Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2007, 19:15   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Why dont drive down to Bangy and do some window shopping ?
I can't in immediate future, my office is about to move into a new building, I gotta be around to take care of every little detail.
Old 26th July 2007, 19:28   #77
Team-BHP Support

dont worry mangalore has some good choices, which you can get done over a weekend drive
Old 27th July 2007, 15:30   #78
BHPian

Doesn't the Safari Dicor 4 X 4 come with Alloy Wheels as OEM ?

-Harshavardhan
Old 27th July 2007, 16:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshavardhan View Post
Doesn't the Safari Dicor 4 X 4 come with Alloy Wheels as OEM ?

-Harshavardhan
Yes, all the safari 4X4 come with alloys as standard.
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:08   #80
Team-BHP Support

I was confused for a while as to where should I put this report. Finally I decided to add this as an addendum to my earlier report.

As you guys know it has been 3 months since my Safari 3.0 review. Although I had decided to buy 3.0L then, it got postponed due to impending release of 2.2L Safari.

Once 2.2L did get released after 2 months of frustrating wait, I was further frustrated by non-availability of TD vehicle and all kind of conflicting reports. So I stretched my budget and decided to check out SUVs in the premier segment within 20L. Last week I test drove the Suzuki Grand Vitara and was very satisfied with it. Although, we felt that the earlier Safari had better ride, but that was comparing between two TDs 3 months apart.

Today the local Tata salesman called up saying that the 2.2L is finally available. So we decided to TD the new Safari so that we can compare with the GV more accurately. The roads were much better during last Safari TD and we drove in pouring rain in muddy track. This time the roads are much worser and bone dry, no slush/water to smoothen the fall into the potholes.

This time we had a VX 4x2 at our disposal. The interiors are definitely better due to beige colour, but already getting dirty. The TD vehicle had already 1500Kms on it, with a big demo sticker all over it, and with working odo.

The acceleration was amazing in either 2nd or 3rd gear, enough to give whip-lash to unsuspecting passengers. I couldn't go any faster than 70Kmph anywhere due to road/traffic conditions, so I don't know about highway performance. However, I was getting this vibration from the engine when I was at 50kmph in 4th and 60kmph at 5th. If I remove my foot from the accelerator, the vibration would stop. The sales guy said that's probably because I was slow for that gear, I couldn't buy that argument somehow.

Now the bad part, actually an unexpected part. The ride was worser than GV on the bad potholed roads. And I am talking about front seat comfort only, we didn't try the back seat today. The Safari has softer suspension than GV. As a result it rolls much more, bounces a lot more on bad potholes, and it couldn't soak up the stabbing shocks from the roads anywhere closer to GV. The sharp shocks were coming through the seat and the steering unlike the GV where it was merely undulating. My wife and I were exchanging surprised looks during this unexpected experience.

Getting in and out needs two steps, reminds you it is a truck. In GV it is a single step although it has very similar GC.

I know I am comparing SUVs from two different segments with 3L diff in price (VX 4x4 vs GV MT). So, it is not fair for Safari. After the TD, wife and I exchanged notes. Considering both are in our budget, the refinement, reliability and even ride-comfort (new addition) offered by GV over Safari is certainly worth that difference, at least in our case, that's our opinion. We do lose out on cost, FE and power, but that is not high on our list.

PS: My wife warned me that this report might sound like rationalization of our GV decision, but I had report our genuine feeling after TDing GV and Safari 2.2L back to back under similar grueling conditions.
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:16   #81
Senior - BHPian

Didnt you have 3 heavy-built guys from the showroom for your GV TD? Did you have the same payload this time?

EDIT: Let me clarify why I asked this question.

GVs are not known for good ride quality. They do bounce around quite a bit - hence I knew exactly why they had brought in 3 heavyset gentlemen for your test drive.

Just for confirmation, here's an extract from the BSM test drive of the GV:

Now to the main bit that reminds me of the Gypsy. Driving the Grand Vitara on decent roads, it tends to bounce around a bit, just like its cousin. It's as if it needs to be filled up with passengers and luggage to improve ride quality. Damping is not felt at all and for a large SUV, it doesn't feel right.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd October 2007 at 13:30.
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:29   #82
Senior - BHPian

Samurai,

By any chance was the Safari running higher psi in the tyres ?
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:48   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Didnt you have 3 heavy-built guys from the showroom for your GV TD? Did you have the same payload this time?

EDIT: Let me clarify why I asked this question.

GVs are not known for good ride quality. They do bounce around quite a bit - hence I knew exactly why they had brought in 3 heavyset gentlemen for your test drive.
This time they brought only 2 heavyset guys, so one less person compared to GV TD. But Safari is 500Kgs heavier, so that's a moot point.

Frankly I went into the TD expecting better ride than GV. That was the only surprise that came out this TD. The steering and engine vibration was another, but that is normal in Tata trucks I suppose.

Quote:
By any chance was the Safari running higher psi in the tyres ?
I wouldn't know, it looked normally inflated on Bridgestone Dueller H/T tyres.

Otherwise, the TD vehicle was in good shape, the gearshift, clutch, gas pedal and brakes felt fine. Nothing to complain about. I had to do a little panic brake to save a biker who slowed down for a pot hole, I could feel the whole weight shift forward, major body roll again as expected in a truck of that size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Just for confirmation, here's an extract from the BSM test drive of the GV:

Now to the main bit that reminds me of the Gypsy. Driving the Grand Vitara on decent roads, it tends to bounce around a bit, just like its cousin. It's as if it needs to be filled up with passengers and luggage to improve ride quality. Damping is not felt at all and for a large SUV, it doesn't feel right.
This could be true, but I at least know it can fixed by adding some weight. I might consider putting couple of nicely sealed sand bags on the back side like they do for pickup trucks.

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd October 2007 at 13:53.
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:53   #84
BHPian

I guess the point of comparing a Petrol SUV which gives 7kmpl is not comparable to a Diesel SUV delivering 11-12 kmpl.

Is Vitara really worth that price. I mean i would rather buy a Honda CRV if it is about ride comfort within 20 Lakhs
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:03   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
I guess the point of comparing a Petrol SUV which gives 7kmpl is not comparable to a Diesel SUV delivering 11-12 kmpl.

Is Vitara really worth that price. I mean i would rather buy a Honda CRV if it is about ride comfort within 20 Lakhs
While the first line makes sense, the second one completely loses the plot.

So instead of comparing a 3L costlier Petrol SUV which gives 7kmpl, you want me to consider 7L costlier petrol SUV which gives 7kmpl. Besides, CR-V is not even an off-roader unlike GV or Safari.

I already mentioned in my report that Safari wins in FE, Power and Cost. Not sure why you need to point that to me again.
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:09   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So instead of comparing a 3L costlier Petrol SUV which gives 7kmpl, you want me to consider 7L costlier petrol SUV which gives 7kmpl. Besides, CR-V is not even an off-roader unlike GV or Safari.
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:14   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
I mean i would rather buy a Honda CRV if it is about ride comfort within 20 Lakhs
Huh? Sorry Rajeev, you lost me there - you mean vis a vis the GV?
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:51   #88
BANNED

The Safari does bounce under "no load" conditions - such as only 2 or 3 occupants with little luggage. The best ride I have encountered in my Safari is with 5 occupants and the boot area loaded up to the rear seat height.
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:57   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 View Post
The Safari does bounce under "no load" conditions - such as only 2 or 3 occupants with little luggage. The best ride I have encountered in my Safari is with 5 occupants and the boot area loaded up to the rear seat height.
This was with 4 adults and no lugguge condition.
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:43   #90
Team-BHP Support

The safari to compare with the GV is the EX 4x4 and it costs 5L less, not 3L less.
As for vibrations in 5th and 4th, they are there, but less than the 3.0
I engaged 5th at 50 and floored the pedal, till 60 it was vibrating quite a bit.

So if you think the GV is worth the 5L more, go for it. Its definitely a better car than the safari if you ignore the running costs. There is no doubt about that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks