Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2008, 18:05   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Ditto for my ride from Navi Mumbai to Andheri each day. Don't see much of MJDs. Even the Stile (MJD or not) is a rare sighting! I guess it is a good thing for Stile owners, since it remains unique. I just hope it doesn't remain too unique and vanish into obscurity like the Matiz & Cielo!

At least 4 out of 10 small cars is a Swift (Diesel or Petrol), making it too common on the road. Is the Swift heading towards becoming the Pulsar of 4-wheelers?
I second that...since I am from Vashi too and recently owned a Palio Stile 1.6 Formula Red!

I could count the no. of Palio Stiles in Vashi..i can tell you couple of 1.1s and 1 MJD till date I've seen...and I feel gr8 to see turning heads while i drive...and surprisingly people at my office and home have loved the looks, comfort and drive!

Observed people are fancied with Fiat Palio features but when it comes to buying, they play safe with Tata, Maruti or Hyundai

In all, i'm a happy Palio Fan excluding the pathetic dealership experience!

You dont need to worry, Palio wont be phased out..even thou you may continue to be unique on roads in the near future! Its good in a while...spare parts should not be a issue since its on a verge to get all parts localised!

Fiat is not that popular in Mumbai as in South India hence the scarcity...look at banglore...its flooding MJDs!

so chill n await the beauty...

Cheers~
Old 26th September 2008, 20:30   #32
BHPian

Thank you!

Thank you all for reassuring me about my choice - the Palio 1.3 MJD. In my opinion, Tata could be planning to use the Indica-Palio sales as a twin-edged sword to fight Maruti & Hyundai in the diesel hatchback segment.

Obviously, Tata would have planned some long-term marketing initiative to ensure non-cannibalistic co-existence of the Indica Vista Quadrajet and Palio 1.3MJD. Else, how short-sighted would Tata come across as for launching a model (Palio 1.3MJD) and discontinuing it soon after? A closer look at the ex-showroom price of the 1.3 SDX and Indica Vista top-loaded model might reveal what pricing strategy Tata is using to competitively position these cars. The 1.3 SDX is priced at 4,78,880 in Mumbai. Does anyone know what is the ex-showroom price for top-loaded Vista?

Also, Tata is known for taking over companies on the verge of bankruptcy and giving them a new lease of life, for example, Land Rover & Jaguar. At least Land Rover was doing badly in the UK, and sold the Indica as the City Rover for quiet some time. Ditto for Fiat.

As for the purchase progress, I'm one step closer to my MJD. Just received an SMS from the bank saying my loan is approved!
Old 26th September 2008, 22:40   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
What Ctrl-Alt-Del mentions is EXACTLY the kind of misinformation being spread by Tata
arre yaar...what had me worried was not a random Tata showroom employee saying that, but the comment from Ratan Tata himself that Tata and Fiat wouldnt compete in the same segment. what could it possibly mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR
A closer look at the ex-showroom price of the 1.3 SDX and Indica Vista top-loaded model might reveal what pricing strategy Tata is using to competitively position these cars. The 1.3 SDX is priced at 4,78,880 in Mumbai. Does anyone know what is the ex-showroom price for top-loaded Vista?
both QJD Aura and MJD SDX are priced almost the same. In hyderabad, both MJD SDX and QJD Aura cost around 5.5L on road, give or take a couple of thousand. they are competeing products in the same segment.

i am not trying to be a wet blanket or something but only telling why i opted out of booking an MJD. no doubt MJD is a cracker of a car, but i dont plan to keep any car more than 36-42 months at the most so i dont want to take the risk of having something that might not sell at a good price later.

anyway MJD is said to get better with age and may be a great long term car to be owned for at least 6-7 years (which i dont plan to).
Old 27th September 2008, 00:02   #34

What would be the difference b/w palio sdx and indica vista aura resale values after 3 yrs and 5 yrs? I doubt if it will be an awful lot even if fiat discontinues palio.

Also dont Indicas themselves hold much lesser resalve values?

The new vista aura quadrajet is quite impressive though.

Dueller congrats on your purchase. Im sure you will have a great time in your new ride. Do post pics. I too am going for the sdx very soon.
Old 27th September 2008, 10:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxv_mustang View Post
What would be the difference b/w palio sdx and indica vista aura resale values after 3 yrs and 5 yrs? I doubt if it will be an awful lot even if fiat discontinues palio.

Also dont Indicas themselves hold much lesser resalve values?

The new vista aura quadrajet is quite impressive though.

Dueller congrats on your purchase. Im sure you will have a great time in your new ride. Do post pics. I too am going for the sdx very soon.
the real diffrence would be not in the value but the pride of driving a palio, as i have driven one for almost 7 years and there were tears in my eyes when i finnaly parted ways with it, to an extent that i didnt wanted to sell it so gave it to a orphanage. Palio is a damn good cars and owners pride congratulations on your choice.
Old 28th September 2008, 18:24   #36
BHPian

Its true . Being a new MJD SDX owner I feel proud whenever I am at a RED light and heads turn towards it.

The longer I am in the Pilot seat the more I want to be there.
Old 29th September 2008, 14:39   #37
BHPian

A few more updates to the purchase progress. On Saturday, got a call from the dealer to come over and sign the loan papers and give them the PDCs. Signing had my fingers aching - 65 to 70 signatures! Wow, these days, writing has become such a pain, thanks to the keyboard. Car delivery is tentative for Saturday, October 4th.

While at the Dealer, decided to TD the Vista QuadraJet - just for the kicks. Found the car to be better than any Indica I have driven before. The car felt smooth and A/C was cooling sufficiently even in the afternoon heat. Found navigating in traffic a little difficult, probably because I'm so used to the tiny Zen. Also, the centrally-positioned console was a little unusual for me, and had me taking my eyes off the road instead of keeping them there. I understand this is very subjective and might prove to be a boon, once you're used to it!

After getting off the traffic, drove the car into a relatively empty road to feel the turbo kick. Found that the turbo kick felt gentler compared to the Palio. The factory-fitted ICE (branded "TATA") is good, but could have been much better. The TD car was noisy, and the dealer told me that this is a one-off case because it is a TD car, abused to the core. Parked the car back in the showroom after a short TD and headed to Maruti to check the progress of body work on my Zen. While there, TD'd the Swift VDi, back-to-back after the Vista QuadraJet. The Maruti (Automotive) showroom is located in Navi Mumbai and the TD allowed me to rip the car - thanks to the empty roads of Nerul. First difference of the VDi is that is much more revv happy and begs to be floored. Hit 120 in a short-stretch with the speedo needle turning faster than any other car I have driven. The TD car, again, had some 23k and seemed well run. In terms of sheer drivability and the fun-to-drive factor, I'd rate the Swift as the best, then the Palio & finally the Indica. A surprising fact to me, knowing that all the three have the same Fiat heart!

As for my 1.3 MJD, shortlisted the following accessories to be installed at the dealer - mud flaps, floor mats, original Fiat antenna, sun film, and car cover. Will buy the seat covers, perfume and ICE outside for better choice and bargains. Plan to install 6 speakers (SDX has wiring ready for 6 speakers), amp, woofer and HU with USB in.

Any place in Navi Mumbai where I can get a clean, professional install, without cutting/splicing and hacking around the new car? I know the lane full of accessories shops in sector 17, but felt pathetic after seeing the way they installed the ICE on my Zen.

Cheers!
DueLLeR

Last edited by DueLLeR : 29th September 2008 at 14:40. Reason: HTML tags showed up in post!
Old 29th September 2008, 15:44   #38
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Although I'm a bit late in congratulating you, here is what I have to say -

Your choice rocks as does your signature!

Happy driving!
Old 30th September 2008, 01:37   #39
BHPian

Dueller,
you can refer this thread for the ICE of the palio http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ce-thread.html have no idea about good installers in vashi.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

CAD ji - the #$*$#(* problem with Tata is that unlike Maruti reps who sell both WagonR and Zen (both boxy cramped cars with similar engine, similar ride) efficiently, UNLIKE tata-fiat. there's NO standard spiel.

and the dated kit level on the MJD is anyways shameful.
Old 30th September 2008, 15:53   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Although I'm a bit late in congratulating you, here is what I have to say -

Your choice rocks as does your signature!

Happy driving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipt123 View Post
Dueller,
you can refer this thread for the ICE of the palio http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ce-thread.html have no idea about good installers in vashi.
Thank you, JVH & sudipt123!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
CAD ji - the #$*$#(* problem with Tata is that unlike Maruti reps who sell both WagonR and Zen (both boxy cramped cars with similar engine, similar ride) efficiently, UNLIKE tata-fiat. there's NO standard spiel.

and the dated kit level on the MJD is anyways shameful.
As someone pointed out in another thread, redesign of the dashboard is an expensive exercise. Tata's idea behind Vista Quadrajet's centrally positioned console is that it can be readily reused in a LHD application, and hence saving costs!

A newer dash on the MJD with digital consoles would have pushed the price to match the Swift DDiS or may be higher, which would have further reduced sales! So much for corporate sales strategies. I, as a consumer, would have loved a new dash. I agree the present one is dated, but very functional and pleasant nevertheless! MJD's (or Palio Stile, generally) consoles are manufactured by Veglia Borletti, which is what you would find inside an Alfa Romeo & Ferrari, if I'm not mistaken!

Cheers!
DueLLeR

Last edited by DueLLeR : 30th September 2008 at 16:02. Reason: Ate up words in the original post, added them now.
Old 6th October 2008, 01:58   #42
BHPian

**UPDATE**

My Magnesium Grey Palio 1.3 MJD is now delivered. It was a lot of running about for the showroom guys who wouldn't deliver the car before registration and me who insisted delivery on 4th October itself.

Got a call from the dealer at around 5.30 pm on Saturday saying that the car is on the way. Got ready and drove to the dealership. Arrived there before the Palio and the wait was exasperating. Finally she came! Got an almost VIP 3-digit registration number - 343. The PDI guys quickly readied her up and installed the seat covers, perfume, and sun film, while I could not take my eyes off her.

Did a quick check of the body, electricals, engine and interiors before signing the delivery note. The dealer presented me with a Ganesha idol, box of chocolates, and a thali for pooja. Bro made a Swastik on the plastic engine cover, mounted the garland, and I broke the coconut. Thanked the dealership guys for standing me and working those extra hours for ensuring my car delivery. Also paid the guys readying the car some "baksheesh" and the smile on their faces spelt blessings for my new car.

Drove her home very carefully, almost like a newbie driver. Took family for a drive and then dinner. Come Sunday morning, it was time to ICE her up. Installed a Sony XPlod HU with Bluetooth connectivity, JBL front components, JBL ovals for rear, JBL 1000w woofer, and a JBL GTO 604 amp. The installation was done in sector 17, Vashi under strict supervision (me!) to ensure no wire is cut & spliced. Sorry for the generic names, I don't remember the model numbers as of now. Also got the number plate replaced to better quality ones, as the one supplied by the dealer was the metal sheet type and kept rattling. Today evening, got the pooja done.

Have some questions, though.
  • When I turn the key, the fuel pump is quiet audible. Much louder than my Zen. Is this normal? Can other MJD owners confirm?
  • I'm upshifting at around 1.5k and sometimes 2k (maximum), the car seems to go quiet fast even with these low rpm shifts, giving me a feeling that I'm not running her in like the way I should. I accelerate smoothly, not too slow not too fast. Any suggestions specific to Diesels/MJD are welcome as this is my first Diesel car.
Finally, here are some pictures of my new car.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Attached Thumbnails
Booked my Palio 1.3 MJD Today! EDIT:  Got delivery now-10052008292.jpg  

Booked my Palio 1.3 MJD Today! EDIT:  Got delivery now-10052008291.jpg  

Booked my Palio 1.3 MJD Today! EDIT:  Got delivery now-10052008295.jpg  

Old 6th October 2008, 02:33   #43
BHPian

Hey mate! congrats, the grey beauty looks very nice. I think you can safely shift between 1800~2500 rpm. avoid luggin the engine, also avoid continuous constant rpm, vary it between this range. I think she will hold up fine.
About the fuel pump thing- no clue, cause my grey beauty(Indica) is much noisier than the MJD.
Old 6th October 2008, 09:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

Lovely. Congrats. Palio looks lovely in that color.

Cool setup except for the xplod !
Old 6th October 2008, 09:49   #45
BHPian

beautiful!!! cheers:

your up-shift RPM is alright. dont cross 2000RPMs before you upshift at least until the first service. later you may cross that without any problems but i must tell you that it will slightly lower the FE, in case you are bothered about that. 1800 to 2000 RPM is perfect for normal peak-hour city conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks