Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2009, 12:17   #61
Senior - BHPian

@netarchie
Tomorrow I am taking my car for second service. I am going to report what seem to be an issue, but I wanted to know if you have experienced the same.
Occassionally I hear two types of unusual noise:
  1. At low revs/speed, there is a tuk-tuk sound coming from the engine. When the engine noise goes up, either this disappears or you can't make out
  2. There is another sound which is not sharp but more like hissing. This is cyclic, which means, for every 2 seconds it starts gently, becomes noticable and then dies.
Both these are very subtle and not loud, but nevertheless worry me.
Old 8th May 2009, 12:25   #62
Senior - BHPian

#1 : This is a tappety noise right? My Civic started making this noise as it neared 5K KMs with the factory supplied engine oil. It disappeared when the third service oil change was done.

#2 : Could be the A/C's characteristic hissing. Try seeing if the sound goes away with the A/C turned off.

Oh by the way, don't think you're going crazy. Every car nut starts hearing noises that no one else seems to notice.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 8th May 2009 at 12:28.
Old 8th May 2009, 13:14   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
#1 : This is a tappety noise right? My Civic started making this noise as it neared 5K KMs with the factory supplied engine oil. It disappeared when the third service oil change was done.

#2 : Could be the A/C's characteristic hissing. Try seeing if the sound goes away with the A/C turned off.

Oh by the way, don't think you're going crazy. Every car nut starts hearing noises that no one else seems to notice.
Yes very much like a vavle tappet noise.
Other noise cannot be AC as it matches with the corresponding engine speed.

I agree, one can start finding issues which others dont see .
Old 9th May 2009, 08:47   #64
BHPian

@ Guna,
I am not getting the noises you have mentioned from my car. checked it yesterday while driving.
I am sure its a small issue which will be rectified during regular service.
Do update after your service.
Old 9th May 2009, 09:00   #65
BHPian

Trips photos

Attaching few pics of the Trip.
Attached Thumbnails
My new ANHC A/T. EDIT : Third service updates-tbhp1.jpg  

My new ANHC A/T. EDIT : Third service updates-tbhp2.jpg  

My new ANHC A/T. EDIT : Third service updates-tbhp3.jpg  

My new ANHC A/T. EDIT : Third service updates-tbhp4.jpg  

Old 29th June 2009, 21:14   #66
BHPian

3rd Service

Completed my 3rd Service recently , the Odo now reads 9600 kms.
Oil Change, wheel balancing , air filter ect were carried out.

Excellent experience with the Car and with the dealership as well !

I have repalced The Advanced Integrated Audio System in the car and made it a little bit more advance.

Will start a new thread on it soon.
Old 30th June 2009, 15:53   #67
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
Completed my 3rd Service recently , the Odo now reads 9600 kms.
Oil Change, wheel balancing , air filter ect were carried out.
Would it be too much of a bother to ask you for the bill details of the service?

Air filter change is not part of the 10000 km service for my CVT. Is it part of the new one as per service manual?
Old 1st July 2009, 15:32   #68
BHPian

It was engine oil filter, i guess. I will give the bill details once I go through it.
Old 15th July 2009, 21:31   #69
BHPian

Netarchie, you seem to be getting a pretty good FE with your AT. Have you tried using the paddle shifts frequently during a trip, as if you were driving a MT? If so, how does it impact the FE?
Old 11th August 2009, 19:42   #70
BHPian

Hi CBlazer,
sorry for the late rely.
I do use the paddle shift but not much in the city driving. I have not seen any significant rise or drop in FE due to Paddle shift usage in the city.
But on highways its an absolute must and the FE surely drops as I love to hold on to the gears ;-).

Thanks.
Old 11th August 2009, 21:15   #71
BHPian

hi I have a ANHC to. Just wanted to know as to what changes you have made to the audio system. I am really missing a cd player. Thanks
Old 11th August 2009, 22:53   #72
BHPian

Hi Amidoc,
I have completely revamped the audio system in the car. Please refer to this thread for more information.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...c-my-anhc.html

Thanks.
Old 30th September 2009, 20:19   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
I do use the paddle shift but not much in the city driving. I have not seen any significant rise or drop in FE due to Paddle shift
usage in the city. But on highways its an absolute must and the FE surely drops as I love to hold on to the gears ;-).
Sorry, a rather belated thanks! Did a TD of the AT and MT this week. I just wanted to feel the difference between the two versions of the same car. I now understand why people who get used to an auto never want to switch to a manual.

And the paddle shifts are addictive. Tried it on an empty stretch of road. The gurus can comment on this. Can this really replace a manual on highways?

I'm concerned about a few things as far as the transmission+paddle shift goes -

1. How safe/easy are these while overtaking, etc.?
2. Is this as good as changing gears on a normal clutch based system? Any compromises on the longevity of the transmission?
3. I remember a Toyota sales person telling me that the brake pads wore out more often on the earlier Corolla ATs? Is this true for any AT?
Old 30th September 2009, 21:30   #74
Senior - BHPian

I am no Guru but this is what I have experienced (replies in Bold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Can this really replace a manual on highways?
Almost, when driven in S mode where it holds to a gear and doesn't shift up or kick down.

I'm concerned about a few things as far as the transmission+paddle shift goes -

1. How safe/easy are these while overtaking, etc.?
Not sure about safety but extremely easy as you have both hands on the steering even if you have to shift gears in the middle of an overtaking. However it becomes tricky to change the gear during a sharp turning as you loose track of the paddles

2. Is this as good as changing gears on a normal clutch based system? Any compromises on the longevity of the transmission?
Almost as good as the normal clutch based but the experience is not the same. Clutch provides additonal control as you can rev before dropping the clutch. Also with the manual gear stick, you change gears with your 'muscle memory' without thinking or remembering which gear you are in. With paddle shifts you dont have that beneit as it is the same 'up' 'down' levers for all gears and it is easy to loose track of which gear you are in. In other words it is not as 'intutive' as manual stick.

3. I remember a Toyota sales person telling me that the brake pads wore out more often on the earlier Corolla ATs? Is this true for any AT?
All automatics would have this problem as only way to slow down quickly is through braking rather then shiting to a lower gear (and use engine braking) Of course that problem is reduced if you use paddles

Last edited by Guna : 30th September 2009 at 21:33.
Old 1st October 2009, 10:48   #75
BHPian

Can you please share picture of gear knobs and drive options.
Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks