Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2009, 20:40   #181
BHPian

I am also a Linea owner and I also feel it is underpowered compared to other cars in the segment. The initial pickup in the 2nd gear is bad in the petrol. Even the diesel needs to be revved well in uphill.

Also when people say it is underpowered they are referring to the time it takes to reach these speeds. No one is saying it cannot reach these speeds !!!

Let us be honest to ourselves. Just because we own a Linea we do not need to say everything about it is perfect. I am in love with my linea but GC and initial pickup are an issue. Since I am a sedate driver I did not feel these two as a big issue and went for the Linea !!!
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:00   #182
BHPian

@ Sathya, in the midst of all the action that took place in the last two pages, we've completely lost focus on your Linea. I actually wanted to compliment on your car's pictures, especially the first one. It is brilliant. The car's profile looks fantastic from that angle. Also, the wheel caps on the Dynamic are looking chunky and nice. Makes a great wallpaper.
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:10   #183
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Guys, seriously! Let stop the moral policing. I am sure everyone of us here have broken a law, or hit top speeds of our cars. Lets stop pretending to be holier than thou.

Sathya, I have no issues that you did those speeds. The only person who is a judge of how safe it was in that situation is the driver himself. However, I would be a lot more careful with a baby on board.

Given the time and space even a swift D can do a the same. Its a different question all together that mostly the whole car will fall apart in the meantime. Also, I think the gearing on the linea is different to the other MJD'd cars like the vista/swift etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Yeah, maybe in a Honda.
No! These days, even Suzi's, Hyundai's can also do such speeds with a few mods.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st January 2011 at 18:16.
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:48   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
The only person who is a judge of how safe it was in that situation is the driver himself.
Absolutely. 100% . I too did some good speeds on NH4 in a zen and got called names here and got morally arrested.
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:49   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
I am also a Linea owner and I also feel it is underpowered compared to other cars in the segment. The initial pickup in the 2nd gear is bad in the petrol. Even the diesel needs to be revved well in uphill.

Also when people say it is underpowered they are referring to the time it takes to reach these speeds. No one is saying it cannot reach these speeds !!!

Let us be honest to ourselves. Just because we own a Linea we do not need to say everything about it is perfect. I am in love with my linea but GC and initial pickup are an issue. Since I am a sedate driver I did not feel these two as a big issue and went for the Linea !!!
I beg to differ here.. Linea MJDs midrange is very strong and you need not trust me for that.. you can look at the ACI reports as well.. It is better than the Honda and the Verna is 3rd and 4th. The only thing that Linea lags is the 0-100 dash which is not very important in the highway travels. In a highway the most important thing is how you pick up from 40s and 60s to 120s and 130s.. and Linea does it with atmost ease!

Ok.. Keeping this apart..I am already planning for the next week end outing in my Linea.. Couldn't stop driving the beauty...

Addiction gauranteed!

Regards,
Sathya
Old 2nd September 2009, 22:47   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, seriously! Let stop the moral policing. I am sure everyone of us here have broken a law, or hit top speeds of our cars. Lets stop pretending to be holier than thou.

Sathya, I have no issues that you did 180kmph. The only person who is a judge of how safe it was in that situation is the driver himself. However, I would be a lot more careful with a baby on board
+ 100

It is the driver who has the descretion to decide what speeds can be achieved at that particular moment.

Have not each one of you tried to attain higher speeds ever in your car?
Just touch your heart and say..........

driving rash is very much different from going fast.

Sathya i can understand that you are now feeling guilty because of all these moral policing. In now way what you did was wrong. you need not even remove the video. It is a proof to show people that linea can attain good sppeds and simultaneously be planted. fiat will treasure it.

your wife was there and that too with a baby around , i know that if you are even driving 1% rash she would have been the first person to sound a warning. the main fact that she herself recorded the video shows that you were driving safe and carefully.

Dont worry buddy. do what your heart says.

Put all these issues back and repost the video.

Last edited by geeash : 2nd September 2009 at 22:49.
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:39   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
+ 100

It is the driver who has the descretion to decide what speeds can be achieved at that particular moment.

Have not each one of you tried to attain higher speeds ever in your car?
Just touch your heart and say..........

driving rash is very much different from going fast.

Sathya i can understand that you are now feeling guilty because of all these moral policing. In now way what you did was wrong. you need not even remove the video. It is a proof to show people that linea can attain good sppeds and simultaneously be planted. fiat will treasure it.

your wife was there and that too with a baby around , i know that if you are even driving 1% rash she would have been the first person to sound a warning. the main fact that she herself recorded the video shows that you were driving safe and carefully.

Dont worry buddy. do what your heart says.

Ashwin.. I removed the video not because of moral policing.. Neither I felt guilty by any bit... I know that I am the best judge of what I can do with my car and what I should not.

I removed the video because anyone who visits this forum should not attempt to do those speeds with some other cars that are not capable to handle those speeds and land in trouble (or they are not skilled to drive at higher speeds).

Last but not least.. We (Lineans) know what our Linea's are capable of...and the last 3 pages of action in this thread clearly exhibits that.

I don't want to add the video again (atleast in TEAM-BHP) which has stirred the attention of so many people within a day (just within few hours) which in itself is a "style" statement for all our Lineas.

3 cheers for all our LINEAs!!!

Regards,
Sathya
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:51   #188
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
I second this. Wish the video was back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
I removed the video because anyone who visits this forum should not attempt to do those speeds with some other cars that are not capable to handle those speeds and land in trouble (or they are not skilled to drive at higher speeds).
It can carry a disclaimer: Don't try on any other car !!
Old 3rd September 2009, 06:14   #189
Team-BHP Support

Why is everyone worried about doing speeds with babies on board? Wouldn't you be worried about doing ahigh speed run when there are babies on board someone else's car? Here's what I understand from various moral posts here:

1) You shouldn't do high speeds when you have a kid in your back seat.
2) You can doreally high speeds and post videos if there is no kid on board.
3) You shouldn't care if there are other road users who could possibly bear the brunt of your stunt. And could have their kids killed in the affair. Is that ok?

Quote:
Given the time and space even a swift D can do a hihgh speeds. Its a different question all together that mostly the whole car will fall apart in the meantime. Also, I think the gearing on the linea is different to the other MJD'd cars like the vista/swift etc.
Ok, the Swift D can do such speeds, no doubt about it. It can probably do much higher speeds, as well. Is that the point of this thread?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post edited to remove high speed figures.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st January 2011 at 18:17. Reason: post edited
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:52   #190
Senior - BHPian

I saw the video before it was taken off and I do agree that the Linea pulled really well. Having owned a Punto MJD, I would say the new Fiat's are underpowered in the first two gears and third gear onwards are adequately powered. It's not the engines but the weight of the car's that makes them under / adequately powered. Has anyone thought how the peformance of a Swift / Ritz would be with the Fiat 1.4 Petrol? In any case, in the Indian context, the cars are adequately powered.

I recently did a 420kms drive on the Mumbai-Ahemdabad highway, a trip that I have done in a Palio S10, Ikon 1.6, Octavia Vrs, SX4 and now the Punto. All the cars took me to the destination in about 3 - 3 1/2 hours. 120 is the maximum we can do safely on Indian highways.I am not moral policing here because I am as guilty as anyone else for overspeeding.

I also agree with Satya that thanks to the Linea's (and Punto) superior dynamic abilities, it does feel extremely safe at high speeds compared to some other cars - at 100kmph I am yawning in the Punto, in the SX4, I am on the edge of my seats. Fiat's are not the best cars in the world and some people may resort to sarcastic comments everytime Fiat is mentioned here and refuse to accept that there is anything good about them but it is a fact that Fiat's are dynamically superior to many other cars in our market today.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post edited to remove high speed figures. Please refrain from posting pics or text on speeds which are over the legal limit on our highways and roads.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st January 2011 at 18:20.
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:59   #191
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Amit, I think we have been waiting for a long time to have you mention the sivler Vrs that shares your parking space along with the SX4 and other cars .

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Fiat's are dynamically superior to many other cars in our market today
Amit, honestly. How many dynamically superior cars has FIAT dished out in India? Palio? Now the Linea/Punto? Feel free to add to the list in case I have forgotten.
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:34   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amit, honestly. How many dynamically superior cars has FIAT dished out in India? Palio? Now the Linea/Punto? Feel free to add to the list in case I have forgotten.
For reasons well known, Fiat haven't launched many cars in India. Yes, it's just Palio, Linea and Punto but all of them have been dynamically superior to almost all cars they compete with.

If question is about quantity, then how many dynamically superior cars have Maruti, Tata and Hyundai launched? I am asking about these three companies because they are the market leaders in India.

At least, Fiat gave us the GTX and S10, what did Maruti give us? Zen Estilo?
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:18   #193
Senior - BHPian

Sathya, nice looking car! Famous last words my friend, I would be careful in your place. Though, its your life.......
Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post edited to remove high speed figures. Please refrain from posting pics or text on speeds which are over the legal limit on our highways and roads.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st January 2011 at 18:20.
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:35   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
To put things in perspective, Fiat has given 1.1 Palio as well & Maruti, Baleno.
I am not talking about engine but about ride and handling and the fine balance between the two. Forget Palio 1.1, even the Linea and Punto are not performance machines but they are dynamically superior to many cars more powerful then them. For example, Punto and Linea (90bhp) ride and handle better then the 102bhp SX4.

Besides, I am sure that the Palio 1.1 is dynamically superior to the Zen Estilo.

As for the high speed topic here, any 1.4L engine can do high speeds. It's not like only Fiat has the technology to achieve this! The point is that at such speeds a Linea will feel more solid, confident and compliant then a SX4 or Verna.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st January 2011 at 18:21.
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:18   #195
BHPian

Hey I would love to attend one of those track days but am not sure if the stock Linea Petrol will smoke many, both on qtr mile or a 1km. I'm pretty sure its power to weight ratio, as well as it's lacklustre second gear will be it's sore points! Mind you it's no drag machine. Lets put things in perspective, its a good handler and ideal for those who enjoy a cruiser! On the other hand would truly love to try the 1.6 palio on a track!

Last edited by pranava999 : 3rd September 2009 at 16:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks