Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 22:54   #496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Who cares how thin the sheet metal is - it is the way the chassis is built that protects you in case of a crash and it has been proven many times that Japanese "tin cans" protect you just as well as European "tanks" in case of a crash.
I Agree. Formula-1 car's should be an example. Any sheet metal will crumble, it's the chassis that matters. The car should also have a decent Crumple Zone.
Old 6th January 2009, 05:06   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Come on dude, in any accident where there's contact above 20KMPH, it doesn't matter if the sheet metal is Skoda thick or Honda thick. They will get crushed - they are supposed to get crushed to absorb impact forces. Either way, you'll have to reshape/repaint or replace/repaint. In a contest between concrete and sheet metal, the concrete will win, Skoda or Honda on the other side.

Besides, that's what insurance is for
Pay for your own car and you'll realize how painful it is inspite of insurance. If a car hits concrete, there's hardly any chance of it escaping with minor damage. However if you get rear ended by another vehicle for no fault of yours, I'm sure this new city will get pushed in like a tin can and will be very very expensive to repair.

In contrast my car was once rear ended by a maruti zen and all that happened was a cracked bumper. The zen had its front completely smashed and was rendered inoperable. The engine block was gone.
Old 6th January 2009, 07:24   #498
Senior - BHPian

I have paid for my own car. And I didn't go gleefully clapping my hands when some biker rammed into my rear bumper at a red light. I didn't sleep that night. I suggest you stop thinking that I don't care for my car. I'm done here.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:11   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Pay for your own car and you'll realize how painful it is inspite of insurance. If a car hits concrete, there's hardly any chance of it escaping with minor damage. However if you get rear ended by another vehicle for no fault of yours, I'm sure this new city will get pushed in like a tin can and will be very very expensive to repair.

In contrast my car was once rear ended by a maruti zen and all that happened was a cracked bumper. The zen had its front completely smashed and was rendered inoperable. The engine block was gone.
I think there is a point here. While the crumple zones are good for high speed crashes, good gauge body helps in avoiding small dents getting accumulated.
I had the first hand experiance of this aspect as I used to visit the workshop very often with my NHC to get rid of the dents where as I never had a single such issue with Ford Fusion.
Once I hit a dog in my NHC and the dog screamed and ran away, apperently still in good shape. To my shock the headlamp assembly of my car went out of alignment resulting in fairly expensive repair. This may be something to do with pedestrian safety design.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:30   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post

The front of any car gets more damaged than its own rear. This is common occurrence. Didn't know Zen and City share design/wares. Bumpers are not fixed to the sheet metal.

Don't we have more people who pay with their own money on Hondas than Cedias?(dont know how many times more).
Old 6th January 2009, 21:32   #501
BHPian

Recently I had an experience when I was driving back from office to home I was literally driving at 10 kmph on one of the turn and suddenly I heard a screeching sound and bang was the sound I heard. I thought my god my bumper is gone and I am gone for a big loss but to my surprise when I came out one side lock of bumper was broken and there was a big scratch only.....
I myself pushed the bumper back to its position and it was ok and next morning I went for dry denting and I paid only 40 Bucks and all scratches were removed except few where paint was removed.

I was impressed with Honda quality.

PS: Car who did this was a Santro and he was gone before I could catch hold of him...
Old 12th January 2009, 00:03   #502
BHPian

here I have to differ.
With two on board, myself and my colleague, the car scraped the speed breaker in heart rending fashion..and mind you I had slowed to a crawl.
I did not like the look on my friend's face, it was his baby you see.
But the car impressed me with its refinement and lack of the rubber band effect when the auto tranny changes gears. The interiors are another story altogether. I had the chance to check out the Linea before this, didn't drive it though and boy that car was a revelation ! Very good interiors.The new City's headlights are on the weaker side.
Old 15th January 2009, 12:25   #503
BHPian

TOVA's full review of ANHC

Hey Guys
TOVA now has a full review of the ANHC.

2008 3G Honda City First Look

Enjoy !!!
Old 15th January 2009, 13:55   #504
BHPian

I drove the ANHC and Linea in single day. There is definitly benifit when you talk of Build like tank. There are two different thing when you called build- build quality and build like tank. When you call it build quality that means, there shouldnt be ratteling noise or loosing outer/inner parts of the car with the age. Honda build quality is good on the other hand Fiat offers build quality with tough metal sheet. If you want to experience the real difference, drive both the car on bad pach of the road at atleast 80KMPH, and hear all tyre noise and thud noise in ANHC on the other hand Linea hardly you can listen any thud or tyre noise.
Old 15th January 2009, 15:10   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I drove the ANHC and Linea in single day. There is definitly benifit when you talk of Build like tank. There are two different thing when you called build- build quality and build like tank. When you call it build quality that means, there shouldnt be ratteling noise or loosing outer/inner parts of the car with the age. Honda build quality is good on the other hand Fiat offers build quality with tough metal sheet. If you want to experience the real difference, drive both the car on bad pach of the road at atleast 80KMPH, and hear all tyre noise and thud noise in ANHC on the other hand Linea hardly you can listen any thud or tyre noise.
Very well said. One is about precision and other is about robustness. Other advantage of having tank-like build quality is, car tends to accumulate lesser number of dents over the years.
This is one of the aspects I was not happy with ANHC (Feel of plastics and light steering are other) but I guess the other strengths I was looking for in the car are making me to go ahead ANHC

Last edited by Guna : 15th January 2009 at 15:15.
Old 15th January 2009, 15:24   #506
BHPian

That's the funniest stuff to hear so far this year. Even the salesman thinks that fog lamps are for 'extra illumination'

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post

Earlier in showroom I had asked about the lack of fog lamp and the salesman said the headlight will more than compensate for that!
Old 16th January 2009, 00:25   #507
BHPian

Did a TD of the G3HC.
My observations
1. externally looks good. period
2. internal - looks to be a bigger car. dashboard is nice.
3. Drive - acceleration not very fast as 118bhp suggests (does not blast like a rocket). engine noisy at higher revs / speeds.
4. GC issue? the car touches with thud while crossing bigger speed-breaker. the saleswoman told me to cross speed-breakers in a diagonal fashion.
5. ride comfort - just ok. not very good. fiesta / ford ikon diesel better. lot of vibrations transmitted. Back seat space is huge. thigh support is little less.
6. beige interiors are bad. the colour is not comfortable at all.
overall a good large vehicle..for peace of mind feeling
overall good package
Old 16th January 2009, 15:30   #508
BHPian

Small TD

Yes it was a small TD, hardly 2 kms.

My observations

- Looks good. Infact looks sporty the sole spoiler being the 175 section tyres.
- Initially i thought the rear spoiled the overall look, but after close inspection i think it will grow on us with time
- The windsreen has a sharp rake and combined with the seating position feels a little cozy/cramped (BTW i am 6 and arnd 90 kgs)
- Rear is spacious in terms of legroom and shoulderoom thoug with the low roof and raised floor in the middle it feels a bit cozy/cramped.
- Huge boot
- The dash is ok..nothing gr8. The doors are well built and look good though compared NHC appear a bit plain jane. Dull beige off white trim is boring.
- The display looks good.
- Silent engine, very smooth, slick gearbox.
- steering is wierd
Overall seems a better car vis a vis fiesta/verna etc. Though sx4 wins in space.

Thanks
Elito
Old 28th January 2009, 09:32   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post

Well said. But which one of the two cars, do you think rides better?
Old 28th January 2009, 11:32   #510
BHPian

I test drove the Linea and while it has decent space inside, legroom and the general feeling of roominess is more in the City. I think Honda has better interior design,they maximize the space and while Linea could be spacious the designers did not apply themselves enough with the space they had. The Linea seats are quite thick and the back is somehow disjointed from the front, the City feels more integrated and thus roomy.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks