that unbiased, my wife and I always liked the Safari (for looks) since we saw it first in 1997. Scorpio never gave the same feeling.
Old 25th July 2007, 19:50   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
finally (hope so...), another passion red safari in the group...
Sorry man, after comparing passion red with pearl white, I am gunning for the latter. Another plus point is Pearl white is metallic paint while passion red is not.

The dealer said he has League and Aura catalogue, I asked him to hide the Aura catalogue and get only the League catalogue.
Old 25th July 2007, 20:03   #58
Team-BHP Support

I was keeping my mouth shut on your color choice, but white really looks good on safari compared to red and bery bery good choice. White plus slush is AWESOME photo oppurtunities

My perception maybe coz all the red i have seen have these ugly un painted side moldings.
Old 25th July 2007, 20:05   #59
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the decision Samurai, Pearl white look very nice with Safari. I really liked it. Very decent color. I feel for Safari check out AURA too. They have couple of good new designs in 16 inch. Aura is good onbes especially for indian bad road. Imported wheels will have betetr look but reliability its Aura in Indian condition. Plati and League are good as well.

Choose between these 3 alloys

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 25th July 2007 at 20:08.
Old 25th July 2007, 20:38   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
.. after comparing passion red with pearl white, I am gunning for the latter
A pearl white Safari going by is a sight to behold. It's got a stately, dignified presence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
.. I asked him to hide the Aura catalogue ..
Easy, brother. IIRC, you had said your wife is a silent member here, lurking somewhere. I guess she wouldnt miss this thread ..

Most Viewed