Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2007, 21:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Wow - Sahil - Congrats !! I think you are the first T-BHP member to own a new 5 series Beemer.
Nope. We have an M5 on the forum. Guess!
Old 10th December 2007, 13:24   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
unlike most diesels that run out of steam when nearing the red line, this one feel like a twin turbo...once u cross near 4000rpm there is another boost that comes up all the way till the red line..
Impressive the way new-gen diesels are becoming more and more revv friendly. Great report. Enjoy the beast, Sahil!
Old 10th December 2007, 16:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hey! Good for you Sahil! I can't bear this running-in thing with my new baby, so I'm glad you're now at the point where you can start having fun with yours!

BTW, I hope you ran the car at varying speeds on the expressway runs during the running-in period, so as not to keep a constant engine speed for a sustained period!
Old 11th December 2007, 05:21   #49
Team-BHP Support

Man that musthave been a painful wait... but save the best for last i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Have switched over to normal diesel instead of premium diesel after advice from the dealership as they had a 530d come in with busted fuel injectors and BMW refused to replace it under warranty because the car was being run on premium diesel.
What exactly is the difference??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Nope. We have an M5 on the forum. Guess!
As well as Ashok (though he just sold his), etc etc.

cya
R
Old 12th December 2007, 11:22   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

@ kbk- its hard keeping a constant speed on the expressway due to the lack of lane discipline.

@rehaan- premium diesel have additives i.e turbojet, etc.
Old 27th January 2008, 15:17   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Engine oil low warning came up on the iDrive today. Clocked about 5000kms, isnt a little too early for an oil change?
Whats the best engine oil to fill her up with?
Old 27th January 2008, 17:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Engine oil low warning came up on the iDrive today. Clocked about 5000kms, isnt a little too early for an oil change?
Whats the best engine oil to fill her up with?
It is too early, did you do a manual check?? As for the oil, I think it would be synthetic probably Mobil 1. Check the manual, should be mentioned there.
Old 28th January 2008, 08:45   #53
rippergeo

Quote:
I havent broken the rules just yet 180km/hr comes up at around 2500rpm!
sigh! @2500 rpm all i can do is a 100kmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Do i see a Peted BMW after the warranty?
I knew this would happen.

its ok to be jealous of someone who has a diesel BMW 5 series right? it doesnt mean i'm a bad person. it just means I like diesels and i like BMWs, thats all. but that review is not helping me become less jealous.

Old 28th January 2008, 13:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T
Have switched over to normal diesel instead of premium diesel after advice from the dealership as they had a 530d come in with busted fuel injectors and BMW refused to replace it under warranty because the car was being run on premium diesel.
Good to do what BMW suggests wrt oil and fuel.
But it isnt surprising that injectors not able to withstand just a little higher octane fuel. I understand the electronics on these cars are complicated to mess around it. But these are mechanicals. Maybe something the Germans need to learn from Indian manufacturers like Tata, Mahindra, etc which run fine on any octane fuels (petrol and diesel included). Nothing to tarnish the image of any car maker but something they need to look into for sure wrt the Indian market.
Old 28th January 2008, 13:47   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Good to do what BMW suggests wrt oil and fuel.
But it isnt surprising that injectors not able to withstand just a little higher octane fuel. I understand the electronics on these cars are complicated to mess around it. But these are mechanicals. Maybe something the Germans need to learn from Indian manufacturers like Tata, Mahindra, etc which run fine on any octane fuels (petrol and diesel included). Nothing to tarnish the image of any car maker but something they need to look into for sure wrt the Indian market.
its not that they cant run on higher octane fuel. its that our so called 'premium' diesels are not any better than normal diesels but just have additives that supposedly improve pickup and mileage. these additives mess up the engine and result in black smoke etc. there are a couple of threads on these. even tata and toyota cars smoke when filled with premium diesel.
Old 28th January 2008, 14:11   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like she just needed 1 litre of engine oil(iDrive warning said Engine oil low-please add one litre). Called the service centre guy over and they recommended Mobil1 synthetic or Castrol Super premium synthentic version which BMW strongly recommends. So decided to go for the Castrol instead, costed around 1300rs and seems like it is not available elsewhere as the bottle had the BMW symbol all over.
After putting in about 1.3 litres in, the iDrive displays engine oil to be full.
About more than a litre of engine oil consumed in 5000km, seems a little quick to me...should i be worried or is this normal on german diesels?
Old 28th January 2008, 14:15   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like she just needed 1 litre of engine oil(iDrive warning said Engine oil low-please add one litre). Called the service centre guy over and they recommended Mobil1 synthetic or Castrol Super premium synthentic version which BMW strongly recommends. So decided to go for the Castrol instead, costed around 1300rs and seems like it is not available elsewhere as the bottle had the BMW symbol all over.
After putting in about 1.3 litres in, the iDrive displays engine oil to be full.
About more than a litre of engine oil consumed in 5000km, seems a little quick to me...should i be worried or is this normal on german diesels?
Sahil

A friend of mine had a similar issue with his 325i. The oil light came up after around 5000 kms asking for a litre. Wierd but he still doesnt know why that happened.

Looks like its a general BMW thingy
Old 28th January 2008, 14:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

Engine oil can be consumed too. Nothing to worry unless the need is often and quantity is high.

Last edited by nitrous : 28th January 2008 at 14:32.
Old 20th November 2008, 01:00   #59
BHPian

Hi Sahil,
Any updates on servies etc?
Also when is the 1st service due after you buy the car?
Thanks
Old 20th November 2008, 09:06   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

The first service was over long back at around 10,000-12,000km.
I'm approaching my 2nd service, car has done around 21,000kms in one year.
I have the 5 year/100000km all inclusive maintence package, so services are stress free

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks