Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 09:14   #1

Maruti SX4 - Squealing sound while starting

Hi All,
I bought a SX4 in Oct 2008 and has driven it over 7000 kms.

Whenever I start the engine after a long break (more than 4 hrs), I hear a squealing sound - like something is jammed. This has been there right from the begining but now it has become so unbearable.

Could you please tell me has anyother SX4 owners in this forum has experienced this or know what might be the reason?

thanks
rdee
Old 20th April 2009, 10:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

rdee,
I have a one year old SX4 and have not faced any such problems. What does MASS have to say abou the problem and have you brought it to their notice when you got your car serviced.
Old 20th April 2009, 10:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Check your engine belts. Most probably the alternator belt.
Old 20th April 2009, 11:01   #4
BHPian

I too had it in my ZEN where i used to hear a prolonged sqeal when I first start the car with hand-brakes on. But it automatically vanished after a service. There was nothing in the bill to suggest any work done on it.

But they said that my rear brakes were jammed and they had replaced the rear brake master cylinder and something else. Dont know if this squeal was related to this. Why dont you check yours for the same (even though this might not be the problem)?
Old 20th April 2009, 11:09   #5
BHPian

Hi,

There could be a problem with the Timing Belt, too tight a belt which has also damaged one of the bearings. Please get it checked immediately as your car should be under warranty.

This is just a wild guess and I am not an SX4 owner.
Old 20th April 2009, 11:18   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Most likely alternator or a/c belt. Try switching on the car with a/c at off position. If the sound disappears then it is the latter.
Old 20th April 2009, 11:20   #7
BHPian

Belts need tightening

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Check your engine belts. Most probably the alternator belt.
I second this If the sound is a loud squealing sound on start-up & lasts for 30 seconds or so, just have your alternator belt checked for proper tension. If it doesn't solve your problem, have the rest of the belts checked too.
Old 20th April 2009, 11:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have not experienced it my SX4 but had similar problem in Indica

Does this sound continue while you drive or goes after some time? Could be Fan belt/AC belt, check as suggested by Sudev Saab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdee View Post
Hi All,
I bought a SX4 in Oct 2008 and has driven it over 7000 kms.

Whenever I start the engine after a long break (more than 4 hrs), I hear a squealing sound - like something is jammed. This has been there right from the begining but now it has become so unbearable.

Could you please tell me has anyother SX4 owners in this forum has experienced this or know what might be the reason?

thanks
rdee
Old 20th April 2009, 11:25   #9
BHPian

@ rdee, for some reading and understanding please go through http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...t-s-sound.html (what's that sound??)

Since you can replicate this by waiting for 4 hours I would suggest take it to the service center and show them what it is, to identify and correction. To reproduce the mechanics put water on to the belt so that it cools out faster with water than normal cooling (in your case wait for 4 hours)

In the mean time watch it out to find exactly when it is squeeling (reverse / engaging clutch / AC on, parking etc) so that the identification can match with your finding.

Possible culprits are rubber belts (water pump alternator A/C) - which require tightening / replacement as necessary.

I had the similar issue and in my case it was not reproducible since it didnt appear all the time and only the first start of the day (that too not often). Hence just tightened the belt and on the observation period now. keep us posted on the outcome and solution for the benefit of others.

Cheers! narayanang76
Old 20th April 2009, 11:26   #10
BHPian

I get this in my car too. And was told ( by other bhpians ) that its the belt noise . I get this when I switch on the AC in less than a minute after starting the car.

If I switch on the AC after about 5 mins, I dont get any noise. Assuming this should be taken care of while servicing the car this week
Old 20th April 2009, 11:27   #11
BHPian

Had the same exact issue in the Swift. Was annoying me for quite a while till I took it in for service and mentioned. This happens only after starting up the vehicle after a break of 4+ hours. Otherwise the sound goes away. Fan belt loosening up is definitely the issue. Do check it out with your service center.
Old 20th April 2009, 13:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

Please SEARCH the forum before creating new threads. All this information already exists.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uld-sound.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ise-800-a.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-starting.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...my-esteem.html

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks