Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2009, 00:25   #1

2009 Skoda Superb: My First week with this baby

Hi, long time reader first time poster. I finally have a car worth talking about, hell, worth gushing and droolin' about!

On 27th March I took delivery of a 2009 Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI from Skoda Autobahn in Worli. This was after a prolonged and detailed comparison with the 2008 Honda Accord 'Inspire' trim model.

I spent half a day eating the brains of both dealers (Honda and Skoda) and finally went for Skoda.

First impressions:
- Driving feedback is terrific! Steering is nicely weighted and silky smooth, if a tad over-boosted at parking speeds, at high speeds it is superbly responsive, with excellent feedback about the road surface

(The Honda Accord, which I have owned and driven extensively - all models, incl the 2008- which I took a long test drive.... well it felt like the steering was only suggesting the wheels to turn, with very little feedback, a completely dead feeling)

- Suspension and handling: Skoda has done a great job here, the Superb handles bonecrushing potholes with aplomb and smoothens rough terrain very well. NVH is higher than in the Accord though.

(Honestly, the Accord feels like a hovercraft, super smooth, but the lack of communication about road conditions plus the floating steering felt wierd- its best a chauffeur driven)

- Performance. I have got to admit, this 1.8 Turbo Petrol really surges! Kickdown the accelerator and a half second later the turbo kicks in, gears drop and this baby swoops forward like a spaceship on afterburners (quiet and deadly fast!). 120kmph is all I have hit (no expressway trip yet).

Put the Tiptronic selector into "Sport" mode and the urgency of the car is scary! I've driven the Merc E280 a lot and the pick-up, gear transitions and revving are VERY similar.

(This car really can beat the Accord in a flat out, however it struggles in urban dogfights with smaller cars... its weight and bulk are evident when threading through heavy traffic)

**Gadgets! Gadgets!** this is why my inner geek made me buy the car!
(Which the 2009 Honda does VERY POORLY, only an audible parking Radar and some ESP, ABS etc which is standard at this price)

- Massive, full color touch screen on center console! Lovely!

- Park Distance Control is FANTASTIC. Overcame my complaint of poor visibility through the rear window. 8 zones graphically displayed with 6 levels each.

- Audio system uses the touch screen VERY NICELY! 6 CD changer, 3.5mm Aux-in, BLUETOOTH AUDIO! (but I havent been successful at setting it up? Has Skoda dropped the ball here?) ... Honda's Audio System display is crap, using all that screen real estate for some basic info.

- Audio Quality is very good, looks like a 6-way setup, with such good bass that my buddy (with 2 subs crammed in his Swift) said "wow! did the sub-woofers come factpry fitted?". I am not a bass lover, but my Armin Van Buuren CDs played crystal clear!

- In-dash Multi Function Display is very nice, with lots of configurable stuff- Coming home and leaving home light settings, convenience settings, Lots of trip data

- Steering wheel controls are excellent, with scroll-wheels and buttons on both left and right of the wheel

- Adaptive Headlights (AHL) A feature which REALLY works! The dual Xenons turn about 30 degrees on all sides. Automatic adjustment for speeding and weather conditions

- Cornering lights, the AHL and fog lamps angle into the curve, this has to be seen to believe, its really nice!

- Built in sun screens in rear windows.. my parents loved this feature (and they drive an E280 hah!)

- Auto dimming Mirrors (ALL 3 of them)

- Dual stage boot (notchback and hatchback style.. its cool) But NO Boot release switch in cabin? At all the security check posts like malls etc, the guards were waiting for me to pop the boot, and I keep having to tell 'em "bahar se khulta hai!"

QUESTIONS? PICTURES? Ask and ye shall receive biased and mushy responses.

Cheers,
BoringProf (yeah like the ones you had in college!)
Old 1st April 2009, 00:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

We definitely need pictures,buddy!! bring em on!.
Nice report.
I know the car's rather new,but any mods/ICE planned?
Old 1st April 2009, 00:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey boringprof! Congratulations!!

Do put up some pics.. And shouldn't this thread be in the initial review section?

Last edited by kb100 : 1st April 2009 at 00:52.
Old 1st April 2009, 00:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! Great choice made here. I can see the excitement in those words and i guess it's going to remain for a very long time to come everytime you step in.

What colour did you get ?

Does the rear AC control is climatronic?

The boot release is just similar to the one in fabia, has no release button inside.

It's the features both safety and comfort where the Superb really shines and makes people think once by heart to choose over the Accord. However if driven by brains it's Accord which wins for a hassle free ownership and lower service maintenance. However if I have choose a 20L car I would rather decide on driving feel factor, features and comfort level which Superb has it all, Simply Superb!

Pictures please, lots of them.
I guess this thread needs to be in initial review section.

Cheers!

Last edited by Invinsible : 1st April 2009 at 00:55.
Old 1st April 2009, 00:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Nice report.
Spoken Like a True BHPian!! And Congrats on the car Prof!!
Old 1st April 2009, 01:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Lovely review Prof. I can see that you are really enjoying the experience. The Superb is a lovely car. Do post pics please . I wish you an enjoyable experience ahead.
Old 1st April 2009, 01:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Nice report.
The only Mods I can think of presently available is a Remap to 220bhp done by Revo Technik | ECU Remap | Engine Management Software| Audi Porsche Seat Skoda Volkswagen VAG though not listed on their website as they just seem to have developed one. I did read some where about it.
Am sure many more would come up with their remap, chip and tuning box.
And beyond that there's always a turbo upgrade and other stuff which am sure could take this to 250hp+ and with EDL(electronic Differential Lock) system it should be able to handle it well.

ICE there is no limit to that, it's endless. I would like to know whether the Stock Head unit comes with 3 preouts or not?

Last edited by Invinsible : 1st April 2009 at 01:09.
Old 1st April 2009, 01:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

awesome car prof, congrats!
thanks for sharing the review with us!
post pics asap, interior and exterior please!
also, how responsive is the touch screen, and is it visible at all times of the day?

cheers
Old 1st April 2009, 01:44   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
ICE there is no limit to that, it's endless. I would like to know whether the Stock Head unit comes with 3 preouts or not?
There are workarounds the stock system as well. However do consider that the next significant step up from the current system will cost upwareds of Rs. 80000. Preferably around 1L.

This would include either a new dash kit and HU or a 3rd party processor (in oth cases expected expense would be around 25-30K) amps, and new speakers including a subwoofer.
Old 1st April 2009, 01:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new car Poof! Hope you have a lot of fun with it.
Old 1st April 2009, 02:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringProf View Post
But NO Boot release switch in cabin? At all the security check posts like malls etc, the guards were waiting for me to pop the boot, and I keep having to tell 'em "bahar se khulta hai!"
Shocking!! Does Skoda havea any logical explanation for this? This would be a lot more helpful than the dual door.

What kind of FE are you getting?
Old 1st April 2009, 08:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase.great buying decision.I absolutely love the superb the old as well as the new despite not having a very positive experience with the old one.Post some pics if possible.
Old 1st April 2009, 08:34   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Shocking!! Does Skoda havea any logical explanation for this? This would be a lot more helpful than the dual door.
You can open it with the remote on the key FOB. Not necessary to go out and open.

The rear twin door is very complex electronics. It works on an electromagnetic boot release with full electric motors to lift the boot/hatch up as well as single touch to close. The last part is damped and the door gets sucked in slowly at the end to prevent the loud thud.
Old 1st April 2009, 08:35   #14
BHPian

Congrats BoringProf - sounds like a great luxury car at value pricing (though the on road price is nearly the same as my 3BHK in Bangalore )

What's the mileage? A boring question, but wanted to know if TSI brings in better mileage

What color?

Cheers,
Old 1st April 2009, 08:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on laying your hands on amazing vfm luxury sedan.
wishing you many happy miles with it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks