Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 16:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

mine ( turbo) had 1k rpm during run in. after the first 1000km or so, it dropped to 800 rpm. Wonder if it happened naturally or the Tass. folks did it
Old 29th August 2008, 18:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Also noticed yesterday that idle rpm is always close to 1000 irrespective of
> AC on or off (see pic attached). Also when AC is switched off, rpm

If you have the service contact's phone number, do check with him.

Your Idle speed control seems to be misbehaving. The Idle RPM should be around 850. and could go to 1000 with AC on.

I don't have access to a DICOR to check the RPM.

Is there anything in the manual regarding this?

The more torque of the DICOR may not need a increase in RPM to run the compressor, but the 950 RPM idling would eat into the mileage.

For your running, the average seems to be fine.
Old 31st August 2008, 16:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
Also noticed yesterday that idle rpm is always close to 1000 irrespective of AC on or off (see pic attached). Also when AC is switched off, rpm momentarily goes past 1k mark before returning to the idle rpm position. Is this normal with TATA DICOR engine or is something wrong?
My XL has idle RPM of 800. Right from the first day. As you mentioned it goes slightly up for a second when A/c is switched on, then returns to 800 RPM. IMO idle RPM of 1000 is higher, get it set from TASS.
Old 8th September 2008, 19:53   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
My XL has idle RPM of 800. Right from the first day. As you mentioned it goes slightly up for a second when A/c is switched on, then returns to 800 RPM. IMO idle RPM of 1000 is higher, get it set from TASS.
Took her to TASS 2 days back. Service advisor says idle rpm is perfect. In fact he says that on a DICOR engine, the idle rpm will always remain stable no matter if AC is on or off!! Is that true?

Also noticed that the engine is a little quiter now - they had obviously done something as the car was in the shop floor for almost 1 hr to check the idling issue.

FE is still a cause of concern - getting an average of aorund 10+ only. Have started using System D to check if that helps

Yet to take her out on a long run.
Old 8th September 2008, 20:47   #35
BHPian

Quote:
In fact he says that on a DICOR engine, the idle rpm will always remain stable no matter if AC is on or off!! Is that true?
Yes, that's true as per my experience for 3 months and 6000 kms with my XL. Except my XL has idle of 800 RPM.

Quote:
FE is still a cause of concern - getting an average of aorund 10+ only. Have started using System D to check if that helps
If everything else is the way it should be, it boils down to your driving style/ habbit. Are you using heavy foot on accelerator?
Old 8th September 2008, 22:56   #36
BHPian

Rear seat AC blowers in indigo XL. did know that which other cars <10L have these?
Old 9th September 2008, 10:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
Yes, that's true as per my experience for 3 months and 6000 kms with my XL. Except my XL has idle of 800 RPM.

If everything else is the way it should be, it boils down to your driving style/ habbit. Are you using heavy foot on accelerator?
Bouncer, Thanks for that quick response. on the driving style, the car runs almost 70 kms a day of which I get to do only <10. Rest all is by my driver who has the tendency to run it at rpms less than 1500. Probably that is the main contributor to the low FE!!
Old 12th September 2008, 13:33   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
congrats on the new interior work.

the rear seat covers do not seem to be a proper fit - looks loose.
Murali, Thanks for the compliment. Yes they did appear to be a lose fit initially. But now after 15 days of trampling by my kids and a bit of tightening up the tieup chords, it has got into the right shape.
Plastic mat came off and Radi Warehouse replaced the entire mat free of cost and did a proper finish this time.
Old 12th September 2008, 13:53   #39
BHPian

Mods: Can you add this to the title please "Update at 2500k after first highway run"

Took her out on her first highway run today when we went to a village called Thennangur about 108 Kms from Chennai. Watch out for a brief travelog in the travelog section.

Wanted to discuss here some of my observations from this ride.

Total distance covered - 216 Kms;
AC on - 100%
Top speed 95kmph.
Fuel consumed - 13.5 lits (HP regular Diesel + .1% System D)
FE overall - 16 kmpl.
Correction for local driving:
Distance covered in City driving conditions / village roads (max 30 kmph / 3rd gear) - 15 kms
Possible fuel consumed (based on past average of 10.25 kmpl) - 1.46 lits
FE after correction - 201/(13.5-1.46) = 16.79 kmpl.

I feel this is a little low going by what I have read on this forum. Also noticed a lot of engine vibration while cruising on 5th gear around 1750 rpm (75-85 kmph). This was not definitely from the tyres.

Have already called up T.A.S.S and informed my service advisor of these issues. Any suggestions folks?
Old 13th September 2008, 16:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Fuel consumed - 13.5 lits (HP regular Diesel + .1% System D)
> FE overall - 16 kmpl.
> FE after correction - 201/(13.5-1.46) = 16.79 kmpl.

The following is a message I put up in another forum comparing the XL DICOR and my Marina LS Tdi. This was a year back and both had similar odo readings in the 30000 kms range.

"When I had the chance, I tried to compare the mileages of the two vehicles. I tried to match the distance, the route, the drivers and driving parameters as closely as possible.

Over a distance of 147kms, the Indigo XL consumed 8.72l giving me a mileage of 16.86kpl. The Marina went for 149kms (after all the careful planning, the distance overshot by 2 kms) using 7.77kpl which was an excellent 19.18kpl. Both calculation with AC on all the time."

The driving was on different days and whereas the Marina was our regular car, the XL was a guest. The XL also used by more drivers than it should!

The results could have been different and more accurate with the cars driven back to back at the same time. But time and circumstances did not allow for that.

I am sure with more kilometres under its belt, the DICOR would do even better.
Old 7th October 2008, 19:36   #41
BHPian

My first major problem - probably?

Looks like the honeymoon is over and trouble has started.
My driver informed me just as he was getting relieved for the day that the "Water in Sedimenter" lamp was coming on while driving. When I started the engine the warning lamp behaved normally. So I brushed his complaint aside and took her out. Got her filled to the brim and was on my way when suddenly the warning lamp came on again. Initially it would go off whenever I hit a pothole or a bump but after a few 100 mtrs it stayed put. I had by then reached my destination and decided to call my service advisor @ Concorde Motors for guidance. As soon as I parked her the idle speed started climbing up. As it touched 1500 rpm I got scared and switched her off. After multiple calls to the helpline folks and a call to the CRO@concorde, I have been promised immediate attention. And here I am waiting for them to come and drain any collected water and confirm that I can drive her back the 18kms to my home.

More to come soon.
Old 7th October 2008, 21:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

I think we have had this issue, on Safari's, being mentioned here. The solution was to drain the water from the 'sedimenter'. If someone can say where the sendimenter is, I guess it is just a DIY.
Old 10th October 2008, 13:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I think we have had this issue, on Safari's, being mentioned here. The solution was to drain the water from the 'sedimenter'. If someone can say where the sendimenter is, I guess it is just a DIY.
Well that was what the mechanic did. The sedimenter is located right behind the radiator. You need to turn the wheels all the way to the left extreme to have an easy access to it. I also noticed that the drain plug is located so low that if you hit a large pot hole there is all possibility for it to get knocked because of the low ground clearance.
Old 10th October 2008, 15:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

so the problem is solved now? I guess its just a regular feature you need to get used to in a DICOR engine. Make it a habit ( not sure about the interval) - then you wont have any issues.
Old 10th October 2008, 20:25   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
What is Sedimenter or What is DIY?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks