Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 11:39   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Performance:
Now, I was impressed, it was much better than I expected, especially after reading some bad reviews here. For a 3 cyl, 1L engine, I wont complain, because its performance is actually better wagonR which has a much bigger engine but not as good as that of i10.
It is not, I own a Wagon R. Wagon R's response is much superior than A-Star.
Old 9th December 2008, 11:40   #317
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Zxi variant will cost 4L ex. showroom after the 4% CENVAT reduction - this is a good news for me

when I checked on the road price of Zxi in Kerala and Karnataka I found a difference of around 25K. I will be driving it in Bangalore and visiting my home (Kerala) once in 3 months. I am thinking whether to buy in Kerala or Karnataka.
If you drive mostly in Bangalore, it is advised you buy it from here, because according to the rules if you are driving and out of state registered vehicle in Bangalore, you have to pay road tax here. So, if you have a kerala registration, be prepared to be stopped by cops or fined.
Old 9th December 2008, 13:40   #318
BHPian

Quote:
If you drive mostly in Bangalore, it is advised you buy it from here, because according to the rules if you are driving and out of state registered vehicle in Bangalore, you have to pay road tax here. So, if you have a kerala registration, be prepared to be stopped by cops or fined.
How does that work? Say if you get caught and fined Rs 300 every 3 months, it will still probably work out cheaper? Or do they keep track of how many times your vehicle has been fined and escalate the punishment etc?
Old 9th December 2008, 15:19   #319
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
How does that work? Say if you get caught and fined Rs 300 every 3 months, it will still probably work out cheaper? Or do they keep track of how many times your vehicle has been fined and escalate the punishment etc?
They just fine you. I dont know if they escalate the punishment.
And it is not the fine per se that is the problem, it is the inconvenience. The cops see an out of state number plate chances are they might stop you. But they rarely stop locally registered cars.

Till recently they used to spare cars, and mostly bikes used to get booked. But nowadays i see too many cars getting booked.

Anyway, these are OT, i was just responding to Latheesh. There might be other thread for these discussions.
Old 10th December 2008, 09:28   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They just fine you. I dont know if they escalate the punishment.
And it is not the fine per se that is the problem, it is the inconvenience. The cops see an out of state number plate chances are they might stop you. But they rarely stop locally registered cars.

Till recently they used to spare cars, and mostly bikes used to get booked. But nowadays i see too many cars getting booked.

Anyway, these are OT, i was just responding to Latheesh. There might be other thread for these discussions.
Thank you guys, I will find out the correct thread (FYI I used to ride my KL registered shogun in Jamshedpur, North Karnataka and Bangalore)

waiting for the mileage figures of A-Star, Initial reports looks impressive
Old 10th December 2008, 10:11   #321
BANNED

Everyone is complaining about the poor bootspace of A-star when compared to WagonR...

So how much is the difference in the volume(in ltrs) of both ?

I know that boot space is not only about the volume, but also in the way the boot is constructed.
Old 10th December 2008, 10:18   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Everyone is complaining about the poor bootspace of A-star when compared to WagonR...

So how much is the difference in the volume(in ltrs) of both ?

I know that boot space is not only about the volume, but also in the way the boot is constructed.
Dont have the exact answer to your quesiton, but i might add, i had once transported 29inch CRT TV(non flat!) in the boot of wagonR ! Beat that.

Last edited by DCEite : 10th December 2008 at 10:21.
Old 10th December 2008, 10:22   #323
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Dont have the exact answer to your quesiton, but i might add, i had once transported 29inch CRT TV(non flat!) in the boot of wagonR ! Beat that.
Now, I got a clear cut idea. But did you fold the rear seats ?
Old 10th December 2008, 11:25   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYJ View Post
The wagonr is a Box on wheels, fold the rear seats and u have a good cargo 'box', whereas the A star is curvy ugly and useless!! :LOL
This indeed is a very much useful and informative contribution my dear friend. Very much appreciated
Old 10th December 2008, 12:34   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Now, I got a clear cut idea. But did you fold the rear seats ?
Only 3~5 degree fold. And there was a person sitting in the back seat too !
(Mine is the earlier model WR with split rear seats).

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th December 2008 at 13:02. Reason: The quoted post is removed
Old 13th December 2008, 17:58   #326
BHPian

I got an opportunity to do a TD of the A* ZXI today at Simran Panvel to assist my friend who was having second thoughts after seeing some reviews. As I drive a Swift my comments should be seen in that background.
The car has a robust look about it. Interiors are O.K, look brighter because of use of lighter colours. Did not like the dashboard because of the unwanted sharp edges at the lower segment and the high upper part putting a fear regarding outside visibility.
The gap between front and back seats indeed is less.
Though the back window looked smaller than Swift's somehow I found the view better than Swifts in terms of angle of the view.
Engine is indeed very silent and the power especially on 1st and 2nd gears very good.
AC cooling is also better than Swift's at lower speeds !!
I liked driving it and it is indeed a good car to drive in the city.
I was not comfortable with the ORVMS as they felt too small in comparison to the Swift's.
The gear shift is satisfactory with the usual Maruti Reverse gear slotting difficulties.
The braking is good, clutch felt a bit hard.
Suspension felt better in comparison to the Swift as it glided over small potholes.

The boot space is O.K. considering the size of the car.

I did not feel anything special about the doors when while opening/closing them as praised by some else in this thread.

I checked out the engine bay. One doubt - is the brake oil something special in A Star, because till date I have only seen red coloured brake oils even in my Swift. This demo A Star had a colourless brake oil !!
Old 16th December 2008, 16:24   #327
BHPian

I learnt that the first oil change as specified by Maruti for A-Star is 15,000km during the third service!Should be the first in India!
Old 16th December 2008, 22:20   #328
BHPian

When the Astar was launched, the waiting period was told to be anywhere b/w 4-8 months depending on the dealer. Last week i got a call from Sagar auto saying that the car will be available in a month and today got an update from them saying that the car is readily availabl, no waiting !!!!! all this in just a month!

Is this due to the downturn or the car has not caught the fancy of the public!!!
Old 17th December 2008, 08:50   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntneo View Post

Is this due to the downturn AND the car has not caught the fancy of the public!!!
Yes,

Cons:
Boot space
Rear leg space
Price (more by 25K)

If you are OK with these then go for it! (Zxi)
Old 17th December 2008, 15:59   #330
BHPian

[quote=ntneo;1096015] When the Astar was launched, the waiting period was told to be anywhere b/w 4-8 months depending on the dealer. Last week i got a call from Sagar auto saying that the car will be available in a month and today got an update from them saying that the car is [quote]
This is the hogwash that Maruti dealers in Bangalore are doing! In hyderabad, the waiting period initially was because of the cars being in transit. Delivery is usually done in about a week after booking!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks