Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 18:48   #31
BHPian

@Ram: It has power windows all round .also a tire upsize will void the warranty.Spolier is very expensive at 5000+painting.
Old 9th December 2009, 19:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends,
can you throw some light on the maintenance costs of the Ford cars. Friends are always putting a blockade to obtain a Ford for me with the reason of high maintenance cost as well as low resale value in comparison with Maruti Cars. Is it true.
Old 9th December 2009, 19:53   #33
Team-BHP Support

I own two cars: A Maruti and a Ford. I can safely conclude that the Ford has asked for a lot more maintenance compared to my Maruti, even though the former is petrol and the latter diesel.
Old 9th December 2009, 19:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

bullboy appears to be having a recurring problem ford A.S.S ( and kairali Ford are no great shakes) seem to be having problems resolving.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nd-engine.html
My Manager had an ikon, and kairali charged him for changing his coolant 3 or 4 times ( and the ford coolant is a lot more expensive than the regular green stuff) because of some coolant leak they were unable to trace.
Old 31st December 2009, 11:05   #35
BHPian

@greenhorn : Since the SC could not fix it ,the car fixed the issue itself . Donno the sound disappeared somehow.
yup ,they changed the coolant for my car 2 times and both time they gave me a zero bill but was surprised by the actual price of the coolant.
Of late i'm feeling the clutch to be a bit hard compared to other cars . any light on this part?
Old 31st December 2009, 11:11   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi Friends,
can you throw some light on the maintenance costs of the Ford cars. Friends are always putting a blockade to obtain a Ford for me with the reason of high maintenance cost as well as low resale value in comparison with Maruti Cars. Is it true.
In terms of resale value for an Ikon, the valuation will make you go numb, as compared to a Maruti of the same value. I had checked with a M&M dealer a few days back about the valuation they could provide on my car as an exchange, and the value i was given made me want to whack them then and there. I controlled myself and walked out of the dealership.

However, what i feel is this is an issue with Ikons since they carry a history of being expensive. I dont suppose the Fiesta suffers the same image.
Old 31st December 2009, 12:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Ford has now come with 2 year or 100k km plus Extra Warranty for 2nd and 3rd year
or max 150k kms (against payment of Rs.8300/ for this EW) for Fiesta. (hope same warranty scheme available for Ikon also?). With these kind of warranty back up, imo, the maintenance cost can be considerably low comparing the past?
Old 24th January 2010, 21:52   #38
BHPian

Third service done

Third service done at 14,160 kms.
Total cost 2470.
Engine oil - 770.68 - mobil
oil filter - 312.22
wash fluid pouch - 49.89
air cleaner - 228.72
misc - 90
Labor - 759.50 (isn't bit on the higher side ?? )

Issues - small rattling sound from pracel tray not rectified.
Clutch is still heavy and need to push to the bottom.
Old 25th January 2010, 09:03   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

@nairrk, The Ikon has an extended wty option : 1 year for approx 7.5k, or 2 yrs for approx 15k. Both options are in addition to the base wty of 2 yrs / 1L km.

@bullboy, which engine oil did you get ? the rate you have mentioned is for mineral oil. Labor looks ok - it is in the same range as other brands.

The parcel tray cannot really have rattling - there is nothing below the fabric sheet except for a 3mm wood-fiber board, stuck with double side tape & 4 clips. Unless you have removed this and put in something else (when putting in the rear speakers).

But what's that air cleaner for ?
Old 25th January 2010, 15:24   #40
BHPian

Small review.
Pros:
1)Mileage Mileage and Mileage.Consistenlty give around 20kpl if driven sedately (i do).
2)Cheap diesel to buy at 5.7 OTR.
3)Good space + boot + all pwr windows.
Cons:
1)Heavy clutch.
2)Harsher ride not bumpy.
3)Boomier and noisy.

@condor, its mineral oil i suppose ,in bill they mention it as 'mobil 5w35' (dont remember the grade number is correct).
its from the LHS parcel tray.Everything is stock even no speakers are there. This is heard when driven on broken road and is not that irritating as it is low.
I suppose it is the air cleaner element.

@ben. such a quick response !!!
normally it is 28-30.The SA told to reduce to 26 but i dont want to sacrifice my mileage.

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2010 at 16:58. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 25th January 2010, 15:33   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Cons:
2)Harsher ride not bumpy.
Whats the air pressure in the wheels like? Reduce it a bit, and the bumpiness would reduce. Also, the suspension would feel more pliant when loaded. Try it and see.
Old 25th January 2010, 16:28   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
@ben. such a quick response !!!
normally it is 28-30.The SA told to reduce to 26 but i dont want to sacrifice my mileage.
28 shouldnt create so much a bumpy effect, and is fine. Do onfirm, though. It is possible the dealers could have inflated further.

Whats the low load pressure ratings which are specified for the diesel?
Old 25th January 2010, 16:39   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

@bullboy, what size tyres & what is the pressure you keep ?

30psi should not cause a bumpy ride.

Attachment 90801

The air cleaner may not be the air filter. The Air filter is possibly more expensive than that, and should not need replacement so soon.
Old 26th January 2010, 13:04   #44
BHPian

@ben , i usually keep it at 30 and will check every refill , normally twice a month.
@condor, stock wheels and tires. I complained to SC, they told everything is perfect and advised to go with 26 psi but i'm bit skeptical about this.
Also ,should i migrate to fully synthetic from next service ?
Old 26th January 2010, 18:50   #45
BHPian

Hi bullboy,

My Ikon TDCI just went through it's 3rd (20k, my car was at 18k) service , according to the manual air filter needs to be changed at the 3rd service which I got changed. Don't see that in your break-up here. Also according to the manual the correct pressure is 32 psi for the front and 30 psi for the rear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks