Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2008, 00:36   #781
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys will deffinately post the pic of the tyre. Am sure am gonna have one brain storming session in order to get the tyre replaced.
Old 21st October 2008, 10:45   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
A small correction - the Fabia Combi does not have an extra row of seats. Just has more room for luggage. Was supposedly very well received when launched (earlier this year). Also read in Auto Bild that Skoda is known to make pretty good estates

?koda Auto - The new ?koda Fabia Combi - Comfort

Thanks for the correction and info, CB. So far we were bombarded with outdated estates like weekender, altura and octavia combi. But Fabia Combi seems to be cute and practical. So hope for the best
Old 21st October 2008, 12:51   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Hey guys will deffinately post the pic of the tyre. Am sure am gonna have one brain storming session in order to get the tyre replaced.
Good luck, Invinsible. Sink your teeth in and don't let go till they tire out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
Thanks for the correction and info, CB. So far we were bombarded with outdated estates like weekender, altura and octavia combi. But Fabia Combi seems to be cute and practical. So hope for the best
Mysticeyes: maybe this is what aam junta need to stir their 'adventure' juices and have them straying off the beaten path down jungle tracks and into undiscovered angling destinations...naturally, once they buy the Combi. Vive la estates.

I did check out pics of the Combi online and she makes a pretty picture.
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:00   #784
BHPian

OT: traffic on Airport Road, Bangalore

I don't know how many Fabiosi reside in the Pensioner's Paradise, but the Gendarmes just messed things up IMO. If one headed down the old Airport Road towards town, mornings, then post the snarl at Manipal Hospital and the static around Domlur and the flyover, things eased up quite a bit and one could get some decent speed on the dial (even my ex-FireBlade like to stretch her legs in the ballpark of the Command Hospital and the curves leading up to it). 'Speed' is not my criteria here, but free-flowing traffic.

Now, they've gone and put in a clutch of traffic lights: one at the intersection at Domlur and another at the intersection just after the Command Hospital. The problem is that the lights lack any 'intelligence' and operate on a straight-forward timer, resulting in huge pile-ups of traffic in both directions. This never used to happen, and the only conclusion I can draw is that even the rank-and-file traffic cops that would man these junctions did a better job with even the basic intelligence they come with. Will someone please tell the powers that be.

I now need to shut down and re-start the Fabia at least 6 times between Wind Tunnel Road and the turn off the Airport Road before the captured battle tank (leading to Victoria Road, not Secret ), and it's going to tell on her fuel consumption. Drat.

I thought some software firm was helping out with traffic management systems for Bangalore? The cops must have frightened them off. I remember Bombay of the early 70s had synchronized lights: the irony is the IT capital of India is yet to see such inventions let alone anything with more 'intelligence' inside such as lights with sensors built-in or remote-management or both. I hope some heavyweights are listening- I mean IT heavyweights. We'd hate to be labelled a city where the standard of living has ramped up and the Quality of life has sunk like the Titanic.
Old 28th October 2008, 12:02   #785
BHPian

Hot n Cold

Happy Diwali, Fabiosi. May it augur for plenty of Luck, Prosperity and Happy Driving in the year ahead.

I've a question w.r.t. keeping your cool- or getting the hots as the case may be- in our Fabia:
Does one need to keep the A/C 'on' when one is using the Heater? I was told so by a friend, but found the heating quite up-to-speed without having the A/C light kick in.

Another query: does our ICE play MP3?
And one for the road: does the rear windshield have a squirt and how is it operated?
Old 28th October 2008, 23:33   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Happy Diwali, Fabiosi. May it augur for plenty of Luck, Prosperity and Happy Driving in the year ahead.

I've a question w.r.t. keeping your cool- or getting the hots as the case may be- in our Fabia:
Does one need to keep the A/C 'on' when one is using the Heater? I was told so by a friend, but found the heating quite up-to-speed without having the A/C light kick in.

Another query: does our ICE play MP3?
And one for the road: does the rear windshield have a squirt and how is it operated?
Happy Diwali to you too Sir !

I don't think the AC switch needs to be on for the heater, as it is independant.

It plays MP3 cds quite well

press the wiper stalk towards the dash you'll have wash and wipe for the rear.

I am headed to Hyderabad tomm morning, will come back the report the long drive expierience. (not too long, just 750km from here)
Old 29th October 2008, 12:07   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
Happy Diwali to you too Sir !
I don't think the AC switch needs to be on for the heater, as it is independant.
It plays MP3 cds quite well
press the wiper stalk towards the dash you'll have wash and wipe for the rear.
I am headed to Hyderabad tomm morning, will come back the report the long drive expierience. (not too long, just 750km from here)

naikpranav:
Thanks. Now I can test drive my Allman Bros and Cesaria Evora and whatnot. Imagine not knowing that.

Safe journey. And we certainly look forward to reading your involved and keen writing, interspersed with visual relief of course.

Round up Ze Troops
Not much being heard of or from the other Fabiosi. Some are as far afield as Good Olde Blighty, and hence obviously parted from their dear Czech motor, so tis not surprising we can't benefit from their experience, but the others?
Haul them in. Coerce, I say. Inveigle. Invite. Trick. Treat. Whatever it takes, but We the People need to hear from them in their own words, want to hear from them in their own words etc etc.

take care, mate.
Old 29th October 2008, 13:31   #788
BHPian

Back from wilderness

I should apologize that i took leave without permission.I was laid down by a severe viral fever and cough last week. And thanks to the nonstop rain everyday last week, the climate was so wet and cool and this compunded my fever. But who's complaining? seated myself in a rocking chair with a book in 1 hand and a TV remote in other hand and holding a cup of warm tea alternatively(wishing i had more hands), i enjoyed my sick leave and inturn my fabia baby had a full week rest.

It was total bliss (as my wifey and kid was packed off to wifeys home nearby. gave the reason that i'm afraid whether kiddie wud contract fever from me) to be enjoying the bachelor life again, reading up old archives of national geographic magazines dating back to 1970s and 1980s.

But the after effects of nonstop rain has taken its tool and roads are back to normal..with potholes all the way and some brilliant brains in the Public Works Dept. authorized road tarring during rain and thanks to that roads are a total mess now. And after rain, tarring resumed on tuesday and my baby got fully dotted with the tar stains in its alloys and sides, bumper & bonnet. As a result, i had to give my car for a thorough body wash today morning to remove the tar. I hope i get the car back without much strain on the paint. On top of that some idiotic autowallah rubbed in to the rear left door while he overtook me through left. There are 2 thin scratches on the lower side of the door So this is the casuality news for the week

hope rest of the fabiosi fall in line pretty soon..Hail General Netchef
Old 29th October 2008, 15:09   #789
BHPian

Quote:
I was laid down by a severe viral fever and cough last week.
Mysticeyes: Hey, sorry to hear you were unwell. But glad you got repaired (while the roads got tarred), and that you were kept company with Nat Geo and umpteen of the hot cuppa cheer.

"...hope rest of the fabiosi fall in line pretty soon..Hail General Netchef"
That had me in paroxysms of laughter! Made me sound like Hitler. Good to have you back, Sir.
Old 31st October 2008, 10:15   #790
BHPian

Battle cries..

Dear Invisible, can you please update on the status of the "bubbles" in your tyre? did you talk with the dealer on this and what is his stand? eagerly awaiting to see you upload some snaps of the bubbles. Anyone got news of Tired Fabia Owner?

Got my baby washed & waxed, free of tar spots. Once Rakesh had cried over the lose of exclusivity if fabia sales picks up in numbers. i guess its turning out true here. 21 new fabias hit the road here this month. any takes on Kerala being the fabia capital of india?

General Netchef, with Honda Jazz and Hyunmdai i20 set to be launched as competition for fabia, we need an iron fisted General like you to lead the fabia brigade. Who else than the man with hold over the cantankerouscataclysmiccryptocalytic words would better serve the purpose?

Führen Sie General Netchef an Die Nase Herum..Lang Lebe Fabia

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 31st October 2008 at 10:16.
Old 31st October 2008, 13:41   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Invisible, can you please update on the status of the "bubbles" in your tyre? did you talk with the dealer on this and what is his stand? eagerly awaiting to see you upload some snaps of the bubbles. Anyone got news of Tired Fabia Owner?

Got my baby washed & waxed, free of tar spots. Once Rakesh had cried over the lose of exclusivity if fabia sales picks up in numbers. i guess its turning out true here. 21 new fabias hit the road here this month. any takes on Kerala being the fabia capital of india?

General Netchef, with Honda Jazz and Hyunmdai i20 set to be launched as competition for fabia, we need an iron fisted General like you to lead the fabia brigade. Who else than the man with hold over the cantankerouscataclysmiccryptocalytic words would better serve the purpose?

Führen Sie General Netchef an Die Nase Herum..Lang Lebe Fabia
Mysticeyes: Sir, good thing you asked Invinsible about his tyres- I completely forgot. I hope he's convinced his dealer to replace them (or, conversely, that his dealer is 'convinsible' ...just Joking, I, no offence meant).

As for TFO, I guess no news is good news. Fingers crossed.

21 Fabias hit the road in your neck of the woods? That's terrific news in my book though many think otherwise. I've been seeing a heap of them on the Bangalore roads too- feel we need some form of 'salute' as we pass another Fabiosi: perhaps flashing our lights. After all we share a philosophy, belong to a camp and we're certainly special.
A beep on the horn will only add to the cacophony out there, so that's ruled out. Any ideas?

Panzer Sauerbraaten: I hope you mean 'General' like General Dynamics or General Motors or even general mayhem! Your German is good and way over my head, but since I don't know more than to say 'Schwinehund', you could well be telling me to pass the Rhiesling for all I know .

Yes, we'll 'unto the breach' and things when the philistines roll out their tin wagons. We'll fight them on the beaches (and sons thereof), we'll fight them in the air (Churchill being ruined).

Where is Rakesh these days? If you bump into His Highness, please tell him the quorum misses him.
Old 4th November 2008, 14:40   #792
Senior - BHPian

Tyre change, ecu errors, key settings, n more..

Hey Guys, Just got back from the vacation on sunday evening and decided to take the car to Dealer. One reason was the tyre bubble and the other to my horror was to find that the MI light stays on after the start, which means should be some problem with the sensors or may be more. So to avoid any further problems and sleepless night, the next day monday morning, left for the dealer visit. As said had a bubble in front left tyre, spoke to service advisor about it. And this is what I got.
Tyre changing policy is if there is any problems with the tyre it could be covered under warranty where the company would bear 100% cost if anything goes wrong with the tyre before 7000kms. After which upto 14500kms run the company bears 70% and the customer bears rest 30% cost. After having a debate with the service advisor, decide to change the tyre with me bearing the 30% which was about Rs.1380 including tax which was also beared 30% by me. Cost of tyre is Rs.4088.

Now regarding the MI light which came on, knew it that it has to do something with the sensor. After the tyre job the car was put on to the ECU examiner. And after few auto scan they found the MAF sensor error. Then they examined the sensor and hose pipe and found that the hose pipe clip was faulty and loose coz of which there was a leak in air, so they changed the clip, rechecked for the errors and found nothing else. Deleted the error and everything was set. But, this just shows the quality of the car where even slight leak in air could be detected with the help of sensors. Simply great!.
Now the other thing I asked them to check was the to check for the readiness code is active or not and to reset it. Now the advantage of it is basically gives slight better mileage and engine noise goes down by wee bit, also leseer black smoke, smoother pick up. So after the discussion I had with them and told them to casually check if the readiness code was active or not. they said they can't detect so they would regenerate it again. It's a 20 minutes process, which was carried out right in front of me. Every single step was done in my presence. Now, normally if you ask them to regenerate the code there would be cost involved but in my case I wasn't charged. Finally after 25 mins it was all done.

One more thing I wanted to check is after reading the manual, where it says that the key has a function where it could be auto locked and told the sercive engineer to check on that and if so activate it. First he said there ain't any function like that available for fabia and its only present in laura and octavia. I insisted and told him that I checked on the manual and it says that it can be done. So, finaly after few checks here and there on the examiner he found out that it could be done. And finally it was. All this done at no cost which was a surprise to me knowing the skoda.

Another thing I got done was got the car fitted with Stebel Nautilus horn along with present horn. This job was done outside. Where a seperate relay and wiring was used along a press button. And this one really helps in getting those ricks and bikers move out. Got it fitted in front near the grill. If incase i would have fitted this one cutting the wiring of the present horn then i could have void my warranty.

As for the drive, well after the readiness code was regenerated found that the pick up was smoother and noticed that when floored the gas pedal there was less of black smoke as compared to before since my car has a remap along with stock filter against the recommended performance filter. But even with stock filter found the pick up mid range was slightly better.
And ya now my car gets locked as it moves up speed from 15 kms and unlocks when I turn off the ignition.

Now the sad part is landed up getting a scratch of the rear bumber right in the middle where the scooter fellow came right in while driving back. But, used the rubbing to get ride of scratches and it has helped a little but the color that has come off atleast by 2 inches in line cant do much about it.

Guess will have to live with until I get feed up seeing it everyday and get it repainted. Looks like it wont take me long to reach to that point.

NETCHEF: Hey did the tyres much needed nitrogen?

And where is everyone else this place is becoming silent zone, come on guys lets make some noise.

Cheers.

P.S. Sorry for the quality of the pic took from my e71, dont think pic would help much seeing the quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-tyre.jpg  

Old 4th November 2008, 15:17   #793
BHPian

Quote:
And where is everyone else this place is becoming silent zone, come on guys lets make some noise.
heh heh...i suppose the problem is that there aint that many Fabia owners in this forum for people to share experiences and opinions
Old 4th November 2008, 16:24   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys, Just got back from the vacation on sunday evening and decided to take the car to Dealer. One reason was the tyre bubble and the other to my horror was to find that the MI light stays on after the start, which means should be some problem with the sensors or may be more.

After having a debate with the service advisor, decide to change the tyre with me bearing the 30% which was about Rs.1380 including tax which was also beared 30% by me. Cost of tyre is Rs.4088.

Now regarding the MI light

readiness code
Now the sad part is landed up getting a scratch

NETCHEF: Hey did the tyres much needed nitrogen?

Invinsible: Hey good to hear from you AND HOW! You had so many things done, I had to step back a bit and even then didn't quite grasp them:

what is MI?
what is readiness code?

My commiserations about the scratch. I too got one under the left front door lower-sill- just about visible on the transparent tape they have there. Happened when I miscued parking alongside a huge granite block, and could kick myself for the carelessness because I'd initially wanted to step out for a physical dekko, but got lazy/thought I had it right. Damn.

Tyres are expensive. I hope they gave you another brand unless it's a bad idea to run 3 of one kind and an odd-man-out.

Sorry, Sir- I've not done the Nitrogen yet. Busy (read: preoccupied) with work. Ok, some beer too, to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
heh heh...i suppose the problem is that there aint that many Fabia owners in this forum for people to share experiences and opinions
CtrlAltDel: Not true, Sir. Just in hibernation for a bit. Recharging their ink reservoirs and solar panels, no doubt (BTW I loved the chick in that group).
We Fabiosi are a tireless and left-of-field and intense and passionate and enthusiastic and knowledgeable and Hakkinen-esque and over-the-top and committed-as-Monks and as-formulaic-as-theoreticians and gimme-a-screwdriver-technicians and inventors and DIY-ers and full-of-advice and off-the-bubble and ever-ready-to-help and gracious and darned keen photographers as I hope you've seen.

Watch this space.

Last edited by netchef : 4th November 2008 at 16:27. Reason: spello
Old 5th November 2008, 12:39   #795
BHPian

Dear Invinsible, it was a great writeup and so helpful, though I couldn't make out some terms Can you please describe more on the auto locking mechanism in the key?

As for fabiosi cooling their heels now, i think they're snug as a bug in a rug since te winter set in at some parts. But the tranquility is much better than some tincan vehicles roaming around with a capital 'T'. the number of views and posts is a testomony to the popularity of this thread.

to the front, General Netchef, we would show them their place in dungeon

zur Vorderseite, General Netchef, würden wir ihnen ihren Platz im Kerker zeigen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks